TiRant Scratch Fix

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

paytongar

TiRant Scratch Fix

Post by paytongar »

Has anyone had any success with filling a small scratch on their Tirant? I had to use some pliers to get my piston cap off and managed to knick the finish through the rag. It's not bad, but it bothers me now... :(
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: TiRant Scratch Fix

Post by silencertalk »

On black painted Ti, GunKote.

On anodized aluminum:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4941 ... INUM_BLACK
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

silencertalk wrote: On anodized aluminum:

Wow, I never thought that it was possible. My next order will include a bottle of alum black. :D
NRA Benefactor Member
SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

You might want to send the back cap in to us and let us check it out for you. It really shouldn't require pliers for removal.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

PAIN wrote:

Wow, I never thought that it was possible. My next order will include a bottle of alum black. :D
This stuff is crap, it only sort of works and won't last unless it's in a nook or cranny that won't be subject to contact and wear. I've had better results with a Sharpie, and those aren't that great.
malysh
Senior Silent Operator

Post by malysh »

rockman96 wrote:
PAIN wrote:

This stuff is crap, it only sort of works and won't last unless it's in a nook or cranny that won't be subject to contact and wear. I've had better results with a Sharpie, and those aren't that great.
Absolutely true. Please don't waste your money on it. I've tried it numerous times on aluminum alloy framed handguns. You can rub it off completely in 90 seconds with your finger. Even multiple applications with sufficient drying times between them. You can't even blend it properly like you can with cold bluing paste or pens.
And yes, I followed instructions, completely cleaned and prepped the area to be covered, etc.
Malysh
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't understand the negative reviews, here or at Brownells. It sounds like you guys are trying to use it over annodizing. Obviously (I think it is obvious but I guess not) you can't oxidize anodized aluminum. But if you have a nick on an AR that is bare aluminum, this will make it black. I do it all the time. Everyone needs a bottle of this.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I used that stuff on an AR15 SBR engraving. It worked OK and has held up perfectly fine. It took a few applications to get it dark and it's still more of a dark gray, however it did work fine.

I also used it on the "Sig Sauer" engraving on my P220 aluminum grips and it worked fine. You can still see a bit of the engraving, but it is no longer bright silver (which I disliked immensely)

SilentMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by SilentMike »

Alumablack certainly has it's place.

With that said, I'd still like to have a look at your piston housing assembly. It should not be so hard to remove.
Mike Smith
Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988
paytongar

Post by paytongar »

SilentMike wrote:Alumablack certainly has it's place.

With that said, I'd still like to have a look at your piston housing assembly. It should not be so hard to remove.
Mike,

I certainly wouldn't mind sending the silencer in for you to have a look. I'm not the strongest person, but even after using gloves it wasn't coming off with ease. I've only had about 250 rounds through it.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

For that scratch, I would use AlumaBlack.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I tried to use AlumaBlack on a suppressor tube once, and it did rub off with a fiinger after being finished. It was bare, unanodized aluminium too. What could I have been doing wrong?

Thanks,
Lava
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Clean it with Acetone first?
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

silencertalk wrote:Clean it with Acetone first?
I used mineral spirits as a degreaser. Could that have been a problem?
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

That should be ok.

It is not good for large areas, but works for me on small nicks. I also used it on my S&W 1911 on the white WARNING engraving,.
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

wow, for the scratch I can tell most AAC customers NEVER served in the military :lol: Its a tool, use it :!: Dont display it :roll: I suppose though if you paid the inital $1200 for it then, why not ask? :P
paytongar

Post by paytongar »

sputzie wrote:wow, for the scratch I can tell most AAC customers NEVER served in the military :lol: Its a tool, use it :!: Dont display it :roll: I suppose though if you paid the inital $1200 for it then, why not ask? :P
Your car is also a tool, but I'll bet you'd care if someone keyed the s--t out of it.

And take it easy on the emoticons... :wink:
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

pay, you topped me by one :wink: . I honestly dont care if anyone keyed my car as indeed its just a tool :wink: Naturally I'd be pissed if the tires were punctured as then I cant do any thing with that tool. A novelty cosmetic scratch doesnt render a silencer inoperable :lol:
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

sputzie wrote:wow, for the scratch I can tell most AAC customers NEVER served in the military :lol: Its a tool, use it :!: Dont display it :roll: I suppose though if you paid the inital $1200 for it then, why not ask? :P
We get it, you don't like AAC. relax.
Kick Ass Design
sputzie
Silent Operator

Post by sputzie »

Jason, I think aac makes good stuff :) but their tactic of sales turn many off. If I dont feel good about a product due the behavior of the company when using it I feel slimy :? I think AAC has potential, but its their attitude that puts off many of us :( Believe me, as much as you guys THINK your cool, your not. Just make good products and have great customer service. Thats all. Dont know how to? Observe Silencerco. It didnt take them long. Good old fashion customer service and quality product. Pretty simple :D Image and glossy marketing is short lived :cry:
paytongar

Post by paytongar »

sputzie wrote: ...Believe me, as much as you guys THINK your cool, your not...

As much as you think you're smart, you're not. Now please stop hijacking my thread and go troll somewhere else. Thank you.

Any other useful ideas that are relevant to the topic would be appreciated.
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

sputzie wrote:Jason, I think aac makes good stuff :) but their tactic of sales turn many off. If I dont feel good about a product due the behavior of the company when using it I feel slimy :? I think AAC has potential, but its their attitude that puts off many of us :( Believe me, as much as you guys THINK your cool, your not. Just make good products and have great customer service. Thats all. Dont know how to? Observe Silencerco. It didnt take them long. Good old fashion customer service and quality product. Pretty simple :D Image and glossy marketing is short lived :cry:

you've been all over this forum today just shitting on everyone. Also, chill with the gay smileys. They just scream that you're like 70 trying to act young or that you're a 13 year old chinese girl.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
The Punisher

Post by The Punisher »

sputzie wrote: Believe me, as much as you guys THINK your cool, your not.
How about me? Am I cool? :roll:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

I'm not one to care about scratches either. MP5/40 proves it...looks like someone took a rake to it

But, good info to know; how to fill it in w/o it looking like a sore thumb

Reminds me of when you buy the wrong "marker" for furniture & it seems to make it look worse :oops:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If I had that nick, I would hit it with AlumaBlack, then forget about it.