Thinking of getting a YH for my p22

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Thinking of getting a YH for my p22

Post by edteach »

New to this area of shooting. I have been looking at a Yankee Hill Suppressor for my p22 and can pick one up at about 285 plus Tax stamp. Seems like a nice suppressor. I have a question about buying one then moving a year or so later. I know it would not be legal to take to a state that does not allow them. But what about moving from one state to another that does allow them? What has to be done to do this say a move from Arkansas to Kansas or to Florida where they are legal?
DOGON
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Thinking of getting a YH for my p22

Post by Bowen1911 »

Let me just say, that if you read a few pages on this site, you will get the idea that the Mite sucks.

I would recommend something else. Almost anything else
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Spectre, Element, Sparrow, Kodiak. Look into those.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Mite sucks. 'Nuff said.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Spend a little extra cash for a Silencerco Sparrow or AAC Element- it will be money well spent.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

edteach wrote:New to this area of shooting. I have been looking at a Yankee Hill Suppressor for my p22 and can pick one up at about 285 plus Tax stamp. Seems like a nice suppressor. I have a question about buying one then moving a year or so later. I know it would not be legal to take to a state that does not allow them. But what about moving from one state to another that does allow them? What has to be done to do this say a move from Arkansas to Kansas or to Florida where they are legal?
Please dont buy the mite just because your dealer has it in stock like others have said it really sucks. Loud if not the loudest .22 can and can be very difficult to take apart.

As far as moving not a problem as long as they are lawful in the state. You just fill out a 5330.20 and send it to the atf, do it as soon as you know your moving the ATF can be slow. You will need it back before you move. If it is registered to a trust you will also need to amend the address on the trust.
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

YH Mite and Walther P22 go hand in hand. Turdulicious :lol:
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

yamatitan wrote:
edteach wrote:New to this area of shooting. I have been looking at a Yankee Hill Suppressor for my p22 and can pick one up at about 285 plus Tax stamp. Seems like a nice suppressor. I have a question about buying one then moving a year or so later. I know it would not be legal to take to a state that does not allow them. But what about moving from one state to another that does allow them? What has to be done to do this say a move from Arkansas to Kansas or to Florida where they are legal?
Please dont buy the mite just because your dealer has it in stock like others have said it really sucks. Loud if not the loudest .22 can and can be very difficult to take apart.

As far as moving not a problem as long as they are lawful in the state. You just fill out a 5330.20 and send it to the atf, do it as soon as you know your moving the ATF can be slow. You will need it back before you move. If it is registered to a trust you will also need to amend the address on the trust.
I bought a Mite when the dealer had a gen 1 Sparrow in stock thinking I was saving $200. Not. I ended up buying a SS Sparrow a month later. I'm kind of glad I didn't buy the 1st gen because I love the SS, but both are streets ahead of the Mite in performance. The Mite is okay on a 10/22 and wet, but still not as quiet as the Sparrow.
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

gavin, that was a good move. I bought a Gen 1 Sparrow and it was definitely an upgrade from my Outback, but today I just got back my s/s Sparrow upgraded and its freaking awesome. Only 5 ozs with my original aluminum tube and steel guts, while a whole inch shorter and 4db quieter 8) These days the s/s Sparrow is the only way to go.
Capbyrd

Post by Capbyrd »

Is the mite really THAT bad? I am waiting on my stamp for a used one that I bought from a friend for 100 bucks. Is it so bad that 100 bucks was too much?
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

Cap, $100 is a great price. I wouldnt go over $200 for a mite though. Is it steel or aluminum?
Capbyrd

Post by Capbyrd »

sputzie wrote:Cap, $100 is a great price. I wouldnt go over $200 for a mite though. Is it steel or aluminum?
Not sure. I'll find out this weekend though. i have visitation rights this weekend.
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

Cap, if its stainless steel you got a very good deal as it can be dipped to clean. If its aluminum then you did well as long as it isnt filled up with lead and gunk. If it is filled up then contact Yankee Hill and see what they charge to clean and convert it to takedown status. Then you can clean it yourself in the future. Sealed aluminum cans only get louder as they fill up. Thats what I did with my Gemtech Outback. Justed heated the end cap to kill off the locktite and now I can take the baffles out to clean.
Capbyrd

Post by Capbyrd »

are all the take apart cans stainless? If so, then this one is stainless.
ncsu90
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncsu90 »

Capbyrd wrote:are all the take apart cans stainless? If so, then this one is stainless.
All of the Mite's can be taken apart for service, so it could be either.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I bought the YH mite. I shot it in an indoor range and it sounded fine to me. Here is a video that presuaded me to pick it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reHQLdgt7rg
DOGON
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

edteach wrote:I bought the YH mite. I shot it in an indoor range and it sounded fine to me. Here is a video that presuaded me to pick it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reHQLdgt7rg

:roll:
Don't listen to the experienced advice you've been given then, and buy the mite. There's nothing wrong with YHM as a company but the MITE blows. But go ahead and buy it since you aren't listening to the advice you've been given. I can't wait till you take it home and shoot it in your backyard. :lol:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Whoops I misread your post..... :lol: you already bought it. Wow.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I appreciate your opinions. I shot the Mite at the gun range in a closed room with mufflers off ears. It sounded fine to me. Can you tell me why the Mite had a lower db than the ones tested on this video or are they all crap?
DOGON
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Looks like too little too late, but whenever you get your Mite in, take out a Silencerco Sparrow and AAC Element out with it... Then you will see first-hand why you have been getting the advice you've received thus far. Videos don't mean s--t with suppressors, only personal use; let your ears be the judge. That being said- hope you enjoy it!
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

The mite isnt terrible, just not as quiet as most major brands of 22 cans. I cant say I could make a quieter can than the Mite, well, I might :lol: Seriously though, its a good solid budget can, but not a good solid tax stamp choice as another $100 or 2 can get you a substantially quieter can. If Yankee Hill was a great company like Silencerco then maybe oneday they'll upgrade your Mite stack to a quieter one without the tax stamp fiasco. Hey, dont sweat it. Just have fun with it as thats what its all about. We all get hosed eventually. I did when I bought into the Gemtech school of logic from my dealer that sealed cans are the bee's knees with the Outback :roll:
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

edteach wrote:I appreciate your opinions. I shot the Mite at the gun range in a closed room with mufflers off ears. It sounded fine to me. Can you tell me why the Mite had a lower db than the ones tested on this video or are they all crap?
You do know that all the cans in that video have been upgraded now? Except for one guess what that one is the YHM mite. Yep so the mite is still metering at 125db but the prodigy and outback are both under 120dbs easy now in days. Thats why people are saying the other two are not crap.
Gavin S.
Silent Operator

Post by Gavin S. »

sputzie wrote: Yankee Hill was a great company like Silencerco then maybe oneday they'll upgrade your Mite stack to a quieter one without the tax stamp fiasco.
Now that would earn my loyalty. I would consider another YHM can if they did that. As it stands they are on my shitlist. C'mon YH, earn back some business and replace my core. :mrgreen:
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

edteach wrote:I appreciate your opinions. I shot the Mite at the gun range in a closed room with mufflers off ears. It sounded fine to me. Can you tell me why the Mite had a lower db than the ones tested on this video or are they all crap?
Which video?
Kick Ass Design
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

JasonAAC wrote:
Which video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reHQLdgt7rg