Which suppressor for a .22 WMR?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

thunderhole
Silent But Deadly

Which suppressor for a .22 WMR?

Post by thunderhole »

So, from what I've read so far, a regular 22 can like Pilot or Outback won't do well with a 22 Mag rifle because of the aluminum blast baffle. Am I right?

Would a screw on 5.56 suppressor like the Ranger work? Any other suggestions?
"A long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."-Charles Manson
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

A 22 Magnum will break the sound barrier and will be very loud like a suppressed 223. Many people in the past have compared 22 mag to suppressed 223. I am sure a 223 can will give adequate suppression of the "muzzle boom" but will still be loud from the bullet breaking the sound barrier.
07FFL 02 SOT
thunderhole
Silent But Deadly

Post by thunderhole »

I realize there will still be a sonic "crack". I'm just looking to attenuate the muzzle blast.
"A long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."-Charles Manson
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1928A1 »

I dont know what the long term effects would be of using a SS 22LR can with the 22 Mag. I would think it would be OK, but before I bought the silencer I would get the manufacturer to ok the use of same.
07FFL 02 SOT
brianb
Silent But Deadly

Post by brianb »

Well, clearly it's gonna depend on the construction and durability of the (22lr) CAN - whether or not it can weather a repeated blast from the 22wmr. With the trend towards smaller, lighter suppressors, I'm betting the "average" 22 CAN would work... for awhile, but maybe just for a little while.

I'd look for one that's built as an ALL steel. Talk to a manufacturer and see if they would recommend it (most won't, but you may find a few that recommend a particular product or line that would).

I have an all steel 22lr can that the maker tells me should withstand a .223! He says if it fails, he'll replace it. 'haven't had the guts (or desire really) to try that out as yet, but I'm pretty sure it'll handle 22wmr.

I also own a Soundtech Millennium can. It's all steel and appears to use, among other things, a corkscrew type of baffle system. This is one tough (and efficient) suppressor. I wouldn't hesitate to put 22wmr through it. In fact, I sent an old spare 22wmr barrel out to a 'smith to thread, but over the course of time (and his aging forgetfullness), the barrel 'got lost'. If it hadn't, I'd be able to tell you how it worked... oh well.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Would a Prodigy work with this on a 24" barrel? It has a SS blast baffle?
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

I'm going for the SWR Spectre because it does .22, .22LR, .22MAG, .22WMR .223, and .17 (HMR and HM2)

(if I'm not mistaken)

Covers all the bases in that general group.

Stainless and serviceable.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
gunnut284

Post by gunnut284 »

MicroGuy wrote:I'm going for the SWR Spectre because it does .22, .22LR, .22MAG, .22WMR .223, and .17 (HMR and HM2)

(if I'm not mistaken)

Covers all the bases in that general group.

Stainless and serviceable.
NOT rated for .223. It will take a couple shots but Henry specifically said it is not rated or recommended for .223 use. Still a very versitile can
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

Tactical Solutions Cascade Ti is .22 wmr rated. I like it on my 77/22 magnum. To me the sonic crack isn't all that bad and I found it pleasant to shoot. If Bookhound was around he could tell you having heard the setup as well. The only thing I don't like is the unburnt powder residue is a real pain from a .22wmr. It does a good job of getting into the threads so if you are going to swap cans at the range make sure you have a brush to clean out the powder.