Why is the approval process sooo prolonged?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Why is the approval process sooo prolonged?

Post by starlingstalker »

I got to see my prepaid stainless Sparrow for the 1st time Friday and my dealer filled out my form 4s and attorney sponsored trust declaration good to go. And is she beeuutiful! WoW! Silencerco IS the top shelf!!!
On the mailing checklist there were specific instructions to send my documents off to Atlanta to the ATF post office box. Is my check processed/cashed there for payment in Atlanta and THEN sent to the examiner(s) in WV for efficiency at its bureaucratic best? What is the biggest delay in timely processing and where is streamlining the process of approval lacking? How long to the check cashing? To check on my forms-45 days or 60 or 90? Does the turnaround time improve if You have prior items listed on Your trust declaration possibly prior or not? At any rate, I'm going to bundle a SBR and SDN can on my next forms for a 2fer at least. Could someone elaborate on the transfer approval process from start to finish? Thank You, starlingstalker
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Why is the approval process sooo prolonged?

Post by doubloon »

It's based on a process that was developed and put in place in 1934.

The check gets cashed basically the same day it's received.

The form goes into a big pile with hundreds of other forms on someone's desk who has to review the application manually.

It takes anywhere from one day to several months to receive an approved form with a stamp. The one day times are probably only dealers and manufacturers.

How often you check on it is a matter of varied opinion.

Checking on it does not hasten the process so why check at all but if you are going to check I would start calling now and call once a week until the stamp arrives.

There are probably 50+ websites and only 300+ threads on the topic of the transfer process which can be found with google that give more detail.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nationa ... turnaround
Q: How long does it take for ATF to process my NFA application?

The processing time for NFA applications varies depending on the type of application submitted. Certain applications require the processing of making or transfer taxes while others are tax-exempt. Some applications require the prospective transferee to pass Federal background checks based on both name and fingerprints while transferees such as law enforcement agencies or foreign military agencies are exempt from background checks. ATF also must ensure that a proposed transfer would not violate State or local law in the transferee’s place of residence. The time needed to research and verify State and local requirements can vary greatly depending on the legal complexity of laws governing the type of firearm sought or the business structure and status of applicants other than individuals.

In addition, the sheer volume of applications submitted for ATF review has dramatically increased in recent years. In fiscal year 2005, for example, ATF processed 41,579 NFA applications of all types. By FY 2009 that number had more than doubled to 86,753, without an increase in the number of NFA examiners available to process the work. Through the first half of FY 2010, ATF was on pace to break 2009’s record number of applications and was operating with roughly the same size staff that it had in 2005.

Currently, ATF’s customer service goal is to process an Application to Make and Register a Firearm (Form 1) and an Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of a Firearm (Form 4) within 4 months of ATF’s receipt of the application. The customer service standard for processing all other types of NFA applications (i.e., those which don’t generally require tax processing or background checks) is within one month of ATF’s receipt of the application. It is important to keep in mind that incomplete or incorrect applications slow ATF’s ability to take final action. If you wish to confirm receipt of an application by ATF or obtain a status check on a pending application, you should call the NFA Branch at 304-616-4500. It will help the NFA Branch locate your application more quickly if you have the serial number of the firearm sought for transfer and the name of the prospective transferee.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bullyforyou
Senior Silent Operator

Post by bullyforyou »

the process takes so long because it is intended to DISCOURAGE NFA ownership - that's why it was put in place.

you seem to be under the mistaken impression that the ATF exists to help you own neat new weapons.
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

bullyforyou wrote:the process takes so long because it is intended to DISCOURAGE NFA ownership - that's why it was put in place.

you seem to be under the mistaken impression that the ATF exists to help you own neat new weapons.

so you're NFA doesn't stand for Nice Fuckin Armament?
Don't be an internet tough guy...
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

Because Silencers, Sawed-Off Shotguns and Machine Guns Are EVIL!

If You Want To Partake In Evil...You Have To Pay The Price!!!

:twisted:

Seriously...Can You Imagine Talking To Your Average 'Citizen'...And Saying...The Federal Government Needs To Give BATFE A Bigger Budget So It Can Hire More Employees And Streamline And Computerize The Whole Application Process...So I Can Get A New Silencer or Sawed-Off Automatic Whiz-Bang FASTER !?

:roll:

There Has Been Bills In Congress To 'Reform' BATFE For Many Moons...
Newton's Third Law of Physics Essentially States That For Every Action There Is An Equal And Opposite Reaction...
Regarding the NFA and Class III...There is Virtually No 'Reform' That Does Bring With It A Big Negative!
The BATFE Needs To Move Into The 21st Century? ---Great! Update Tax Stamps from $200 To $1,000! Make The Fee an ANNUAL Fee!
The Whole NFA Process is an Obsolete Anachronism...A Virtual 'Tar Baby' That Continues to Limp Along Year After Because There Is No Consensus As To HOW It Should Be Changed!

Just One Man's Freaking Opinion!

:lol:

WYOGUY
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
amatac
Silent But Deadly

Post by amatac »

I recently spoke to my examiner about the screwed up bureaucratic process at the NFA. When you send your Form 4 to Atlanta, it goes to the “bank” where all they do is remove the check and put them in a big pile for shipment to Martinsburg. When the pile gets big enough, the forms are shipped. My examiner told me that this process could take as long as 3-4 weeks. So, your forms could be setting in Atlanta for up to 1 month. Depending on how self driven the examiner is, it could take another 3-4 months once they receive it. There are 12 examiners at the NFA and over 30,000 Form 4(s) processed annually. I have some information that I received from a FOIA that I filed and I will post it soon. Most Senior Examiners work from home. I am not sure of any requirements that says they must work “X” amount of hours in the office. I know how self motivated that I would be working from home without a real requirement on how many forms that I needed to process.

Ted Clutter is the boss man over the examiners and per conversations and email correspondence with him, he told me that the NFA was “re-vamping” their process and after the New Year form 4s should be no longer than 4 months. I do not know if this means 4 months from receipt in Atlanta or 4 months from receipt in Martinsburg. Dealer to dealer form 3 transfers can take upwards of 6 weeks! That is terrible considering that Form 3s are faxed.

Government job = I only work hard enough so I do not get fired. Considering the NFA branch is really the only entity of the federal government that is profitable (well, maybe the IRS), they aren’t too concerned with customer satisfaction.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man...
FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
fireguyty

Post by fireguyty »

amatac wrote:I recently spoke to my examiner about the screwed up bureaucratic process at the NFA. When you send your Form 4 to Atlanta, it goes to the “bank” where all they do is remove the check and put them in a big pile for shipment to Martinsburg. When the pile gets big enough, the forms are shipped. My examiner told me that this process could take as long as 3-4 weeks. So, your forms could be setting in Atlanta for up to 1 month. Depending on how self driven the examiner is, it could take another 3-4 months once they receive it. There are 12 examiners at the NFA and over 30,000 Form 4(s) processed annually. I have some information that I received from a FOIA that I filed and I will post it soon. Most Senior Examiners work from home. I am not sure of any requirements that says they must work “X” amount of hours in the office. I know how self motivated that I would be working from home without a real requirement on how many forms that I needed to process.

Ted Clutter is the boss man over the examiners and per conversations and email correspondence with him, he told me that the NFA was “re-vamping” their process and after the New Year form 4s should be no longer than 4 months. I do not know if this means 4 months from receipt in Atlanta or 4 months from receipt in Martinsburg. Dealer to dealer form 3 transfers can take upwards of 6 weeks! That is terrible considering that Form 3s are faxed.

Government job = I only work hard enough so I do not get fired. Considering the NFA branch is really the only entity of the federal government that is profitable (well, maybe the IRS), they aren’t too concerned with customer satisfaction.

Very interesting stuff you got there. I am curious, does after the New Year mean in 2012?
amatac
Silent But Deadly

Post by amatac »

fireguyty wrote:
Very interesting stuff you got there. I am curious, does after the New Year mean in 2012?
I talked to Ted Clutter about the slooooooooow transfer process at the end of last year when they lost a few form 3s of mine. I am attaching the FOIA that I sent out. I hope someone finds it useful other than me.

FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
amatac
Silent But Deadly

Post by amatac »

FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
TronZy
Silent Operator

Post by TronZy »

12 examiners... :(
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

TronZy wrote:12 examiners... :(
I noticed more of the $9,713,974.43. could build a couple schools on that...
amatac
Silent But Deadly

Post by amatac »

Do you notice how they say that the NFA does not generate a profit because they are a governmental entity? I am sure the $700k covers the overhead. What is 9,000,000 divided by 12??? I am in the wrong profession!
FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

pretty sure he means that the money is not kept in house, that it goes to the government, it doesn't just stay at the NFA branch

I could be wrong though
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Awesome work man. Thanks for taking the time and requesting the FOI as well as posting the response.

Profit is the wrong term in governmental accounting. They also do NOT have "expenses" either, they are generally called "expenditures". I suspect that the way you asked the question gave him an "out" to not disclose this information. He probably knew what you were asking.... but since you didn't ask the right question he ignored it.

It is like the financials of, say, your local church. When the treasurer gives a report to the church at the end of the year and revenues exceeded expenditures the positive cash flow should not be called "profit".

The next time you send in for this in a few years ask him by what amount his tax revenues and other collections exceeded his departments expenditures. Actually if you send it in again throw me a PM... I will get one of my governmental accounting guys to give me the best way to ask the question.
-----
Ick
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

ick wrote:Awesome work man. Thanks for taking the time and requesting the FOI as well as posting the response.
+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

Funds generated by most governement agencies go into the general fund. They do not come back to that agency. The agency is funded through budget requests based on work load and then divied out by Congress.

The USPS is the only exception that I can think of to that. Might be others but not many. It usually literally takes an act of congress to ask for payment directly and then keep them within that agency.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
amatac
Silent But Deadly

Post by amatac »

US Ranger wrote:Funds generated by most governement agencies go into the general fund. They do not come back to that agency. The agency is funded through budget requests based on work load and then divied out by Congress.

The USPS is the only exception that I can think of to that. Might be others but not many. It usually literally takes an act of congress to ask for payment directly and then keep them within that agency.
The USPS looses money every year, so I would imagine thatnin a round about way we support the failing USPS with our tax transfer dollars. Who really knows? All I know is that the USPS sucks ass. Every time I have to go and pick up a package I have devote at least 1/2 an hour to stand in line.
FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

I love the response to "profits" not being applicable because they are a government entity :lol: Same line of thinking by our government that there is no such thing as a balanced budget either. amatac, thanks for sharing. Those are some interesting statistics.