Silencer Shoot 2011

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Silencer Shoot 2011

Post by silencertalk »

Yes, nice to meet you also.

The volunteers did an incredible amount of work under very difficult conditions and deserve a lot of credit.

Anyone who has been in Iraq combat and the 2011 shoot - I would be interested in hearing how the heat/humidity compared. I know it is hotter in Iraq, but less humidity - and I am not sure how that trades off.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

82nd airborne wrote:
silencertalk wrote:
copenhagen wrote:That's good.
Yes, which is why comments like this are unfortunate and just plain untrue:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b ... 336&page=2
$20 tickets + $10 parking and AAC/Remington still try to make money off of you for wanting to shoot their product at their event....
Over $50,000 was donated to childhood cancer research - by everyone who participated and showed up, which would have been completely impossible if people were not charged admission.

Im surprised that people expect it to be free! If it was all pocket money it would be different, but Im down for helping little kids with cancer, I cant imagine how tough that would be have one of your children diagnosed.
It was good to meet you Robert.
Well in the past it was pretty close to free. So I think some folks may have been surprised to see all the unmentioned fees.

I guess I got lucky, I shot over $100 worth of ammo for free. More than covered my parking/entry fee.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

silencertalk wrote: Anyone who has been in Iraq combat and the 2011 shoot - I would be interested in hearing how the heat/humidity compared. I know it is hotter in Iraq, but less humidity - and I am not sure how that trades off.
I drove in from Texas Sat and it was actually cooler and less humid at T1. I found it refreshing, but I was surprised how it was at that location. I expected it to be much cooler, maybe low-mid-90s.
Darin Reiss
Silent Operator

Post by Darin Reiss »

Im surprised that people expect it to be free! If it was all pocket money it would be different, but Im down for helping little kids with cancer, I cant imagine how tough that would be have one of your children diagnosed.
It was good to meet you Robert.[/quote]

My six year girl went around the neighborhood with my wife's help to raise money for the Children's Luekemia Foundation and when they explained to one lady a few blocks from our house what they were raising money for, the lady burst out crying and said her little girl had just been diagnosed with Leukemia. I can't imagine the pain. She was very appreciative of what my little girl and wife were doing.

I wanted to go to the Silencer Shoot but I was already committed to speak at the KS State Rifle Association's annual meeting in KC with Dave Gilmore and Todd King about Class 3 firearms and KS laws. We had a 2 hour plus speech and Q&A time. I believe we had several new converts to "future suppressor owners".

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS
CallMeShooter

Post by CallMeShooter »

It is very impressive and generous that all of fees, AAC bucks, and parking went to the charity.

I thought it felt much cooler on Sunday due to the slight breeze. It honestly was not too hot Saturday as long as you were in the shade under the tent. The range officers took the brute of the heat. They deserve props also.

This was my first silencer shoot, so I did not know what to expect besides what wa published. I thought it was pretty spread out also. I definitely would bring my own ammo if I am ever able to go to another shoot. Some manufacturers were giving free ammo to test their cans, which was pretty cool. There was a wide variety of weapons and cans available to shoot, which was nice also. The lever gun was pretty awesome and very quiet. I was also able to shoot the 9" 300 BLK, and will be purchasing one this year hopefully. Subsonic it wa also very quiet with the 762-SD-N6.

Great job AAC, and everyone else involved.
Every knee will bow...
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Great Job AAC, you guys ROCK!!! :D It's always for a more than worthy cause and I'm glad to have supported it again and will continue to do so. Keep up the good work. :wink:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

MuXi115 wrote:Also, I had NO IDEA until today it was a fundraiser. That was not a very well made point on the part of AAC. The ammo prices for AAC 5.56 demos were inflated over retail so it may have benefited them to drive home the fact that it was all for charity.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/silenc ... arity.html
As in every past event, the proceeds from entry tickets, raffles and auctions will be donated to charity. This year's donations will go to support the PPB Project.
http://beta.ar15.com/archive/topic.html ... 0&t=335004
Green0 wrote: He and AAC, have used the wounded warrior project for marketing.
It is a tough balance. In 2009, we raised over $70,000 for Wounded Warrior, and got backlash from Green0 (Griffen Armament) for mentioning it. If we don't mention it much, like this year, we get backlash from people upset about paying to get in.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

Anyone who has been in Iraq combat and the 2011 shoot - I would be interested in hearing how the heat/humidity compared. I know it is hotter in Iraq, but less humidity - and I am not sure how that trades off.
Mr. Silvers, Sir.., it is much much hotter in Iraq- in fact it feels like you are standing inside an oven- you know what the oven feels like when you open it after baking something? That is what Iraq feels like in the summer. However, Iraq does not grab you in the lungs the way the heat at the shoot did. That heat was simply un-called for, but I was still glad I was not back in the box.

As for the individuals griping that you are trying to help or griping that you are charging parking etc... You can't make everybody happy. I wouldn't even worry about it- ya'll are doing the best that you can and doing a damn fine job of it. Bravo!
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Yes, Iraq is alot hotter, but, you are also carrying 100lbs of kit, wearing a rediculously hot IBA, helmet ect. Not to mention you are pissed off from management, opponents, loss of buddies, and what not, so if it were not for those things, it might not seem so hot, hard to say. We used to put IV's on ice and cool them off, then shoot them up. You could feel the coolness seep over your whole body, I kept thinking of that while we were sitting there, wishing I had one!
Having a wet Shamagh would also help.
Maybe you guys should give out Ranger IV's next time.........Ill pass though.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

I had a blast, AAC crew is one hell of a gang :)

The 8h ride up with AAC was a blast, Friday was HOT, saturday to and sunday alot better.
Friday was not a walk in the park, we worked our asses off setting up stuff in the 100F heat. I almost passed out *lol*, think i pee'd once and drank more than a gallon of water and gatoraid ..

Ride home was fun to haha..

Want to thank AAC to showing a swede a great time :)

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

silencertalk wrote:
Green0 wrote: He and AAC, have used the wounded warrior project for marketing.
It is a tough balance. In 2009, we raised over $70,000 for Wounded Warrior, and got backlash from Green0 (Griffen Armament) for mentioning it. If we don't mention it much, like this year, we get backlash from people upset about paying to get in.
What he says is irrelevant. Anyone with a brain knows to ignore that nimrod.
boogyman
Silent But Deadly

Post by boogyman »

82nd airborne wrote:Yes, Iraq is alot hotter, but, you are also carrying 100lbs of kit, wearing a rediculously hot IBA, helmet ect. Not to mention you are pissed off from management, opponents, loss of buddies, and what not, so if it were not for those things, it might not seem so hot, hard to say. We used to put IV's on ice and cool them off, then shoot them up. You could feel the coolness seep over your whole body, I kept thinking of that while we were sitting there, wishing I had one!
82nd, thank you for your service! Everyone this guy is a class act! If your ever thinking about buying a AR barrel, try his company first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 82nd, the next shoot, I owe you supper! Great to meet you and I hope you , your family and business are blessed. Everyone I can not stress how much of a outstanding man he is. If you want to donate to a true life "wounded warrior" project, buy a barrel from him.
Thanks
Great Danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil.....
boogyman
Silent But Deadly

Post by boogyman »

Great Danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil.....
Rick Finsta
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Rick Finsta »

Firstly, my wife and I had a great time and will return in the future. We drove 10.5 hours each way (just got home a little while ago), and I think we'd do it again (can't speak for her!).

Robert, while I appreciate and support your defensiveness (especially about the costs, even though I got a little upset about the unannounced parking fee and got REALLY "WTF H2O" myself) I think that there are a lot of lessons to be learned, and taking what feedback you can (after filtering out the BS) will only help the event, the industry, and the charities.

Thanks to everyone that put in so much hard work, and I can't wait for next year (next September, right...?)!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Agreed. I was only commenting on someone's statement that we were profiting from the fee. I was not defending the fee existing - I understand it was unexpected.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

boogyman wrote:
82nd airborne wrote:Yes, Iraq is alot hotter, but, you are also carrying 100lbs of kit, wearing a rediculously hot IBA, helmet ect. Not to mention you are pissed off from management, opponents, loss of buddies, and what not, so if it were not for those things, it might not seem so hot, hard to say. We used to put IV's on ice and cool them off, then shoot them up. You could feel the coolness seep over your whole body, I kept thinking of that while we were sitting there, wishing I had one!
82nd, thank you for your service! Everyone this guy is a class act! If your ever thinking about buying a AR barrel, try his company first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 82nd, the next shoot, I owe you supper! Great to meet you and I hope you , your family and business are blessed. Everyone I can not stress how much of a outstanding man he is. If you want to donate to a true life "wounded warrior" project, buy a barrel from him.
Thanks

Thanks very much! Likewise to you and yours! I will work hard to forgive you for making me broke, as Im afraid Im going to spend alot of money buying your cans, W.A.R. and everything else you had on the table!
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
shinglemonkey
Silent Operator

Post by shinglemonkey »

This was my first national suppressor shoot. I was amazed at the effort that AAC put into this event. None of the prices seemed out of line. We are dealing with NFA items that are not really a need in life. There is no reason that anyone should be bitching about the cost of anything.

As for the heat, Being from Indiana where we get into the 90's with high humidity I thought it weather was very tolerable. (Im also not 300 lbs over weight either).

I met a lot of great people and will go to the shoot next year.

Nice job to all involved.
dbrown
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

The shoot was awesome this year. Saturday was a bit warm to say the least. I think one of the more fun things was the room clearing with the UTM rounds. I noticed that no one mentioned that. Phillip and JBO made the experience terrific. It was definately something I would do again.

Saturday was hot, Sunday was better. I definately think that there were fewer people at the shoot on Sunday. I'm not complaining, that MP7 was awesome. I also enjoyed the 9" 300 blk. It was impressive to hear in person.

Thanks to the volunteers and range officers. Thanks also to the guy in the smoke lensed glasses who loaded all that ammo all weekend. Jason nice to meet you.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Congrats to all ... hope there is better attendance next year.

Is there a list out of the raffle winning tickets?
HotGuns
Silent But Deadly

Post by HotGuns »

Well...I had a great time. I was fortunate to be able to sit with Aaron and David from Delta Company Arms. Although they didnt have much on the table, that didnt seem to stop them from getting alot accomplished.

The guys from SilencerCo met with us and bought us supper. Great bunch of guys to spend the evening with.

Scott from Silenced America was very hosptial to us and a pleasure to meet. He is a good dude.

Got to talk to Major Malfunction for awhile, another interesting guy to talk to. Spent some time talking to Brooks at Thompson Machine, they have what may be the quietest .22 rifle in the history of the world in that integrally barreld Savage. I shot it and thought I had a squib. A split second later the bullet range the steel target at 100 yards. I wasnt convinced I even shot it. I shot again and nailedit again. I could litterally hear the firing pin whacking the primer. The RSO stepped up and told me to go ahead and shoot and I informed him that I did...twice. I shot a few more and let him try it. I think he was as impressed as I was.

Got to shoot some stuff from Innovative Arms. They too have some great stuff. That little .22 open bolt MG was a blast to shoot.Everybody ought to have at least one.

I was impressed with most of the vendors which seemed to go out of their way to accomodate you. Most everyone appeared to be good people. I was also impressed with the attendees. They seemed to be a cut above those that appears at the gunshows. Getting into suppressors isnt cheap,I know, and it seems like the cost weeds out the riff-raff.

I applaude the efforts of AAC. I felt for the workers that made it all come together. I'm surprised that none of them died from heatstroke as the heat was a bitch and most of them seemed to work their tails off.

I became a suppressor dealer for most of the dealers there. The only negatives I can say about the whole thing is that the guys from SureFire pissed me off. When I inquired about becoming a dealer, they wouldnt give me the time of day. I couldnt get any meaningful dialogue out of them at all. I did notice that their table had less visitors than any, because I sat across from them. Oh well... if they dont want my buisness there are many others out there.

I enjoyed chatting with the guys from Daniel Defense and LWRC that sat beside us. They were my kind of people.

All in all it was very enjoyable and I actually got a lot accomplished. I got to shoot some cool stuff and look at some state of the art equipment. I made some friends and learned alot more than I would have thought possible. I got a lot of cool Tshirts, most of them were free.

I'll be back. Hopefully the next one will be around 70 degrees. I drank 11 liters of water and never took a leak. Did I mention it was hot ? If not...it was HOT :shock:
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Rick Finsta wrote:I think that there are a lot of lessons to be learned, and taking what feedback you can (after filtering out the BS) will only help the event, the industry, and the charities.
No doubt.

I think taking a year off/different location and having Remington be a bigger influence all made for a lot of unexpected changes compared to the last Silencer Shoot.
ready_on_the_right
Silent But Deadly

Post by ready_on_the_right »

I bought raffle tix and don't think i ever got my numbers, where can I find out what #'s I had.

Mike
God, Family and Country
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Your numbers are on the e-mail you got from [email protected] titled "Your Order Was Received!" (At least mine were.)
fat_mcnasty

Post by fat_mcnasty »

Damn.. Maybe I can make it next year.. Fingers Crossed..