Gun Control founding father comment..

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Tram
Senior Silent Operator

Gun Control founding father comment..

Post by Tram »

Someone here has a quote from a FF (I want to say Ben Framklin) talking about disarming the citizens only makes them disarmed agasint evil doers, or something along those lines.. I'm looking for this quote..

About to get into a gun control debate and would like to use this quote to get the ball rolling.. LOL
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gun Control founding father comment..

Post by doubloon »

http://www.catb.org/~esr/guns/quotes.html

If I were to select a jack-booted group of fascists who are perhaps as large a danger to American society as I could pick today, I would pick BATF [the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms].
-- U.S. Representative John Dingell, 1980
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

Probably not helpful, but here are some great ones.

1- "The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference; they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
~ George Washington.

2- "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed."
~ Alexander Hamilton .

3- "Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property."
~ Thomas Paine.

4- "Americans need not fear the federal government because they enjoy the advantage of being armed, which you possess over the people of almost every other nation."
~ James Madison.

5- "Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
~ Thomas Jefferson.

6- "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun."
~ Patrick Henry.

7- "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes"
~ Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria.

8- "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
~ George Mason.

9- "The said Constitution be never construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
~ Samuel Adams.

10- “As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.”
~ Justice William O Douglas

11- “The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of the people ...”
~ Justice William O Douglas

12- “This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing Government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember or overthrow it.”
~ Abraham Lincoln - March 4 1861
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
pierre1631
Elite Member

Post by pierre1631 »

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one. --Thomas Jefferson
Silent Industries
FFL/SOT
Madison, AL
256-783-5309
"Not the biggest- Just the best!"
Proud AAC SWR Silencerco Stocking Dealer
In einer Welt der Kompromisse Einige Männer Dont.
jmselders
Silent But Deadly

Post by jmselders »

Outstanding WhisperFan,
I really get pissed with the self righteous assholes who try to argue "well I think what they were really saying". I never went to college but it's plain as day to me what the FF were saying and it's pretty clear what so many brave men died to protect.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

jmselders wrote:I really get pissed with the self righteous assholes who try to argue "well I think what they were really saying".
Or the knuckleheads that say "Times have changed."

Or worse, the people that somehow believe the 2nd Amendment is about hunting game animals.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Blaubart wrote:
jmselders wrote:I really get pissed with the self righteous assholes who try to argue "well I think what they were really saying".
Or the knuckleheads that say "Times have changed."

Or worse, the people that somehow believe the 2nd Amendment is about hunting game animals.
Well ... the document is really old and that makes it hard to understand what they really meant. It's not a binding document anyway. :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

The Constitution is a living, breathing document that should be changed anytime our "Democracy" see fit.- Democrats collectively :cry:
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Today judges and political A holes refer to case law to support their position despite the fact it is flawed because it was a some politically active judge that made the decision. The fact is they should be looking at the writings of the founding fathers to see what and how they really should be ruling. It always amazes me when I hear people try to debate the meaning of the 2nd when it is right their in the founders writings.
rebok87
Silent Operator

Post by rebok87 »

Awesome quotes Whisperfan. I had to pass #10 on and add a fitting pic, check it out here. http://www.facebook.com/innovative.arms.tech
Innovative Arms Billet Core Suppression
http://innovativearms.com/
MCFLURY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MCFLURY »

Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

I am definitely a Fan of Whisper!!! Thank you for this collection of gems.

Have you not noticed that the loudest klaxons for supposed Gun Control
are usually the most duplicitous, dishonest, and corrupt? An example
was Ted Kennedy who killed a women, ran away, paid off the constabulary
and went on to assault women with Christopher Dodd.

Then there is the Oliver and Hardy of Gun Confiscation, Chuck Schumer and Diane Feinstein
whose political careers are a testimony to political corruption more dangerous than that of their patron Saint,
Bernie Madoff. :)

Particularly funny was years ago when Feinstein pushed for Confiscation by holding a fully automatic
assault rifle while wearing Myer Lansky's hand-me-down pinstriped suit. She looked
like a stuffed sausage that I used to see in the windows of NY delis. When my wild laughing had subsided,
blessedly defusing my vexation, I had the delicious image of their being time tunneled
back to 1777 where they were tarred, feathered, spattered with canine offal, and chased around New Amsterdam. :) :)

Joking aside, perpetual vigilance or 'Road to Serfdom'.

A President Palin would flush the Congressional Stygian Stables. [ Jeffersonian
expression of thought belies more satisfying but uncouth South Boston Gaelic vituperations on the issue. ]
SWATH
Silent But Deadly

Post by SWATH »

I think what your looking for is from Jefferson:

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” (Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria)
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."
-- Peter Venetoklis

...Just sayin'.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Twinsen wrote:"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater."
-- Peter Venetoklis

...Just sayin'.

And along this thinking one might well shiver, not just from today's zero wind chill. in
contemplating how marxist progressive feminists contemplate obviating hetrosexual intercourse. :shock:
kubmiester

Post by kubmiester »

"Or the knuckleheads that say "Times have changed."

Change our Constitution? An agenda will come with that.

The Declaration of Independence:
“Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes. . .”

Some say there is no need for arms as a “check and balance” with our government in these “modern times,” while just a few years ago were complaining about how our Constitution was being whittled away.
If only the militia can be armed, will the government pick the loyalists or the patriots?

Was it our Founding Fathers intent to let someone like King George pick who can be a militia?