Liberty mystic+ruger 77/357 = 300 black killer

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Re: Liberty mystic+ruger 77/357 = 300 black killer

Post by glocker17 »

Keep us posted on the heavies, Thanks
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

I was finally able to run some of the 300 grainers through my chrono. Distance was 10' from chrono. No suppressor. I didn't check for stability either. I wanted to see if this was worth pursuing first.

I only shot one of the original 300 grainers that showed high pressure signs with 4.3gr W231 it ran across the screens at 842.5 fps

I reduced the load to 4.0gr with the same 300 grain bullets. 5 shot average only yielded 803 fps. Too slow.

At this point I need some help. Is it possible to get these up to near 1000 fps without signs of pressure? I just don't think the case capacity is there.

As a side note I shot some store bought 357 mag 158 fmj and recorded a 3 shot average of 1431 fps out of my 10" barrel! Still pretty impressive.

My standard 247 gr load gave me a 5 shot average of 992.4 fps. Hard to beat this.

If you have a long 16" barrel the 4.0 gr load might work. It was still showing flat primers but the extra length might get the numbers up past 900fps.

Can anyone with quickload plug this in and see if there is a powder available to get me near 1000? I would even take 900.
Last edited by peytont on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

Peytont,
JohninNH & I tried one 300 grain load in my 16" 77/357. Was yawing significantly inside of 15 feet. Don't recall the exact load (though I'd wager it was using American Select or Lil Gun powder) & we didn't chrono it.
loonieloomie

Post by loonieloomie »

Peytont--What Rings are you using on the 77/357. Mine came with the 5K-high rings. I'm going to send them back to Ruger.
I have the same scope as you, and would like it to set as low as it can. Are you using the 3k-Low or 4k-med rings

thanks
loonieloomie
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

I'm pretty certain they are the low rings. I'll check tonight. I like a strong cheekweld. If you push real hard you can get the bolt knob to touch the scope bell but its minor.

On a side note. I shot the last few of the 300 grainers through my suppressor they sounded great. Must of been stable, no baffle strikes. The pressures were still to high though. Even at only 800 fps they sailed right through a 6"x6" wooden post. The 247 grainers at 1000 fps wouldn't make it all the way through. I just need a touch more case capacity.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

I know this thread is almost a year old, but, Is the set up still working good for you?

If you had to do it over, would you?

The reason I ask is I am very interested in this set up and want to make sure my money will be well spent. I really like the idea of suppressing the 357mag since I use the 357mag for most of what I hunt.

Thanks for your time
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

Funny you should ask, I've been trying to break my can open for two days finally managed after some persuasion. Yes I've encountered a couple problems:
i) lead build up in my can
I've never seen lead build up like this on a centerfire bolt gun can, yes I'm shooting lead bullets, but this much!
BEFORE
AFTER

ii) accuracy issues caused by the above mentioned lead build up.

This is only after 500 rnds or so of hunter's 247gr cast bullets. I'm most likely going to switch to hornady 180 xtp's and see how they perform. I hate cleaning.
Other than the build up its been a great setup. Its quiet, handy, cheap to shoot, and is effective on game.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

^^ good lord! Toss that Mystic into the dip.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Thank you for replying. Some more questions if you don't mind,

Are you using GC (gas check) on your bullets? Not sure if you help at all

Have you used the same weight/manufacture, hardness, bullet all 500? I roll my own 180's GC from wheel weights and would like to use those over store bought jackets.

I will not be going the SBR route, Did you get the same lead build up with the 16" barrel?

As you can tell I am new to the Suppressor world. I have friends that have a 22lr can and don't have much leading and I am not sure how often they clean (or they are not telling the truth)

Thanks for your time again, Kanook
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

Kanook wrote:Thank you for replying. Some more questions if you don't mind,

Are you using GC (gas check) on your bullets? Not sure if you help at all

Have you used the same weight/manufacture, hardness, bullet all 500? I roll my own 180's GC from wheel weights and would like to use those over store bought jackets.

I will not be going the SBR route, Did you get the same lead build up with the 16" barrel?

As you can tell I am new to the Suppressor world. I have friends that have a 22lr can and don't have much leading and I am not sure how often they clean (or they are not telling the truth)

Thanks for your time again, Kanook
No GC's, I suspect that would make a big difference with the leading.

Same bullets for all 500+ the 247gr Hunters.

I don't remember there being as much lead on the longer barrel but my load hasn't changed at all from the long to short.

To be honest I just went way to long between suppressor cleanings.
Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

Thanks for the info. I believe that you just cost me around $1,600. My wife want one for herself. :?
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Here's my clone, currently wears an Octane HD.

I have settled on 190 cast over 4.2gr of Titegroup. Shoots well under 2" at 100 yards. I may work up a full power 180 XTP load as well.

As previously stated "its awesome".

Kanook
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Kanook »

One more question (for now). Did you stay with 1/2x28 or did you go to 5/8x24 ?

I remember you posted that 1/2x28 was to get a grip at legal 16", was wondering if at 10" it had enough for 5/8x24 and you still went with 1/2
buckgunner
Silent Operator

Post by buckgunner »

TAG
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

Kanook wrote:One more question (for now). Did you stay with 1/2x28 or did you go to 5/8x24 ?

I remember you posted that 1/2x28 was to get a grip at legal 16", was wondering if at 10" it had enough for 5/8x24 and you still went with 1/2

1/2x28 for mine, long and short
bkoski
Silent Operator

Post by bkoski »

Nice looking rifles gentlemen!

Can't remember if I have asked here or not, but I have the stamp for my 77/357 SBR now and am wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a reputable gunsmith to do the cut and thread job? I'm in the Kansas City area if that helps. I've been sitting on this project for a while and have now decided I want to start reloading, this would be a great setup for that so it's time to finally get the thing chopped!

-BK
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Post by glocker17 »

Got mine done in dallas, but should not take anything special to do. 1/2x28 for sure, as 5/8x24 would limit you to certain cans only.

I have a load on 4.2gr of Titegroup and a 190 cast that shoots great.
Deja vu
Silent Operator

Post by Deja vu »

Been playing with the big 300 grain bullets. With a good dose of power pistol I got mine to about 930 FPS. but I shot a few in to a paper target taped to a piece of cardboard and I was getting a bit of keyhole.

I tried upping the powder/speed a bit more but ran in to pressure signs on the primers.

p.s. I also tried H110 but the velocity was all over the place. I hear its not a good powder to experiment with.

Still shopping for a suppressor. Would you still suggest the Liberty Mystic? I see its now the Mystic X.
bkoski
Silent Operator

Post by bkoski »

I was originally going to use my 45 and 9 Ospreys with my build. Unfortunately that limits me to jacketed ammo only since they are sealed cans. I'm going to go with the Mystic X, as it is a take apart can, and is also rated for full power .357 Magnum which I will occasionally shoot from this rifle. Unless someone has a better solution?
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

What about using Powder Coated cast lead? I have shot a few through my Isis-9 and haven't noticed any leading.

On a similar note, here is my suppressed .357; its more for fun than for serious use, but still pretty cool!

Found a local guy who had the action wrench to pull the barrel. He shortened it to 18" and threaded it. I shortened the mag tube and moved the barrel band/front sight back. It shoot great, is nice and quiet and always draws big grins from those who shoot it!
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

Nice looking lever gun - but what's the twist rate on your barrel?
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Deja vu
Silent Operator

Post by Deja vu »

Any updates on the 300 grain bullets? I tried again with a few different powders and could not get them above the high 800 to the low 900s with out being afraid of pressure (sticky extraction and occasionally primer flowing).

I know I can go heavier with my suppressed 45-70 but i like using cast lead and the 45-70 silencer is sealed. Every time I use it I kick my self but it was the first can I ever bought.
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

I've been following this thread for a while now; it was the inspiration to buy my Mystic, and to do a Form 1 for the same purpose while waiting for the Mystic.

That lever gun is sweet!

I haven't messed with the 300 grain bullets, but powdercoating them will definitely take care of the leading; if done right it should eliminate the leading completely. I only shoot powdercoated lead any more, and have found nothing but powder fouling in my cans.

I originally was going to use a .357 rifle, but after messing with it a little, decided to go bigger, with a 35 Remington. This is still very quiet, but also gives nearly 308 power when desired. I'm using 6.0gr Bullseye under my own 255gr cast hollow point, or 3.6gr Bullseye under a 140gr cast hollow point. The 140gr load is pretty much hollywood quiet; the 255gr load is a little louder, but still significantly quieter than my suppressed 9mm Glock with the same can. The 255gr worked great on a whitetail this fall; complete pass through, turning the lungs to pulp and removing the top chunk of the heart.

I shortened this old 760 to 16" and installed my own brake/QD device, then parkerized and slicked up the moving parts with bake-on teflon/moly. I may convert it to .358 Winchester, since the difference in case capacity is insignificant for subsonics, but will give more power on the top end.