Pac-Light Upper, being damaged by the Main Spring Pin

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Pac-Light Upper, being damaged by the Main Spring Pin

Post by Queso Grande »

Hey,

Has anyone heard of this happening, the hole in the top behind the rear sight is becoming oblong. I am guessing the the recoil is causing it to become oblong. Its causing it (Ruger MKIII) to the have FTF issues.
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Pac-Light Upper, being damaged by the Main Spring Pin

Post by Bendersquint »

Queso Grande wrote:Hey,

Has anyone heard of this happening, the hole in the top behind the rear sight is becoming oblong. I am guessing the the recoil is causing it to become oblong. Its causing it (Ruger MKIII) to the have FTF issues.
This is news to me, haven't heard of that happening. Buddy has one with a few thousand through it I will ask him tonite about his.

-B
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Same here no issue until the bolt would not go into battery very well, i took it apart and the ALLU. was rolling under on the inside of the top hole.

I know I am not the only one. Questions is whats is the cause. I would add pictures, but am not up on how to do that.
Cooper
Silent Operator

Post by Cooper »

If you know someone who works at a machine shop, they could possibly drill the hole bigger to make it round again and make you a bushing to take up the slack in the assembly. maybe some stainless or 4140 would stop the wear and tear.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Cooper wrote:If you know someone who works at a machine shop, they could possibly drill the hole bigger to make it round again and make you a bushing to take up the slack in the assembly. maybe some stainless or 4140 would stop the wear and tear.
My bad forgot to ask my buddy about this tonite.

Thats alot of work that would go into getting that bushing cut, and fitted. If this is bothering you guys why not deal with TACSOL about it? They made it maybe you will be lucky and it will be considered a factory problem and get it fixd for free!

-B
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Bendersquint wrote:
Cooper wrote:If you know someone who works at a machine shop, they could possibly drill the hole bigger to make it round again and make you a bushing to take up the slack in the assembly. maybe some stainless or 4140 would stop the wear and tear.
My bad forgot to ask my buddy about this tonite.

Thats alot of work that would go into getting that bushing cut, and fitted. If this is bothering you guys why not deal with TACSOL about it? They made it maybe you will be lucky and it will be considered a factory problem and get it fixd for free!

-B
I have contacted them, I just want to know if any others have had his issue. Also to let others know what to be looking for if an issue comes up.
Cooper
Silent Operator

Post by Cooper »

http://ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedB ... odels.html
I just picked up one of these last week at my local dealer and it was only $320. That's half as much as the regular gun with the pac lite upper. If you were looking to replace your upper, you might want to look into these.
LawBob
Silent But Deadly

Post by LawBob »

Yeah but that's heavy steel.
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

LawBob wrote:Yeah but that's heavy steel.
But alot more durable.....
Cooper
Silent Operator

Post by Cooper »

durable is the key to heavily used guns lasting. the pac-lite is a good piece, but it doesn't have as much "beef" as the factory overkill steel. i'll trade a little weight for the durability.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I have many thousands through my paclite and the hole is fine. Sounds more like your recoil spring is worn out or something (allowing the bolt to smack into that pin when it flies back).
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Conqueror wrote:I have many thousands through my paclite and the hole is fine. Sounds more like your recoil spring is worn out or something (allowing the bolt to smack into that pin when it flies back).
what can do you use if any ?
robpiat
Silent But Deadly

Post by robpiat »

There was a topic here about a year ago about somebody doing something similar. I don't doubt the paclite will last 1000's of rounds, but it seems like there is a way to put it back together incorrectly that damages it. Most folks try to design it so there is only one, correct way to do it.
itsa226

Post by itsa226 »

Guess I`ll be keeping an eye on mine too. Probably have atleast 5k through it now and no issues as of yet (knock on wood).
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Queso Grande wrote:
Conqueror wrote:I have many thousands through my paclite and the hole is fine. Sounds more like your recoil spring is worn out or something (allowing the bolt to smack into that pin when it flies back).
what can do you use if any ?
Liberty Sparrowhawk (1st gen of the "Y-factor" cores).
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]