Using stainless/brass media to clean baffles.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

mg81
Silent But Deadly

Re: Using stainless/brass media to clean baffles.

Post by mg81 »

I know it is not as manly as buying from a firearm supplier, but if you want to see what is available in tumbling media types take a look at some of the art metal and jewelry suppliers (Rio Grand is a huge supplier and has an excellent website). They have a bunch of shapes, sizes and types of tumbling media. They will also have proper soaps, you really don't want a sudsy dish soap, there are specific soaps that where developed for this type of work, no need to reinvent the wheel. The correct soap in the correct ratio will get your work cleaner, faster and keep your media in better condition. They will also be able to tell you how full your tumbler should be with media, water and work. It really matters, the amount of "drop" inside a tumbler effects how well things will clean, how fast and if they will get deformed. This is a well worked out out technology/method, once again no reason to reinvent the wheel.

As a bonus these suppliers are used to dealing in small quantities, so you won't be gouged for a small amount/order.

So far as the absorption of lead into your body. For you to absorb any of the lead through your skin regardless of it being in a water solution or any number of salts or oxides you would need to have skin that is cut to hell. Your skin does a really good job keeping inorganic elements out. On the other hand if you breath the dust from a dry vibratory tumbler or you are eating handfuls of chips without washing your hands, then yes I would say you are giving yourself an decent chance of lead exposure.
Last edited by mg81 on Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Because of this topic and your post, I ordered the top of the line package.

I hope it works with the Element baffles.

I love shooting it, but dread cleaning it with a brush.
NRA Benefactor Member
oldcoot
Silent But Deadly

Post by oldcoot »

Tag for reference
Arma tuentur pacem
mark43

Post by mark43 »

What kind of tumbler is everyone using? Will any tumbler do? I'd really like to try this with my Prodigy monocore.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

It has to be a rotary type of tumbler. A "dry" vibrating tumbler won't work.

I ordered this tumbler, but any type rotary will work. They sell a complete set with polish, stainless pins & tumbler. Shop around for the best price.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/t ... eed-7.html
NRA Benefactor Member
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

So there shouldnt be any problem putting the ss sparrow core and clam shells in this tumbler, right?

Can I just throw all the pieces in at once or should each piece be tumbled and cleaned individually?
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

thoppe wrote:So there shouldnt be any problem putting the ss sparrow core and clam shells in this tumbler, right?

Can I just throw all the pieces in at once or should each piece be tumbled and cleaned individually?
I'd take it apart. That's so all the baffles can be cleaned 100%, plus there is no chance of a pin or two getting stuck inside.

The only problem with throwing the tube in, is the possibity of removing the outside finish.

When I try mine, I'll clean the tube and end caps the old way. They don't get that dirty anyway.
NRA Benefactor Member
Yeadon
Silent Operator

Post by Yeadon »

PAIN wrote:
thoppe wrote:So there shouldnt be any problem putting the ss sparrow core and clam shells in this tumbler, right?

I'd take it apart. That's so all the baffles can be cleaned 100%, plus there is no chance of a pin or two getting stuck inside.

The only problem with throwing the tube in, is the possibity of removing the outside finish.

When I try mine, I'll clean the tube and end caps the old way. They don't get that dirty anyway.
Please give us a report :D
.308, Because people hide behind cars.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Yeadon wrote:
Please give us a report :D

Mine will be delivered next Monday so that means in two weeks the element gets dirty, real dirty. I'll take before and after pics to test out the tumbler.

There are youtube videos on the web of a British guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA2vYR17 ... e=youtu.be using the same tumbler to clean cases. He was very impressed with everything including the final clean cases reported. Those cases did look new too!

If it cleans baffles I'm throwing a party! If not, I'm a reloader so I won't lose anything.
NRA Benefactor Member
buckgunner
Silent Operator

Post by buckgunner »

+1
Yeadon
Silent Operator

Post by Yeadon »

Thanks for the link PAIN
.308, Because people hide behind cars.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Yeadon wrote:Thanks for the link PAIN
Your welcome. We all should help each other out. :mrgreen:

I got my can dirty today....... but the tumbler will be delivered UPS Monday. So I put the baffles a side for now.
Last edited by PAIN on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Benefactor Member
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

Looking forward to part 2 of your review Pain! :D
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Cleaning baffles with a Thumler's Rotary High Speed Tumbler.

I fired 200 rounds of CCI Green Tag ammunition out of my pistol equipped with an AAC Element silencer. This ammo was purchased in bulk years ago. It’s subsonic and like all CCI ammo, it burns clean.

I pushed out the baffles which needed thumb pressure to remove. 200 rounds would be a good round count to test if the rotary tumbler using stainless media could clean the baffles. Here are the baffles.

They are dirty enough to use a bronze brush or Scotch Brite, but I didn’t want to spend several hours of tedious hand work, cleaning the baffles the old way. To be clear, I cleaned the silencer tube and end caps the old way with solvent. I didn’t want to damage the exterior finish. These parts are not that hard to clean anyway.

To prep the baffles, I lightly brushed the baffles with a dry nylon brush to knock off the loose debris. Then I turned to the aid of the tumbler.

I purchased the tumbler and kit thru this company.

http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

I added 2 tablespoons of dawn dishwater detergent and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-shine detergent into the drum. Then I placed the baffles and media into the drum. I filled the drum ¾ “ to the top with cold tap water.

I ran the tumbler for 4 hours. There was no damage to the baffles caused by tumbling. They were about 95% clean. A few baffles were 100% clean. The baffles looked new looking. Simply stunning! Of the baffles not perfectly clean, I spent a few minutes picking the few spots remaining with a tiny screwdriver. The lead didn’t stick and mostly flicked right off.

So, next time either run the tumbler another hour or so, or shoot it a little less. Either way I found an easy way to clean up my silencer baffles.

One note on the tumbler. I added a piece of wood about ½ inch thick to support the rear of the motor. Without the wood support the motor was bouncing some and it was vibrating. After the support was added, as the machine was running cleaning up the baffles, it was very quiet. An added bonus is a quiet machine!

I also pulled out the rubber liner and wiped it dry underneth. I have read stories of rust under the liner. So the simple 30 seconds of extra work will protect the machine from internal rusting. I air dried the stainless media after I rinsed it well with cold water. Ready for the next time!

No more brushing with solvent soaked fingers. I’m very pleased. This tumbling method is a good alternative to the dip.

NRA Benefactor Member
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

I bought 5 lbs of stainless media. It arrived about a week ago and I have been tumbling ever since.

I ran about 3 loads a day for about a week. No baffles yet, just brass. I just finished last night.

I've seen people talk about drying their brass before storing it again. I've seen people make a drying box with a 'soon to be banned' incandescent light bulb and a small fan. Well - I was going to Good Will the other day to look for a pair of colanders that I could hinge together and make a media seperator.
Well - I found a food dehydrator. It has a heating element in the bottom, and 5 vented racks. It works perfectly as a brass dryer.
Oh - Good Will wanted 4.00 for it. Money well spent!

Cant wait to use the tumbler for baffles.
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Hmm :? could you use empty 0,22lr cases as a medium :wink:

Maybe run them alone first ,to clean them , change the water , and then ad the baffles
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

Outstanding PAIN, this is exactly what I've been looking for. :D

The baffles in your Element are stainless correct? Do you know if this process will also work for aluminum and Titanium baffles or if there are any extra precautions that need to be taken with other material baffles? Thanks again!

Eric
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Nice report PAIN. :D Clean and easy for sures.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

wolf wrote:Hmm :? could you use empty 0,22lr cases as a medium :wink:

Maybe run them alone first ,to clean them , change the water , and then ad the baffles
Way ahead of you amigo! I've had 22 shells cleaned and ready but need to pick up rheostat switch for my $5 home makes tumbler. :( Boy and I do a "build off" and he beat me already! :cry: (his work nice and quiet)

This is also easy way to dry brass. (shaky shaky, hang)

Already have idea for betters media that no harm steel but is scratchy. :P More laters.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Nice report. I got stainless medium and the brass -and both work great. Those baffles look clean!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

Ookster wrote:Outstanding PAIN, this is exactly what I've been looking for. :D

The baffles in your Element are stainless correct? Do you know if this process will also work for aluminum and Titanium baffles or if there are any extra precautions that need to be taken with other material baffles? Thanks again!

Eric
Element baffles are steel alloy. The original poster ran his tumbler with aluminum baffles. He was pleased with the results.
NRA Benefactor Member
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

For drying you can put them in a container with holes in it on the heat ex-changer of your air conditioner. Blows lots of hot air and drys fast.(baffles and brass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
FL_Tactical

Post by FL_Tactical »

Anyone have a source for the brass media? Would like to try it on my aluminum baffles.

Thanks.
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

FL_Tactical wrote:Anyone have a source for the brass media? Would like to try it on my aluminum baffles.

Thanks.
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/s ... media.html
NRA Benefactor Member
FL_Tactical

Post by FL_Tactical »

PAIN wrote:
FL_Tactical wrote:Anyone have a source for the brass media? Would like to try it on my aluminum baffles.

Thanks.
http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/s ... media.html

I was asking about the brass media. Only see the stainless media on that site.