I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help.

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Re: I may be backing out of the YHM Mite purchase. Need help

Post by JohnInNH »

My Sot has a mite. I have shot it many times.. It is louder and can be very hard to take apart.. (he keeps trying to sell it to me)

It depends on what you want in a can.. If it's just to make it hearing safe and not prevent people from knowing you are shooting it;s fine.. It is comfortable when shooting but people down the street will know you are discharging a firearm.

I wand it to disguise my .22 so it is not apparent I am shooting. I would NEVER shoot my 9mm at night in my yard as people would know and MAY call the police.

If there is enough ambient noise lawn mowers + construction it is easier to get away with it. 124-125Db with my Mystic is about the limit. I do not want to shoot much .45 as it will attract attention. I will shoot a mag or 2 and wet helps a lot.

So my requirement is beyond what a Mite can deliver. A Tac-65 will. I just don't want to deal with its design limitations.

I just ordered another .22 and hope that's the last. If the Essence was the 1st silencer I got IT would have saved me $800. I would not buy a Prodigy if I had an Essence as the Essence does all the Prodigy does and more. (not that the new Prodigy is bad!)

I still may have gotten a SS Sparrow as it has a different feature set, and will be a SUPER silencer for heavy full auto fire + heavier powered stuff like a .22 Hornet.

So the overlap is now the Essence/Prodigy.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

edteach wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
garandman wrote:The dude saying the Mite costs $400 is a crock of bull to justify himself overpaying.
The cost of the silencer must include the tax. $200 + $200 = $400. It was stated that a mite costs 1/2 as much as a $400 silencer, but that is not the case. A $400 silencer costs $600 with the tax. One could pay 33% less for a pos, but you'd still have a pos.
The tax stamp is not the cost of the can. I have seen no can that was said to be on the so called list for 400 but in the 550 range and up. So you add the 200 and discount the high end can. Difference for me is 400with tax stamp vs 750-800 with tax stamp. My can at 380 all in is half the cost of your recomended can. Or its 100% more than my can. You can switch the numbers all day and in the end for me its an extra 420 to get the upscale can.

I paid $399 for my stainless steel silencerco sparrow. Shipping cost $19. Dealer charged $50 transfer fee. Government charged $200 tax. Total $668

A mite would have cost $199, $19 shipping, $50 transfer, and a $200 tax. Total $468.

The mite is only 30% less than the sparrow, and the same goes for all similar priced silencers. It makes no sense to buy a mite, unless you absolutely can't come up with the $200. The tax must be added into the cost of the silencer unless you're a dealer.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

JohnInNH wrote:My Sot has a mite. I have shot it many times.. It is louder and can be very hard to take apart.. (he keeps trying to sell it to me)

The Mite is not hard to take apart if you know what you are doing. If you don't know what you are doing, its like anything else. You can make life harder on yourself than it needs to be. Mine easily threads apart with nothing more than the YHM takedown tool. Easier than opening a new soda bottle. Every single time. And I only clean it about once every 5 or 6 uses.
I wand it to disguise my .22 so it is not apparent I am shooting. So my requirement is beyond what a Mite can deliver. .

I have the same requirement, and the Mite easily meets it. It might depend how far away you neighbors house is. Mine is about 2-300 feet, and the Mite completely disguises the sound. If I don't shoot steel, there is no possible way they'd know I'm shooting.

If your houses are closer, you might need a quieter can.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

rogerdemin wrote:
garandman wrote:
If your houses are closer, you might need a quieter can.
Or a house further away form others?

Absolutely! :) I paid extra for my house, so I could pay less for my Mite. :lol:
wyoguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by wyoguy »

After SEVEN Pages here...

My Conclusion Is:

The Thread Should Be Re-Titled...

"Over-Thinking"...

8)

WYOGUY
85% of all statistics are made up...and the other 30% are wrong!
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

wyoguy wrote:After SEVEN Pages here...

My Conclusion Is:

The Thread Should Be Re-Titled...

"Over-Thinking"...

The Mite hate is strong in this forum.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

quote]Or a house further away form others?[/quote]

Absolutely! :) I paid extra for my house, so I could pay less for my Mite. :lol:[/quote]
ac
I bought my home so that I could shoot any time of day or night in peace. That was the number one requirement.[/quote]
I did that. I have 80 acres in North Michigan. I still lost my CCW several years ago [have it back now] for shooting a neighbors dog that was attacking my dog on my property in front of my home. Nickey Castigne was the PA at the time and was a animal rights nut. Under Michigan law if the dog was attacking my cow, horse, duck, chicken, ect I could have shot the dog, my dog was not considered farm chattel. I used a CB and 10/22 and did not even aim and hit the damn thing in the spine and it yellped like it was being scalded.

Like a fool I admitted just what happened and the police did not even take my gun, they just made a report. Cost me 1500 in lawyers and court cost. I was going to fight it to the death but the neighbor and I had a shared drive and I had a contract to plow which I had put a lien on her home for not paying me [after the dog thing] The PA said if I did not plea to the misdemeanor that I would be hit with a felony of false lein, even though I had a contract with the neighbors signature accepting that I would put a lein on her property if there was failure to pay for dive maintenance.

The PA said that I would beat it but did I want to pay another 2000 dollars and spend another few months going to court? It sucked but thats when I learned the three Ses Shoot, shovel and shut the F--k up.

My can is not because of this situation, I do not intend to shoot an animal that is another persons pet. If it was an emergency I doubt I could get to the equipment in time anyway.
My point was that I had a shooting range on my property and it was cool, but for me and I stress for ME now, I have moved on from feeling like living in the middle of 80 acres where I can piss out my back porch and if I see anyone they are trespassing has passed. Now I live near family in a small city just outside a city of 500,000 population. I am not looking at moving to Florida maybe back to Little Rock where I lived for a few years and loved it. But the palm trees they are calling my name and I do love the warm weather. I would like to live in a town like I lived in Florida back in the 80s, Arcadia Florida, where there was an open air gun range you could go shoot any time night or day as long as you were a member.
DOGON