AAC DEFENDER SUPPRESSOR: The locking device

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

AAC DEFENDER SUPPRESSOR: The locking device

Post by usp_tactical_45 »

well here is a small update to my AAC DEFENDER posts, I have some pictures I am going to explain to you.

here we have the locking "end cap" sitting beside the "key", note the actual key sticking up and out of the face its self, the key has a angle in its face as well, that angle mates up with the umps angular "flange" and to me I am pretty sure thats what keeps the suppressor straight on the umps barrel, I am pretty sure thats what "holds it in place" so you dont get a baffle strike.

in this pic we see the "inside" of the locking "end cap" note the two return springs at the bottom of the gate or "dog", push the gate down insert over your barrel and let it snap back up. It can be a little more tricky then that though, that is why this design has such a bad reputation.

when you grab an off the shelf "defender" ( this is my personal opinion ) i feel it has to be "tuned" to the gun aac sets the gate at the "half way point" so to speak, what i mean by that is when you snap it on your barrel it will still move back and forth if you pull and push it into and away from the barrel, their is play their, if you also take into account the springs on the defenders are slightly weak, if you push the suppressor on and do not hold the gate down you can get what i call a "false lock" where it feels that the suppressor gate has locked behind the flange but its not the case, thus when you fire a round the can blows off. aac did this most likely because from reading about hk didnt hold a tight tolerance on the barrel flanges, while some will debate this does sound logical.

to fix both problems you can do two things:

1. heat your locking end cap up and break the locktite loose, take the cap off and change the springs to a bit heavier spring, I did this the only draw back is if you put to heavy of a spring you will NOT be able to just push the can on, the gate will have to be pressed down every time.

2. when installing the cap back on put blue locktite on the threads, start the threads and go a few more turns, insert the suppressor on the barrel and thread the end cap all the way down until the gate tightens up against the back of the flange, push down on the gate, it wont snap back up, back the cap off slowly until the gate snaps up, let the locktight set and your gtg.

if you do the stronger springs you have no worries about any problems if you get it on right, if you tighten the cap up some then the gate cannot slam up against the back of the flange with weak springs they could compress and your suppressor go flying.

so here is the the lock over a ump flange for those that turn their barrels down and install these, and then the key on that note the key is in the key way of the flange this keeps the suppressor from spinning, their is a small set screw on the outside of the can that threads down in and pinches this to keep it from rotating in the tube

no key in place just the lock

the lock down from the back

i feel the best way to mount this is the push and snap, push it on and listen for the snap then tug tug twist twist and shoot, the tighter springs give more of a snap, dont forget not only do you push it on but you have to line up key with key way.

this back cap has also been KG coated looks pretty sharp compared to the anodized flat look aac did

well thats it for now, thanks for looking
Jimmy_Jr
Senior Silent Operator

Re: AAC DEFENDER SUPPRESSOR: The locking device

Post by Jimmy_Jr »

Thanks for showing that! I've been wondering what it looked like inside there. Got any pics of the baffles, or do they not come out?
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Jimmy_Jr wrote:Thanks for showing that! I've been wondering what it looked like inside there. Got any pics of the baffles, or do they not come out?
they dont come out, like you would think... aac said the suppressor is "sealed" i have the suppressor out now for a new end cap, while its out and both of the end caps are off the guy is going to look at pushing the baffles out, if they do come out iam going to clean them and later on down the line iam going to possible rebaffle the suppressor, maybe a mono core maybe just k baffles hard to say, the new end cap is going to have spanner pin holes in it that way i can take the front cap off and clean the baffles better.

the locking unit is so simple in design it makes me slam my head, your welcome for the pix
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Hey very cool and well done! Were you the one that had the ring there with the little tab bent?

Don't forget to get a pic of the can.. :D
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Chondro wrote:Hey very cool and well done! Were you the one that had the ring there with the little tab bent?

Don't forget to get a pic of the can.. :D

yup thats me and as you can see i fixed the tab, i took a 1/16 drill bit and drilled a hole in the face of the key body then stuck of all things a cut down reloading decapping pin in the hole, that fit well so i put some jb weld down in the hole and shoved the decapping pin back in, then made a square key that fit the umps key way drilled a 1/16 hole threw that put jb weld all over the pin that stuck up and at its base stuck the square over the pin and jb welded it all together... looks and works like a charm, you can notice the jb weld if you look close.

I well get you a pic of the can as soon as it gets back, with its cool new end cap
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

That came out very nice.. :D That JB weld looks like really nice stuff..Good save there on the can!
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

Chondro wrote:That came out very nice.. :D That JB weld looks like really nice stuff..Good save there on the can!

thanks, the key way isnt needed if you tighten the cap like i describe the suppressor has a less chance of rotating they key is just icing on the cake and a sure thing, but i did shoot with out a key, i put 50 rounds threw the suppressor before i made the make shift key, and their was no movement but i will say, that freaking can gets smoking hot real fast.

I have not used it since the new key was made, but their is no way it can brake off thats why the pin goes threw the square part and down into round section to brace the key its self if you try and jam it on, when you mount it pull the can against the barrel and spin it around the flange till it falls into place, their is no need to beat and pound like the previous owners did ( just my guess any way )
usp_tactical_45
Silent But Deadly

any other questions or comments