Just bought a 22/45 threaded barrel model. Just thought I'd

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Just bought a 22/45 threaded barrel model. Just thought

Post by wragarand »

robpiat wrote:Is the iron sight version drilled for a scope mount? I'd like the flexibility to do either.
Yes, only difference from the railed version is that it is not drilled under the barrel.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

robpiat wrote:Is the iron sight version drilled for a scope mount? I'd like the flexibility to do either.
yes, it comes with the regular Ruger Weaver style rail.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

srt-4_uk wrote:
Are you saying that the version with sights comes with a rail too? Because mine sure didn't. I just bought a Tac-Sol rail and a Burris Fastfire II today. I wish I could have saved the money I spent on the rail. The stock sights are not great on this pistol, IMO.
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

srt-4_uk wrote:
The sighted version does not come with a rail. Non threaded 22/45's come with the rail. I'm assuming since Ruger also sells the threaded model w/o sights but with rails they opted to leave the rail out of the sighted version.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

hrm.... I remember reading that the fixed sight version came with the weaver rail like all the other MKIIIs. Must have been mistaken.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

Here's my rig. Loving this setup. Can't wait for the Sparrow to clear, though. The Fastfire II is pretty cool for an inexpensive RDS. If you call $200 inexpensive. Beats 2x the price for a C-More or Docter.

Last edited by Gavin S. on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Gavin S. wrote:Here's my rig. Loving this setup. Can't wait for the Sparrow to clear, though. The Fastfire II is pretty cool for an inexpensive RDS. If you call $200 inexpensive. Beats 2x the price for a C-More or Docter.
Does it have an on/off switch? :D

Diggin the setup you've got going there.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

Wahnsinn wrote:
Gavin S. wrote:Here's my rig. Loving this setup. Can't wait for the Sparrow to clear, though. The Fastfire II is pretty cool for an inexpensive RDS. If you call $200 inexpensive. Beats 2x the price for a C-More or Docter.
Does it have an on/off switch? :D

Diggin the setup you've got going there.
Thanks man. If you're referring to the Fastfire, yes it does have an on/off switch. It also has a cover that you can slip on that covers the ambient light detector and pretty much shuts down the LED. I read that in that state the battery would last for around 4 years.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

The version with iron sights is drilled and tapped for mounting a rail on top, but doesn't come with one.

The railed version has the dovetail cut in the back (under the rail) for an iron rear sight, but IS NOT drilled and tapped up front for a front sight...

Awesome host none-the-less. glad ruger came out with this. It'll prevent a lot of the unfortunate buying of P-22s and Mosquitos.
Kick Ass Design
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

JasonAAC wrote:Awesome host none-the-less. glad ruger came out with this. It'll prevent a lot of the unfortunate buying of P-22s and Mosquitos.
Lol. Roger that.

Yeah; looks like I might need to get me another Ruger host. Then of course, I'll need another suppressor. This doesn't ever end does it? Come to think of it, that's what the wife asked a few years back...
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

brianb wrote:
JasonAAC wrote:Awesome host none-the-less. glad ruger came out with this. It'll prevent a lot of the unfortunate buying of P-22s and Mosquitos.
Lol. Roger that.

Yeah; looks like I might need to get me another Ruger host. Then of course, I'll need another suppressor. This doesn't ever end does it? Come to think of it, that's what the wife asked a few years back...
That's me. As soon as my gun trust was in effect I wanted a suppressor as quickly as possible and so I had to buy local to avoid form 3 wait and ended up with the good ole P22-YMH Mite combo. Now I have the Ruger and a SS Sparrow is on the way through the ATF. Live and learn.
m0par

Post by m0par »

aklikessuppressors wrote:I sure wish that ruger would make the front 1/2 of their barrels the same diameter as the back 1/2 so the whole thing would be about 1" and match up perfectly to many of the 1" suppressors that are out now. Has anyone seen a fix for this "aesthetic" issue other than replacing the whole thing with a paclite?
I've seen one example where Liberty made a sleeve to slide over the narrower portion. You can see it briefly in one of the videos linked to on Liberty's site (about 4:47 http://www.youtube.com/v/fczLkCJtmr0?fs=1&hl=en_US).
aklikessuppressors wrote:What about cutting and threading the barrel of a regular bull barrel just past the thick part so a 1" suppressor would line up? Is .4" of a barrel (really just the threads) enough to even bother with?
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about keeping ammo subsonic.
aklikessuppressors

Post by aklikessuppressors »

m0par,

Thanks so much for your respone. Something like that was exactly what I was looking for. I've contacted Liberty to see if they can build me something just like the one in their video.

Regarding a very short .4" barrel... does anyone know if the gun would be accuate at all or would it be a complete waste of time?
AWC ODYSSEY II • AAC ECO-9 • DTA NANO
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

aklikessuppressors wrote:m0par,

Thanks so much for your respone. Something like that was exactly what I was looking for. I've contacted Liberty to see if they can build me something just like the one in their video.

Regarding a very short .4" barrel... does anyone know if the gun would be accuate at all or would it be a complete waste of time?
I would think .4 would not be close to enough to stabilize the round... i think it's a 1:16 twist, so even at a 4" barrel, the bullet's only getting a quarter turn spin...

I will say a 2" barrel is still surprisingly accurate and effective.
Kick Ass Design
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

So, for you guys who already have these guns, how well are the fixed sights regulated?
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

JasonAAC wrote:glad ruger came out with this. It'll prevent a lot of the unfortunate buying of P-22s and Mosquitos.
thats funny!!! i have/had both. sig was junk, my p22 has a cracked frame. first pistol i ever bought, so its near and dear. walther would replace it, but i dunno.

ya, ruger is feeling like a whole nother co.! hi cap 10/22 mags (picked one up at funshow this weekend), supppressor ready guns, sr556, 1911, its like they want to make money or sometihng!
its quiet time!
Fargo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fargo »

Gavin,
I have the same setup. What rail did you purchase?
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down to my belly...
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Love mine. Needs a couple of mods, but its a good shooter out of the box.

Pictured here with an old SWR Omega .22. Usually run it with my Warlock II or my SS Sparrow.

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Gavin S. wrote:post that. $360 plus tax from my local dealer. I got the model with fixed sights rather than rails. I am pleased with it thus far. I think it's a nice upgrade from my P22. So far I have put 2 mags of CCI subsonics through it with no problems and the sights were dead on. I am pleased. If you can get past hating Ruger for all the reasons you should, it's a nice gun for a suppressor.

I agree its a great gun to run a can on. I dont think its better than a P22 (the ruger doesnt have a mag eject, you release the button and manually pull out the mag.)

Call me before you kill yourself after trying to take the damned thing apart, I'll console you. I've been there. I got so mad at mine I beat the s--t out of it with a hammer. . .
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Ruger has mag eject once you remove the mag safety, s--t flies outta there like it's on fire, at least on mine it does now.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Wahnsinn wrote:Ruger has mag eject once you remove the mag safety, s--t flies outta there like it's on fire, at least on mine it does now.
same on mine:
misfit762
Silent But Deadly

Post by misfit762 »

I got the railed 22/45 with a Browning red dot for $350. I bought it for trapping, but never went. Need a can for it now.
LIVE FREE OR DIE!
Irishpride
Silent Operator

Post by Irishpride »

[img][IMG]http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/8498/b60a.jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

Never posted a pic before so not sure if this will work. If it doesn't can someone better direct me how? Thanks........
B&H Gun Sales
Merritt Island, FL
FFL, SOT Class 3 Dealer and LE MIlitary Distributer
[email protected]
(Facebook) B&H Gun Sales
rjacobs
Senior Silent Operator

Post by rjacobs »

If you are going to put a Burris Fastfire on one of these Burris makes a dovetail mount for the sights to get the sight lower. I tried one out on the rail and it was way to high for my taste.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

rjacobs wrote:If you are going to put a Burris Fastfire on one of these Burris makes a dovetail mount for the sights to get the sight lower. I tried one out on the rail and it was way to high for my taste.
I shoot mine with the irons depending on the mood and dont wanna lose that functionality. But if I didnt switch it up all the time then your right it is a better option.