Anti-seize?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Anti-seize?

Post by eastern_hunter »

I notice folks talking abt using anti-seize on threads and some parts of suppressors. Even noticed a warning abt using copper bearing anti-seize materials due to the possible creation of a galvanic cell which damages the metal of the suppressor.

Don't have a suppressor in hand yet ... paperwork is in process. I do keep two kinds of anti-seize on hand for other kinds of work. One is the copper bearing material, and the other is similar except that it is nickel based.

What kind of anti-seize do you guys recommend ... and for what uses?

Thank you.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Anti-seize?

Post by Historian »

I have used Permatex anti seize for over 41 years on all Mercedes parts and especially
spark plugs on the aluminum heads. Never have let techs ever touch them -- "Is it 18 foot pounds
or 18 kilo-meters torque on the spark plugs??". :)

As I reported on other threads ( inadvertent but gratefully
discovered pun! :) ) the threads have experienced no corrosion,
even with 'suppressor' temperatures at high speed.

I will leap to the gratuitous conclusion that the suspended
copper aids in electrical current transferral but the gloppy
Chuck Schumer slimy grease keeps moisture at bay.

From their ads listing usages: "Spark plug threads installed in aluminum,
exhaust manifold bolts, engine bolts, oxygen sensors, knock sensors,
thermostat housing bolts, fuel filter fittings, and battery cable connections"

Also some astute suppressor users coat the SS barrel threads to aluminum or steel cans. Internal use on baffles, it
has been reported, makes removal easier and seems to attenuate some sound.

Hope this tediously long answer helps.

Best.
Poodleshooter

Post by Poodleshooter »

I'm using regular Permatex (copper,aluminum and graphite flakes) for my Spectre threads and the outside of the baffles. It's the same stuff I use on any threaded fixtures for my vehicles. It seems to work pretty well. Then again, there isn't much galvanic difference between my barrels and my stainless Spectre, nor am I immersing it in a heavy electrolyte.
DarkStar
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkStar »

I use non-coppor anti-seize on my Element threads.
It does make disassembly easier.
I've also noticed that if I use just a bit too much, it ends up being distributed across the baffles during firing. While not intentional, I have found that this makes cleanup EXTREMELY simple. Without the anti-seize, I use the dip... if I shoot less than 300 round, and have applied anti-seize a bit too liberally, then all I have to do is wipe off the baffles. I've noticed no smoke or benefits otherwise.