Different Caliber Suppressor

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

TimL2165

Different Caliber Suppressor

Post by TimL2165 »

Hi Guys-
I'm new to the forum. I checked the search option and didn't find the answer to this question.

We have a Knights screw on suppressor for a 9mm MP5. We s--t-canned all our MP5's except our MP5SD's for LWRC M6's.

My question is...

Can a Knights 9mm suppressor work reliably/safely on a LWRC 5.56mm rifle?? The suppressor will screw onto the LWRC, and obviously the 5.56mm will pass through the 9mm bore hole, but we're worried about blowing the suppressor apart with the added pressure, etc.

Can the 9mm suppressor handle the 5.56mm cartride?? Or is this an NO-GO option??

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Tim
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Re: Different Caliber Suppressor

Post by Bowen1911 »

if you decide to do it, video it. both for the internet to see and the insurance company

but i would advise against doing it
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

TimL,

I'm a newbie ... but have been researching 9mm cans of late. Is very desirable to ask the manufacturer rather than guess. 9mm doesn't generate anywhere near as much pressure as the 5.56 round. In choosing the 9mm can I have on order I specifically asked if it was good to go with subsonic 300 BLK.

I go the answer I wanted. I don't think you're going to get the answer you want! Hope I am wrong ... but you do not want to be uncertain! :)
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

The Knight's can will NOT take the pressure. But, as others say it would survive non full auto 300 Whisper or 300 Blkout more than likely. If the knights cans are 1/2x28 then find some 92fs to install them on for methlab entry or NO flash entry. :D I personally think the Knight's cans are loud. Maby you could trade them for other cans to fulfill your needs.
Tuukka
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tuukka »

TimL2165 wrote:Hi Guys-
I'm new to the forum. I checked the search option and didn't find the answer to this question.

We have a Knights screw on suppressor for a 9mm MP5. We s--t-canned all our MP5's except our MP5SD's for LWRC M6's.

My question is...

Can a Knights 9mm suppressor work reliably/safely on a LWRC 5.56mm rifle?? The suppressor will screw onto the LWRC, and obviously the 5.56mm will pass through the 9mm bore hole, but we're worried about blowing the suppressor apart with the added pressure, etc.

Can the 9mm suppressor handle the 5.56mm cartride?? Or is this an NO-GO option??

Your input is greatly appreciated.
Tim
Staff from Knight's post on this forum and they have their own subforum as well.

It is always best to ask the manufacturer.
Ase Utra sound suppressors / www.aseutra.fi
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

M40A1308M wrote:But, as others say it would survive non full auto SUBSONIC 300 Blkout more than likely.
fixed.
Kick Ass Design
TimL2165

Post by TimL2165 »

Tuuka-

Sorry for posting this in the wrong thread. Like I said I'm new. I'll ask Knights. (I'm expecting them to say NO-GO).

Thanks for all the replies everybody.

Tim
Tuukka
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tuukka »

You gotta start somewhere :) But it was good that you asked before you shot..

You will find representatives from many suppressor manufacturers on the forums here.
Ase Utra sound suppressors / www.aseutra.fi