Advise on which silencer to get

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

thesheepdog

Advise on which silencer to get

Post by thesheepdog »

Hello, I am new to the forum.

I am in the market to get a suppressor for my AR's.

Right now I am keeping a good eye on YHM's SS 7.62 model so I can use it on 5.56 and 6.5 rifles.

How are YHM compared to say AAC in build quality and durability?

I want a suppressor that is quiet and can last a looooong time.

So if any of you have any pros and cons for AAC and YHM (besides price difference), please tell me.

Thanks!
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Re: Advise on which silencer to get

Post by Chondro »

Welcome to the forum.. :D Skip the YHM..Someone here can help you with the AAC can..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
thesheepdog

Post by thesheepdog »

Chondro wrote:Welcome to the forum.. :D Skip the YHM..Someone here can help you with the AAC can..
So can you advise why the YHM is not a good option? I certainly like their baffle construction compared to say GemTech's crap stack.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Chondro wrote:Welcome to the forum.. :D Skip the YHM..Someone here can help you with the AAC can..
What!? You're not going to tell him about the Mystic?!?!?
Im just messing with you man. But in all seriousness, there are a lot of good .30 cans out there, and for even more versitility, there is the mystic.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... (16-quot-)

There is nothing wrong with the YHM SS silencers at all. They are decent, inexpensive silencers.

Check out the AAC 762SD series silencers. The metered quieter on 5.56 than the YHM 7.62 silencer and would appear to have a wider variety of mount options. The 762SDN-6 is smaller, lighter and all inconel which would be the toughest option, but it's reduced size make it just a little louder than the standard 762SD, but not by much. The 762SD has an inconel blast baffle.

Inconel is a very tough steel alloy that is used to help reduce erosion and last longer in the high heat of a silencer.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

Happy AAC 7.62 SD owner here. Love the blackout, brakeout, brake options. Mounts add up (and doesn't come with one) so budget accordingly. It is about 10oz lighter than the phantom, so I think the price differential is worth it. Only about 2oz heavier than M42K and 2" longer. As mentioned, might also look at the 7.62SD-N.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
BLMJ

Post by BLMJ »

+1 Happy, happy 762-SD owner. Great on both my LWRC .308 and Adams Arms AR. Now I am considering another AAC can either the 762-SDN-6 or M4-2000 and they all use the same 51T mounts. I'm leaning toward the 762-SDN now over the M4-2000 since I have been told it is a bit quieter on short barrels and would like to get a short 300 blackout upper.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Your right 82nd..I should have mentioned the Mystic.. :lol: Seriously though its a 9mm can really that can shoot .223 but can't be used for full power .308. While the Mystic is quieter than my Gemtech M402 on my 24'' AR not that many use barrels that long. I mean it did sound really good.. :D But on a 16'' barrel your at 140 db's.

Not to get anyone upset about the YHM stuff..I mean their warrantee is top notch but there is just so many better sounding as well as lighter rifle cans. Hands down for .223 or .308 my personal choice is the Torch and Freedom. (Now those are baffle stacks to get excited about, again super sexy monocores). My personal experiences with the YHM cans (Just did another AR build on a YHM lower and not impressed) as well as what Bendersquint brought up about his .223 YHM can and what 500 rounds did I wouldn't want one since these are papered to you for life. I did just sell my .45 Cobra M2 because it just sat for the last 18 months. Hated shooting wet and keeping this Sig 220 around just for that can didn't make any sense. So quick way to free up 1400 bucks to put towards other NFA goodies.

The square bores of the two Liberty cans are one of the really exciting things. (and the sound is pure sweetness! :P ) With the blast baffle round and the following square then those aren't hit with the blast so no erosion to worry about and cans that will out last many barrels. Not to mention they aren't welded shut so should a baffle strike ever occur the shop guys can get in one and fix it no problem. Endcap hit for example the shop guys could do a new one in half an hour..Not the drama like we've seen in the past with the 380 round that got dropped in the one YHM can(Well what it took to get it out) or the endcap strikes that cost 350 bucks to fix of Gemtech's..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

You wanted tough, The AAC SDN6 is all inconel . :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
thesheepdog

Post by thesheepdog »

Chondro wrote:Your right 82nd..I should have mentioned the Mystic.. :lol: Seriously though its a 9mm can really that can shoot .223 but can't be used for full power .308. While the Mystic is quieter than my Gemtech M402 on my 24'' AR not that many use barrels that long. I mean it did sound really good.. :D But on a 16'' barrel your at 140 db's.

Not to get anyone upset about the YHM stuff..I mean their warrantee is top notch but there is just so many better sounding as well as lighter rifle cans. Hands down for .223 or .308 my personal choice is the Torch and Freedom. (Now those are baffle stacks to get excited about, again super sexy monocores). My personal experiences with the YHM cans (Just did another AR build on a YHM lower and not impressed) as well as what Bendersquint brought up about his .223 YHM can and what 500 rounds did I wouldn't want one since these are papered to you for life. I did just sell my .45 Cobra M2 because it just sat for the last 18 months. Hated shooting wet and keeping this Sig 220 around just for that can didn't make any sense. So quick way to free up 1400 bucks to put towards other NFA goodies.

The square bores of the two Liberty cans are one of the really exciting things. (and the sound is pure sweetness! :P ) With the blast baffle round and the following square then those aren't hit with the blast so no erosion to worry about and cans that will out last many barrels. Not to mention they aren't welded shut so should a baffle strike ever occur the shop guys can get in one and fix it no problem. Endcap hit for example the shop guys could do a new one in half an hour..Not the drama like we've seen in the past with the 380 round that got dropped in the one YHM can(Well what it took to get it out) or the endcap strikes that cost 350 bucks to fix of Gemtech's..

So can you expound on the YHM issues?
TEXMEX
Silent Operator

Post by TEXMEX »

thesheepdog wrote:
So can you advise why the YHM is not a good option? I certainly like their baffle construction compared to say GemTech's crap stack.

So can you expound on Gem Tech's crap stack?
thesheepdog

Post by thesheepdog »

TEXMEX wrote:
thesheepdog wrote:

So can you expound on Gem Tech's crap stack?

One of the GemTech's were tested to go through 8 mags as fast as possible, and it didn't make it, because a roll pin broke, and the baffles are indexed in place b notchesl; no welding.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

AAC .30 can is a good choice for the AR IMHO. I have a thread on Cyclone-K a shorter version of the cyclone. It is lighter shorter and has less blowback than the longer Cyclone.. This makes it a better choice for the AR then the Cyclone.. basically it's a 762SD with a thread mount and straight cut baffles. (more accurate)

I have had excellent results with it. The at ear dB numbers are pretty good for it;s size and weight. On a 5.56 is it pretty good too.

May not be the best for full auto .. (thread on) but I like it. I use it on my bolt guns (223, 260 rem and 308 win) as well as my AR and M16. Would not trade it.

Not having to have mounts is a bonus.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

82nd airborne wrote:
What!? You're not going to tell him about the Mystic?!?!?
Im just messing with you man. But in all seriousness, there are a lot of good .30 cans out there, and for even more versitility, there is the mystic.
WHAT!!! Your not going to tell him about the Arbiter!

BTW I love the mystic and can't wait to get mine but, if I was using it on a 556 all the time I would go with a 30 cal can.

Why is it that no one is giving any love to surefire?
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Surefire makes great silencers, but you pay a heavy premium and many don't feel that you get anything better than, say, an AAC M4-2000 (but the surefires are hundreds more).
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]