I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help.

Post by edteach »

I have posted here and gotten much information on the YHM Mite. I decided to just take the Mite knowing it was not a top shelf can. The seller has not gotten it in after 3 weeks and Since I did not buy it by order but rather the seller had already ordered a lot in and I was buying one of those, I am sure I can cancel the sale. I found another seller in my area that has a Tactical Innovations Quest. It is SS instead of the YH aluminum, and its 50 more than the YH. The great thing is its in and I can start the transfer this week. My question is, is the TI Quest a top shelf can and is it worth the extra 50-70 more than the YH? I think the SS alone would be worth that, this one is the Blackened ceramic baked coating all SS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
DOGON
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Re: I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help

Post by ronin111 »

There are better models available, it's about a 5 year old design. Do some more research before you buy and don't stress about the time frame. The process takes a long time so don't rush into a purchase just because it's available. I'm not sure what the price is on the Quest but it might be worth it to spend a little more to get a much better quality can. I would recommend a stainless take apart can to make cleaning easier.

A few to look at:

Silencerco Sparrow
SWR Spectre
AAC Element
Surefire 22-S
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

The top cans are the ELEMENT, PRODIGY, Spectre, SPARROW, KODIAK... in any order depending on your priorities.

3 weeks is not at all a long wait in the NFA game.
Kick Ass Design
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

There are so many good 22 silencers (Jason mentioned them) to pick from and they are all very available. There is no reason to settle for an inferior one. All of those mentioned (and maybe that new Surefire one once it ships) are all great and MUCH better than the mite.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

OK, I delete for you moderators since you like to delete my postings for no reason. :cry: ns.
Last edited by Emilio on Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

edteach wrote: My question is, is the TI Quest a top shelf can and is it worth the extra 50-70 more than the YH? I think the SS alone would be worth that, this one is the Blackened ceramic baked coating all SS. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
It performs only marginally better than the Mite. Elite Iron Echo L is a SS K baffle can that retails for less than the Quest but performs among the top cans.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I just do not have enough choice in the Wichita area. I have only one place that will even work with me, they have the Gemtec Alpine for 425 Or I can wait for the YHM for 280. I can not even get a call back on the Tec 65. The only place I can find that will do a transfer charge 100 and I still have to wait 6 weeks to get my purchase. I will just wait for the YH or give up. There are so many hoops to jump through it takes all the fun out of it.
DOGON
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

edteach wrote:I just do not have enough choice in the Wichita area. I have only one place that will even work with me, they have the Gemtec Alpine for 425 Or I can wait for the YHM for 280. I can not even get a call back on the Tec 65. The only place I can find that will do a transfer charge 100 and I still have to wait 6 weeks to get my purchase. I will just wait for the YH or give up. There are so many hoops to jump through it takes all the fun out of it.
Here are some lists of NFA dealers in your state.

http://www.major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_005.htm
http://www.swrmfg.com/swr-dealer-locato ... l?Itemid=0
http://www.advanced-armament.com/dealerlocator.aspx
http://www.silencerco.com/?page=Locate-A-Dealer
http://www.gem-tech.com/store/pc/viewCo ... p?idpage=7 (Look in the first answer for the link)
http://www.libertycans.net/stockingdealers.html

Do yourself a favor and don't settle on the YHM or TAC65. Get one of the ones mentioned above. The process takes too long and is a pain enough without getting a piece of crap.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

These guys are giving you good advice. There are less than 10 really great .22 silencers that put the rest to shame. I'd avoid the prodigy though, do a search if you're thinking of going with it. Personally, Spectre and SS Sparrow look the best to me. But I haven't looked at the Liberty can for sound levels. That one might be better, I dunno.
BookHound
Silent But Deadly

Post by BookHound »

The Mite is so unimpressive to me that you couldn't give me one even if you paid the tax stamp. I've got first-hand experience with it and have shot more than one Mite side by side other products. I bought two to play with to see if I wanted to stock them and ended up flipping them for below my cost after really using one for a few weeks.

The Mite is harder than other suppressors to take apart when dirty. It isn't very quiet. So, WHY buy one?

Mark
JohnDS
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnDS »

I got 2 mites at a time when there weren't many 22LR cans that could handle 17HMR & were user serviceable. I still use them a lot on 17HMR.

Hind sight being 20/20, I would replace every 22LR suppressor I have with the SilencerCo Sparrow and SS Sparrow. It is really REALLY convenient to clean after 4000 rounds fired. Not many cans have that feature.

When you go through 2 550 bulk packs in a range session many cans will require cleaning every range session. The sparrow and SS sparrow allow you to have a fun day shooting without dreading the cleaning process.

Note - soda blasting makes life much more enjoyable.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Found a dealer near me that I purchased an instock TAC 65 for 180, tool for 25. He let me put it on my p22 and rund a couple of mags through it. The CBs were very quiet.
DOGON
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

edteach wrote:Found a dealer near me that I purchased an instock TAC 65 for 180, tool for 25. He let me put it on my p22 and rund a couple of mags through it. The CBs were very quiet.
dude cbs are quiet without a can and dont cycle. Do yourself a favor and get a can that will make normal cycling ammo quiet.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I know CBs do not cycle but I did not have any sub sonic and this would give me an idea of how it would sound. CBs may be quiet on a rifle but they are not quiet on a pistol and sound every bit as loud as a regular unsuppressed 22 out of a rifle. The Hyper velocity. 22 in the TAC with the sonic report was not near as quiet as the CB. The CB was about the same to my ear as my pellet gun pumped up 10 times. I was told be the dealer that a regular 22 CCI would be not much different than the CB, even if its a bit louder it will work for me. At this price point I am only paying 75 for the tax stamp compared to the YH and there is a life time warranty on this can also. It is aluminum and seems to be well made. I has to my eye the same baffle system that the YH Alpine has. We used pull grease for pulling wires to shoot it wet.
DOGON
CrazyDoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by CrazyDoc »

I got my Tac-65 and am very pleased with it. I might not be the greatest out there but for my first can I will say I will own many more to come! As a first I don't see anything wrong with the Tac-65!

ETA- I will say don't NOT get what you want due to having to wait, waiting kills me as a rule but the wait in this game is always gona be worth it to me! If you can aford a better can get it! you'll wait many more times down the road for the good fun NFA provides!

Toole
"If hooking a cat up to a car battery will help cure cancer, I have one thing to tell you. Red is positive and black is negative.

I will say no more."
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

edteach wrote:I know CBs do not cycle but I did not have any sub sonic and this would give me an idea of how it would sound. CBs may be quiet on a rifle but they are not quiet on a pistol and sound every bit as loud as a regular unsuppressed 22 out of a rifle. The Hyper velocity. 22 in the TAC with the sonic report was not near as quiet as the CB. The CB was about the same to my ear as my pellet gun pumped up 10 times. I was told be the dealer that a regular 22 CCI would be not much different than the CB, even if its a bit louder it will work for me. At this price point I am only paying 75 for the tax stamp compared to the YH and there is a life time warranty on this can also. It is aluminum and seems to be well made. I has to my eye the same baffle system that the YH Alpine has. We used pull grease for pulling wires to shoot it wet.
Your dealer lied to you even in my element the cbs are quieter than Aquila subsonics which is a pretty weak load barley cycles the slide on a lot of pistols. Yes the cbs are fairly loud unsuppressed in a pistol but they are not nearly as loud as a cycling subsonic in a pistol so I dont get where you get every bit as loud. Unless of course your hearing sucks in which case the mite or TAC will be fine for you but maybe not as impressive to others. Of course cbs they are going to be pellet gun quiet in the crappiest of suppressor designs there is just not much gas to stop. If you have to shoot a .22 can wet to get it quiet your doing it wrong. Just trying to help you not make a mistake on which is a lifetime purchase.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Uh, OK. LOL
DOGON
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

As has been said, there are many better choices than a Mite. You need to hear some top shelf cans with standard velocity and subsonic ammo and compare them with like ammo on like hosts to the Mite. I would be surprised if you don't change your mind.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I bought the TI-65, the price of 180 all in is not bad for an entry level can. I have been told its a bit better than the YH. I understand its an entry level can but at that price it is paying for half my tax stamp. The YH was 300 plus a stamp this is 180 plus a stamp. For me thats more in the ball park. I am not looking to off set the size of my male member with having the "best" I rather want a can to get into the hobby and see if it is something I even like or think is worth getting deeper into. To have a can to tear apart and play with, and check different loads is something I want to do with out spending next months mortgage payment. This will work for me and I was happy with the level of quiet it produced. I looked up the TI on youtube and watched it compared to other cans and it seemed fine to me. The hyper velocity Remington's I shot I could only hear the sonic report. No can is going to stop that. The CBs made the same amount of noise as I could make making a pellet gun noise with my mouth.

I think that telling people that their first car needs to be a Porsche instead of a Ford Focus is not very realistic. Unless your daddy left you money to burn many people do not want to spend 700 for a can when 380 will buy one that gets you into the hobby.
I have been in many hobby's over the years and you do not start off in RC Airplanes with a P51 Mustang, you start off with a 89 dollar cheap trainer and see if you even like the hobby before you dump 1k into a plane.
DOGON
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

BookHound wrote:The Mite is so unimpressive to me that you couldn't give me one even if you paid the tax stamp. I've got first-hand experience with it and have shot more than one Mite side by side other products. I bought two to play with to see if I wanted to stock them and ended up flipping them for below my cost after really using one for a few weeks.

The Mite is harder than other suppressors to take apart when dirty. It isn't very quiet. So, WHY buy one?

Mark
Agree. My Spectre blows that can away. The Mite is loud when compared. Very noticeable.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:I think that telling people that their first car needs to be a Porsche instead of a Ford Focus is not very realistic. Unless your daddy left you money to burn many people do not want to spend 700 for a can when 380 will buy one that gets you into the hobby.
I have been in many hobby's over the years and you do not start off in RC Airplanes with a P51 Mustang, you start off with a 89 dollar cheap trainer and see if you even like the hobby before you dump 1k into a plane.
What would you buy if there was a $200 tax on the rc plane? The $400 plane or the $200 plane. Knowing that the plane is subject to a $200 tax, the more expensive model sounds better, is made of better parts, probably more durable, and the performance far superior.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

What would you buy if there was a $200 tax on the RC plane? The $400 plane or the $200 plane. Knowing that the plane is subject to a $200 tax, the more expensive model sounds better, is made of better parts, probably more durable, and the performance far superior.
I would buy the 89 dollar cheapest plane I could. For an entry into the field the 400 or 700 dollar plane would be more than most if not all people getting into the field could handle, and it would be more than they need or could use to get accustomed to flying. If you find out you do not really love the hobby you can sell the cheap plane easier then the more expensive one. The higher you get in price the more people want to get brand new and money means less. Same I am sure with a can, if I have 180 into the can I can get maybe 200 if lucky out of the can maybe a bit less, If I buy a 500 dollar can I can get maybe 350 out of it. I will be losing more than the cost of the cheaper can. So for 380 all in to see if I even like the hobby is a much easier roll of the dice than if I put in 800 and hope I see the value. I will say that if I were around people in the hobby for a long while and became familiar with out being an owner, that may give me the understanding and knowledge of what I want, and that I like the hobby to buy a HQ can out of the gate. But without that information, I will have to learn the hobby, what is what and even if it is something I want to take further. I have found with any collecting or hobby, to jump in with both feet and start off with the best of everything is not a good way to start. I have collected Civil War Firearms, and I would not advise anyone to just start off with a Le Matt Revolver for 85k, Maybe a Colt Navy in good condition for 800 would be better.

I think that if someone wants an expensive can out of the gate that that is their decision and its fine, but I also think that the dogma of buying all you can afford from the start may not be for everyone and there should be room for people to buy cans that are good but may not be as good as the best the market has to offer. If a better design comes out and makes the Sparrow old tech, what then? I have never been one of those who thinks he has to run to the Apple store every time they drop some new POS and tell people you can't live with out this. I have been one who buys the older Tech. that is last years at a 75% discount and runs it for a few years and its just fine. Cutting edge does not last and will cost you big bucks if one has to chase after having the latest best thing.

Would any advise that the first car a person gets with out ever owning or even riding in one is a Mustang GT? I do not see the logic in that thinking. How about getting a good used car and seeing if you like driving, and if you want to take it further. Maybe you will see after a month that you are happier to use the Subway system and no you are not losing big $ on the GT. If you do not want to maintain the vehicle or are a bad driver and the car gets beat up, I would rather learn on a POS junker that I have 800 into than a 35k car. But thats just my opinion. I have listened to the suppression of the Gemtech, YHmite, TAC 65 and Sparrow. I can say that there is a better suppression with the Sparrow by a bit, but it was not enough for me to feel like the others did not offer anything. Its like anything what is it going to be used for? If you need that extra drop in Db than I guess you need it, but I don't see it for me being worth triple the money.
DOGON
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:

What would you buy if there was a $200 tax on the RC plane? The $400 plane or the $200 plane. Knowing that the plane is subject to a $200 tax, the more expensive model sounds better, is made of better parts, probably more durable, and the performance far superior.
I would buy the 89 dollar cheapest plane I could. For an entry into the field the 400 or 700 dollar plane would be more than most is not all getting into the field can handle and it would be more than they need or can use to get accustomed to flying. If you find out you do not really love the hobby you can sell the cheap plane easier then the more expensive one. The higher you get in price the more people want to get new and money does not matter. Same I am sure with a can, if I have 380 into the can I can get maybe 200 if lucky out of the can maybe a bit less, If I buy a 500 dollar can I can get maybe 350 out of it. I will be losing more than the cost of the cheaper can. So for 380 all in to see if I even like the hobby its a much easier roll of the dice than if I put in 800. I will say that I will say that if I were around people in the hobby for a long while and knew it with out being an owner, that may give me the understanding and knowing of what I want, will like and what to buy. But without that information, I will have to learn the hobby, what is what and even if it is something I want to take further. I have found with any collecting or hobby to jump in with both feet and start off with the best of everything is not a good way to start. I have collected Civil War Firearms, and I would not advise anyone to just start off with a Le Matt Revolver for 85k, Maybe a Colt Navy in good condition for 800 would be better.

I think that if someone wants an expensive can out of the gate that that is their decision and its fine, but I also think that the dogma of buying all you can afford from the start may not be for everyone and there should be room for people to buy cans that are good but may not be as good as the best the market has to offer. If a better design comes out and makes the Sparrow old tech, what then? I have never been one of those who thinks he has to run to the Apple store every time they drop some new POS and tell people you can't live with out this. I have been one who buys the older Tech. that is last years at a 75% discount and runs it for a few years and its just fine. Cutting edge does not last and will cost you big bucks if one has to chase after having the latest best thing.
Who buys $200 silencers to resale? There is no market for them because a $200 silencer has little to no value. By the time the FFL gets their cut, the silencer has to be sold for near nothing. Even if the silencer was new and was never used the $200 tax and FFL fee is 75% of what the original purchaser paid for the silencer. Even then, if the silencer had a warranty I'm not sure the manufacturer, in most cases, would warranty a second hand suppressor.

People buy suppresors to keep them. They don't want a throw away silencer. They want a silencer that is easy to take apart. They want a can that is easy to clean. They want a multi-caliber can. They want a short can. They want a relatively quiet silencer. They want a can with no threads on the serialized tube. I'll bet that if everyone knew all of the options before purchasing a silencer, instead of listening to a dealer's sales talk, they would opt for a silencer which would cost $400 over one which was half the price.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:Would any advise that the first car a person gets with out ever owning or even riding in one is a Mustang GT? I do not see the logic in that thinking. How about getting a good used car and seeing if you like driving, and if you want to take it further. Maybe you will see after a month that you are happier to use the Subway system and no you are not losing big $ on the GT. If you do not want to maintain the vehicle or are a bad driver and the car gets beat up, I would rather learn on a POS junker that I have 800 into than a 35k car. But thats just my opinion. I have listened to the suppression of the Gemtech, YHmite, TAC 65 and Sparrow. I can say that there is a better suppression with the Sparrow by a bit, but it was not enough for me to feel like the others did not offer anything. Its like anything what is it going to be used for? If you need that extra drop in Db than I guess you need it, but I don't see it for me being worth triple the money.
I would advise that person to buy a good car for $400 instead of; a piece of crap that is noisy, is made out of crappy materials, one that is non-repairable, one that may not be repaired, and only costs $200 less. Like it or not a 100% tax on a crappy $200 suppressor means that the suppressor is worthless upon resale. The only possible reason I could understand for someone to purchase a $200 silencer is to hold them for the possibility that the government may ban the sale. Even then a $400 can is only 30% more than a $200 suppressor when the $200 tax is included.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I would advise that person to buy a good car for $400 instead of; a piece of crap that is noisy, is made out of crappy materials, one that is non-repairable, one that may not be repaired, and only costs $200 less. Like it or not a 100% tax on a crappy $200 suppressor means that the suppressor is worthless upon resale. The only possible reason I could understand for someone to purchase a $200 silencer is to hold them for the possibility that the government may ban the sale. Even then a $400 can is only 30% more than a $200 suppressor when the $200 tax is included.
I just don't agree with your logic. You make a false choice, that is that its all one thing or all the other. I don't see it that way, the TAC and YH are not made of inferior materials and do work well. A much better analogy would be buying a Cadillac VS a Toyota Corolla. The Caddy has a superior ride and many more bells and whistles, The Toyota give much more value for the money. Leather seats may be much nicer [at least in my opinion] but are they worth 25 thousand more than the cloth seats in the Toyota? Not at all. There seems to be no room for in-between in many minds here. I don't have to own a 15000 dollar rifle to get reasonable accuracy and have a lot of fun hunting with my Ruger 77. I can like enjoy the sound levels of the lower priced can and not put down the more expensive can. I can love the ride of a caddy and not have to own one and be very happy with my Corolla. At the end of the day I get 40 MPG with my corolla and at 4.15 a gallon and the 20k I saved over the Caddy I am very happy with the BP stocks I purchased that pay me nice dividends. I have talked to several people who love the YH mite. I would buy it in a heartbeat if it was one I found in stock at a fair price. Price is nothing to value something at anyway, I have seen the TAC 65 for 375 in my area, and the one I bought for 180 is new and it’s from a dealer who works out of his home and does not try to make the kids orthodontist payment on one sale.

As far as resale goes I am not saying to buy a suppressor or any hobby item except for collectables with resale as a goal. But if you look at what you are going to get back, I paid 180 for my suppressor that many pay 230 to 350 for. If I sold it for 100 I am out 80, I buy a 400 or 500 dollar suppressor and don't like it and sell if for what 300 I have lost 200. As an entry level suppressor for 180 that sells for 230 to 350 I don't think I am out all that much to see what it’s like to own a class three item. If I don't like it, and keep it I am out 380 all in, and if I don't like it and buy a top shelf one I am out 700. If I like it and want a better one or if I want to go with the next logical step get a good 5.56 can I can think about getting a top shelf can. Even then I have always been a value person and never bought things based on salesman’s BS. I have owned hundreds of guns over the years and I find that many times value is better than blind brand loyalty or going with the crowd.

I own both a Beretta and Taurus 92 and to tell you the truth the Taurus is a much better gun for a couple of reasons, I love the frame mounted safety and its about 200 less in price and does everything the Beretta does and more. The Charter arms 38 is just as good as any Smith and Wesson I own for half the price. I have 4 AR15s,3 that I built and the builds are every bit as good as the Colt I own. The Colt name makes it worth about 1100 and my last M4 build with left hand Stag upper is as good as any, and I am all in at 750. I own a Glock 19[good gun] but my Ruger SR9 is better, in that it does not feel like I am shaking hands with a 2x4 and is SS and 30% slimmer. I had a Smith Sigma and sold it because I wanted a gun [sr9] with a left hand mag rel. I read report after report on how the Sigma was one big POS, mostly by people who never owned or shot the gun. They knew nothing fo the Sigma and yes the trigger was stiff, but I reduced this by taking out two springs and replacing one with a weaker spring and made the trigger about 80% lighter. I also polished the sear up and it was fine and I was all in at 275 new with the 50% smith rebate. It shot excellent and never had a FTF or FTE, but if you listened to the nay sayers you would think it was less than a 2 pound frozen steak for shooting. I am amazed at the BS on the internet, every one has an opinion on things they have never owned or used. LOL
DOGON