Looking for the quietest rimfire host (Vid)

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Looking for the quietest rimfire host (Vid)

Post by Chondro »

This was the plan when I started that thread awhile back but then never got together with my buddy to get the rest of the hosts needed as well as his TL. We used two Liberty Kodiak TL's and tested making sure they both sounded the same and then moved through the hosts. We already had it figured how it was going to turn out and the order we were going to run through them all but the Ruger beat out ones we just hadn't counted on. Doing this all the same day really was a shock..

When you have 7 mins.. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-wgZmiXp0
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for the quietest rimfire host (Vid)

Post by Historian »

Fun to watch.
Thanks for showing.
Informative as usual.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Gsg jam twice. Ruger for the win. :lol:

Also which train was more quiet? :lol:

Nice vid, I try to do the same with different cans for the ear test.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Nice vid! Thanks for the comparison. I bought a gsg and ruger mk III while waiting on my prodigy. Sounds like i made a good choice :)
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I was surprised the GSG beat out the MK II. Chondro, would you mind doing a review of the GSG? I have a Ruger MKIII 22/45, but it's still not exactly the same as a 1911 and I'm trying to become more comfortable with that platform.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

No bolt-action host? If you want the quietist host, bolt-action is where its at.
mtelkman
Senior Silent Operator

Post by mtelkman »

Thanks for the video testing. Looked like fun. It was hard to audibly tell any significant difference through the video. Did you do any ranking of best to worst hosts?
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Thanks guys. That was really just to find the quietest pistol host. Yes a bolt gun will do it every time..

If you put on headphones when you listen to the vid you can hear it all much clearer..Actually thats what I'm going to do to figure out then the order of loudest host to the GSG..

The GSG is fun but I traded mine in for that Buckmark..It just didn't get shot..after about 500 rounds it was just the hammer drop and no bang so finally took it apart and stoned everything and put it back together and got it working..But not the most accurate..lots of shattered firing pins from what I'm hearing..

Funny thing is that train is well over a mile away..damn things..

If I can remember to get my buddy to leave his GSG here I'll review it..It is his favorite right now..

What I got out of the video is just use the host you enjoy the most as they are all so close it doesn't matter as nearly as much as thought. Though we were using the TL's.. :P Not all cans work that way..Just the longer the barrel the better they sound for the most part..

BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

Great video! Just the kind of info we need.

On a side note, it may have been the camera angle but it appeared as if the two of you came close to sweeping each other on a few occasions. (Sorry, I tend to be a bit anal about things like that given my background)
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Glad you liked it.. :D Yeah its the camera angle..I thought about moving it after we did the two Rugers for the baseline but then the sound wouldn't be right. So we just left it where it was and tried to make sure that people could see what the hosts were as well as have the slides back with the mags in our hands. But that didn't come out to well either. I should add something in the description. But I don't think anyone reads those.

On a side note when Ruger came out with the Mark 3 and I had realized the Lawyers got their grubby hands in the design I really wanted to find another and was having no luck. (Wasn't shooting anymore at that time but knew I would get back to it) I got one as a birthday gift and I'm sitting at the end of the table holding it out(getting the feel of it etc..) and it looks like I'm pointing it right at my fiances head sitting 3 feet ahead of me..Just a horrible picture.. :lol: Crap now that she took off I better find that one.. :shock:

Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Chondro,
Have you done a sound comparison of the Browning Buckmark vs the Ruger 22/45?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

No I don't have or know anyone that has a 22/45. After seeing how light this trail lite upper is on my Buckmark it got me thinking I should get a 22/45 with a paclite upper..Man that would be a super lightweight set up with a Liberty Essence. :shock:

I would think it’s a safe bet to say it should do exactly like the Ruger Mark II's did here...Same length barrel..same steel on steel action..

As far as recommending guns taking from this little experiment the 22/45 from now on will be my first choice..As long as I'm not overlooking anything in the polymer construction as far as wear points that would cause premature failure..I have a Ruger Mark I that I graduated to when I was 5 and that has well over a 100,000 through it and hasn't even been resprung yet..The P-22 and GSG have a limited lifetime..Actually by the looks of it the Buckmark does as well but its a really cool host, as well as a great shooter!

I really thought the P-22 beat the Ruger by a good margin..it must have been one of those quiet days when I first tried it out..

I'm gonna look at the 22/45 that just came in my Gunshop this week with just the rails..I'm taking possession of a Ruger integral real soon and man its hard to justify a fourth.. :?

Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

No worry of the 22/45 frame wearing out sooner than steel.

You think the new (younger) Ruger would make the threaded model the traditional way. (mkII) :roll: major scew up.

The Browning is open on both sides so louder.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Chondro wrote:No I don't have or know anyone that has a 22/45. After seeing how light this trail lite upper is on my Buckmark it got me thinking I should get a 22/45 with a paclite upper..Man that would be a super lightweight set up with a Liberty Essence. :shock:

I would think it’s a safe bet to say it should do exactly like the Ruger Mark II's did here...Same length barrel..same steel on steel action..

As far as recommending guns taking from this little experiment the 22/45 from now on will be my first choice..As long as I'm not overlooking anything in the polymer construction as far as wear points that would cause premature failure..I have a Ruger Mark I that I graduated to when I was 5 and that has well over a 100,000 through it and hasn't even been resprung yet..The P-22 and GSG have a limited lifetime..Actually by the looks of it the Buckmark does as well but its a really cool host, as well as a great shooter!

I really thought the P-22 beat the Ruger by a good margin..it must have been one of those quiet days when I first tried it out..

I'm gonna look at the 22/45 that just came in my Gunshop this week with just the rails..I'm taking possession of a Ruger integral real soon and man its hard to justify a fourth.. :?
You wouldn't need a paclite upper for the 22/45 if you bought the threaded model unless you were looking to keep the weight down.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

CZ Kadet
Go Hoos!!!!