Just bought a 22/45 threaded barrel model. Just thought I'd

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Just bought a 22/45 threaded barrel model. Just thought I'd

Post by Gavin S. »

post that. $360 plus tax from my local dealer. I got the model with fixed sights rather than rails. I am pleased with it thus far. I think it's a nice upgrade from my P22. So far I have put 2 mags of CCI subsonics through it with no problems and the sights were dead on. I am pleased. If you can get past hating Ruger for all the reasons you should, it's a nice gun for a suppressor.
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Just bought a 22/45 threaded barrel model. Just thought

Post by wragarand »

Gavin S. wrote:post that. $360 plus tax from my local dealer. I got the model with fixed sights rather than rails. I am pleased with it thus far. I think it's a nice upgrade from my P22. So far I have put 2 mags of CCI subsonics through it with no problems and the sights were dead on. I am pleased. If you can get past hating Ruger for all the reasons you should, it's a nice gun for a suppressor.
I bought one last week for $310 out the door with fixed sights (I got a great deal :D ) , it's a great pistol!
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Time to get over the Ruger hating....They are a different company now, and going out of their way to do right. The same goes for S & W.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

wragarand wrote:
Gavin S. wrote:post that. $360 plus tax from my local dealer. I got the model with fixed sights rather than rails. I am pleased with it thus far. I think it's a nice upgrade from my P22. So far I have put 2 mags of CCI subsonics through it with no problems and the sights were dead on. I am pleased. If you can get past hating Ruger for all the reasons you should, it's a nice gun for a suppressor.
I bought one last week for $310 out the door with fixed sights (I got a great deal :D ) , it's a great pistol!
Nice price. I knew I was getting jacked but I love that instant gratification. :D
DMViergever

Post by DMViergever »

That is awesome. I've been trying to decide on a pistol for suppressed use and was starting to lean towards the Walther but I think, after seeing this, I'm going to hold out for the Ruger. We have a 22/45 with the bull barrel and they will eat anything. Wish I could get a little instant gratification but sounds like that won't be happening haha.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

Yeah its a pretty economical way to go. Saves you a couple hundred from buying a donor gun and putting a PacLite upper on it. A little heavier but a lot cheaper.
DMViergever

Post by DMViergever »

Only thing I dislike about the 22/45 models are that they are a paing in the butt to reload. I wish the mag release was a push button instead of a button you have to pull down to drop the mags. I like the way the P22 and Mosquitos operate but the ruger's accuracy and the fact that it eats all types of ammo make it a hands down choice IMO.
GreyHammer
Silent Operator

Post by GreyHammer »

Ed's Guns had the Mark III w/threaded barrel, one with sights, and the other with rails, both for 329 each at the Dixie Claissics gunshow in Charlotte this weekend. Can't decide which one to buy as I would like to know how much of the sight picture a 1" dia suppressor would cover.

wragarand, can you give us some feedback on that? Thx :mrgreen:
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

DMViergever wrote:Only thing I dislike about the 22/45 models are that they are a paing in the butt to reload. I wish the mag release was a push button instead of a button you have to pull down to drop the mags.
Remove the mag safety and it drops free.

Stock fixed sights are visible over a 1" suppressor
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

Yep. It's a bitch to operate the slide release, too. But on the good side you can use 1911 grips. Here's my VZ Aliens, slightly Dremeled to allow for the slide release button. Notice the Alumagrips in the background. Couldn't bring myself to hack those. Love the feel of the 22/45 with the VZs.

DMViergever

Post by DMViergever »

Very nice. Does Ed's Guns have a website? I can't even find these on buds gunshop or any of the other gun buying sites I normally peruse. The slide release does suck. How do you remove a mag safety? Is it a bitch or fairly easy?
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

DMViergever wrote:Very nice. Does Ed's Guns have a website? I can't even find these on buds gunshop or any of the other gun buying sites I normally peruse. The slide release does suck. How do you remove a mag safety? Is it a bitch or fairly easy?
It is easy once you figure out how to dis-assemble it. Here is a good website on dis-assembly. There are 3 way to get rid of the mag safety. You can either use a Clark bushing, VQ MK2 bushing, or use a washer. I have a Clark bushing on one of mine and a washer on the other.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

+1 Great site on the Rugers all together! http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm

As for the mag safety,just like the above post you have a couple options. I did the washer version. Uses 2 two 5mm washers (you have to bore out the middle a tiny bit with a dremel or file). Very simple, very cheap. Once you do this mod, your mags will literally fly out of the gun when you hit the mag release, it's awesome.

As for the slide release, depending on how you use the slide release there is a "slingshot" mod for it (also on the link posted above). The only time you should need to actually use the slide lock/release is when you have no mag in the gun and want to lock the slide back (guess you could use it if you need to lock it back if you have a malfunction). Once you do the slingshot mod, there's no need to hold it down to drop the slide with a full mag in the gun (gravity drops it down for you) or with no mag in the gun. It also still operates as normal when the mag is empty (locks the slide back).

The hardest problem you'll have with the gun is taking out the internals to do any of the work on it. If you're going to switch out any internals for VQ parts (accurizing kit), I'd do the mag safety at the same time, along with the slingshot mod. That way you're only in there one time and get it all out of the way.

Oh also, if you have any issues with the loaded chamber indicator, you have two options. You can remove it all together, but from talking with one of the guys that did this it will negate some of your suppression level (leaves a hole in your gun in the chamber, sound comes out). Option two is to remove it (temporarily) and grind/cut off all the internal pieces so it's just a bar, then put it back in to fill the hole.

Once you tear it apart a couple times it's pretty easy to remember and quick to do.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

so these are out and shipping then? i figured it woulfnt be for awhile yet!!!!

those grips look hot!!!!
its quiet time!
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

DMViergever wrote:Only thing I dislike about the 22/45 models are that they are a paing in the butt to reload. I wish the mag release was a push button instead of a button you have to pull down to drop the mags. I like the way the P22 and Mosquitos operate but the ruger's accuracy and the fact that it eats all types of ammo make it a hands down choice IMO.
FYI too, the MkIII 22/45s (all MkIII guns) have a push button mag release (MkII does not), but with the mag safety the mags don't drop free, you have to manually pull the mag out of the gun. With the mag safety mod though they do come out. Either way, still a push button mag release.
aklikessuppressors

Post by aklikessuppressors »

Does anyone know if the OD of the "Threaded Barrel" is the same as Rugers other bull barrel pistols? What is that measurement?

I sure wish that ruger would make the front 1/2 of their barrels the same diameter as the back 1/2 so the whole thing would be about 1" and match up perfectly to many of the 1" suppressors that are out now. Has anyone seen a fix for this "aesthetic" issue other than replacing the whole thing with a paclite?

What about cutting and threading the barrel of a regular bull barrel just past the thick part so a 1" suppressor would line up? Is .4" of a barrel (really just the threads) enough to even bother with?
AWC ODYSSEY II • AAC ECO-9 • DTA NANO
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

GreyHammer wrote:Ed's Guns had the Mark III w/threaded barrel, one with sights, and the other with rails, both for 329 each at the Dixie Claissics gunshow in Charlotte this weekend. Can't decide which one to buy as I would like to know how much of the sight picture a 1" dia suppressor would cover.

wragarand, can you give us some feedback on that? Thx :mrgreen:
The SilencerCo Stainless is a larger diameter than my SWR Warlock, I have no problems at all with either silencer coming into my sight picture.

srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Wahnsinn wrote: Oh also, if you have any issues with the loaded chamber indicator, you have two options. You can remove it all together, but from talking with one of the guys that did this it will negate some of your suppression level (leaves a hole in your gun in the chamber, sound comes out). Option two is to remove it (temporarily) and grind/cut off all the internal pieces so it's just a bar, then put it back in to fill the hole.
Just take the LCI apart and remove the metal piece that contact the rim of the bullet. That way you can put the plastic filler piece back in. No grinding/cutting required.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Oh cool, didn't know it was separate parts...my pivot pin is still being a punk and not wanting to come out.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

What i did was just hit the whole upper with a rubber mallet and the pin fell out. Just make sure you have your thumb over the LCI or it will go flying. Also, keep the spring in there and only remove the metal tab.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

GreyHammer
Silent Operator

Post by GreyHammer »

That's a good looking rig, wragarand! That's just the setup I'm looking for. Can't see over the tube with my P22 and that's frustrating. One thing I like about your rig is that the top is pre-drilled for a scope mount, so you can add the ruger rail at any time.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

Is the iron sight version drilled for a scope mount? I'd like the flexibility to do either.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

Nice Sparrow. I'm waiting for the ATF to clear my form 4 on a SS Sparrow, myself. For now I'm using my loud ass YHM Mite. Buy once cry once. :x