Check still not cashed

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

4God&Country

Check still not cashed

Post by 4God&Country »

My dealer says he sent my paperwork over two weeks ago but they still haven't cashed my check. My dealer said he called them to see what's up but they said to give it another week. I'm getting a little peeved because I thought that they would/should have cashed it by now and got things moving. Anyone else ever have this long of a wat to have your check clear?
Topsportsman916

Re: Check still not cashed

Post by Topsportsman916 »

Dealer sent in my paperwork on a Gemtech Alpine on Feb. 7 & the check cleared on Feb.16
4God&Country

Post by 4God&Country »

That doesn't make me feel any better.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Many people have reported the NFA Branch has been slower at cashing checks in the last few months.
SouthTXEMT

Post by SouthTXEMT »

I've sent two form 4s and they have cashed my checks within 4 business days after I've sent my forms. Both were in February.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Are you sure your dealer sent it off when he said he did? I don't know why people have their dealer mail their stuff off.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

Not to rain on your parade but I sent papers off and after a year went by the ATF said no paper work on file.
That was 2008. Resubmitted the papers in 2009 and all went well.
Got a letter in the mail this week to call to reconcile a paperwork problem and low and behold they found
my check.
They are mailing me a refund.
fsteinba

Post by fsteinba »

13 days from mailing to check being cashed last time.
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

Are you sure he sent it to Atlanta and not the old office in Chicago? I did this by mistake once cause the dealer still had old forms and I followed the directions. Calling the atf was useless. They said wait and try back in a week or two. Finally a month later my envelope was returned. Why it takes a month to be returned Idk but it was frustrating.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Few months ago it went all electronic..No more cancelled checks back to the bank..Used to print that out and staple it to my paperwork.. :roll:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
wragarand
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wragarand »

700PSS wrote:Many people have reported the NFA Branch has been slower at cashing checks in the last few months.
Mine was cashed 3 business days after I sent it.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

4God&Country wrote:My dealer says he sent my paperwork over two weeks ago but they still haven't cashed my check. My dealer said he called them to see what's up but they said to give it another week. I'm getting a little peeved because I thought that they would/should have cashed it by now and got things moving. Anyone else ever have this long of a wat to have your check clear?
And then there is the 'Middle Earth' USPS. Last year I sent in a Postal money order, paid for return receipt and tracking
number and in the Missouri destination the dealer had not received the check after a week. Calming him down
I transmitted the tracking number by which he found that they had delivered it to another address miles away.
A town of 2,400 folks and they screwed the pooch. No tracking number would have resulted in my lost cash, an
angry dealer, and a very rare mint 1944 Randall knife mourning its not being in my possession.

Bottom line: Pay for a tracking number and signed return receipt on all important correspondence, especially to any
governmental body.
koz

Post by koz »

I had one cashed very quickly (Nov 10) and one took almost 22 days in Jan 11.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

There have been a few instances where people have gotten there form 4's approved and the checks weren't cashed..The only thing that really tells you anything is when it goes pending..Antwon will tell you its not going to be in the system for 60 days or so..No one else even comments..All mine have gone pending within 30 days..Then just purgatory really..But you know its in the system..Thats all the matters..If it doesn't go pending within 60 days I'd send the forms in again with another 200 and figure out the refund later..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
igpoobah
Senior Silent Operator

Post by igpoobah »

How do you know when it goes "pending"?
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Good question. Last Form 4 I did was in 1998. Things have changed a bit since then. Would like to know how to tell if when one "goes pending."

Just sent one in ... check cashed in two days.
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

My most recent F4 was sent in the week before Christmas and the check was not cashed until around Valentines day.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

zulusierra wrote:My most recent F4 was sent in the week before Christmas and the check was not cashed until around Valentines day.
Whereas I sent mine in early in January 2011 and it was cashed in 3 business days. Cashier's check, by the way.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

Just forget about it until you get it back. A week, three weeks, who cares? Call in a month and make sure it's been received, and reforget.
Heroes never die.
4God&Country

Post by 4God&Country »

Paperwork sent Feb. 16, 2011, check still not showing up as cashed. Paperwork sent by dealer through USPS in regular mail, even though I expressed concern over its reliability and sent him all my filled out forms certified. Question, since my bank charges 25 dollars for cancelled checks, should my dealer pay it or should I just chalk it up as a bad learning experience and take the responsibility . It doesn't look like he's going too.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Form 4 packet with Trust document arrived in Atlanta 3/2/11 by return receipt request express mail. Check cashed on 3/4/11.
koz

Post by koz »

eastern_hunter wrote:Good question. Last Form 4 I did was in 1998. Things have changed a bit since then. Would like to know how to tell if when one "goes pending."

Just sent one in ... check cashed in two days.
Call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500 and ask to get a status of a transfer. You'll need your SN ready - they can also tell you who your examiner is.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

4God&Country wrote:Paperwork sent Feb. 16, 2011, check still not showing up as cashed. Paperwork sent by dealer through USPS in regular mail, even though I expressed concern over its reliability and sent him all my filled out forms certified. Question, since my bank charges 25 dollars for cancelled checks, should my dealer pay it or should I just chalk it up as a bad learning experience and take the responsibility . It doesn't look like he's going too.
My check was cashed within two weeks. If they don`t have the check, They don`t have anything. Call and ask.
Elessar
Silent Operator

Post by Elessar »

My check sent back in Nov took about 3 weeks to post to my bank. It was electronically submitted.
libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

Post by libertyman777 »

Tag.
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................