Front exit hole strike?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Re: Front exit hole strike?

Post by robpiat »

Ron of Va wrote:How does the customer protect himself from buying the old style can from the upgraded version? His dealer might have several of an older version in stock he would want to sell first.

Isn’t this a problem when you change a silencer, but the name remains the same? Isn't it the customer who gets screwed?
This is one of the inherent issues in the suppressor market.

- Never buy anything when it first comes out
- Generally if you buy from a large volume dealer you will get the latest generation
101ABN327

Post by 101ABN327 »

The saga of the 18T suppressors and mounts... I have an M4-1K and have the same problem. About every 3-4 shots I have to retighten the can. It's very distracting, to say the least, not to mention the worry of damaging the can or the rifle. I wonder if the military is having problems with their 18T systems they contracted through AAC. Does anyone know? If they aren't, why are we???

"We sleep well at night because rough men stand ready to do great violence in our name." George Orwell
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Most of us aren't. AAC sold thousands and thousands of 18T suppressors. You don't see hundreds of threads full of people having problems. A few people have issues with 18T but most don't. I have an 18T can with many rounds through it and it never backs off. It's unfortunate that some people have problems but I also think it's silly when those couple people act like the 18T was total rubbish or that there's some sort of AAC conspiracy going on. The 18T was better than just about everything else on the market when it first came out.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

ATCDoktor wrote: I've sent it back to AAC and they say it's good to go, so in it's present condition, I only use it on bolt guns for recreational shooting .

I'll still use it on a semi auto for hunting but if I have to fire more than a couple of rounds I have to force myself to remember to tighten it back up.
That's a shame, good cans are not cheap so to use one for recreational use only hurts.
krecon1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by krecon1 »

Conqueror wrote:Most of us aren't. AAC sold thousands and thousands of 18T suppressors. You don't see hundreds of threads full of people having problems. A few people have issues with 18T but most don't. I have an 18T can with many rounds through it and it never backs off. It's unfortunate that some people have problems but I also think it's silly when those couple people act like the 18T was total rubbish or that there's some sort of AAC conspiracy going on. The 18T was better than just about everything else on the market when it first came out.
I bought two of them - and both back off all the mounts I've tried and turn a .75 MOA rifle into a 3-4 MOA rifle at best. I figure I have about $2k into these between the cost of the cans, mounts, and fees. I'm at a lost as what to do now so they will probably end up on some .22LR or some 5.56 blaster. I've thought about drilling/tapping the mount and adding some setscrews, not sure what else I can do to keep it from loosening up.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

krecon1 wrote:
Conqueror wrote:Most of us aren't. AAC sold thousands and thousands of 18T suppressors. You don't see hundreds of threads full of people having problems. A few people have issues with 18T but most don't. I have an 18T can with many rounds through it and it never backs off. It's unfortunate that some people have problems but I also think it's silly when those couple people act like the 18T was total rubbish or that there's some sort of AAC conspiracy going on. The 18T was better than just about everything else on the market when it first came out.
I bought two of them - and both back off all the mounts I've tried and turn a .75 MOA rifle into a 3-4 MOA rifle at best. I figure I have about $2k into these between the cost of the cans, mounts, and fees. I'm at a lost as what to do now so they will probably end up on some .22LR or some 5.56 blaster. I've thought about drilling/tapping the mount and adding some setscrews, not sure what else I can do to keep it from loosening up.

As a last resort I wonder if AAC can cut off the fast attach and wield a Cyclone threaded end on it for you? THAT would fix it for sure. Granted is not waht you wanted or paid for. The thread on works for me. Even if it does loosen up 1/4 a turn is going to have less wobble than 1/4 a turn on the SD since the pitch is less aggressive. With Teflon tape it will NOT come loose anyway.

My Cyclone-K has KIS technology (keep it simple)

Seems the SD mount works for a the majority of the people but some people it does not work for. So the design must have some "vulnerabilities." What are they, and why the SD mounting system works on most but not on others is the mystery.

Is it the spring tension and temper?.. Nope.. as many have replaced just the spring to no avail. So just what IS it?

Just like a older S&W N frame... a very few have a harmonic vulnerability and when things are just right the combination of variables can cause the locking to skip and the frame to rotate around the cylinder.

IMHO the SD mount is doing something similar. The barrel whip, weight of the rifle, and tolerances in the mount and silencer are just "right" to allow the catch to bounce off the valley and to jump to the next tooth. Fire repeat.

It is possible that swapping the mount and spring (not just the spring) may change the variables enough so that the silencer will not do it any more. If not than try adding weight to your stock might help to "fix" it.

I would attack the variables. Easiest first... and see if by changing them you can stop the mount from backing off. Even the "play" between the mount and the silencer may be contributing to the problem.. I would even try changing the mount from "flash hider" to Muzzle brake if available in the 18T as it might help to change the harmonics even more..

I.D. what is different between yours that is failing and those that are working.. Then trying to change the variables ... That's is how I would approach it if AAC won't replace them.. I am sure they will try to help if you work with them. I do not know if AAC changed the design of the SD somewhere during it's life that makes the silencer different from yours. Obviously the SD works for many. Just how do they make it work for you.....

Good luck. I hope you can find a fix.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Bandit wrote:Huh ? Anybody with half a mind could do the work if the tube has no damage to start with. If not they're in the wrong business. After all, if you can make it can't you also fix it ? Another excuse not to work on previous cans so you can make another (hopefully) sale. Oh wait it's just not cost affective, yeah that's it.
You cannot re-mount a 762/M4-1000 based on the design as is without serious work.

The mount fits into the sleeve meaning that if you cut off the sleeve and mount you can either weld the mount to the core or weld the sleeve to the mount. You cannot have both without making a new two-piece sleeve OR cutting off the weld on the sleeve to the core in the front and the mount in the rear.

Then they would have to cut-off the mount, weld a new mount, re-weld the sleeve back on not to mention the sleeve would now be shorter given the amount they had to cut off to get rid of the weld.

At this point the ATF may or may not have a problem . . .
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

[quote="JohnInNH"]

I would attack the variables. Easiest first... and see if by changing them you can stop the mount from backing off. Even the "play" between the mount and the silencer may be contributing to the problem.. I would even try changing the mount from "flash hider" to Muzzle brake if available in the 18T as it might help to change the harmonics even more..

In the vids there was a lot of PING. That sound is only durived from vibration. This is with the f h mount. Changing the design might fix the prob.!