I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Re: I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:I paid 180 for my suppressor that many pay 230 to 350 for. If I sold it for 100 I am out 80, I buy a 400 or 500 dollar suppressor and don't like it and sell if for what 300 I have lost 200. As an entry level suppressor for 180 that sells for 230 to 350 I don't think I am out all that much to see what it’s like to own a class three item. If I don't like it, and keep it I am out 380 all in, and if I don't like it and buy a top shelf one I am out 700.
If you paid $180 for a suppressor and sell it for $80 you are out $300. If you buy a $400 suppressor and sell it for $300 you are out $300. The problem is you're not going to sell a silencer for more than what someone can get it for new. A used $180 suppressor won't sell for $80 because the FFl is going to charge the purchaser $50-100 to do the transfer on that used silencer. So that $80 is now $130 or $180. That purchaser could have purchased the silencer new from the dealer for $180.

A good quality .22lr suppressor is only $400-500, plus the tax. It makes no sense to go 1/2 way on a purchase where the tax is a flat $200 no matter if the suppressor is $200 or $400.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

[/quote]

If you paid $180 for a suppressor and sell it for $80 you are out $300. If you buy a $400 suppressor and sell it for $300 you are out $300. The problem is you're not going to sell a silencer for more than what someone can get it for new. A used $180 suppressor won't sell for $80 because the FFl is going to charge the purchaser $50-100 to do the transfer on that used silencer. So that $80 is now $130 or $180. That purchaser could have purchased the silencer new from the dealer for $180.

A good quality .22lr suppressor is only $400-500, plus the tax. It makes no sense to go 1/2 way on a purchase where the tax is a flat $200 no matter if the suppressor is $200 or $400.[/quote]
The only thing I don't agree with is that the 180 I paid is about 50 to 120 lower than they usually go for. So out of the gate I got a good deal that many do not find. So getting 80 for the suppressor and the 50 added transfer I could get with out too much trouble a loss of only 300, the suppressor that costs say 450 I may get say 250 for and 200 for the stamp a loss of 400, The other thing is that I would not even try to sell it for 80 I would keep it because it has value and does do a reasonable job with suppression. Many here try to say that the inexpensive suppressors make it louder than with nothing. LOL.
DOGON
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

You guys are funny.
I`ll never sell my cans unless I get 100 percent back, or a good trade.
Either way, I`ll have some cool silencers and a stamp collection!
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

SRM wrote:You guys are funny.
I`ll never sell my cans unless I get 100 percent back, or a good trade.
Either way, I`ll have some cool silencers and a stamp collection!
At 180 I do not plan to sell my can either. BTW what do the stamps look like? Are they like a title to a car or just some BS paper work?
DOGON
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

They look like a stamp. Because they are a stamp.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
blacklabelop
Silent Operator

Post by blacklabelop »

I like my SS mite.. it was the perfect starter can for me.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

edteach wrote:. A much better analogy would be buying a Cadillac VS a Toyota Corolla.
I think you have chosen the wrong cars to compare. A better choice would be a Yugo and a new Honda Accord.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Capbyrd

Post by Capbyrd »

kwikrnu wrote: A used $180 suppressor won't sell for $80 because the FFl is going to charge the purchaser $50-100 to do the transfer on that used silencer. So that $80 is now $130 or $180. That purchaser could have purchased the silencer new from the dealer for $180.
Or you can just do an individual transfer and not pay FFL fees. Then, the 80 dollar silencer makes a little more sense.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

mpallett wrote:
edteach wrote:. A much better analogy would be buying a Cadillac VS a Toyota Corolla.
I think you have chosen the wrong cars to compare. A better choice would be a Yugo and a new Honda Accord.
OK so I would be correct in thinking you don't like the entry level cans? LOL
DOGON
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

[quote="kwikrnu ---I would advise that person to buy a good car for $400 instead of; a piece of crap that is noisy, is made out of crappy materials, one that is non-repairable, one that may not be repaired, and only costs $200 less. Like it or not a 100% tax on a crappy $200 suppressor means that the suppressor is worthless upon resale. The only possible reason I could understand for someone to purchase a $200 silencer is to hold them for the possibility that the government may ban the sale. Even then a $400 can is only 30% more than a $200 suppressor when the $200 tax is included.[/quote]

You Just Can't Stop, Can You ?

:roll:

WYOGUY
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

wyoguy wrote:You Just Can't Stop, Can You ?

WYOGUY
Anyone who buys a cheap $200 aluminum throw away suppressor is wasting their money. There are too many better choices available for $400. After the tax it is only 50% more expensive to have a more durable, quieter, easier to clean, less problems with cleaning like screwing up the threads/serialized portion of the silencer.
ronin111
Silent But Deadly

Post by ronin111 »

kwikrnu wrote: Anyone who buys a cheap $200 aluminum throw away suppressor is wasting their money. There are too many better choices available for $400. After the tax it is only 50% more expensive to have a more durable, quieter, easier to clean, less problems with cleaning like screwing up the threads/serialized portion of the silencer.
Some people just have to learn the hard way.
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

kwikrnu wrote:
wyoguy wrote:You Just Can't Stop, Can You ?

WYOGUY
Anyone who buys a cheap $200 aluminum throw away suppressor is wasting their money. There are too many better choices available for $400. After the tax it is only 50% more expensive to have a more durable, quieter, easier to clean, less problems with cleaning like screwing up the threads/serialized portion of the silencer.
Which Responded To My Question To You Based Upon Your Above Post With The Relevant Portion Hi-Lited In Red Exactly HOW ???

WYOGUY
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

wyoguy wrote:Which Responded To My Question To You Based Upon Your Above Post With The Relevant Portion Hi-Lited In Red Exactly HOW ???

WYOGUY
You want me to respond?

If I knew a ban on manufacturing was certain and had $100,000 to invest then I would buy 250 $200 silencers over 167 $400 silencers. Knowing they would not be used and kept in the family. The cheap $200 cans could be sold to those looking for "entry level" crap and the return would be higher.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

ronin111 wrote:
kwikrnu wrote: Anyone who buys a cheap $200 aluminum throw away suppressor is wasting their money. There are too many better choices available for $400. After the tax it is only 50% more expensive to have a more durable, quieter, easier to clean, less problems with cleaning like screwing up the threads/serialized portion of the silencer.
Some people just have to learn the hard way.

No s--t.. Ask for advise then not take it. :roll:

A .22 silencer will be the most used silencer you will own. It will have a higher round count than any other silencer. I shot more .22 this am (and I am at work) than my .45 silencer or 9 mm has seen in a month.

A .22 silencer is NOT the place to scrimp because you will just get the correct better silencer later.. Then you WASTED the $200 on the POS cheap can. + the cost of the POS that you will NEVER sell. It will just collect dust and remind you of the bad decision you made.

Get a GOOD can and don't have buyers remorse. I just got a SS Sparrow and realized I really STILL need a Liberty Essence or Kodiak-TL (not that I regret getting the Sparrow)

Again "I should've got a Kodiak" <~~~~~~ Bumper sticker

Get a GOOD 40-41 dB reduction silencer

Essence = Mmmmmmmmmm the best of the best maybe?
Kodiak-TL = Multi cal, excellent dB #s, low blowback easy cleaning
Element = Specter "lite" (in a good way) with excellent #s
Specter = The benchmark all others are compared to and may still not beat.
SS Sparrow = ease of disassembly, good performance, multi cal rated, & accurate .. just for starters.
The latest core Prodigy= VERY light and simple with good dB #s a work of art in it's own way.

The 2 things I would NEVER get in a .22 silencer

1) aluminum mounting threads.
2) not user serviceable

I would not waste the $200 tax on a T-65

IF I am going to have to pay $200 for the privilege to own a silencer it better be one I won't wish I never got or to just sit in my safe.. I don't know if you could GIVE it away as the buyer will have to pay the $200 + transfer dealer cost. NO WAY will I pay $250 or $300 for a used TI-65 (free silencer and the fees) let alone a NEW one for $180 more.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

kwikrnu wrote:
wyoguy wrote:Which Responded To My Question To You Based Upon Your Above Post With The Relevant Portion Hi-Lited In Red Exactly HOW ???

WYOGUY
You want me to respond?

If I knew a ban on manufacturing was certain and had $100,000 to invest then I would buy 250 $200 silencers over 167 $400 silencers. Knowing they would not be used and kept in the family. The cheap $200 cans could be sold to those looking for "entry level" crap and the return would be higher.
And you believe that with Your 'CURIO & RELIC' FFL License...
:lol:
You Could Sell Off Those 250 Silencers Purchased By You For "Personal Use" Only, One At A Time, Without Any Exposure To Existing Federal Firearms Laws?
Hmm...
I Guess You Never Stop Scheming, er, Dreaming...Do You?

WYOGUY
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

To the OP: With minimal tooling, and a little research on the Silencer DIY Forum, you could probably build a form 1 22 can in your garage,that would be quieter than the Mite. Just use Stainless steel so you could use "The Dip."
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

JohnInNH wrote:No s--t.. Ask for advise then not take it. :roll:
Seriously. Every single post advised ponying up for a better can, not only did he not take it, he argued against the advice he solicited.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Abiqua wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:No s--t.. Ask for advise then not take it. :roll:
Seriously. Every single post advised ponying up for a better can, not only did he not take it, he argued against the advice he solicited.
That's typical! Keep that in mind when he starts asking other questions...it will be a waste of time.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

wyoguy wrote:And you believe that with Your 'CURIO & RELIC' FFL License...
You Could Sell Off Those 250 Silencers Purchased By You For "Personal Use" Only, One At A Time, Without Any Exposure To Existing Federal Firearms Laws?
Hmm...

WYOGUY
Who said I wouldn't pay the sot and be a 01ffl? Who is to say that one of the trustees isn't an 01 ffl? FFL's are handed out like candy. All you have to do is pass the inspection, pay the fees, zoned properly, and be licensed with the city and state to do business.
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

kwikrnu wrote:
wyoguy wrote:And you believe that with Your 'CURIO & RELIC' FFL License...
Hmm...

WYOGUY
Who said I wouldn't pay the sot and be a 01ffl? Who is to say that one of the trustees isn't an 01 ffl? FFL's are handed out like candy. All you have to do is pass the inspection, pay the fees, zoned properly, and be licensed with the city and state to do business.
Sigmund Freud Could Have Written A Whole Book Just About You...

WYOGUY
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

The idea that these are throw away cans is stupid and wrong headed. The cans will last a life time if taken care of. The whole thing boils down to how much do they reduce sound. If next month there is a new design that reduces the sound down below your coveted sparrow I will be the first to post get ride of the POS can its garbage and out dated. You have a throw away can and you are not with the IN crowd because you do not smoke the same cigarettes as me. LOL the idea also that one asks for opinions and then acts after thinking it through and it does not match the opinions of some as not taking advice, where does it say the suppressor manual that if you ask for advice and do not take it you should not have asked for it? I asked opinions and wanted opinions, but what I got was more rants based on nothing but what many pull out of their ass. Not saying there is not a point to be made about one being quieter than the other, but when you start ranting about one being a throw away that is pure Bull sh it. The shooting community is the worst for shooting itself in its own foot with the my dick is bigger and better than your dick attitudes. The Glock people are some of the worst, it its not a Glock its a POS. LOL small minded people who can only see on side of the coin. I can understand that one suppressor that costs double may give 10% better sound reduction, but some here do not seem to be able to comprehend the law of diminishing returns. So if a company invents a can that gives 5% better sound reduction and costs 1500 is it worth throwing out the old POS sparrow or Kodiak? according to some I guess it would be. LOL
DOGON
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:The idea that these are throw away cans is stupid and wrong headed. The cans will last a life time if taken care of. The whole thing boils down to how much do they reduce sound. If next month there is a new design that reduces the sound down below your coveted sparrow I will be the first to post get ride of the POS can its garbage and out dated. You have a throw away can and you are not with the IN crowd because you do not smoke the same cigarettes as me. LOL the idea also that one asks for opinions and then acts after thinking it through and it does not match the opinions of some as not taking advice, where does it say the suppressor manual that if you ask for advice and do not take it you should not have asked for it? I asked opinions and wanted opinions, but what I got was more rants based on nothing but what many pull out of their ass. Not saying there is not a point to be made about one being quieter than the other, but when you start ranting about one being a throw away that is pure Bull sh it. The shooting community is the worst for shooting itself in its own foot with the my dick is bigger and better than your dick attitudes. The Glock people are some of the worst, it its not a Glock its a POS. LOL small minded people who can only see on side of the coin. I can understand that one suppressor that costs double may give 10% better sound reduction, but some here do not seem to be able to comprehend the law of diminishing returns. So if a company invents a can that gives 5% better sound reduction and costs 1500 is it worth throwing out the old POS sparrow or Kodiak? according to some I guess it would be. LOL

We're talking about $200 v $400/$500 silencers. A $400 silencer costs 50% more than a throw away $200 silencer, after the tax is factored in. No one knows what the future will bring, but today it makes no sense to buy a cheap, POS, loud, difficult to take apart, threaded tube, silencer. Take your pick of any number of better silencers in the $400/$500 range. There is no such thing as an entry level silencer. You will buy it and keep it for life because at $400/$500 plus the tax, selling is a losing proposition. You don't learn anything from buying a cheap silencer other than, I should have bought a better one.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

kwikrnu wrote:
edteach wrote:The idea that these are throw away cans is stupid and wrong headed. The cans will last a life time if taken care of. The whole thing boils down to how much do they reduce sound. If next month there is a new design that reduces the sound down below your coveted sparrow I will be the first to post get ride of the POS can its garbage and out dated. You have a throw away can and you are not with the IN crowd because you do not smoke the same cigarettes as me. LOL the idea also that one asks for opinions and then acts after thinking it through and it does not match the opinions of some as not taking advice, where does it say the suppressor manual that if you ask for advice and do not take it you should not have asked for it? I asked opinions and wanted opinions, but what I got was more rants based on nothing but what many pull out of their ass. Not saying there is not a point to be made about one being quieter than the other, but when you start ranting about one being a throw away that is pure Bull sh it. The shooting community is the worst for shooting itself in its own foot with the my dick is bigger and better than your dick attitudes. The Glock people are some of the worst, it its not a Glock its a POS. LOL small minded people who can only see on side of the coin. I can understand that one suppressor that costs double may give 10% better sound reduction, but some here do not seem to be able to comprehend the law of diminishing returns. So if a company invents a can that gives 5% better sound reduction and costs 1500 is it worth throwing out the old POS sparrow or Kodiak? according to some I guess it would be. LOL

We're talking about $200 v $400/$500 silencers. A $400 silencer costs 50% more than a throw away $200 silencer, after the tax is factored in. No one knows what the future will bring, but today it makes no sense to buy a cheap, POS, loud, difficult to take apart, threaded tube, silencer. Take your pick of any number of better silencers in the $400/$500 range. There is no such thing as an entry level silencer. You will buy it and keep it for life because at $400/$500 plus the tax, selling is a losing proposition. You don't learn anything from buying a cheap silencer other than, I should have bought a better one.
You stick to a talking point like a republican to tax breaks for the rich. How much is too much for more db reduction? If you you pay 500 for a suppressor and get 45 db in reduction you pay 11.11 per db reduced. If you pay 180 and get 39 db in reduction you pay 4.61 per db in reduction. So if you can get 55 db in reduction but it costs 1000 is that a great can? At 18.19 per db in reduction? Where does the line end for you or do you just throw out platitudes? The statement about not being able to take the less expensive cans apart is wrong, and btw have you ever even owned or shot these cans you trash talk? I doubt you have, but feel free to trash them anyway. What if you could get a can that reduced the db to 0 but cost 5000 is that worth it to you? And the person who would still buy a sparrow that reduced the db by 45 would you then call a fool because they would spend only 500 on a can when they could get 0 dbs for 5000? your reasoning is non sequitor.
DOGON
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote: If you you pay 500 for a suppressor and get 45 db in reduction you pay 11.11 per db reduced. If you pay 180 and get 39 db in reduction you pay 4.61 per db in reduction.
No, you forgot the price of the tax.
If I pay $400 for a suppressor that gets 45db reduction I pay $13.33/db. If I pay $200 for a suppressor that gets 39 db reduction I pay $10.26/db.

edteach wrote:The statement about not being able to take the less expensive cans apart is wrong, and btw have you ever even owned or shot these cans you trash talk? I doubt you have, but feel free to trash them anyway.
Why would someone buy a silencer with a threaded tube? I don't have to own a POS to know it's a POS.