A.P.B. Stolen Suppressors

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Re: A.P.B. Stolen Suppressors

Post by strobro32 »

Nothing new.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Guess who's suppressors are in this picture from Operation Trapdoor? The two in the far right lower corner. My Thompson Machine QMF45 and a SWR HEMS2. Only two of my cans were recovered. Just got the call tonight. In a few months those two cans will be on the way home to me.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local...er-bust/nPgTN/
Last edited by strobro32 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jradz
Silent Operator

Post by jradz »

strobro32 wrote:Guess who's suppressors are in this picture from Operation Trapdoor? The two in the far left lower corner. My Thompson Machine QMF45 and a SWR HEMS2. Only two of my cans were recovered. Just got the call tonight. In a few months those two cans will be on the way home to me.

Link doesn't work.

Congrats on getting two back! Hopefully the rest follow!
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Yes please post the serial numbers. These things will end up anywhere. I'll keep your serial kist with me in my gun bag and will check others cans at the range. Discreetly of course.

Death to the thief :evil:
Not a bad idea. I'll do the same
everyusernametaken
Senior Silent Operator

Post by everyusernametaken »

strobro32 wrote:Guess who's suppressors are in this picture from Operation Trapdoor? The two in the far right lower corner. My Thompson Machine QMF45 and a SWR HEMS2. Only two of my cans were recovered. Just got the call tonight. In a few months those two cans will be on the way home to me.

Wow, a TEC9? Old school. :wink:
Vesper
Silent Operator

Post by Vesper »

THis is so fucked, I feel for you amigo.

My wife and I were robbed ourselves. The criminal made off with my Beretta 92FS and a 32 round mag. Also cleaned me out with regards to electronics.

Long story short, dumbass was pulled over fleeing police on a separate event, all my stuff was in his trunk. Still not enough to convict, WTF. I was able to have Best Buy dig for a receipt on an xbox I bought 9 months prior, I was able to show to the police that the xbox he had pawned was mine via serial # on receipt. Only then were they able to charge him for it. The police literally couldn't do anything until I stepped up and worked with BB to find that receipt in their system.

My gun was never recovered. I still think about it to this day! Piece of s--t! He's still in jail which makes me happy. That was years ago now.
Host: M41A Pulse Rifle
Can: Jelly Donut
OJB4
Silent But Deadly

Post by OJB4 »

WOW! Guess I need to better secure my cans and a few of my guns. No super cool guns here yet but I'd be pissed to lose just that cheap .410 crack barrel I have. Glad something is coming back to you. Even though it's a small token of what was taken.
I've gotta stop this habit.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Damn that's been a long time.

So did you replace them already? What happens to the insurance money?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Insurance covered 1/3 of my total property loss. I asked my IC if I would need to notify them if they were ever recovered. They said no.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Congratulations!

Good things happen to good guys eventually.
Glad you got some back.

And may the perp be the main act at a propane and pliers cookout!
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

strobro32

First things first, get your documentation together and make sure your tax accountant KNOWS you have a casualty and theft loss. You get to deduct that on your 1040 if you itemize your deduction. If you did have that much stolen it could save you from income taxes last year. A lot of people forget about that.

Secondly, big KUDOS to you for coming back and giving us all an update. I trust your other items will turn up with time.
doubloon wrote:Damn that's been a long time.

So did you replace them already? What happens to the insurance money?
If the items stolen were a ring, tv, or something like that.... generally you have to either return "that part" of the money or surrender the item to the insurance companies. Insured chooses.

A few things:
Because suppressors/SBRs require special licensing, most of the time the insurance company doesn't want to deal with it. Besides, what can an insurance company expect to recover in resale value trying to sell a used suppressor that requires licensing that they can't hold in their possession because of NFA laws. The costs of screwing around with the item paying adjusters, attorneys, wait time (etc.) results in it not being worth their while. However, I imagine if one of the items covered by the claim and recovered was a $40,000 Class III item... the insurance company would want to work something out based on their legitimate contract rights under the policy.

Because he was subject to his policy limitation on firearms and only received a portion of his loss.... he was essentially "not paid" for that specific suppressor but instead received his policy limit. The company has no rights to recover if he gets a small portion back.

I had one case where a diamond tennis bracelet was scheduled and lost. 5 years later it turned up when replacing the front porch with a deck. BECAUSE OF THE INSURED'S HONESTY the insurance company thanked them for their inquiry and told them to forget about it. Normally they don't do that, but I think they were in shock that everyone from the deck contractor employee, the contractor doing the job, and the insured... was honest about finding the item and inquired as to return of said item.

Edit: I see the loss was in 2011. You might want to talk to your tax preparer about filing an amended 2011 return if it turns out you can get some taxes back....

Edit2: Read this about buying insurance on your guns to prevent from ending up without enough coverage:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=48250&p=807413&hil ... ce#p807413
-----
Ick
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

3, 906 rounds of ammunition
205 handguns
33 Rifles
25 Shotguns
7 Sawed-off Shotguns
2 National Firearms Act Silencers
2 Ballistic Vests
3 Smoke Grenades
The only two silencers recovered were yours. Hopefully this will give the ATF a place to start on tracking down the other stuff you lost.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ick wrote: A few things:
Because suppressors/SBRs require special licensing, most of the time the insurance company doesn't want to deal with it. Besides, what can an insurance company expect to recover in resale value trying to sell a used suppressor that requires licensing that they can't hold in their possession because of NFA laws. The costs of screwing around with the item paying adjusters, attorneys, wait time (etc.) results in it not being worth their while. However, I imagine if one of the items covered by the claim and recovered was a $40,000 Class III item... the insurance company would want to work something out based on their legitimate contract rights under the policy.
There are companies that do deal with the collection and resale of the items in the firearms category.

We have been approached by 3 different insurance companies to act as intermediaries for the collection of insurance paybacks from recoveries. They said it is rare to deal with NFA but in that event thats why they want an SOT to assist we were also asked to deal with Title1 as well.

It is probably not the case but just saying that it DOES happen, and getting some of the money back is better than none of the money.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Bendersquint wrote:
ick wrote: A few things:
There are companies that do deal with the collection and resale of the items in the firearms category.

We have been approached by 3 different insurance companies to act as intermediaries for the collection of insurance paybacks from recoveries. They said it is rare to deal with NFA but in that event thats why they want an SOT to assist we were also asked to deal with Title1 as well.

It is probably not the case but just saying that it DOES happen, and getting some of the money back is better than none of the money.
Agreed.
-----
Ick
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Great news! When I first spotted the update, I was hoping the M11 was in there too... hopefully that will turn up soon as well (and your other stuff too).
Sdustin
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sdustin »

It's a night mare that we/you spend our life collecting customizing and using these firearms. To us they are much more than a gat, or a chopper. And these low life ass holes come a take what you have spent a life time to create. It's sickening. I hole they are pounded in the ass Daliy, I'm sorry for you loss. And the worst part is it not like these are tv's or CDs or anything you can just replace now, it take years to find customize shoot sight in enjoy and make them yours. I'm sorry that's all I can say.
When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Hopefully the ATF can waterboard the dudes they got your cans from to get some more info. Sorry for your loss, hopefully they keep finding stuff.
MrM2hb

Post by MrM2hb »

I need to spend the weekend securing my stuff better.
I am surprised more stuff has not been found. I hope you get it all back.
Keep us updated.