Smith and Wesson 2214's

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Smith and Wesson 2214's

Post by Chondro »

I've seen a couple of these posted now that are threaded and think they would be a fun little host..I figured they were custom jobs like my model 41 and just saw one in my gunshop today..Hell some guy came in and sold off about 25 pistols.. :shock:
Looks like you just need an adapter..How do these sound with a can and how do they shoot? Nice little package..Say compared for sound to a P-22 or GSG for sound? I list those because in my opinion they are the quietest but granted both are just toys..
Here's an adapter I found..I ask because I better run and grab it tomorrow if its worth it.. :lol:
http://www.ewkarms.com/zencart/index.ph ... ducts_id=8
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
este
Silent But Deadly

Re: Smith and Wesson 2214's

Post by este »

I had a short one when I was younger, loudest 22 pistol I ever heard. I'm sure that doesn't mean much since it was unsuppressed. It has a both sides open action like the 41, my 87T, and the buckmarks. Some people say the Rugers are quieter than the buckmarks because only one side is open, makes sense but I don't know for sure.

I'm kinda mad my dad sold the 2214, as it would be sweet to have now. I think it's a better deal than a P22, but has all the same problems (too short a sight radius to be effective at anything).
bp100tenex

Post by bp100tenex »

I have a couple of these. They are nice hosts for me. Bottom barrel with easy adapter installation. Full size 10 or 12 round mags from the 422/622 series guns work well. I own, but have not shot them back to back with the Walther and GSG for comparison. The 2214 sounds perfectly good to me though. Accuracy is pretty good for a small gun. The fixed sights are somtimes a little off for different loads. I think it would be worth a try.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Chondro, these are neat little guns. :D

Here is my 2213 with my Element. (TV) :D

Mine feed every ammo's I put through it so far (suppressed) Standards and bulk pack HV almost sound the same, with Element it is very quiet and POI is perfect. :P The Safety is a bit awkwardness for my taste but this and the "AAACK" are my two favorite small guns.

I no trust Wather to last or shoot very good either. The S&W has a nice trigger, is reliable, and shoots Great. :P I will do a vid soon and have Amigo bring his Walther for compares.

I hear the new Wather will have a beefyness slide and new grip (copy HK P-30)

Anyways EWK sells the best bushing and also a better firing pin than stock (some have been known to break) The little gun will take your model 41 mags. :D

I hear serial numbers "U" and up have MIM controls .

Price should be $250 range.

Hope this helps. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
MIDGET

Post by MIDGET »

That's sweet Emilio. I assume that's a threaded barrel? who can thread one that short?!
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Hey thanks guys for all the help!! Emilio it was yours that I saw it for the first time threaded and wanted one.. :D Just didn't want to threadjack..
I'm gonna grab it..Just sick of miserable hosts and thought I'd check..Yep really need another rimfire host.. :lol:
Thanks for the tip on the firing pin! I saw it would take 41 mags..Got a dozen or so of the 12 rounders so that will make up for it only coming with one..
Surprising a gun this old would have adapters made for it..Glad to see everyone jumping into the silencer game.. :mrgreen:

FCPtrainer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by FCPtrainer »

Hi,
Here is my S&W with the same or similar adapter. I bought mine from a guy that goes by hotrod9mm. I'm very happy with this setup.

Kirk

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

este wrote:I had a short one when I was younger, loudest 22 pistol I ever heard. I'm sure that doesn't mean much since it was unsuppressed. It has a both sides open action like the 41, my 87T, and the buckmarks. Some people say the Rugers are quieter than the buckmarks because only one side is open, makes sense but I don't know for sure.

I'm kinda mad my dad sold the 2214, as it would be sweet to have now. I think it's a better deal than a P22, but has all the same problems (too short a sight radius to be effective at anything).
The 2214/2213/422/622/2206 only have one open side so they are left side quiet.

You are right about loud :cry: While switchings the can on hosts I forget and fired my 2213 without ears indoors! My right ear was ringings. :oops:

The Smith doesn't suffer from the same problems of the Wather! The sight are small but good and good trigger. I shoot this very well, it doesn't shoot one little hole like my Ruger but it does shoot on little cluster! It also like all brand of ammo I try! (old and new) It groups sweetness with old "western" standard vel.

I pretty picky about the small guns I keep, have owned or shot most all. I liked the looks of Beretta 21A with suppressor but have owned and no trust. The 2213 and AAACK filled my small host cravings and my searchings are over.

I which they still made this gun! :x
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Chondro wrote:Hey thanks guys for all the help!! Emilio it was yours that I saw it for the first time threaded and wanted one.. :D Just didn't want to threadjack..
I'm gonna grab it..Just sick of miserable hosts and thought I'd check..Yep really need another rimfire host.. :lol:
Thanks for the tip on the firing pin! I saw it would take 41 mags..Got a dozen or so of the 12 rounders so that will make up for it only coming with one..
Surprising a gun this old would have adapters made for it..Glad to see everyone jumping into the silencer game.. :mrgreen:
I need to pick up some 12 rounders and make grip extenders (with loading groves). :P I have 5ea 8 round and they work great.

Negatives? Needs take down tool. Mags more of chore to take apart (follower pin dumb idea and plate=takes longer to do than other mags) The safety could be better (Not the best SHTF safety without practice!) Maybe flared up would help but risk of breaking it.(no parts).

Make sure you remove lock washer and clean inside when replacing bushing, I used little bit red lock tite and it's on there good. Don't over torque adapter.

I like the Allen wrench adapter EWK makes! Everyone should make like that! Close to host and easy. :D I HATE the wrench type on my Advantage arms Glock because you have to take barrel off to clean! :cry:
gr8smiles
Silent Operator

Post by gr8smiles »

Chondro wrote:I've seen a couple of these posted now that are threaded and think they would be a fun little host..I figured they were custom jobs like my model 41 and just saw one in my gunshop today..Hell some guy came in and sold off about 25 pistols.. :shock:
Looks like you just need an adapter..How do these sound with a can and how do they shoot? Nice little package..Say compared for sound to a P-22 or GSG for sound? I list those because in my opinion they are the quietest but granted both are just toys..
Here's an adapter I found..I ask because I better run and grab it tomorrow if its worth it.. :lol:
http://www.ewkarms.com/zencart/index.ph ... ducts_id=8
I have several of these in all the different lengths and they all sport the adapter from EWK. His takedown tool and replacement firing pin are nice too. These guns do have a history of breaking firing pins if you dryfire them. Very light guns and fun little hosts.
OrygunKEO

Post by OrygunKEO »

My 2214s are some of my favorite pieces. If your handy with wood you can make a set of grips that are about 1/2 inch longer
at the very front and slightly thinner and end up with a pistol that is smaller overall but has enough grip length for all the
fingers (at least for my fingers, anyway). If I'm remembering correctly this pistol can handle up to a 1 5/8 inch diameter can
without obscuring the sights.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

I love my 4.5" 442. Wood grips and adjustable sights. I run it with my Specter, with the 442's light weight the Specter's weight doesn't bother me at all.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Well I went ahead and grabbed it..While doing the paperwork on it my gunsmith pulls out a brand new in the box 422 for 200 bucks too..asks me if I want that as well..The point was the small package so I passed on it..His helper snatched it out of his hands and took it for himself then. So straight from there we head to the range and what a pleasant little gun..I mean its only a .22 but hell it doesn't jump at all..I should have grabbed the 422 as well!!!!! That barrel below the slide must be the key..very cool design...

Ordering the adapter now..Thanks again guys!!!

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Chondro wrote:Well I went ahead and grabbed it..While doing the paperwork on it my gunsmith pulls out a brand new in the box 422 for 200 bucks too..asks me if I want that as well..The point was the small package so I passed on it..His helper snatched it out of his hands and took it for himself then. So straight from there we head to the range and what a pleasant little gun..I mean its only a .22 but hell it doesn't jump at all..I should have grabbed the 422 as well!!!!! That barrel below the slide must be the key..very cool design...

Ordering the adapter now..Thanks again guys!!!
I pay $200 for my "Promo" model with everything, It was fired twice and from original owner. These deals are becoming rare for Mint or NIB and I would have buy that 442 if NIB!!!!!!! :cry: That is easy $350-$450 on GB where people pay smoking cracks! You should have bruise from kicking yourself. :mrgreen: It share the same mags as your 41 and what does $200 get you these days in NIB 22 pistol? Go kick yourself for me! :P

I look for 4" 422 right now and a 2214 .

Yes, they shoot nice and cool design, just wait until you put a suppressor on it with quietness. :P Also name another 22 that size that is no ammo picky and groups better!

Do you have the take down tool? I think the plastic tool is the same used on the Model 22A.

If you need tip on getting bushing off, let me know. :D
OrygunKEO

Post by OrygunKEO »

Here's an example of the grip extension on a 2214. It doesn't look like much but it makes a lot of
difference (at least to me). These grips were a lucky find years ago.
LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

I usually just use a spent .22 casing for take down. I never had the actual take down tool.
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

I really like the S&W 22's, the 2214's 2213's work great. the orange followers are 12 rd's I have had a dozen of these pistols in and out of the shop, I kept the ones below. they have the feel of a full sized pistol, natural pointers, and function 100% until they have a few hundred rounds through them, then just a quick blast of WD and they keep on ticking... probably my favorite 22 pistol... Parts are kinda scarce, but I have not needed to replace anything but a grip screw... and a side plate screw black grip ( bottom pic )Not bad for as many rounds I have sent down the pipe..

STL

LonghunterCO
Silent But Deadly

Post by LonghunterCO »

Note to self: get more mags.

-Nice collection.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Made a vid for you today Chondro. :D

All cement range (LOUD) but you can tell by brass, fan, and slide how quiet.

awesomeness combo.

Yeadon is the host host. :D

Element sounded great on the 16" Ares also! :shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ivCFjQERDc
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I had no idea there were so many of these hosts around. Thanks guys! Thanks Emilio for the vid! Gota get your mug in there and quit being lazy making your buddy do all the work...I saw your other vid what that 22/45 rifle..good to see someone that knows there way around the Rugers..Everyone makes them out to be so hard to take down..I just don't understand it..
Here's a vid for ya..Oh and my adapter I had to mail in the check!!! I thought I was gonna order it right away.. :( Ahh this NFA thing is all about patience..I wanna play with it.. :P
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrLkQ1UQAw

JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

350 Rem Mag at what FPS .. It this a full power round? If the Mystic can handle that it should handle the full power 357 MAXIMUM. (a 200 gr bullet at 1780 FPS.)
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Last edited by Emilio on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Boy can I relate

I went shooting with Dave (TreyPhish) this past weekend.. I brought a bunch of hosts.. It does take a while to pack up and then put away and clean all the crap we take when we go shooting... (I really should just bring a few to make it easier) Between the two of us we had the back of his pick up filled with firearms/silencers/ammo.

He has a T/C in 357 and like My 357 MAX it is sweet with subs and a 9mm pistol can.

LOTS of brass was flying.. We had a 9 mm sub gun and a M16

I had 2 .5 containers of tannerite and a .5 lb container of Sure Shot. I will never get Tannerite again after setting off the Sure Shot. 2-3x the power of Tannerite. Sure Shot has a nice flash too. Tannerite is a lower tone thump, the SureShot is a higher velocity bang. It also made the TV I had it resting on disappear unlike the Tannerite which just cracked the plastic case it was resting on.

My Mystic gets LOTS of usage. .22 rifle and pistol... 38/357/357 MAX, 223, 308 subs. With the Booster and 1/2x28 and a 5/8-24 fixed barrel adapters you have most hosts covered. I have to admit I do miss my Evo-9 and look forward to getting it back from Matt.

I got to shoot my Dan Wesson 1911 with my Osprey for the first time. I fit my Storm Lake barrel to fit it as well as my RIA. That is one sweet setup. I think the Osprey just works better on a 1911 than the other hosts. My Sig seems louder and does not have the same soft long push for recoil that the 1911 seems to have to me.

I shot a lot of 45 acp. I now only have a few boxes of the crappy reloads I got left. I can't wait to be rid of them. The primers are not seated all the way and I get LOTS of rounds that need a second hit to go off. The first just seats the primer all the way.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
xwray

Post by xwray »

I'm in the process of aquiring my first suppressor (sparrow) to install on my S&W 2206 using the EWK adapter. While trying to assuage my concerns over the possibility of a baffle strike due to the double thread interface - pistol barrel to adapter and adapter to Sparrow - I ran across this thread with lots of the S&W 4xx and 22xx with folks running suppressors on them using the same setup. Did y'all do anything to verify that everything was lined up properly prior to shooting it for the first time? Have you heard about any baffle strikes on the S&Ws?

I tend to to get a little anal with this sort of thing and this being my first ain't helping.

thanks for any feedback
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

My 422 is my favorite as well. :D
Hotrod9mm made my adapter, and it's wonderful. He's on a lot of the forums and gun broker I.I.R.C.
These are great hosts with the ability to use the 12 round factory mags that CDNN sells.
THIS is MY safety!