Threaded 1911 conversions or ruger mark 3

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

kimbershot
Silent Operator

Threaded 1911 conversions or ruger mark 3

Post by kimbershot »

i'm considering one of the new ruger mark 3's with a threaded barrel or a conversion for my 1911 valor. price on the conversions is much higher than the ruger. i will be using my thompson machine zephyr xl suppressor.

my experience with rugers is that they can shoot just about anything you can feed them. i believe that the ruger will keep just about everything subsonic.

the conversions--marvel/tac sol--i understand they could be finicky with ammo. i have a ton of federal bulk that i bought for cheap. is it a doable combination to cycle and would the rounds stay subsonic?

anybody have experience with the conversions? care to opine? :?:
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Re: Threaded 1911 conversions or ruger mark 3

Post by rockman96 »

1911 conversions can be aggravating. The Rugers are great, I have a couple myself, but they are sill not a 1911. Get a GSG1911-22....it looks/feels/handles just like a real 1911, the price is right, and they shoot great. Very reliable, even with low powered rounds IME.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

kimbershot wrote: the conversions--marvel/tac sol--i understand they could be finicky with ammo. i have a ton of federal bulk that i bought for cheap. is it a doable combination to cycle and would the rounds stay subsonic?

anybody have experience with the conversions? care to opine? :?:
Bulk pack ammo will go super sonic in ~5" barrels. Most 1911 conversions are ~5" barrels.
The Mark 3 22/45 Threaded barrel version is short enough to keep the bulk ammo subsonic.

I haven't had any ammo related issues with my Marvel 1911 conversion (I shoot mostly Aguila subsonic, Federal and Winchester bulk pack)

You will get tired of converting your 1911 back and forth. If you dedicate a 1911 lower, you will have one sweet 1911 (That is what I did) however, it will be more expensive that way.

The cheap 1911 .22's seam to get good reviews, but between one of them and the Ruger, I'd get the Ruger. It's cheap, has plenty of third party parts to tweak them and they are very good guns.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

I have both the ruger and the sig branded gsg, For the 1911 feel the gsg wins by a mile. My gsg will eat federal bulk all day long, as a matter of fact its been just as reliable as my ruger, but it does have a lot less round count probably half only because I got it a lot later. I shoot it way more then my ruger but once the newness wears off its probably going to be about even depending on if I want a 1911 feel that day or a red dot site. lol In SHTF scenario I would take the ruger but only because of the red dot I have on it and I trust its build quality more even though the gsg hasnt shown me any reason not to trust it, the diff in materials will always be in the back of my mind. Also my ruger is lighter with the paclite barrel but thats going to be mitigated with the stock steel ruger upper.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Slight thread highjack, how do you like your Dan Wesson? I've been looking hard at the Valor for the last few months...
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill every person you meet."
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I'll join the GSG/Sig 1911 22 group. I have both (same guns) and love them. Also have a Ruger 22/45 which is nice. I prefer to shoot the GSG's.

Chondro posted a video comparing several .22 hosts using a Liberty TL can, and the GSG seemed to be the best.

Oh, and I personally do not like the conversion units. Just a pita.
paperhunter
Silent Operator

Post by paperhunter »

you can buy the threaded Ruger MKIII I have posted on Gunbroker. It's perfect, I just like shooting my Sig 226 .22 better.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =256642920
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

Cant wait to see the new Browning .22.

Downsized 1911 all steel. The only thing is the $700 price tag.

Surely itll be worth it!
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

http://www.browning.com/products/intera ... arms/1911/

I found the browning and it does look nice, but being so much smaller will make it less familiar when you compare it to a real 1911. I also wonder if the barrel can accept and adapter for a suppressor. It does look nice, but I would lean towards the GSG 1911-22.
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Post by SRM »

shootertom wrote:http://www.browning.com/products/intera ... arms/1911/

I found the browning and it does look nice, but being so much smaller will make it less familiar when you compare it to a real 1911. I also wonder if the barrel can accept and adapter for a suppressor. It does look nice, but I would lean towards the GSG 1911-22.
Got to lookin and they are 7075 aluminum and msrp of 599.
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

They just look way too small! Why take a replica gun and scale it down?
panzertruppe
Silent Operator

Post by panzertruppe »

In a similar dilemna,

Ruger MK 3 with threads, GSG with threads, or Glock Tac Solutions conversion w/ threaded barrel.

Ruger will eat anything, a friend seconded what everyone here has said about the GSG 1911, and the conversions DON'T eat everything although they're easier to convert versus the 1911 conversions.

I've decided to go w/ the Ruger or GSG. My only issue with the GSG is you need the adaptor for the smaller/European/metric thread... What's one of those costing? If it's reasonable, i believe I'll go the GSG 1911 route. Diff in price here is just 29.00, plus the adaptor for a Mite....

panzertruppe
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

http://www.silencerco.com/store/index.p ... ector.html

Heres one from silencer co. It would work great. Ill be getting the GSG with this adapter myself.
panzertruppe
Silent Operator

Post by panzertruppe »

Good call shooter tom,

That will do the trick... The gun is 329 at my source, the non tactical version is 319... Decisions, decisions.... Thanks for the direction...

panzertruppe
doubleajaybrock
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubleajaybrock »

I just bought one of the New threaded barrel MKIII 22/45's w/ irons last night.
-Form 1 SBR AR
-AAC Ti-rant 45
-Silencerco 22 Sparrow
-AAC 762 SDN-6
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I have the MKIII with a Tac Sol Pac Lite upper and it works very well. I also have the mag safety delete in mine so it has a much better trigger than my GSG. Subsonics are quieter than bulk pack stuff. Winchester T22 is relatively cheap subsonic ammo. I've found the subsonics to be less reliable when the Ruger is dirty. Bulk federal seems to function reliably all the time.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Can't go wrong with the Rugers..I have a Mark 1 that has at least 120,000 rounds through it and that was with the one original mag it came with..Old man was to cheap to buy extras when I was a kid..It's never even been resprung or touched in anyway..

GSG won for sound..But what we got from this was that they are all so close that you may as well just go with what feels best and you enjoy the most..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO-wgZmiXp0
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"