Using stainless/brass media to clean baffles.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Using stainless/brass media to clean baffles.

Post by jimmym40a2 »

After getting brass(stainless will work) media to clean my cartridges.The bright idea came to me to clean the baffles on my tac 65. I had about 500 round thru it and had to hammer pretty hard to get the baffles out. They were pretty dirty. The worst was the first. Well I thru them in the tumbler for 2 hours. I thought they would be clean like my brass. They were "cleaner" but not squeaky clean. 3 more hours and this time I thru in some lem-shine. ( just used dawn before.) Much better.
This is looking very good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Using stainless/brass media to clean baffles.

Post by SRM »

Sweet!!! Did you make the media?
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Lookses good. :D

No one listen to me. (tumbles) :cry: Cleaner no dust.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70283&p=682146#p682146
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Emilio wrote:Lookses good. :D

Yeah no lead dust but now that liquid is saturated with lead, so none in the air but now all over Jimmy's hands.

On a different note, where did you get the brass cleaning rods? i have seen the stainless ones but do they make brass as well? After years of replacing corncob and walnut media I m ready to move on!

-B
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Bendersquint wrote:

Yeah no lead dust but now that liquid is saturated with lead, so none in the air but now all over Jimmy's hands.

On a different note, where did you get the brass cleaning rods? i have seen the stainless ones but do they make brass as well? After years of replacing corncob and walnut media I m ready to move on!

-B
Diego needs gloves but no breath scrapings . :D Try Hobby shops for brasses.
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

I bought tbe brass in a gun shop. It was more expensive than stainless. Im going to get some stainless and compare. I washed my hands right after pulling out the baffles. Stainless is the best way to clean your brass and is a great way to clean your baffles as well.once you have used it you wont go back to messy walnuts, etc.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jimmym40a2 wrote:I bought tbe brass in a gun shop. It was more expensive than stainless. Im going to get some stainless and compare. I washed my hands right after pulling out the baffles. Stainless is the best way to clean your brass and is a great way to clean your baffles as well.once you have used it you wont go back to messy walnuts, etc.
Thats what I am hoping, now just need to find someone to buy my Dillon monster tumbler!

-B
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Bendersquint wrote:

-B
Wouldn't the lead (since it is insoluble) just be suspended in the water? If it is just water and dish soap, there would be no acetate. I'm not sure about the citric acid and lead though, but I would guess it is a lot safer than the dip, so you are just dealing with lead in a solid form though drenched, and is no different than handling bullets.

I think
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bowen1911 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

-B
Wouldn't the lead (since it is insoluble) just be suspended in the water? If it is just water and dish soap, there would be no acetate. I'm not sure about the citric acid and lead though, but I would guess it is a lot safer than the dip, so you are just dealing with lead in a solid form though drenched, and is no different than handling bullets.

I think
Yes it would be safer than the dip for sure HOWEVER its still there and still can soak into your hands. It would be alot worse than handling bullets. Boollits for the most part are solid, not a wet powder like in the tumbler.

Still best to use some nitrile gloves and call it a day. Dispose of it properly(not the sink/toilet).

I am looking forward to trying it, wonder what the suppressor tube would do in there?

-B
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

Sounds like a job for an SOT to find out!
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Bowen1911 wrote:Sounds like a job for an SOT to find out!
Agreed, will order some ss pins, fill a can then see how well they work and if there are any damage to the threads or what not.

-B
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Anyone have a link to brass/stainless media? Thanks. I must be searching the wrong places. Thanks.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

66427vette wrote:Anyone have a link to brass/stainless media? Thanks. I must be searching the wrong places. Thanks.
You might give

<< http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PART ... NO=4837964 >>

a TUMBLE. :)

Often these companies have major discounts on bags of bearings.
Or you can get fine brass rods and chop them with a cheap cut off tool.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Slow rolling the suppressor, having of course removed the baffles, with a cork in
each end to hold the fine ball bearings will clean/polish the walls, and along with
anti-seize glop facilitates disassembly.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Historian wrote:Slow rolling the suppressor, having of course removed the baffles, with a cork in
each end to hold the fine ball bearings will clean/polish the walls, and along with
Dont need the corks, just throw it in there.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

SRM wrote:
Historian wrote:Slow rolling the suppressor, having of course removed the baffles, with a cork in
Dont need the corks, just throw it in there.

I concur with your observation.

In my case though, since I have always over-engineered everything,
for my cylinders I tend to over fill. FIrst time I jostled the set up and a
big OOOPS! spilling of many 'nano'- balls occurred as they happily liberated themselves.
Weeks later I was still retrieving stragglers. :)
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Darin Reiss
Silent Operator

Post by Darin Reiss »

66427vette wrote:Anyone have a link to brass/stainless media? Thanks. I must be searching the wrong places. Thanks.
H&H Gun Range in OKC has the brass media for sale.

http://www.hhgunrange.com/

Darin Reiss
FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS
John in AR

Post by John in AR »

TAC65 baffles are aluminum, correct? Reason I ask is I have an old Norrell design ruger Mk2 suppressor with aluminum baffles that I've always played hob trying to clean. Thanks
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

TAC65 baffles are aluminum, correct?
Yes.
I got some stainless steel media. I will try it next and see how it compares.
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

New guy needs help with setup. :shock:

Just had Gemtech JB my Outback II (aluminum unanodized baffles) and Benderquint is upgrading the baffles in my Evo 9 to SS/Ti. I won't buy a non user-serviceable can again if I can avoid it.

I don't have a blast cabinet, nor do I reload so I don't have a tumbler. I want to get a good setup for cleaning my baffles, and the tumbler method seems to be the way to go. I like the idea of being able to just drop them in there, turn it on, and come back in a few hours to shiny clean baffles.

Would something like this work ok for a tumbler?

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... %20Tumbler

If someone could walk me through the steps I need to take in this process (in a "Cleaning Baffles for Dummies" approach) I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Eric
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

Ookster wrote:New guy needs help with setup. :shock:

Just had Gemtech JB my Outback II (aluminum unanodized baffles) and Benderquint is upgrading the baffles in my Evo 9 to SS/Ti. I won't buy a non user-serviceable can again if I can avoid it.

I don't have a blast cabinet, nor do I reload so I don't have a tumbler. I want to get a good setup for cleaning my baffles, and the tumbler method seems to be the way to go. I like the idea of being able to just drop them in there, turn it on, and come back in a few hours to shiny clean baffles.

Would something like this work ok for a tumbler?

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... %20Tumbler

If someone could walk me through the steps I need to take in this process (in a "Cleaning Baffles for Dummies" approach) I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Eric
You have to use a rotary tumbler. Vibratory tumblers won't work for this. Look on ebay for Thumbler's Tumbler. They make several sizes. If all you are going to use it for is baffle cleaning, get the smallest one. They go for around $50 used on ebay. If you are handy and can make something to rotate a coffee can at about 30rpm, that would work too. I made a monster brass tumbler from PVC pipe that will clean 1k 308's using these. So it can be done.

For a 1 gal. capacity tumbler, use 5lbs. of SS pins, 2 Tablespoons of Dawn or similar dish soap, and 1/4 teaspoon of Lemi-Shime. Turn it on and let run for at least 3-4 hours.

The pins can be bought here:

http://www.pelletsllc.com/

Pellet Pins 304SS .041 X .265 (it is magnetic)
$35 per 5lbs. incl. USPS flat rate shipping
$65 10lbs.

Kevin Walters
Technical Sales

Pellets LLC
63 Industrial Drive
North Tonawanda, NY 14120
P:716-693-1750
F:716-693-1880
C:716-471-5855
1-800-336-6017
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Or you can make your own tumbler cheap. You have to be carefuls with Aluminum.
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

Emilio wrote:Or you can make your own tumbler cheap. You have to be carefuls with Aluminum.
I'm ok with buying a good tumbler to do the job. I plan on having many more silencers that are (hopefully) all take apart. What extra precautions do you need to take with aluminum? Is the process any different for stainless or Ti baffles?

Also, what is the best method of disposing of the containimated water after cleaning lead covered .22lr baffles?

Thanks everyone for the advice! That's what makes boards like this great.

Eric
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Post by no4mk1t »

Since the lead is not dissolved into the water like with the dip, you can probably filter it out of the water with a coffee filter. Or, allow the tumbler water to settle after removing the baffles and the pins, (they're magnetic) pour off the clear water and leave what's left with the particles in it to evaporate in the sun in a old gallon paint can.
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman