NFA transfers taking 5 months?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

NFA transfers taking 5 months?

Post by edteach »

I called the NFA today and asked them about my pending transfer as of June 7th. I was told I should look to October as its taking about 5 months now. Nichole Dudash is my examiner. From the data base of completed NFA tables I see I should look to about September. Whats anyone else's experience as of late?
DOGON
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Re: NFA transfers taking 5 months?

Post by lafsnguy »

I have one with her that has been pending since May 11. On Nfa tracker she approved one in the beginning of august that was pending on may 3rd. So my number should be up yet I haven't heard anything or seen any other ones approved by her posted here or on Nfa tracker. So maybe five months is what it is becoming.
45shooter
Silent Operator

Post by 45shooter »

Pending since May 16th. You're not alone. Glad this is my 2nd. transfer, the first one seemed to have me all bent out of shape for 90 days with anticipation.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

I think that's just a standard response they have to give. Every time I've called in the past, they said 4 months. At that time, approvals were taking anywhere from 30 days to 4 months.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Anton was the worst for that..He would say don't even bother to check if it went pending in less than 3 months..Though always cracked me up that never once did it take longer than 30..I don't think anyone can say what to expect but I'm thinking the times should go down a bit right now..As they are only working on a few states and as they master the laws of each it should speed things up..I always check just to make sure its in the system and then try to forget about it.
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

Wahnsinn wrote:I think that's just a standard response they have to give. Every time I've called in the past, they said 4 months. At that time, approvals were taking anywhere from 30 days to 4 months.

THIS ^ ^ ^

Its a "brushback" pitch (baseball) meaning "Get comfortable, don't call me every week."

Presently in my 10th NFA transfer, its my estimation there is no rhyme nor reason to timing of NFA transfers.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
SouthTXEMT

Post by SouthTXEMT »

I hope they dont take that long. I sent my form 1 back in mid July and they still have not cashed my check.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

SouthTXEMT wrote:I hope they dont take that long. I sent my form 1 back in mid July and they still have not cashed my check.
Sent in a Form 4 8-15-11 "Monday" and check was cashed today, 8-19-11 "Friday"
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

gwendell wrote:
SouthTXEMT wrote:I hope they dont take that long. I sent my form 1 back in mid July and they still have not cashed my check.
Sent in a Form 4 8-15-11 "Monday" and check was cashed today, 8-19-11 "Friday"

Did y'all mail to the Atlanta or Martinsburg address?
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I would say 5 months seems about right. I just had one come back and it took forever it seems. I had Snook so I don't think that helped.

I sent mine in right about when people were getting them back super-fast, apparently things were zipping along and came to a crash at some point.

Why this isn't online with a speedy-approval for known applicants is beyond me.
btb601
Silent But Deadly

Post by btb601 »

I would be calling them to see if they have it or not. My check was cashed in 4 days of sending it in, sent on a Thursday and cashed on Monday.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

So far I f'ed up once and sent it to an old address that happened to be on the form 4 I had from my dealer...Chicago. Took a couple extra weeks, they tried to deliver it several times to that address (it's a JP Morgan Chase address now I believe). Finally got it back all mangled and realized what I did, sent it on to Atlanta.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

edteach wrote:I called the NFA today and asked them about my pending transfer as of June 7th. I was told I should look to October as its taking about 5 months now. Nichole Dudash is my examiner. From the data base of completed NFA tables I see I should look to about September. Whats anyone else's experience as of late?
You should be any day now, Dudash averages 107 days and 74 days from pending. Mine was 2.5 months from pending and under 4 months from buying the can.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

45shooter wrote:Pending since May 16th. You're not alone. Glad this is my 2nd. transfer, the first one seemed to have me all bent out of shape for 90 days with anticipation.
Wow, I have had mine for weeks since similar pending date. :| Hope you get it soon.
jcorbett1979

Post by jcorbett1979 »

Pending since 5-31 with Pickles. Hopefully soon!!!
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

Well good news just got off the phone with the NFA branch and my one pending with Dudash as of May 11th was approved yesterday.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

jcorbett1979 wrote:Pending since 5-31 with Pickles. Hopefully soon!!!
Pickles is fast, expect a call. :P What you getting?
jcorbett1979

Post by jcorbett1979 »

Tac 65. I know, I know... I should have done more research, but it was a decent deal so I guess I cant complain. Hopefully Pickles will be through with mine soon. I'm just not going to call every couple of weeks. Ill probably try to call sometime next month.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

I mailed mine to Martinburg (Duh!) June 23. Check cashed July 27. I'll check pending / any problems end of August.

Once it goes pending, I pretty much forget about it, till I get a ATF envelope.
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

I bought a Stainless Sparrow from Major in January. I haven't heard anything about it since.

Major is a great guy to deal with, and his prices are great, but now I regret buying out of state, and I'm annoyed with the whole thing, wish I hadn't bothered, etcetera.

If I would have spent $100 more and bought one in state, I would have had it already. I was going off a (clearly incorrect) presumption that these state to state transfers only took weeks.
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

GTFord1 wrote:I bought a Stainless Sparrow from Major in January. I haven't heard anything about it since.

Major is a great guy to deal with, and his prices are great, but now I regret buying out of state, and I'm annoyed with the whole thing, wish I hadn't bothered, etcetera.

If I would have spent $100 more and bought one in state, I would have had it already. I was going off a (clearly incorrect) presumption that these state to state transfers only took weeks.
Bryon is a good dude but sometimes I feel he gets overwhelmed and things fall through the cracks. I would definitely get in touch with him to find out what the deal is. A form 3 should take 4-6 weeks tops.
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

lafsnguy wrote:
GTFord1 wrote:I bought a Stainless Sparrow from Major in January. I haven't heard anything about it since.

Bryon is a good dude but sometimes I feel he gets overwhelmed and things fall through the cracks. I would definitely get in touch with him to find out what the deal is. A form 3 should take 4-6 weeks tops.
I e-mailed him a few minutes ago. I e-mailed him once back in like June, and he told me the paperwork was sent off, and that was already 3+ months in.
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

Got my last stamp last month. Took 4 months on a trust.
psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 »

Never had a stamp go over 2 months. Sounds like Eric Holder & ATF are screwing you over :lol:
Speed-Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Speed-Racer »

Got my 2 SBR form 1's back Wednesday.........Almost 5 months to the day :shock:
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

...Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

...One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.