So what made you want a suppressor in the first place?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

So what made you want a suppressor in the first place?

Post by gixxerbill »

For me it had to be Bond movies. I have been a Bond nut since I was like 13(now 46). So I would have to give the spy movie franchise the credit for I why I wanted a suppressor. Being able to shoot a gun that is normally loud pretty dang quiet.

The second reason was not having to use hearing protection.

What was ya'lls reason?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: So what made you want a suppressor in the first place?

Post by ick »

Great idea for a thread.

Decided to buy a PS90 with the long barrel.

Whilst investigating the SBR process I discovered the very similar suppressor process.

How could I possibly consider the PS90 SBR weapon system complete without also owning a suppressor?

vuola
-----
Ick
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I thought they were illegal. While looking at a video involving an Outback II, someone mentioned ownership. So I checked, and it was legal and relatively easy. I got lucky in that I found out they were legal before buying a gun - I say 'lucky' because this has caused me to buy certain types of guns while avoiding others. Not that there is anything wrong with a PMR-30 (for example), but not as a suppressor host.

GLOCK 17 and a Beretta CX4 9mm Rifle - both are excellent hosts, and those are the first two that I bought.
flyrodder

Post by flyrodder »

To paraphrase Sir Edmund Hillary, because I can. I think it is important to exercise our rights while we still have them.

From a more practical side, a can on a long-range precision rifle has numerous advantages: Easier communication between shooter and spotter, no need to wear hearing protection, spreads out and reduces recoil pulse allowing you to stay on target more easily, eliminates flying dirt and debris from the muzzle blast, usually some increase in muzzle velocity, often an inmprovement in accuracy, more mass to dampen recoil, you can more easily hear the bullet impact. There is something about the recoil followed by around 2 seconds of flight time followed by the sight of the impact followed a couple of seconds later by the sound of the impact.

For my P22, a suppressor makes it much less finicky about ammo and a real hoot to shoot.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

One might say it was sort of a 1960's Government requirements evaluation. :)
2Munkeez
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 2Munkeez »

i have a really boring reason. i just now started wanting one and i'm already post-youth (not old). so, my motivation was simply not wanting my neighbors to know everytime i'm shooting in my backyard.

so.... i guess the first Deputy to ever roll slow by my gate, staring in my direction was what made me want one 8)
one-eyed Jack
Silent Operator

Post by one-eyed Jack »

I brought in my first suppressor just because I could. Back in 1990 the Mass laws changed to allow 07s to have them. I brought one of the very first, if not the first. Jack.
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

2Munkeez wrote:so, my motivation was simply not wanting my neighbors to know everytime i'm shooting in my backyard.
i didn't want to admit this is one of my reasons too. :mrgreen: except the shooters depot lion can on my beretta is pretty loud unless I shoot it wet. :cry:
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I got my cans to have the ability to hunt hogs / rabbits and not scare them to the point where they are spooked and leave.

It is amazing to be with this little device I can take 7 hogs where I would normally take 2 if they were not permanently spooked.

I just setup a corn feeder about 70 yards away with a ton of corn already on the ground. Once the packs of them start to munch on the corn I begin to take them down. It is unbelievable that they still keep eating with a dead friend laying next to them.

If a deer rolls in during open season I just pop in a super sonic bullet for increased power.

The only downside is bringing along a bunch of ice-chests and cleaning all of those animals afterwards . Guts city.

I don't know how many of you guys do night hunting but the Laser Genetics lasers are amazing. The amount of stuff that moves at night would surprise you. Also if a buddy comes with you they can benefit from the laser as long as they are looking whatever you are pointing at.
LP
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

ghostdog662 wrote:I got my cans to have the ability to hunt hogs / rabbits and not scare them to the point where they are spooked and leave.

It is amazing to be with this little device I can take 7 hogs where I would normally take 2 if they were not permanently spooked.

I just setup a corn feeder about 70 yards away with a ton of corn already on the ground. Once the packs of them start to munch on the corn I begin to take them down. It is unbelievable that they still keep eating with a dead friend laying next to them.

If a deer rolls in during open season I just pop in a super sonic bullet for increased power.

The only downside is bringing along a bunch of ice-chests and cleaning all of those animals afterwards . Guts city.

I don't know how many of you guys do night hunting but the Laser Genetics lasers are amazing. The amount of stuff that moves at night would surprise you. Also if a buddy comes with you they can benefit from the laser as long as they are looking whatever you are pointing at.
are you using sub sonics in an AR I guess to hunt hawgs? Don't they jam? :?:
Cooper
Silent Operator

Post by Cooper »

I got one because I want to teach my son how to shoot without hurting his ears. He does not like to wear any type of hearing protection.
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

gixxerbill wrote:
ghostdog662 wrote:I got my cans to have the ability to hunt hogs / rabbits and not scare them to the point where they are spooked and leave.

Using a Savage Edge (bolt-action, now called Axis by Savage) with threaded barrel. For some reason these guns are SUPER loud for being a .223 with high velocity ammo (22" barrel). Not quite SBR AR15 loud but quite a kaboom. They shoot great though with a rifle basix trigger.
LP
RamblinMan
Silent But Deadly

Post by RamblinMan »

Back in college, I used to shoot at a local indoor range. One day, a guy with a suppressed Glock in 9mm was shooting a few bays over from me. I had to go question him. He let me shoot it, and I was hooked from Shot 1. Nobody else was shooting at the moment, so I didn't have my hearing protection on. The guy told me about the CLEO signoff, and I just assumed you had to have the right friends to get that.

I could never get that day out of my head.

Five years (or so) later, I met my county sheriff at the local redneck range back home. He helped us set up some steel targets we were putting up that day. Super nice guy. A month or so later it dawned on me that maybe I should ask him if he would sign. He said something to the effect of "Heck yeah... you just bring 'em to the office tomorrow morning, and we'll get em signed."

That's when I got my HEMS II.

He always meets me face to face to sign my paperwork now.

(grammar edit)
Last edited by RamblinMan on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i752.photobucket.com/albums/xx167/RamblinManPB/General/TS.jpg[/img]
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

ghostdog662 wrote:
gixxerbill wrote:

Using a Savage Edge (bolt-action, now called Axis by Savage) with threaded barrel. For some reason these guns are SUPER loud for being a .223 with high velocity ammo (22" barrel). Not quite SBR AR15 loud but quite a kaboom. They shoot great though with a rifle basix trigger.
oh so your usuing a bolt action to shoot them. Is there any .556 ammo that will cycle in an ar to shoot hawgs with?
gixxerbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by gixxerbill »

RamblinMan wrote:Back in college, I used to shoot at a local indoor range. One day, a guy with a suppressed Glock in 9mm was shooting a few bays over from me. I had to go question him. He let me shoot it, and I was hooked from Shot 1. Nobody else was shooting at the moment, so I didn't have my hearing protection on. The guy told me about the CLEO signoff, and I just assumed you had to had the right friends to get that.

I could never get that day out of my head.

Five years (or so) later, I met my county sheriff at the local redneck range back home. He helped us set up some steel targets we were putting up that day. Super nice guy. A month or so later it dawned on me that maybe I should ask him if he would sign. He said something to the effect of "Heck yeah... you just bring 'em to the office tomorrow morning, and we'll get em signed."

That's when I got my HEMS II.

He always meets me face to face to sign my paperwork now.
cool sheriff.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

Cause they're cool.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

I figured if I was gonna kill something why not do it quietly!

Side note: One of the things that has amazed me about shooting suppressed is hearing the ricochets.
It is sometimes scary where they go :shock:
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

So I could have my hearing to locate prey at night when varmint hunting.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I always wanted one for quiet recreational plinking but like many people originally thought they were completely illegal due to "common knowledge". As soon as I found out mere mortals could actually own them I started a collection.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

What???

Nobody's Going To Say------Because Chick's Dig Them ???

:lol:

For Me, It Was/Is Just MORE Technology...Why Stop With Just The Gun?

I Buy/Build Suppressors BECAUSE I CAN (he-he-he)---And I Am Always Bemused/Amused By How Many Supposedly Knowledgeable Gun Guys Think YOU CAN'T!!!

8)

WYOGUY
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

So I didn't have to wear earmuffs.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
Fastflt1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fastflt1 »

I just wanted the tax stamps. :wink: ................... I'm a stamp collector.
Stay calm, stay strong, and have a backup plan.
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

Top 10 reasons I got a suppressor
10.) Because I will never afford a MG
9.) Because my wife thinks that they are evil! LOL
8.) Because I need cool points
7.) CA Sucks Just wanted to say that!
6.) bullet impact rocks
5.)Ive already done enough damage to my ears from car stereos and firearms
4.) because shooting hours confuse me
3.) because I can't stand starlings or crows!
2.)I lived in NY for about 10yrs . As soon as I moved back to KY I got one Nuff said!
1.) because they are legal to hunt with in Kentucky!
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

Because the more evil my rifles look the cooler I am 8)

(I need all the cool points I can get)
misfit762
Silent But Deadly

Post by misfit762 »

I want to be able to hear when I'm old.
Predator Hunting
Because the Anti-gun folks don't want me to have one
Cause they are cool!
LIVE FREE OR DIE!