After 18 months, Tornado Tech finishes my guns. :D

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

After 18 months, Tornado Tech finishes my guns. :D

Post by Crosshair »

Well, after over 18 months of waiting I got the call yesterday that Tornado Tech has finished threading my 45 ACP Enfield and Saiga .223. I have a FedEx tracking number. Total coast for threading was $252.32...........kidding, they didn't charge me given the "length of time" it had taken. (Goldie is such a sweetie, how can you get mad at her on the phone. :P )

So by next week I should have both of my guns and when I get them put back together I'll be able to give a range report. Once I get them back, the rest of you can start complaining about your wait times again. :wink:
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: After 18 months, Tornado Tech finishes my guns. :D

Post by Wahnsinn »

Well that was awful nice of them, why the wait? Did the guns get lost in transit or something?
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

When you finally get your barrels, check that they weren't used as door stops.... :lol:

You will be happy with their work, but the wait forces me to consider other shops in the future. Heck, I could die and be buried in 3 days, no way I'll ever wait 12+ months again!
NRA Benefactor Member
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

18 months?!?! I know the work was done right but still. There is no way I'd be willing to wait 18 months.

Bookhound just opened up his own precision gun shop and NFA store. I am getting the threads redone on a factory AR barrel and their turn around time was right at 3 weeks. I'll be going to them from now on.

http://accurateordnance.com/
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Crosshair wrote:e" (Goldie is such a sweetie, how can you get mad at her on the phone. :P ):
It would be easy to get mad, as long a time as it took for them to get off their asses and do it. There are no excuses for that s--t, and a free thread job doesn't even come close to being worth it.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

F--k that Noise!

No way I'd wait a year and a half.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Davo5o wrote:F--k that Noise!
This.

It's just threading, what is it people think is so special about them?
Jonas
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jonas »

m1garand30064 wrote:18 months?!?! I know the work was done right but still. There is no way I'd be willing to wait 18 months.

Bookhound just opened up his own precision gun shop and NFA store. I am getting the threads redone on a factory AR barrel and their turn around time was right at 3 weeks. I'll be going to them from now on.

Thanks for the link.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

este wrote:
This.

Around tha time of the last election (2008) many ran out to buy cans thinking that Oidiot was going to ban them. So then there was a rush to have every gun in their collection threaded and when people asked who to send it to TT was usually recommended. At one point TT stopped taking stuff in and people kept sending in their stuff to be threaded anyway.

There are plenty of other guys that do quality work, just poke around or ask. Earlier this year I sent in my Rem 700 SPS to Gemtech, they did a great job and it took two months door to door.

There is a guy called hoop on this board that is supposed to do quality threading, check him out.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

este wrote:
This.

Whooa!

Sure, any machine shop can thread to a drawing, but the problem is that the threading is on a gun. So most machine shops are not able to deal with guns.

And few gunsmiths can thread to a drawing.

TT was certainly special.

The solution is - just stop buying guns that do not have properly threaded barrels.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Get the Manufacturers to have all their models come properly threaded from the factory.

There has been some improvement, but that's not always the case. Then you've got SBRs, where you have to have the barrel cut and rethreaded.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

silencertalk wrote: Whooa!

Sure, any machine shop can thread to a drawing, but the problem is that the threading is on a gun. So most machine shops are not able to deal with guns.

The solution is - just stop buying guns that do not have properly threaded barrels.
I certainly won't even pretend to know better than you. If you say they were special I'll believe it. However, this isn't always complicated stuff, it's usually thread... Then done. If they were backed up because of hard to thread guns like Walther P5, Beretta 87T, SW 41, HK94s, etc than that's one thing. It seems to me even these simple jobs ate taking too long. I know two people I trust to machine barrels for me, there are great machinists in every part of the country, and this there have been people stepping up to take the work from TT, referenced here and other places.

This is the problem with small businesses, at some point you need to go big or go home. Get a few more lathes, a bigger building, more machinists OR stop taking all orders until the que is clear and the waits are reasonable. They didn't do either and now people are advising not to give them business because of the ridiculous wait.

They didn't go big and now their getting a bad reputation no matter how special they actually are.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

For standard stuff, JP grips and machine does your barrels in a few days, the only waiting is shipping there and back. He do Bueno work @ good prices with free shipping back (sometime Priority mail). All my barrels are perfect and never wait more than two weeks from the day I ship. :D

18 months is no good! :cry:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

I just dropped a gun off on Friday, I don't care how long it takes as I know it will be done right. I plan on continuing to support Tornado as my shop of choice as his work is top notch.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

JC Weaponry wrote:I just dropped a gun off on Friday, I don't care how long it takes as I know it will be done right. I plan on continuing to support Tornado as my shop of choice as his work is top notch.
More power to you. A month wait would be at my outer most limit....there are too many qualified 'smiths out there that do great work with great turnaround times for me to use someone like TT.
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

m1garand30064 wrote:Bookhound just opened up his own precision gun shop and NFA store. I am getting the threads redone on a factory AR barrel and their turn around time was right at 3 weeks. I'll be going to them from now on.

Thanks for the info. Mark's a good guy, I bought several things from him at PSI.
kimbershot
Silent Operator

Post by kimbershot »

++++ for jpgrips!! jim did a great job, fast turnaround, super fair price for my thompson center contender 22--cut the barrel,crowned, threaded and fashioned a protective cap with leftover barrel--flawless and it took a week. :mrgreen:
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

JC Weaponry wrote:I just dropped a gun off on Friday, I don't care how long it takes as I know it will be done right. I plan on continuing to support Tornado as my shop of choice as his work is top notch.
Well, I'm sure it's going to help at least a little bit that you ain't a mere mortal considering that your a dealer yourself and you have those fancy initials after your name that the BATFE hands out to those whom deserve it... also add in the fact that you are close enough that you can go pitch a pup tent in the parking lot, and stare at them if they take too long getting your gun back to you!

:lol:

-urban
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

urban assault wrote:
Well, I'm sure it's going to help at least a little bit that you ain't a mere mortal considering that your a dealer yourself and you have those fancy initials after your name that the BATFE hands out to those whom deserve it... also add in the fact that you are close enough that you can go pitch a pup tent in the parking lot, and stare at them if they take too long getting your gun back to you!

:lol:

-urban
It does help with him being my local shop.
Last edited by Abiqua on Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

Abiqua wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote:Bookhound just opened up his own precision gun shop and NFA store. I am getting the threads redone on a factory AR barrel and their turn around time was right at 3 weeks. I'll be going to them from now on.

Thanks for the info. Mark's a good guy, I bought several things from him at PSI.
Absolutely. I am glad I will be able to buy cans from him again. And as far as gunsmiths and machinists go you will have a hard time finding anyone more talented and honest as Jason Nixon and Dave Walker. All of them are great guys and I really hope Accurate Ordnance florishes.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

este wrote:
silencertalk wrote: Whooa!

I certainly won't even pretend to know better than you. If you say they were special I'll believe it. However, this isn't always complicated stuff, it's usually thread... Then done. If they were backed up because of hard to thread guns like Walther P5, Beretta 87T, SW 41, HK94s, etc than that's one thing. It seems to me even these simple jobs ate taking too long. I know two people I trust to machine barrels for me, there are great machinists in every part of the country, and this there have been people stepping up to take the work from TT, referenced here and other places.

This is the problem with small businesses, at some point you need to go big or go home. Get a few more lathes, a bigger building, more machinists OR stop taking all orders until the que is clear and the waits are reasonable. They didn't do either and now people are advising not to give them business because of the ridiculous wait.

They didn't go big and now their getting a bad reputation no matter how special they actually are.

I second that. At least now on their site they are saying they are not taking orders until October. Luckily there are plenty of small outfits that can take up the slack.
LP
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

silencertalk wrote:
este wrote:
Sure, any machine shop can thread to a drawing, .
I know a few shops that can't even do that!
NRA Benefactor Member
prdubi
Silent But Deadly

Post by prdubi »

I continue to support TT no matter what. The wait is worth it to me.

It's a simple peace of mind that it was done right.

Yeah send it to someone else....but I've taken my s--t to classes long and short and my s--t performed fine....without the worry of a baffle strike or POI shift of whatever comes up.

IT WAS DONE RIGHT....

TT new motto for me is PEACE OF MIND...
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

I'll agree with prdubi that TT knows how to do it right. I trust him 100% and that is worth the wait for me. Sure there are OTHER shops, but none that I would trust so much or stand behind with my word.

The fact that he didn't charge the op a cent for the work was reassurance that if something isn't right, they will make it right. That alone is what makes me feel good knowing they are doing the work for me.

I've had PLENTY of bad experiences in the industry, Everyone will at some point, but I haven't had one yet with Tornado.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

You think a free thread job is worth an 18 month wait? Unbelievable. And give me a break on the BS about TT being the only shop that can correctly do barrel threads....that's ignorant as hell. What'd they do, put crack in the kool-aid?