Silent Destroyer ??

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

can2suppress

Silent Destroyer ??

Post by can2suppress »

I am trying to decide on a integral 44mag. I think I am going with a Silent Destroyer. Do they come all the way apart for cleaning? Does anyone have pics of the inside or disassembly? I like that he recomends lead bullets..

Thanks!
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Silent Destroyer ??

Post by tReznr »

Yes, the suppressor comes apart for cleaning. I got a chance to speak with John Denall at a gun show (the guy who builds the silent destroyer) and he told me he designed his system from the ground up to shoot cheap cast lead bullets.
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

Yes it comes completely apart. The inner tube is permanently attached so it is a one stamp gun, the baffles are all removable, the outer registered tube basically functions as the main blast chamber. A nice way to get a one stamp take-apart integral. (The barrel is 9" long)

I need to take mine apart as I have lube in there that rattles around. I'll see if I get around to taking it all apart and snapping some photos.

He designed his from the start to use lead bullets. A very nice feature, even store bought cast bullets are significantly cheaper than jacketed. If you cast your own you can get REALLY cheap bullets.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
coctailer

Post by coctailer »

Some really crappy pics of one of my SDs apart.

Run with Scissors!!!!
www.OrtweinIntl.com
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

Interesting, wondered how that worked. ^ ^ ^

Have ya accuracy tested it? :wink:
can2suppress

Post by can2suppress »

What are the tubes made of ?? It looks like aluminum. Baffles?
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

Its aluminum and the wait is very long, especially now that Ruger started making 77/44s again. I live close to Tom and I still couldnt get my 77/44 done in a timely manner so I just had him thread my 77/44 so I can now mount my Osprey 45. Just as quiet :D . He let me test his display Silent Destroyer and it has an interesting "ping" to it when fired. Tom thinks its gas. Very quiet nevertheless. It may not be quite as quiet as the SRT unit, but at least you can take it apart to clean. Tom cuts the barrel down to 9", while SRT ports their full length.
can2suppress

Post by can2suppress »

Baffels are made of what?? Blast baffel, Stainless?
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

can, I'm pretty sure aluminum, except the blast baffle is probably steel.
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

can, I'm pretty sure aluminum, except the blast baffle is probably steel.
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

I sold my 96/44 Lever Action Silent Destroyer.... and now on the eventual hunt for a 77/44 to replace it. I never should have sold it. (but it did help fund another M11/9) 8)
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
can2suppress

Post by can2suppress »

What kind of accuracy do you get ??
coctailer

Post by coctailer »

can2suppress wrote:What kind of accuracy do you get ??
Minute of apple at 30 yds.

Most fun way to explode fruit ever. :lol:
Run with Scissors!!!!
www.OrtweinIntl.com
can2suppress

Post by can2suppress »

Are you serious?? I went to the Creek yesterday. I talked with a couple of people.. I.e. John Tibbets and S&H.. I have one of John's MkII's and well pleased. several of the dealers bragged on both. John said it was ok to shoot lead bullets in his. But Do not remove the tube. Just the baffle stack. He also said that the barrel was ported with EDM so burrs are not a problem. How many rounds do you guys fire without a suppressor cleaning. Is buildup in the tube a problem??
coctailer

Post by coctailer »

can2suppress wrote:Are you serious?? I went to the Creek yesterday. I talked with a couple of people.. I.e. John Tibbets and S&H.. I have one of John's MkII's and well pleased. several of the dealers bragged on both. John said it was ok to shoot lead bullets in his. But Do not remove the tube. Just the baffle stack. He also said that the barrel was ported with EDM so burrs are not a problem. How many rounds do you guys fire without a suppressor cleaning. Is buildup in the tube a problem??
I meant 30 feet. :oops:

They are accurate enough I guess. I never tried shooting for groups.

I only shoot JHPs through mine. Never bothered with lead. The rounds look cooler in the can that way anyway.

I'm not a re-loader, so I have to use my buddies Dillon that is set up for .44mag subs. (I can pull a handle)

I do think the Silent destroyer is a better rifle than the SRT offering though. I have shot them side-by side a few times.
Run with Scissors!!!!
www.OrtweinIntl.com
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

JC Weaponry wrote:I sold my 96/44 Lever Action Silent Destroyer.... and now on the eventual hunt for a 77/44 to replace it. I never should have sold it. (but it did help fund another M11/9) 8)
Oh? I'm looking to get a 96/44 integral done. Was looking at my options now that I'm sure I'm serious.
coyote223
Silent But Deadly

Post by coyote223 »

coctailer wrote:
I do think the Silent destroyer is a better rifle than the SRT offering though. I have shot them side-by side a few times.

Not arguing with ya buddy, just curious, why the SD is a better rifle? Isn't the only difference between them, basically that one comes apart, one doesn't? Or is there more?
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

can2suppress wrote:He also said that the barrel was ported with EDM so burrs are not a problem. How many rounds do you guys fire without a suppressor cleaning. Is buildup in the tube a problem??
They port the barrel?! WTF! I was hoping to shoot supersonics and subsonics. Not load with more powder just to lose velocity... ugh.

coctailer wrote:I do think the Silent destroyer is a better rifle than the SRT offering though. I have shot them side-by side a few times.
Men planning on laying down several paychecks wonder what those differences are. Please explain, sir.
can2suppress

Post by can2suppress »

Tibbets told me that he ports the barrel not to bleed of speed but to eliminate first round pop.. I want the most quiet and accuracy.. The best of both.
coctailer

Post by coctailer »

coyote223 wrote:
coctailer wrote:

Not arguing with ya buddy, just curious, why the SD is a better rifle? Isn't the only difference between them, basically that one comes apart, one doesn't? Or is there more?
The eccentric design lowers the can so you don't need tall scope rings, comes apart easily with custom tools that TD provides free with each conversion.
"Silent Destrroyer" is engraved on each receiver, so you have PROOF that you are a TRUE OPERATOR. :D

Sound wise they are almost exactly the same to the ear.

Run with Scissors!!!!
www.OrtweinIntl.com
coctailer

Post by coctailer »

tReznr wrote:Yes, the suppressor comes apart for cleaning. I got a chance to speak with John Denall at a gun show (the guy who builds the silent destroyer) and he told me he designed his system from the ground up to shoot cheap cast lead bullets.
I cant find the video of you shooting my SD. Do you have it by chance?
Run with Scissors!!!!
www.OrtweinIntl.com
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Is "Tibbets" related to Tom Denall somehow? I'm trying to figure out how to buy one of these.
tReznr
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tReznr »

coctailer wrote:
tReznr wrote:Yes, the suppressor comes apart for cleaning. I got a chance to speak with John Denall at a gun show (the guy who builds the silent destroyer) and he told me he designed his system from the ground up to shoot cheap cast lead bullets.
I cant find the video of you shooting my SD. Do you have it by chance?
"Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay soft as we are now. There won't be any America because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our women and breed a hardier race!"

-Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
can2suppress

Post by can2suppress »

Italked to Denall.. He said close to a year wait. He builds 3 at a time. Any suggestions??
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

It's as simple as writing a check.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =224790470

If you can't plan your NFA purchases a year before you need them then you must pay money to those who did plan on having them in advance.

The rifles are current production again now, so unless you need one of the Name Brand guys to do your gun just buy one and send it off to any NFA manuf. who can build you up what you want.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =224702074

I have a stainless John's Guns and it is one of my favorite shooting guns.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.