Standard suppressor mounts and taper lok barrels

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bummedic

Standard suppressor mounts and taper lok barrels

Post by bummedic »

Thanks in advance everyone... my suppressors are in jail, but I'm trying to be as prepared as possible... that being said, thanks for the add to the community, and I hope to continue learning a lot...

My question is regarding standard suppressor mounts (those designed to bottom out and torque on the barrel shoulder or muzzle crown) and a taper barrel design. I have a Sig M400 300BLK factory AR pistol upper that I would like to use as a suppressor host for my YHM 7.62 Phantom LT (bought through your site :-). The YHM mount is a standard QD design flash hider that does not require timing, and they state to mount directly torqued to shoulder or muzzle crown at 25 ft-lb. The Sig M400 barrel is a taper lok design, and the factory flash hider is a three prong flat design that uses an included taper cap. Sig CS says to use the taper cap with a standard suppressor mount, whereas YHM CS says to bottom out and torque directly to the muzzle crown and avoid the cap in an effort to avoid malalignment and suppressor strikes much like the concern with crush washers. In your experience, does the taper cap behave like a crush washer and should it be avoided? I would prefer bottoming out of that rather than the muzzle crown, but want to be safe in doing whatever needs to be done.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Re: Standard suppressor mounts and taper lok barrels

Post by rimshaker »

Ok i had to watch a recent youtube video to make sure I understood what's going on with this so-called taper cap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFO8QlE734

That kinda looks iffy to me. Sig parts quality and manufacturing tolerances are no doubt top notch. But still, at best this introduces tolerance stacking.
Maybe a threaded taper cap design would be more secure and exact. Much like the threaded spacers for 22LR barrels.

I'm gonna go with what YHM says. Unless Sig can absolutely guarantee that their taper cap design is approved for silencer mounting.
But it seems like the taper cap is just for simple muzzle devices.

Oh and welcome to the forums!
bummedic

Re: Standard suppressor mounts and taper lok barrels

Post by bummedic »

I've also received a response from silencer shop, and they also gave a resounding "yes" to use the taper cap with any standard mount. So that's two to one. I'm going to go to a local smith of mine who's been around forever and who has a robust suppressor business and get yet another opinion. Thanks again!