Jailbreak Groupbuy!!!! 215 returned!

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Jailbreak Groupbuy!!!! 215 returned!

Post by Bendersquint »

garandman wrote:WooHoo!!! Nice work. Sounds like the Tridents needed the most work.
Questions -
Whatta ya make of the Type 2 anodizing? Is that a good or a bad thing?
When you mail them back -
Do you notify the owner so they can be looking? Do you send them signature required? What carrier?
I don't have a problem with Type2 anodizing, our Al baffles will be Type2 anodized, just a thinner anodizing compared to Type3. Still far better than non-anodized baffles just not "MIL-SPEC" regardless that noone would ever know the difference if they were black. I have yet to meet anyone that shot as much(or as hard) through their cans as the military, 99% of owners won't see the benefit of T3 in my opinion, though I was wrong once.

When the cans ship out the owner will receive an email with tracking information, signature required of course!

-B
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Bandit wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: Trident ending in 14.....kinda surprised me that its Type2 anodizing!!!!!

-B
Ouch..........SWR advertises the finish is----Type III Hardcoat Anodized
Do they have some false advertising going on ?
How can you tell ?
Inquiring minds need to know.

There were a few of the early batches that had Type II on the baffles. They are all done Type III now and have been for a long time.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mpallett wrote:
Bandit wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: Trident ending in 14.....kinda surprised me that its Type2 anodizing!!!!!

-B
Ouch..........SWR advertises the finish is----Type III Hardcoat Anodized
Do they have some false advertising going on ?
How can you tell ?
Inquiring minds need to know.

There were a few of the early batches that had Type II on the baffles. They are all done Type III now and have been for a long time.
Matt -
Thats great to hear!

At what serial number did SWR start Type3? I have seen Type2 up into the high 300's.

How many were done at a time in the early batches?

-B
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

mpallett wrote:There were a few of the early batches that had Type II on the baffles. They are all done Type III now and have been for a long time.

Any difference in Type 2 vs. 3 anodizing far as performance / durability?

Curious... why switch anodizing method?
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

garandman wrote:
mpallett wrote:There were a few of the early batches that had Type II on the baffles. They are all done Type III now and have been for a long time.

Any difference in Type 2 vs. 3 anodizing far as performance / durability?

Type 2 is easier and has more wiggle room in the production - vs- Type 3 is more sensitive in production(alot more temperature control), also more expensive and generally a larger setup.

Type 3 is a thicker anodizing than Type 2. Therefore Type3 is more durable than Type 2.

Type 2 isn't "mil-spec" while Type 3 is.

Generally from my experience shops start with Type 2 and when they get big they will move to Type 3. Its a sign of progression in my book!

Type 3 anodized baffles will last longer than Type2 because of the harder and thicker layer of anodizing on the baffle surface. I have yet to see a Type 2 baffle that was so badly damaged that it needed replacing.

Type 2 is alot better than no anodizing as seen in alot of these cans we have been cracking. Certain companies don't anodize their baffles, and haven't for years and they are fine!

-B
FL_Tactical

Post by FL_Tactical »

Just curious, which cans (companies & models) have you found to have no annodizing on the AL baffles?

Thanks.
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

FL_Tactical wrote:Just curious, which cans (companies & models) have you found to have no annodizing on the AL baffles?

Thanks.
My Gemtech Outback II for one.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Ookster wrote:
FL_Tactical wrote:Just curious, which cans (companies & models) have you found to have no annodizing on the AL baffles?

Thanks.
All the silver baffles that have been posted are not anodized. In my personal AAC pistol cans all of them were not anodized. We will be anodizing them soon to beef up the strength in them.

Company wise?

Gemtech - does not anodize pistol baffles(22lr through 45ACP). PERIOD.
AAC has alot of pistol baffles that aren't anodized, most current production ones are and you can tell since they are black(type3hc).
SWR anodizes just about everything however I have seen Omega22's as well as Warlocks that weren't. Never seen a Trident or other than 22lr baffle from SWR that WASN'T anodized to some level(t2 or t3).

Those are the big ones, if you have a different company you would like to know ask specifically since I have been in ALOT of cans.

-B
FL_Tactical

Post by FL_Tactical »

So I guess my grey Evo9 baffles weren't anodized then?

ETA...Could the silver or greyish ones possibly have been 'clear' (type 2) anodized? Some industries use that instead of colors.
Last edited by FL_Tactical on Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Bendersquint wrote:
Ookster wrote:

Thanks.
All the silver baffles that have been posted are not anodized. In my personal AAC pistol cans all of them were not anodized. We will be anodizing them soon to beef up the strength in them.

Company wise?

Gemtech - does not anodize pistol baffles(22lr through 45ACP). PERIOD.
AAC has alot of pistol baffles that aren't anodized, most current production ones are and you can tell since they are black(type3hc).
SWR anodizes just about everything however I have seen Omega22's as well as Warlocks that weren't. Never seen a Trident or other than 22lr baffle from SWR that WASN'T anodized to some level(t2 or t3).

Those are the big ones, if you have a different company you would like to know ask specifically since I have been in ALOT of cans.

-B
Actually, all aac baffles that i know of are anodized... some are clear or gray though, some are black.
Kick Ass Design
FL_Tactical

Post by FL_Tactical »

Lol, I thought and hoped that may be the case (using clear).
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

JasonAAC wrote:
Actually, all aac baffles that i know of are anodized... some are clear or gray though, some are black.
That's what I was going to question/mention. The color is added later and the anodizing can be grey/clear, correct?
So, not having a color wouldn't be an indication that it is not anodized, yes?
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Again, color isn't the only indicator of anodizing, as it CAN be clear.

That said, I've only got a couple year window of working with AAC and it's certainly possible that some earlier baffles were not anodized.

Maybe Mers or someone official would know.
Kick Ass Design
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

While not part of the group buy (darn it!) my Multimount is on the way tomorrow.

It will be cool to see how dirty it is, and then how it looks after you clean it and do your magic!

For those of you that got in on the deal, it was better than you think. Titanium is EXPENSEIVE.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

DustyJacket wrote:While not part of the group buy (darn it!) my Multimount is on the way tomorrow.

It will be cool to see how dirty it is, and then how it looks after you clean it and do your magic!

For those of you that got in on the deal, it was better than you think. Titanium is EXPENSIVE.
Alrighty, the PO says you have my can as of today. I scraped 1/16" or 1/8" of carbon out of the threaded steel sleeve inside the blast chamber. I wonder how it will look after that blast baffle.

I can't wait.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
FL_Tactical

Post by FL_Tactical »

Sorry to thread drift but since we are jailbreaking cans has anyone switched to shooting lead? Started looking at some MBC lead 147grs since I will be able to clean my Evo9 soon :mrgreen: (after it comes back from the GB).
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

garandman wrote: Any difference in Type 2 vs. 3 anodizing far as performance / durability?

I've found that the type of anodizing has little impact on how much erosion occurs around the blast baffle bore hole (and usually the second baffle too). The aluminum underneath is just too soft and once you break through, it goes fast. Hard coat gets thin on corners and it will peen it no matter what after you break through at the sharp corners of the bore. I guess it could stave off peening a little longer than Type 2, but once the bare aluminum is exposed, it's going to spread anywhere burning powder is blasting at it. Beyond that the real value of the type 3 is that it creates a tougher surface for cleaning.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Any update?

About when might the Group Buy cans be shipped back? Thanx!
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

-B, I havent ever seen you, but some how Im picturing you looking just like the Dos Equis guy...
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Ookster
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Ookster »

82nd airborne wrote:-B, I havent ever seen you, but some how Im picturing you looking just like the Dos Equis guy...

Stay thirsty my friends.
saltydecimator
Silent But Deadly

Post by saltydecimator »

Bendersquint wrote:Evo ending in 51.....

This one had TWO blast baffles in it, one SS and one Al(number 5 in the stack!)
Blast baffle before.....
Blast baffle after(of only the SS baffle).....
Before of the complete stack.....
Closeup of some terrible baffles.....
After of the complete stack.....

-B
hey thats mine!!! do i get a prize jason????
its quiet time!
garyk

Post by garyk »

Has anybody got their cans back from this group purchase? I'm not getting any response to email regarding a problem they had with mine, so I'm starting to wonder what's going on.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

garyk wrote:Has anybody got their cans back from this group purchase? I'm not getting any response to email regarding a problem they had with mine, so I'm starting to wonder what's going on.

My last email contact with them was about 10 days ago, re: the change on the endcap design.

Nothing since then, so an update here would be nice...
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

garyk wrote:Has anybody got their cans back from this group purchase? I'm not getting any response to email regarding a problem they had with mine, so I'm starting to wonder what's going on.
No reply to my Phone calls or e-mail as of yet. Let's give him some time. Maybe things are getting resolved?
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Bandit
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bandit »

JohnInNH wrote:No reply to my Phone calls or e-mail as of yet. Let's give him some time. Maybe things are getting resolved?
That is not good. Maybe he is enlarging his collection (joke).
Customer service aint what it used to be.

If you're not part of the solution, you're not only "part" of the problem but, you "are" the problem.