I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

garandman
Silent But Deadly

Re: I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help

Post by garandman »

More YHM MIte hate.

Granted, I paid the equivalent of $80 for mine brand new (traded some ammo at the height of the ammo crunch that I had bought years earlier for $80)

But the Mite does a decent job suppressing, and if you know how to take care of it, its simple and easy to use. I clean mine every 500 rounds or so, after 5 or 6 separate shooting sessions.

It comes apart easily and cleans up to like new.

YES, there are better cans out there, but it seems unnecessary to me to pay $400-500 for a 22 can.

Its like this - you can get a steel road bike for $500 (28 lbs) or an alum for $1500 (18lbs) or carbon for $3,000 - 6,000 (15 lbs) If those 3 lbs are worth $1500 - 4,500 to you, bless you my friend. I'll take savings of the 18 lb bike and buy lotsa other goodies with it.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

garandman wrote:More YHM MIte hate.

Granted, I paid the equivalent of $80 for mine brand new (traded some ammo at the height of the ammo crunch that I had bought years earlier for $80)

But the Mite does a decent job suppressing, and if you know how to take care of it, its simple and easy to use. I clean mine every 500 rounds or so, after 5 or 6 separate shooting sessions.

It comes apart easily and cleans up to like new.

YES, there are better cans out there, but it seems unnecessary to me to pay $400-500 for a 22 can.

Its like this - you can get a steel road bike for $500 (28 lbs) or an alum for $1500 (18lbs) or carbon for $3,000 - 6,000 (15 lbs) If those 3 lbs are worth $1500 - 4,500 to you, bless you my friend. I'll take savings of the 18 lb bike and buy lotsa other goodies with it.
that's exactly how I feel about my can. I know others may feel differently and I say more power to them if thats what they want. But for me this works at a price that does not give me buyers remorse. I just picked up a S&W M&P new in the box with three mags for 400 and feel this is a better way for me to invest money. I can sell that gun and make money on it if I decide to sell. Cans are not something people sell because of the hassle. So for a 22 inexpensive can [I wish I could have traded for 80$ good deal to you] the TAC 65 will work fine for what I need[just to experiment with suppressors as to how they work ect.] I did not buy blind, I shot the can and it preformed well enough that I am happy with it. Now if I lived like Danial Day Lewis in there will be blood and used my hall way as a shooting gallery I would want a very very quiet can. Thanks again for the opinions and debate.
DOGON
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

You didn't pay $80 for the silencer, you paid whatever the going price for the ammo was at the time of the sale/trade.

If someone bought a $2500 camaro back in the day, sold it for $20,000 today, and with the entire proceeds bought a m16 machinegun that machinegun did not cost $2500. The price paid for the machine gun was $20,000.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

kwikrnu wrote:

You didn't pay $80 for the silencer, you paid whatever the going price for the ammo was at the time of the sale/trade.

If someone bought a $2500 camaro back in the day, sold it for $20,000 today, and with the entire proceeds bought a m16 machinegun that machinegun did not cost $2500. The price paid for the machine gun was $20,000.
I don't agree. Ammo is going down and he may not have sold if not to finance the can. So you would be then obliged to say that he paid what ever the current rate is for ammo. I use what is out of pocket not what I could have made or would have made. I have X invested not what X could be at anyone time. It may be a glass is half empty vs half full thinking, but by the above posters way one would have to go through your entire collection and get a current value of that day to say how much you had invested. To me I have invested what money I put into it to buy it in the first place, that did not come from a swap. I buy a gun and sell a gun to pay for it is no different than if I swapped outright gun for gun. I have into it what I initially paid. GREAT BUY on the YHM. I was allowd to shoot one at the range and it was fine. All I could hear was the action and the ting when the bullet hit the back stop.
DOGON
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:I don't agree.

You don't have to agree, but you're still wrong. If I invest $1, get a return of $100,001, and later buy a house for $100,001 I didn't get the house for $1. I paid $100,001 for the house.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

On the 9mm in your future, try to hear as many as you can side-by-side, and on different hosts. Actually, go to nfatalk.com... register... then look in their "reviews" section to see how the current 9mm offerings compare on a sound meter.

Its important to keep in mind that decibels aren't linear, so 5 decibels quieter is very significant. Of course, that isn't true on the absolute bottom of the spectrum either... as 1 decibel should be inaudible a few feet away, and so should 6 decibels. But on the upper end... 160 decibels compared to 150.... that's significant.

Also, 9mm hosts are often different compared to .22, because their actions often require the barrel to move. In a GLOCK, for example, a 9mm silencer needs to have a booster. Of course the best 9mm cans do have that booster, and they do function correctly. But beware of the least expensive 9mm cans; they'll be louder - yes - but they'll also prevent your gun from cycling correctly and can even cause damage to the frame as a result. You'll basically have to rack the slide between shots.

Who knows what will be available when you finally pull the trigger on a 9mm suppressor, so its too early to say "oh, this one is best". However, I suspect that 9mm cans get discussed the most second only to .22 suppressors, so the information is certainly there.

Also, you might consider a subscription to John T's website, where he charges around $20 or $30 dollars to see his cans carefully metered and tested. It seems expensive, but it'd be shame to buy the silencer and realize that the $30 could have saved you a lot of grief.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

kwikrnu wrote:
edteach wrote:I don't agree.

You don't have to agree, but you're still wrong. If I invest $1, get a return of $100,001, and later buy a house for $100,001 I didn't get the house for $1. I paid $100,001 for the house.
Nope, you have 1 dollar invested. The rest is capitol gains. Just because you trade homes weather that is by trading home for home, or doing a cash swap in between you have a dollar invested. If not then you would have to do a check on what the value of said item is at any given minute and say that is how much you have invested, and that would be crazy. If you trade a paper clip for a book and so on and end up with a home you have a home and invested a paper clip not the last value of the trade.

I will do that on the 9mm can if I decied that its something I want to go with. I have been reading on how long the stamp takes and it seems that my dealer and 6 weeks is on the optomistic side. I think he is going of his last couple of stamps. Seems like the avg is about two to three months. No hurry but sooner is better.
DOGON
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

kwikrnu wrote:[You didn't pay $80 for the silencer, you paid whatever the going price for the ammo was at the time of the sale/trade.

Seriously? THIS is the point you wanted to make?
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

edteach -

The other aspect of Mite hate is what you see here - they gotta justify spending TWICE as much on a can that is only very slighty quieter to the ear than a Mite.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

garandman wrote:edteach -

The other aspect of Mite hate is what you see here - they gotta justify spending TWICE as much on a can that is only very slighty quieter to the ear than a Mite.
Last I checked a mite is around $400. Much better options only cost $600.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

kwikrnu wrote: Last I checked a mite is around $400. Much better options only cost $600.
The AAC Pilot 2 that you can take apart is $350 and the Pilot is a great silencer.

As for the TAC-65. I've shot it next to the original core prodigy and my sealed pilot. It wasn't too bad really. I thought it would REALLY suck, but it didn't. Not much different that the prodigy (though the original core was not impressive) at the time. Not great, but not "why bother", at least with subsonic ammo. IIRC we shot it on a P22 or Ruger Mk2. I'm sure you will be happy with your choice. I would have chose a more quiet silencer for my money, but I'm sure I have different goals.

Of course, today, I'm disappointed by most 22 silencers. I have shot a TBA integral CZ 452 bolt action .22lr. Simply the most quiet thing I've ever heard and without a doubt has ruined all other silencers for me :)
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

kwikrnu wrote:

Last I checked a mite is around $400. Much better options only cost $600.
Even at the over priced places around here, they are only 280, I have not seen anyone asking 400. Sounds like a ripoff.
DOGON
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Or on other side of coins, justify buying yogo of cans and bad hearings! :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:Even at the over priced places around here, they are only 280, I have not seen anyone asking 400. Sounds like a ripoff.
The $200 tax is a ripoff, but must be included in the price when comparing. It cannot be said that a $400 is twice as much as a $200 silencer because there is a mandatory tax of $200 on either one. The $200 silencer is not half as much, it is 33% less than a $400 silencer after the tax.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

kwikrnu wrote:
edteach wrote:Even at the over priced places around here, they are only 280, I have not seen anyone asking 400. Sounds like a ripoff.
The $200 tax is a ripoff, but must be included in the price when comparing. It cannot be said that a $400 is twice as much as a $200 silencer because there is a mandatory tax of $200 on either one. The $200 silencer is not half as much, it is 33% less than a $400 silencer after the tax.
The cans you are recommending are not 400 around here, I can not find any of the recommended ones for less than 560. so its not 600 vs 400 its 760 to 800 vs 400. It is about double. And the dealers that would do a transfer want min. 100 to do a transfer. So if I find one for 450 I can add several weeks and 100 to the price. My check for NFA just cashed. I called and they said they are running about 7 to 8 weeks right now from the time the check is cashed. So the clock has started. I am not sure I will buy another can, but a SBR may be in the future.

A legal question, If a person buys a stamp for a SBR and has a long barrel for it also, once that receiver is registered as a SBR can it legally have the long barrel put on back and forth?
DOGON
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

edteach wrote: A legal question, If a person buys a stamp for a SBR and has a long barrel for it also, once that receiver is registered as a SBR can it legally have the long barrel put on back and forth?
Yes, you can swap barrels of any length once stamped properly. It does not have to be in it's original SBR length at all.
The ATF requests notification of permanent changes (caliber, length, whatever). Those requests can take years to acknowledge and there is no law requiring it.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

chrismartin wrote:
edteach wrote: A legal question, If a person buys a stamp for a SBR and has a long barrel for it also, once that receiver is registered as a SBR can it legally have the long barrel put on back and forth?
Yes, you can swap barrels of any length once stamped properly. It does not have to be in it's original SBR length at all.
The ATF requests notification of permanent changes (caliber, length, whatever). Those requests can take years to acknowledge and there is no law requiring it.
Thanks, So I could register one of my current AR receivers as a SBR? And would it then be legal to purchase a SB and just do the modification myself?
DOGON
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

edteach wrote: Thanks, So I could register one of my current AR receivers as a SBR? And would it then be legal to purchase a SB and just do the modification myself?
Absolutely. You would use a "Form 1"

1. Get your current AR15 (in stripped receiver or complete long arm state, whatever) engraved with your info (Name, city, state)
2. Fill out a couple of Form 1'
3. SEnd the Form 1's, all supporting documentation (Trust, check, etc) to the ATF
4. Once it is stamped and returned to you, buy a short barrel upper and make the "new" SBR
5. At that point, you can swap short, long, difference calibers, etc. uppers on that AR all day long
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

edteach wrote:[Even at the over priced places around here, they are only 280, I have not seen anyone asking 400. Sounds like a ripoff.

Sounds like a crock of bull to justify spending $400 - 600 on a non-MIte can that sounds only the tiniest bit better to the human ear. (Sound meters are irrelevant to me, as no one has a sound meter built into their head)
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

garandman wrote:
edteach wrote:[Even at the over priced places around here, they are only 280, I have not seen anyone asking 400. Sounds like a ripoff.

Sounds like a crock of bull to justify spending $400 - 600 on a non-MIte can that sounds only the tiniest bit better to the human ear. (Sound meters are irrelevant to me, as no one has a sound meter built into their head)
Not sure what you mean, but I agree with your point. I have listened to a couple of different cans, Mite, TAC and AAC and the difference is not that much to my ear. at 380 all in for my can I don't feel cheated at all. I have read negative by many people but they do not own these cans. I have read many positive posts by people who love the Mite and TAC. Some will say they do not have to own a POS to know its a POS but thats BS. You can not do a review of anything unless you have experience with using it. If you do otherwise is just clap trap. TAC and YH have life time warranties, and the turn around time for YH is a week. The cans I was recommended would have cost me double. For what I will be using these for I would not get double out of the more expensive can and since most here agree that cans are impossible to resell the argument that I can get more out of it goes down the drain. I think there are categories where each can may fit, If I do not need to haul a trailer or tools I do not need a truck, and If I do not camp I do not need a motor home. And even if I did I see nothing wrong with getting a more inexpensive Motor home instead of one with Ceramic tile and oak hard wood and gold plated fixtures. Not that there is anything wrong with it but there is nothing wrong with not buying the cutting edge possibly over priced thing on the shelf.
DOGON
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

The dude saying the Mite costs $400 is a crock of bull to justify himself overpaying.

MSRP on Yankee Hills website is $283 http://www.yhm.net/store/22Mite.html NO ONE with a brain pays MSRP. Round here, they run $240 in the shops. So dude saying they run $400 just destroyed his own credibility.
He has an agenda that the facts don't support.

My point ( as it seems yours is) is that YES there are most definitely better cans than the Mite. But to me, the extra $150 - 300 is not something I'm willing to pay the get the tiniest bit better sound suppression.

I buy my cans for my neighbors benefit - so I can shoot without bothering them. When I use the Mite, the ONLY thing they hear is the bullet hitting steel.

I'll take my $150-300 saved and buy ammo, or another tax stamp.

Why they gotta try to say that's a stupid choice is simply baffling (pun intended)

:)
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

My other cans are:

AAC M4-2K
SWR Trident 9
Ops Inc 12th Model

So I've NO objection to paying to get some of the very best. Its just sometimes... good enuf (the Mite) really is good enuf.
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

garandman wrote:The dude saying the Mite costs $400 is a crock of bull to justify himself overpaying.
The cost of the silencer must include the tax. $200 + $200 = $400. It was stated that a mite costs 1/2 as much as a $400 silencer, but that is not the case. A $400 silencer costs $600 with the tax. One could pay 33% less for a pos, but you'd still have a pos.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

kwikrnu wrote:
garandman wrote:The dude saying the Mite costs $400 is a crock of bull to justify himself overpaying.
The cost of the silencer must include the tax. $200 + $200 = $400. It was stated that a mite costs 1/2 as much as a $400 silencer, but that is not the case. A $400 silencer costs $600 with the tax. One could pay 33% less for a pos, but you'd still have a pos.
The tax stamp is not the cost of the can. I have seen no can that was said to be on the so called list for 400 but in the 550 range and up. So you add the 200 and discount the high end can. Difference for me is 400with tax stamp vs 750-800 with tax stamp. My can at 380 all in is half the cost of your recomended can. Or its 100% more than my can. You can switch the numbers all day and in the end for me its an extra 420 to get the upscale can.
DOGON
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

kwikrnu wrote:
I think you explain that already. :D

Sound like they getting ripped off on good cans where they live. A $100 transfer fee? Do these peoples wear masks? :cry:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!