What to expect in the next 25 years of suppressor developmen

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Kip42
Senior Silent Operator

What to expect in the next 25 years of suppressor developmen

Post by Kip42 »

What can we expect to see in the next 25 years of of suppressor development? I am happy with quick attach and detach systems. Will they find a way to make the quieter, flash less, less dust signature or should I buy all the ones that I want now?

Can I run a .45 ACP suppressor on A glock 45, 40, 9mm, and 10mm? How loud will a .45 can be on a Glock .45?
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Re: What to expect in the next 25 years of suppressor develo

Post by mcinfantry »

Kip42 wrote:What can we expect to see in the next 25 years of of suppressor development? I am happy with quick attach and detach systems. Will they find a way to make the quieter, flash less, less dust signature or should I buy all the ones that I want now?

Can I run a .45 ACP suppressor on A glock 45, 40, 9mm, and 10mm? How loud will a .45 can be on a Glock .45?
A lot
Me too
Yes
I would
Why wait
Yes
Not too loud
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

mcinfantry wrote:
Kip42 wrote:What can we expect to see in the next 25 years of of suppressor development? I am happy with quick attach and detach systems. Will they find a way to make the quieter, flash less, less dust signature or should I buy all the ones that I want now?

A lot
Me too
Yes
I would
Why wait
Yes
Not too loud
Stuff will be quieter, lighter, more durable, smaller, and hopefully less regulated in 25 years.

You also will have lost 25 years of shooting enjoyment. Buy what is out now and enjoy.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

I agree . It took decades to get to the efficiency-level of SIONACS suppressors , and we're several decades beyond that . Technology and decibel ratings have improved , but not dramatically . The laws of physics being what they are , and considering the efficiency of current suppressor manufacturers , any decibel improvement is hard-won , in my opinion ... Enjoy the state-of-the-art designs that are available now ...
Table Rock Arms
Silent Operator

Post by Table Rock Arms »

Of course they will find a way to improve them in all aspects, but if you wait to buy things because there is a better one coming out in the future you would never buy anything. Life is too short to wait for the future to arrive.
Table Rock Arms
07 FFL 02 SOT
541-702-6216
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Am new to the technology but am impressed by it and enjoying it as well. I agree that one might expect cans to get more efficient over time.

How much is the question. Do designers of suppressors currently use computational simulation tools like FLUID and Flowtran? There has been a dramatic improvement in the availability of relatively inexpensive computational power in the last decade. Could allow significant improvement in designs if computational techniques have not been applied to design thus far.
accrew85

Post by accrew85 »

hopefully 300 BLK ammo will be cheaper in 25 years :?
starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

I have an original guts Sionics 45 can and it was way ahead of it time in the 70s. With 6 original 40 rounder mags and bunches of grease gun mags, it takes dumps all day in stride with Bullseye powder to crank up the cyclic rate and I've put thousands down range ala boolit squirter style.Not practical but surely impresses the onlooker wannabes. And it keeps on coming back for more. This low end can surely demonstrates crude manufacturing standards of then but IS highly effective and lacks the high end precise EDM machining of today. It's obvious that the latest designs back then was was mostly by trial and error combined with a dab of genius. If Maxim or WerBell had the additional tools of CAD and high pressure flow mapping when they were taking a calculated shot in the dark with their leading designs then, the evolutionary advancement of suppressors would be much further along today. As previously stated prior, the immutable laws of physics will become more so an ever higher and higher threshold to realizes ANY db reductions as technology maxes out its ability to find an improvement in efficiency ANYWHERE. I suggest that there are several other aspects of can improvements usually overlooked - BUT not just the sound signature as the 1st reason for leading the pack. Current cans on the market are almost all top shelf performers and the discriminating buyer will be able to get the best bang for the buck with the new digital sound comparisons. Analog will find the 8 track and live in lost history together. A low end can will not survive comparative competition as a low performer in just sound reduction alone. Too many other considerations as the quantity/quality of cans escalates for side by side perks thereto comparing apples to apples. I suppose aluminum guts in pistol cans will fade out for its lack of long term durability and unnecessary legal hassles w/ required replacement so that my Sionics can would appreciate a custom stainless spiral bound baffles upgrade that would go well beyond dipping/cleaning and my lifetime.
There will come a time eventually when possibly all rifle cans will be completely made of 1, 2 or possibly 3 metals - Titanium, Stainless or Inconel or its new future Star Trek alloy replacement. In the meantime, Inconel is still hard to beat. Why not add it strategically to pistol cans for maxed out durability.There will be an option for full Inconel guts eventually. And it will cost dearly. My SS Sparrow takes 180 drum dumps 3 at a time. What if the ss core was out of Inconel for that extra smidgen in durability.Cost prohibitive but I forecast Inconel guts coming to a "lot" suppressor designs. So, I'm waiting on an SDN-6 stamp EXACTLY for that reason. But surely I and others out there will pay if only for the Best of the best. The ss Sparrow and SDN-6 are top shelf performers as "collectible investments'"on their official reason for paying for their stamps. There are many others that came in a squeaking close 2nd. But it goes much further than that. In the next 25 years they will be still performing near to the degree when they were brand new related to their upgrades in metal, attach/detach and of major importance of the Sparrow- cleanability.
I haven't heard a peep out of Silencercos rifle cans but surely with its CAD/5 axis milling design TO be cutting edge just like the Sparrow. I even have its name picked out. Hope it's called the Condor or the Pteradactyl for 'kewl' factor. It'll be right at home flying with the other birds.
Of more importance, have You noticed that more and more mainstream big name manufacturers are offering threaded barrels and 300 Blackout is the 1st of many subsonic " new" calibers coming. Public perception of noise suppression is changing favorably for can transition into mainstream. Hearing preservation and genuine shooting pleasure WITHOUT the blast, recoil and those damn ear protectors will trump knee jerk liberal Hollywood propaganda. Hunting suppressed and being a good "quiet" neighbor will become the norm. The cans crowd will grow to the point that we can no longer be contained under the radar as a forgotten stepchild and be used eventually to strategically repeal the UNconstitutional MG ban and the repeal of the pervert Hughes amendment that never actually cleared Congress.
Also, with the prohibitive cost of an SMG, the funds that normally would aquire that new blaster toy are being used to fuel can purchases. So, the 100 db can w/ supersonics probably never will be available but it'll be surely fun trying. Are there going to be any manufacturers out there able to fly alongside that Condor? And, I need a new insanely expensive Inconel guts pistol can. Any future early bird takers? :D starlingstalker
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
jackson
Silent But Deadly

Post by jackson »

guns that dont shoot bullets,so there wont be a need to use suppressor.or the way things are going a confiscation of all guns.or thunderdome or ,or or.how can one speculate 25 years from now,we cant even get today right.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'd predict a lot of homesmithing after economic collapse and the resulting upheaval. Buy what's legal now and it will be better made than what you'll have to build after the apocalypse :P
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

We'll have bullets with multiple propellant sections, similar to rockets, that intelligently ignite keeping the bullet from going supersonic and start to accelerate as they begin to go slower (and stay subsonic).

Suppressors will not have to work as hard in the future. They'll be smaller, shorter and God-willing lower in price.
LP
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

1) Buy something now because tomorow is no guarantee.

2) My prediction for the state of silencer technology 25 years from now: more quiet shooting goodness.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

In 25 years your guns will be in a locked box at a .gov run/approved range open only during the time you are at work.

Get you stuff NOW while you can still shoot.

It will be hard to beat the 120 dB for center fire pistol.

120 dB for 9m dry

125 dB for 45 dry

.22 110- 112 dB on a rifle, 111 -112 dB (dry) on a pistol will probably be the limits..

308 Rifle... low 130's

We are almost there now.

The improvements will be on serviceability and longevity. Materials will be the change.

If the laws change a lot will change in the industry.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
robblg

Post by robblg »

starlingstalker wrote: Current cans on the market are almost all top shelf performers and the discriminating buyer will be able to get the best bang for the buck with the new digital sound comparisons. Analog will find the 8 track and live in lost history together. A low end can will not survive comparative competition as a low performer in just sound reduction alone.
The New Digital sound testing has already almost eradicated FRP from all the current cans on the market... :P
Gibal
Silent Operator

Post by Gibal »

Modern cans can thank, in large part, advances in metallurgy. With advances in 3d printing and metallic glass, I think we'll see much lighter and stronger options. Both would allow for ultra-strong metals to be formed into their finished state. This will allow for thinner metals, no welds, and a perfectly concentric can. The performance will not likely increase as they are damn near as best as they can be now, unless someone finds a way to make a completely silent action or a way to negate a supersonic crack.
"Studies have shown that breathing through the nose, as opposed to the mouth, may increase a person's IQ"
madkap

Post by madkap »

I imagine user serviceability will be the greatest advance. Non-sealed higher caliber cans, more innovative systems to make suppressors easier to clean and longer lifespans. And hopefully more ammunition geared towards suppressed use. Perhaps a new pistol cartridge more explicitly designed for a suppressor.

As far as CAD is concerned, I could believe that genetic algorithms could be used to determine optimal silencer designs. Thousands of micro iterations on designs to optimize sound suppression. Similar technology is used for lens design.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

JohnInNH wrote:If the laws change a lot will change in the industry.

Please elaborate!
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I see the tax stamp being adjusted for inflation and ending silencers. Clinton had planned to do it and thankfully those beautiful lips of that porker in that scandal sidetracked all his plans. If I remember correctly the tax stamp was suppose to go to 5000.00. It would only have to go to 1000 to end it. Its not a revenue tool because if it was they would have brought in more examiners along time ago. The ATF is more than aware that half the people walk away from the dealers when they find out the wait times. (First thing my SOT does at the shows is bring up the wait times to prospective first time silencer owners just so he doesn't deal with the crap later and they walk..He still has people that ears shut down while fondling the cans and then throw a fit a few weeks later when they call about getting their can.) Figuring the average examiner processes 25-100 forms a day, do the math on the money they could be making now for an employee that only makes 30-50K per year. If it was a business they would quadruple the number of examiners and do away with form 3's. Just simply allow SOT's to keep inventory. They would also enter you into the sytem after you've gone through the process on your first set of Form 4's so there wouldn't be any wait times on any future purchases. We know their addictive, the sheriff's signing off on them know it, the dealers know it and so does the ATF.

It was originally planned to have pistols included in the NFA act as well. Thankfully someone making the descions back then liked their handguns. I figure the tax stamp will just be figured in the cost of owning a machine gun..Given the registry is so small I don't see it as a big problem for those.

It's also possible that silencers could be hit just like machine guns were in 86. On the bright side at least then they would have a resale value and could actually become an investment. Then it would really pay to have a quality ones.

I also see the use of AL being taken out of cans in the next few years. Assuming the powers to be right now aren't the ones that screw up the stamp. On a side not I'm not a glass half full guy..I say pick the calibers you like now and buy models that will last you for life. Stock up on those high cap mags as well.. :lol:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

diablito wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:If the laws change a lot will change in the industry.

Please elaborate!
What if they eased the issue of the replacement of the tube and said "crush and replace was OK"..

Or if Baffles were not considered a "silencer" and were user replaceable? Then Silencer Companies would have to make the K baffles the same length all the time.. but a owner could replace a worn out K baffles then easily. Erosion would not be as big of a deal. Just order a few replacements and swap em out. Just as one example

A lot of things the companies have been doing match the needs of the consumer and those needs can and are driven by the laws. The whole user serviceable center-fire pistol can thing was driven by the so called "GemTax"

It has improved a lot of things but also made some thigs harder (baffle strike damaging a tube for example.)

The SilencerCo design making the Osprey front replaceable was slick. I believe that was partially driven by the laws.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
HKschalldampfer

Post by HKschalldampfer »

I believe the biggest improvement over all will be the ammunition. I think there will be more demand for captive piston technology that the KGB & CIA used back in the day. The overall silencer components will always be changing with the evolution of machine tool tech. There will always be something lighter, more compact, better mounting systems, etc. Hopefully the biggest change will be the declassification of silencers as a firearm and moved into the AOW category.
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

Nobody browses the internet???
I suggest you buy your stuff now and enjoy.
2012 is just around the corner :mrgreen: