Wait time when the form 4 is awaiting final aproval?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Deja vu
Silent Operator

Wait time when the form 4 is awaiting final aproval?

Post by Deja vu »

I have a suppressor that has been pending since the end of December. Some how I forgot so sign one of the forms and had to send in the fix. So Friday when I called the nice lady said that it was awaiting final approval since July 11th. How long does that mean I have to wait for my stamp?

Thanks in advance!
Grounded
Silent But Deadly

Re: Wait time when the form 4 is awaiting final aproval?

Post by Grounded »

I was following along with nfatracker.com as a guide for my last tax stamp. If you sort by approved date you can get an idea as to how it correlates to pending date.
07/02 behind enemy lines
Deja vu
Silent Operator

Post by Deja vu »

I did that but it says I should already have it... I think the problem status delayed it.

Here is the quote:
Based on the last 6 months of data in NFATracker 100.00% of people with your examiner have received their stamp by now.
Probability you will receive your stamp by the end of that month:
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

You should get the call from your dealer any day now. When one or two of mine hit that status I had a call from the dealer within 10 - 14 days. Some were waiting the signature from the examiner at different dates and the dealer still got 5 approved form 4's all on the same day even though they were approved on different dates. Which tells me that they ATF might only mail out approved Form 4's every week or so.

Hang in there man! You're in the home stretch.

Happy shooting! What you waiting on getting????
I've gotta stop this habit.
str86diesel

Post by str86diesel »

My forms went pending on January 28th and I called for a status back in June. they told me that it went in for final approval on May 28th and they had up to 60 days to approve it. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said that it went pending January 28th and the current wait is 9 months. So i am not sure they are really aware of their own process.
Dr.K
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.K »

Take your mind off of it. It takes a lot longer when your chomping at the bit to get it.

How do I know this? 9 forms pending currently.
Kyle O.
Deja vu
Silent Operator

Post by Deja vu »

Its an AAC Element 2.

I have 4 hosts for it so far.

1. TacSol SBX rifle (12 inch barrel with a 4 inch barrel shroud)
2. Ruger 10/22
3. Walther P22
4. Marlin 17hmr.

wanted it to be 17 hmr capable

This is my second suppressor. The first was a 45-70 can form my Marlin 1895 SBL.

as to taking my mind off of it? Thats the hard part. I had to wait for my dealer to do a form 3 to get one in before I could even start my paperwork.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

OJB4 wrote:You should get the call from your dealer any day now. When one or two of mine hit that status I had a call from the dealer within 10 - 14 days. Some were waiting the signature from the examiner at different dates and the dealer still got 5 approved form 4's all on the same day even though they were approved on different dates. Which tells me that they ATF might only mail out approved Form 4's every week or so.

Curious??

Do they just notify the dealer or do they notify the purchaser as well. I'm entering my 6th month. My dealer is kind of slow when it comes to notifying me when gun stuff has come in. I'm assuming it is like a online sale of a firearms item. I pay for it, it goes to a FFA dealer, they call, I go pick it up and fill out forms. Since this is a somewhat different purchase and all the forms have been filled out and I sent my check along with my form 4, the routine could be different. I don't want to pester my dealer needlessly but getting antsy.

NC changed their hunting laws allowing the use of suppressors for hunting effective October 2013. It would be nice to save my ears with my .308 during deer season.
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

hardcase wrote:
OJB4 wrote:You should get the call from your dealer any day now. When one or two of mine hit that status I had a call from the dealer within 10 - 14 days. Some were waiting the signature from the examiner at different dates and the dealer still got 5 approved form 4's all on the same day even though they were approved on different dates. Which tells me that they ATF might only mail out approved Form 4's every week or so.

Curious??

Do they just notify the dealer or do they notify the purchaser as well. I'm entering my 6th month. My dealer is kind of slow when it comes to notifying me when gun stuff has come in. I'm assuming it is like a online sale of a firearms item. I pay for it, it goes to a FFA dealer, they call, I go pick it up and fill out forms. Since this is a somewhat different purchase and all the forms have been filled out and I sent my check along with my form 4, the routine could be different. I don't want to pester my dealer needlessly but getting antsy.

NC changed their hunting laws allowing the use of suppressors for hunting effective October 2013. It would be nice to save my ears with my .308 during deer season.
Only my dealer was notified when the Form 4 was approved (his notice was my Form 4 arriving in his mailbox.) He called me during the day when he received it. I'm not sure about your dealer, but I would think that most know you are excited to get your new toy after a long wait and I'm sure he would give you a call really soon after it arrives at his shop.....Not to mention that he gets to get it out of his safe and make more room for something else. I did happen to call the ATF and check the status on a can once and checked all that were pending while I was on the phone.....several Form 4's had been approved so it came down to just waiting for the form to arrive. If you know the date they were approved you could still have about 2 weeks or so to wait from my experience (snail mail and all). If you think it should have already been approved by the ATF you can call and check the status. If approved weeks ago then maybe your dealer hasn't called you on accident or just runs behind on customer service.

Try not to think about it if the ATF says it's still pending. All my approvals came through in 6.5 months or less from date pending, so far. I still have 2 others pending but I'm not sure when they went pending and try not to even look at it so I'm not counting down the days. I know it's hell waiting, but I find the less I know about where it is in the process the faster the time goes by.

Good luck with the wait. You should have it for some of the season at the very least so look at it that way!
I've gotta stop this habit.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

str86diesel wrote:My forms went pending on January 28th and I called for a status back in June. they told me that it went in for final approval on May 28th and they had up to 60 days to approve it. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said that it went pending January 28th and the current wait is 9 months. So i am not sure they are really aware of their own process.
For those who have worked in the world's largest bureaucracy we fully appreciate the exponentially
increasing disruption entailed by thoughtless strictures.

It is painfully ironic that so much disproportionate focus is directed on legally, serialized suppressors,
in contradistinction to the security clearance vetting of NSA contractors.

Light bulb in a cartoon over a head moment: immediately assign suppressor paper processing to the
Security Clearance Processors ( ~ 3 weeks ) ... and assign level 6 clearances to 'former' harried ATF
suppressor processors ( ~ necessary and effective 6-9 months )!

Silly me, Occam's Razor solution is dizzying concept to self-serving political appointees with the I.Q.s
around the ambient temperature in Centigrade to adopt. :)
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

str86diesel wrote:My forms went pending on January 28th and I called for a status back in June. they told me that it went in for final approval on May 28th and they had up to 60 days to approve it. I called about 2 weeks ago and they said that it went pending January 28th and the current wait is 9 months. So i am not sure they are really aware of their own process.
9 months, ARHHH (need symbol for pulling out remaining hair) :? .
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

My check was cashed 1/4/2013 I got my stamp today 8/9/2013. I called them last week and was told it would take 30 to 40 days :?
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

I called today, Aug. 9. I went pending on July 19th. and she said it would be another 90 days from that date??????????????? Last time I called in June they said approval would be in Aug., but that was before they rejected my fingerprint cards at the end of June. So according to the woman I talked to, I won't get approved until Oct. She said having to resubmit the cards had nothing to do with it, it was backlog and 9 months is the current turn around time. Talk about being DISGUSTED!!!!!!!!!! I doubt that I'll ever do another........ Too old and too little time. Hell I may never see the damn thing as it is!
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Chris88 wrote:My check was cashed 1/4/2013 I got my stamp today 8/9/2013. I called them last week and was told it would take 30 to 40 days :?
Lol that same thing happened to me early this year on my first can. They said another 30-45 days when I called. The very next week my dealer called up with my stamp.

Just be thankful for nice surprises... they don't happen very often. :mrgreen:
krtw

Post by krtw »

str86diesel wrote:So i am not sure they are really aware of their own process.
For sure the persons answering the phone likely don't. At 7 months here and was recently told by the voice that answered the phone, it should be approved in another 60 days. :shock:

Nothing should take this long.....nothing. Infringement, clearly. If I can walk out of a store w/ a gun after an instant back ground check within minutes, there is ZERO reason this should take any longer.
Chris88

Post by Chris88 »

rimshaker wrote:
Chris88 wrote:My check was cashed 1/4/2013 I got my stamp today 8/9/2013. I called them last week and was told it would take 30 to 40 days :?
Lol that same thing happened to me early this year on my first can. They said another 30-45 days when I called. The very next week my dealer called up with my stamp.

Just be thankful for nice surprises... they don't happen very often. :mrgreen:
This did not count the month are so I had to wait for the state approval ( Louisiana ). I sure am glade we don't have to have approval from the state anymore. Now I have to put my SBR together. I should be getting my can's next month I hope.
str86diesel

Post by str86diesel »

To bring everyone hope, here is my status:

Form mailed in dec 29
Check cashed jan 3
Went pending jan 28

Received a call from my dealer today and picked up my cans 8)
I also went and checked the mail and my form 1 for an SBR arrived too.

Ohhh happy day.....ohhh happy day :D
AKDOC
Silent Operator

Post by AKDOC »

I have the exact same pending date but my examiner is still in early Jan I think, it's Frushour. Who is your examiner?
str86diesel

Post by str86diesel »

All of my forms are stamped with Sara Jones
Loaded
Silent Operator

Post by Loaded »

Dudash.