Shooters Depot Carbon Fiber FAIL

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Shooters Depot Carbon Fiber FAIL

Post by snipecatcher »

We all suspected it would happen. Well here it is.

After having to take it in 5 times for repairs, either due to Shooter's Depot's lack of quality control or the poor design of the silencer, I suspected that the aluminum spacers definitely were not helping so George replaced them with stainless which I was charged $100 for. I still did not trust the silencer on my 10" 300 BLK, even firing it slowly.

I have a 22" 6.5x55 with a lightweight barrel that gets pretty hot after about 3 rounds, so I thought this would be the perfect host as I won't shoot more than 3 well aimed shots before allowing for a cool down period. Also it's only using 40 grains of VARGET under a 123 grain bullet, which is less than a 308 load, and it's a smaller caliber, etc. It should have been pretty easy on a 30 caliber silencer.

I took 20 rounds with me that day. Fired 3 at 100 yards, let it cool down. 3 @ 300 yards, 3 @ 400 yards, then 3 @500 yards. I allowed 5 minutes of cool down time between shooting. After this, I wanted to dial in a random range, so I stopped the truck and lasered the target at 238 yards. I went to fire my 13th and final shot of the day. My ears were ringing as I watched my silencer skip across the ground at 30 yards. I don't know if the gunshot was louder because I wasn't expecting it, or because the silencer blew out, but it felt like an explosion.

I made a Youtube video mostly because I want anyone researching Shooter's Depot to find out what they are all about. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T_VgHezrr0

tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Re: Shooters Depot Carbon Fiber FAIL

Post by tsands974 »

Wow... that sucks. At least you're still in one piece (and hopefully the barrel is still okay too!) Thanks for the info
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

Wow, what a POS I hope plenty of folks see this.

ETA: Under related videos it shows another Shooter's Depot in TN, you might want to put in your description their location so they don't get confused. I certainly wouldn't want to be associated with them.
Last edited by Jmark on Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I would sue the incompetent bastard.

Happened just like I predicted.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

But, but, but, "80 times stronger than steel. 40 times stronger than titanium. Half the weight of aluminum. The fastest dissipation of heat. Makes our “LION” suppressor the BEST in the Market BY FAR."

What a bunch of crap.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Cutting threads in cheap automotive grade carbon tube, cutting that thin even! I'm surprised it lasted that long. Glad you aren't seriously hurt!

Do a small claims suit for the amount you have in plus a little for time, no lawyer needed. It'll cost you $50-150 depending on your state and it's easy to do. Something to consider while you wait for your new rifle can stamp.
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

On the plus side, I went out hunting for pigs later that night where I shoot, and for shits and giggles checked the target:

Apparently I dialed in 238 yards correctly, and the bullet was long gone when everything went to hell.

Also,

Before any of this happened, when Aaron at Delta Company heard of my ordeal with Shooter's Depot, he told me that it's BS to have to deal with that for my first silencer. He is going to give me one of the silencers he is coming out with for FREE, all I pay is the stamp. Not only does he have great customer service, he takes up for the lack of customer service from others. I am sure he is feeling even better about his decision to send me a free silencer now, haha. Aaron, I just want to thank you again for being so helpful.

Regards,
-Dan
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

snipecatcher wrote:On the plus side, I went out hunting for pigs later that night where I shoot, and for shits and giggles checked the target:

Apparently I dialed in 238 yards correctly, and the bullet was long gone when everything went to hell.

Also,

Before any of this happened, when Aaron at Delta Company heard of my ordeal with Shooter's Depot, he told me that it's BS to have to deal with that for my first silencer. He is going to give me one of the silencers he is coming out with for FREE, all I pay is the stamp. Not only does he have great customer service, he takes up for the lack of customer service from others. I am sure he is feeling even better about his decision to send me a free silencer now, haha. Aaron, I just want to thank you again for being so helpful.

Regards,
-Dan
Dan!
Wow that sucks!
SN DTZ-00003 is all yours brother!
before I watched the video I was going to say maybe we could turn the SD can into a high volume .22 can just so it wasnt a total loss, but after seeing it Im thinking it may not be worth it!
Sorry for the bad experience man, but Im sure its your fault. There is no way its the makers fault! I mean come on, the can is made out of space age materials, with the ultimate craftsmanship, even if it did break 5 times! Ha!
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Wow that is not the kind of carbon fiber I had in mind when I first heard about these. Looks like the decorative kind you use for trim work etc.. No wonder he uses subs for all his .223 & .308 vids. Though saying they were full power was my first issue with that company. Looking at the construction I can't believe anyone is running these cans. Where is the fancy baffle stack he showed in his vids?

Glad you came out of it okay and that Aaron is gonna hook you up!
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

snipecatcher wrote:On the plus side, I went out hunting for pigs later that night where I shoot, and for shits and giggles checked the target:

Also,

Regards,
-Dan
:D Who knows? It may even be a brand new LavaRed design :P

On a related note, I was utterly amazed to see the tube was simple cross-weave epoxied Carbon Fiber. I'm surprised it held integrity for that long. Even for .22LR I used Fiberglass reinforced Carbon fiber with a fine crossweave and fiberglass coating both inside and outside. And I would never have thought of threading it as there's literally nothing that will allow the threads to hold inegrity except for friction. Ok, I admit I did try to thread a piece of scrap tube just to see if it could be done, but after seeing the results (i.e. the threads crumbling under the smallest load), I would never have tried it on a suppressor.
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Damn, I'm sure sorry to hear about this. I've kept up with your saga and thank you for taking the time to post all this.

Regarding the tube: I thought he used a SS insert glued in for the threads?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

What's most important is that you're unharmed. Second, don't ever, ever, ever give those guys another penny or let anyone you know do so. Third, I'm ordinarily opposed to litigation but I've been following your saga, too, and if they have something to answer for they should.

EDIT: I might as well say I hope that someone from Shooters Depot chimes in here to talk about the quality of their product. Shooters Depot claims to be the best but this looks like a terrible customer experience. It also looks dangerous. Thanks for the after-action review. Hopefully anyone who searches for Shooters Depot or Class III items and Silencers in Corpus Christi will find this thread and the others on this forum.

Bonus points to anyone who understands SEO.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

'Recycleyourpets' has replied to the Youtube video. You may remember that handle from the ongoing Shooter's Depot thread on this site. George claims to not give a damn what people say on the internet, but he sure does get wind of whats going on pretty quickly. I'm not going to sue them because the thought of dealing with or ever seeing George again pisses me off. I'm just going to let it go and do my best to relate my story to others.
-Dan
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Damn. Sorry to see your can (and time and money) get wasted - but glad you're OK.

Unfortunately, this exact scenario has been predicted by many, and I can't say I'm all that surprised.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

Well, it looks like "recycleyourpets" stayed up all night replying to the Youtube video. It's definitely George. Just read some of the comments about pressure/thread job, etc. and you will see why it is impossible to argue with him. He had the same arguments when it just about blew up on the 300 BLK. He doesn't seem to understand that if even if a round was massively overpressure, it would lock up the bolt/blow out the brass, but would still be within the pressure limitations of a good silencer. Pretty tough to do that when you weigh each charge, then check each one before seating bullets, etc. Oh well, I'm off to work.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Just remember... Never say that you're going to sue. When folks say that they are going to sue, it's like saying that they are about to throw a punch.

Sue or Sue-not.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

What fucking idiot threads a CF tube?!? Hahahahahaha. Id sue him for endangering my life. Ill put money down that he couldn't prove any of his claims against a expert in court.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
tomz34
Elite Member

Post by tomz34 »

IIRC when Larry at CCF was manufacturing his carbon fiber pistol can, (B&T design), he used some type of glue/expoxy to secure the endcaps in place. I had heard reports of peoples endcaps coming off and the internals launching downrange back then. I can't believe Shooters Depot would think a rifle can made of carbon fiber would hold up to the pressure of a rifle round. Obviously not much time was spent on R&D. Glad to see you weren't hurt.
Knowledge is Power... Sharing Knowledge is Freedom.
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

I have been thinking... yes, surprisingly I am able to think :lol: . For quite some time I've wondered if it is possible to manufacture at least a centerfire pistol suppressor that could use a carbon fiber external outer tube, as my research has led me to believe that carbon fiber does offer some sound and heat-dampening advantages vis-a-vis metals as a tube material.

I believe it can be done. I am working on it, and very possibly in the future you might have a CF suppressor available. But this is definitely not the way to do it, and the choice of CF variety for the tube is, to say the least, quite noobish.

Thank you,
LavaRed
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Good point, why not use it as an outer tube similar to the Sparrow or MK9K, where nothing screws to it, but is held in place by the end caps and the core.
wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

Put a link on the you tube video

Pointing to all the threads ,where those fantastic claims are shoot to pieces
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Post by dj_fatstyles »

good thing that youre okay. i almost tossed money down on one of the aries systems. im glad i didnt.

any chance of the guts being torn out and shown to the rest of us now that its more or less trashed.
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

Wahnsinn wrote:Good point, why not use it as an outer tube similar to the Sparrow or MK9K, where nothing screws to it, but is held in place by the end caps and the core.
I did that with a .22LR monocore suppressor already. But I have a better idea that would allow it to be used for more powerful cartridges, if everything goes right.
snipecatcher
Silent But Deadly

Post by snipecatcher »

dj_fatstyles wrote:good thing that youre okay. i almost tossed money down on one of the aries systems. im glad i didnt.

any chance of the guts being torn out and shown to the rest of us now that its more or less trashed.

It's not even worth taking pictures of. If youve seen the "DIY Freeze Plug Build" you've seen the internals to my silencer. It consists of slightly convex washers and seamed tubing for spacers. The spacers are probably exhaust pipe. The seams are pretty large and ugly.
wi75
Silent But Deadly

Post by wi75 »

gay. won't buy that kinda crap! hope you get something out of it!