Red dot sight for FNP-45 Tactical

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

okent
Silent But Deadly

Re: Red dot sight for FNP-45 Tactical

Post by okent »

fsteinba wrote:
LavaRed wrote:
fsteinba wrote:When you finally get your hands on the FNP-45, be aware that the screws are Loctite'd from the factory.
How do I remove them? Will dipping in acetone be appropriate? Or will that damage the polymer and FDE finish?
Someone recommended heating the screw with a soldering iron first. It didn't work for me. I may try a left-handed drill bit/broken bolt extractor but will probably just drill the heads until they pop off. Once the heads are off, the cover plate will come off and expose what is left of the screws. I'll heat again with a soldering iron and use a vice-grip on the remaining stub of the screw. If that doesn't work, I'll have a real problem.
A screw broke off?!? I would definitely contact FN.
Drano

Post by Drano »

I am going to try the DeltaPoint. I like how it goes off when not detecting movement. I like how it is magnesium.
I have the DeltaPoint on an FNP-45 Tactical. Great choice for the reasons already mentioned. Only drawback is adjusting the red dot on this specific weapon.

Background:
To adjust the red dot on a DeltaPoint, the elevation screw is on the top and windage screw is on the left side. Prior to properly adjusting them, the DeltaPoint also has two small locking screws on the rear. These locking screws need to be loosened prior to adjusting the red dot. Once the red dot is adjusted, then the locking screws should be tightened.

Drawback:
When dropped-in and installed on the milled portion of the slide, the rear locking screws are very close to the rear iron sight. The tool provided does not fit between the DeltaPoint and the rear iron sight. Bottom line: you cannot unlock these screws while it is on the slide.

Solution/Options (Pick one of the following):
A) Remove the DeltaPoint and adjust until coincidental with the iron sights—what I did. It took about 5-10 minutes of some trial and error.

B) Fabricate a custom tool to fit between the small gap.

C) Install a custom mounting plate. The FNH plates provided fit the Doctor or RMR. Although Leupold also provides several plates with the DeltaPoint, none are for the FNP-45 Tactical. I did call Leupold, and they told me it should not need one for the FNP-45 Tactical.

D) Remove or relocate the rear iron sight

E) ____________ (for people smarter than me to fill in the blank)

Except for the one drawback, the DeltaPoint is awesome once adjusted. I would still recommend it.
BTW………When I called Leupold, I did make a humble suggestion to make one in FDE. Although they said they had no plans to do it in the near future, they thought it was a good idea.

I apologize for no pictures.

The RMR, Doctor, C-More, and FastFire are all good sights too, but have not tried them on the FNH.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Drano wrote:
I am going to try the DeltaPoint. I like how it goes off when not detecting movement. I like how it is magnesium.
I have the DeltaPoint on an FNP-45 Tactical. Great choice for the reasons already mentioned. Only drawback is adjusting the red dot on this specific weapon.

Background:
To adjust the red dot on a DeltaPoint, the elevation screw is on the top and windage screw is on the left side. Prior to properly adjusting them, the DeltaPoint also has two small locking screws on the rear. These locking screws need to be loosened prior to adjusting the red dot. Once the red dot is adjusted, then the locking screws should be tightened.

Drawback:
When dropped-in and installed on the milled portion of the slide, the rear locking screws are very close to the rear iron sight. The tool provided does not fit between the DeltaPoint and the rear iron sight. Bottom line: you cannot unlock these screws while it is on the slide.

A) Remove the DeltaPoint and adjust until coincidental with the iron sights—what I did. It took about 5-10 minutes of some trial and error.

C) Install a custom mounting plate. The FNH plates provided fit the Doctor or RMR. Although Leupold also provides several plates with the DeltaPoint, none are for the FNP-45 Tactical. I did call Leupold, and they told me it should not need one for the FNP-45 Tactical.

Except for the one drawback, the DeltaPoint is awesome once adjusted. I would still recommend it.
BTW………When I called Leupold, I did make a humble suggestion to make one in FDE. Although they said they had no plans to do it in the near future, they thought it was a good idea.

The RMR, Doctor, C-More, and FastFire are all good sights too, but have not tried them on the FNH.
Thanks, sounds like an excellent idea.

Now, the next question. Is it really worth my while and frantic budget stretching to mount a light on the FNP45? If so, which light should I mount. Note that my budget is really overstretched, so economy is of essence.

Thanks,
LavaRed
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

LavaRed wrote:
Drano wrote:

Background:

Drawback:

Thanks, sounds like an excellent idea.

Now, the next question. Is it really worth my while and frantic budget stretching to mount a light on the FNP45? If so, which light should I mount. Note that my budget is really overstretched, so economy is of essence.

Thanks,
LavaRed
FWIW, I'd have a light on a pistol long before a red dot.
Kick Ass Design
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The problem with lights on pistols is it is hard to carry them. I actually do have a holder that can accept a light, but it is not an IWB like I prefer.

Earlier this week I decided red dots on carry guns probably make sense, and I am going to try it out. Up until now, I only considered them on race guns.
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

silencertalk wrote:The problem with lights on pistols is it is hard to carry them. I actually do have a holder that can accept a light, but it is not an IWB like I prefer.
It would be simple to design a light that was no wider than the gun - running on one CR2 or CR123 with a 70 lumen led emitter. Run time would not be 5 hours but it would be far better than no light at all. All the current ideas on the market have problems....one designer needs to step up and hit it out of the park.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I agree that the handgun light market is waiting for a real solution.
Right now I have a TLR-1 on my home pistol but I just don't have a light on anything I carry.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Schulze wrote:
silencertalk wrote:The problem with lights on pistols is it is hard to carry them. I actually do have a holder that can accept a light, but it is not an IWB like I prefer.
It would be simple to design a light that was no wider than the gun - running on one CR2 or CR123 with a 70 lumen led emitter. Run time would not be 5 hours but it would be far better than no light at all. All the current ideas on the market have problems....one designer needs to step up and hit it out of the park.
Am I being tempted into desgining one? :D :twisted:
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
VERBOTN

Post by VERBOTN »

Timely post, new member and just picked up FN45 tactical with rmr. Optimizing this week then running it for a few hundred rounds to validate. First Fn for me, normally HK guy.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I kinda want one, but can't figure out why the threaded barrel protrudes so much. I will check them out at the NRA show. I suspect it will feel too large for carry. A Glock 17 is about as large as I want to go.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am in favor of the Leupold for a few reasons:

1. Aspheric lens for more clarity.
2. Does not tint the window.
3. 1/2 the weight.
4. Auto power off and wake up.
5. Width of a Glock side whereas the RMR is wider than the slide.
6. Much larger view.
7. Locking of adjustments.

The RMR may be more durable, I don't know. The structure of it looks thicker, so it probably is as per the housing. But there is also electronics and guts that are an unknown.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

cdnn has the trijicon rmr 8moa for like 150
its quiet time!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If they did, I would buy five of them.

But, no, they don't.
gkanga
Silent Operator

Post by gkanga »

silencertalk wrote:I kinda want one, but can't figure out why the threaded barrel protrudes so much. I will check them out at the NRA show. I suspect it will feel too large for carry. A Glock 17 is about as large as I want to go.
Probably too large to carry. I fiddled with the FNP45 at a trade show, it felt like a slightly shorter Mark 23 with a longer grip.
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

I agree that the FNP-45 is too large for me to carry unless I am wearing a parka.
Plus I shoot a 9mm so much better I just can't justify lugging that thing around except at the range.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

It does not look like it is coming far past his hand:

kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

silencertalk wrote:A handgun with no sights is still insanely more useful than no handgun. Just aim down the left top corner of a Glock.

I am starting to believe in this concept, and I am going to put a DeltaPoint on my Glock.
That is what I did. While having both iron and red dot is better, it does cost a lot and I'm not likely to be in a war.

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I checked this pistol out. The frame is not that large. The grip is. And I don't know why the barrel protrudes so much.

It seems better than a Mk23.

I compared the Trijicon to Deltapoint. Delta point matches the Glock slide width. Trijicon overhangs. Delta has a wider view. Delta has more clear optics. Delta turns off when no motion. Delta is 1/2 the weight. I ordered a Delta.
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I have both the RMR (4 of them) and a deltapoint. I really believe the RMR is a better built sight. I have beat the heck out of my 3 pistol mounted red dots. The deltapoint now sits on my 22/45.

One problem with the Deltapoint is that it does not have indented adjustments and you may not be able to access the locking screws if its set deep enough in the slide. Viewing size isnt really an issue nor is the coating / lens distortion. The dot is so far away from your eye all of that just doesnt matter.

I have been carrying an RMR on my G19 and now M&P9 for a year now. I also carry with a weapon mounted light. I had made a custom holster for the G19, but now have a kydex shop making a new holster for the M&P9.

I had to switch all of my pistols to red dots to avoid getting bad habits from shooting iron sighted pistols at all. It took me 2-3k rounds to really get the hang of the presentation. I think the future is in red dots on pistols and hope some of the larger red dot manufactures hop onboard. Until then the RMR works great and I am in love with the M&P/RMR combo.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
okent
Silent But Deadly

Post by okent »

Are you talking about problems going from irons to a dot?
I noticed a significant reduction in target acquisition shooting irons compared to a dot but I figured it was just a lack of practice.
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

CDNN has the Trijicon Red Dot - The Predecessor to the RMR.

They have all of the MS Series in stock now.

I purchased:

(1) MS01 - Doctor Optic 3.5MOA
(1) MS11 - Winged ACOG Mount for the MS01

(1) MS03 - Trijicon Red Dot - Essentially a JP J-Point (Same Optic)
(1) MS20 SIG Pistol Mount

I also purchased an ADM AD-TR for the Red Dot.

So far, I'm not sure about durability of each, but the prices were cheap enough to get me to jump into the MiniRedDot Game head first.

I did alot of research on the Trijicon Red Dots, and they use the same mounts as the J Points, and have a lifetime warranty. That is good enough for me to want to try one.

CDNN has them for $150ish with mounts as low as $20 each for pistol mounts and $50 for ACOG Mounts. For that price you can give it a shot and if it breaks, you'll get to test the lifetime warranty policy.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

Yes, the height of the dot above the slide is much higher than irons, also there is no physical reference like there is with irons, if you can't see the dot, it's difficult to know which way to rotate the gun to get it. I had to go all in and get the most practice time with a dot before I could become proficient in the presentation.
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
JohnDS
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnDS »

I'm only seeing the trijicon for $239, am I missing something? Mind posting a link, or is it not listed online (magazine only?).
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I compared them again. Trijicon has mucho distortion. Way more than an Aimpoint. It seemed to make objects larger. The Leopold had none. The Insight had almost none.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

JohnDS wrote:I'm only seeing the trijicon for $239, am I missing something? Mind posting a link, or is it not listed online (magazine only?).
There is no $150 RMR. He was incorrect.