Small,effective Suppressor for my CCW gun. What R my options

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

daredwit

Small,effective Suppressor for my CCW gun. What R my options

Post by daredwit »

Haven't bought anything yet so my options are wide open. Thinking I am most likely to use my CCW pistol in a vehicle or indoors and can't imagine the deafening report of gunfire in a confined space. Would like to get a relatively concealable pistol/suppressor combo for personal carry. Was thinking about a Titanium AWC Abraxas and Glock 26. My only concern there is (and this may sound dumb)with the Abraxas being a wet can....wouldn't the grease leak out with the gun being carried muzzle down?

What other pistol/suppressor combos can fellow board members recommend for concealed carry. FYI: I am in a winter wasteland so will most likely carry in a shoulder holster with parka or Carhart outerwear. Greatly appreciate any and all responses.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Re: Small,effective Suppressor for my CCW gun. What R my opt

Post by strobro32 »

I just got this email today. Maybe it could be of some use to you.

"Good morning,

You are receiving this email because you are on the waiting list for the DB380 suppressors. We received them late last week and are ready to start the paperwork to get them transferred out. There are 100 suppressors currently available, however there are only 47 threaded barrels ready for immediate shipment. More to be produced in the next few weeks.

Barrels and suppressors are available separately or as a package. For the purpose of this list I am assuming you want the package (brl & suppressor) for your DB380. The threads on the barrel are not industry standard threads so you will need a DB threaded barrel if you want the suppressor, and the suppressor we offer is the only one that can be used with our barrel.

If you only want a barrel or suppressor instead of the package please specify that in your reply email.

All suppressors will be sold to and transferred through an FFL. If you are an individual I will need the information listed below. Retail price for the suppressor package is $469.95.

Payment from the dealer to Diamondback will be required before the suppressors ship. Transfer paperwork takes 2-6 weeks to process from the time I send it in. I will fill out the papers and send them in within 2 business days of receiving all the information I need from the dealer. Once I file the paperwork I can give you the serial number of the suppressor being held for you.

I will need the following information;

-For individuals without an FFL:

1. The number of DB380 suppressor packages (suppressor and barrel) you wish to purchase

2. Your full name, address, and phone number

3. The name and phone number of the FFL (dealer) you want your suppressor to transfer through so I can contact them to get all the paperwork I need to start the transfer. Diamondback will sell the suppressors to your dealer and you will then make the final purchase from them.

-For dealers:

1. The number of DB380 suppressor packages you wish to purchase

2. Your FFL and tax stamp papers. Our fax is 321-704-8289, please be sure to send everything to my attention.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Have a great day!!

Standing By,

Jason Goodman – Director, Sales & Marketing

Diamondback Firearms

4135 Pine Tree Place, Cocoa, FL 32926

888.380.2767 office - 321.704.8289 fax - 321.474.8874 cell"
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

daredwit wrote:Greatly appreciate any and all responses.
Okay, if you're sure... have you considered the legal ramifications? Have you looked into state and local laws where you live? Have you gotten a feel for the overall outlook of police and other citizens where you live?

As far as any suggestions to brand, I'd be looking closely at a Thompson Machine "Poseidon". It is designed to be carried while retaining the ablative material until you fire. :)

http://www.thompsonmachine.net/?page_id=99

For what it's worth, they work VERY well with G26 pistols.
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

If I'm ever in a situation where I have to use my CCW, or protect myself in my home, the last thing in the world I'm going to be worried about is.......

"deafening report of gunfire in a confined space"
sukhoi
Silent But Deadly

Post by sukhoi »

leonard?
Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
kscarrington

Post by kscarrington »

During lethal force encounters your body shuts down the senses that it needs the least. In most circumstances this is hearing as your eyes are focused on the threat. An example of this is hunting - do you actually remember hearing the gunshot? With rare exception the answer is no, an example of auditory exclusion.

My recommendation is to purchase a handgun that you will be able to carry regularly. A primary function of concealment is the barrel length. Once you attach a silencer you severely limit your concealment options. Especially in a more enclosed environment such as a vehicle.

Just my thoughts. Before committing to a package like that I would recommend trying a handgun of similar dimensions to see where you can conceal it, ease of drawing, etc. That Diamondback package is hard to beat though! Either way good luck and welcome to the forum.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

WooD wrote:If I'm ever in a situation where I have to use my CCW, or protect myself in my home, the last thing in the world I'm going to be worried about is.......

"if I have a silencer attached"
Now that's more like it.....
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

Don't be a weenie. It's not THAT loud. :roll:

Certainly no more damaging than a long rock concert.

IMO...

Cans are for when you aren't in full-on fight-or-flight mode...

Wait...Leonard? :lol:
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

sukhoi wrote:leonard?

My thoughts also.
NRA Benefactor Member
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

If your life is at risk, let 'em have it with a 357 mag loaded with 125 hollow points, then sue his family for your hearing loss.

Otherwise maybe consider an MP5K PDW with a QD can. (Just kidding. It's a great personal defense package but I wouldn't want to stand before a jury of my peers hopig that they get it)

All joking aside, NFA for CCW is problematic at best. If you are really sure then the DB380 is probaby the most carriable. Get a lawyer on retainer. You'll need one.

The advice about just using something effective, then worrying about hearing loss later (if ever) is probably the best. Auditory exclusion really does protect you from a shot or two once in your life which is probably more then you will ever have to deal with.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

sukhoi wrote:leonard?
Damn. Took the words right out of my mouth.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
MG_Willy
Silent Operator

Post by MG_Willy »

I have to agree.... You dont remember how loud the bang was.... Just that it happened... you can and will remember the muzzel flash more than the sound.... and I am no lawyer..... However I can promise you that the defense atty would label and paint you as a vigilante looking to potentially kill his client.... I am actually (in my home) apt to go for my 12 gauge shotgun first.... very loud noises :) Pump action and let me tell you there is nothing more deafening to hear in the dark than the rack of that slide... (I keep the slide down round laying there ready to slide closed) and as we all know you are ver likely to get a jury of anti gun or on the fencers than you are to have 12 people that understand that you should be able to defend yourself no matter what... hummm speaking of 12 people... it says Jury of your peers.... then shouldnt you be able to choose your own jury.... and of your peers shouldnt they be of your own mind set??? something to ponder....

Either way.. get a CCG that you are going to be comfortable with and carry it and dont worry about the noise... it will take care of itself.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Indeed under attack the 'adrenaline cocktail' is nature's built in silencer,
along with tunnel vision.

In addition thought should seriously be given to the actual scenarios you would encounter where you
would need to draw your CCW.

In the case where you see an assault about to take place the 'editor left brain'
can determine what is going on (OMG he is coming at me or my family armed, in the back
door, reaching for my car door, already in the house, etc. ).

What to do next ( get us out of here ASAP, duck, pull weapon and warn, or 'too late' must act).

Another is the realistic and common street 'sucker punch' scenario, you are down, no time to fumble for
the CCW. Has one been taught and practiced what to do then? Under extreme sudden stress the body
has available to it only gross motor responses to deflect, apply with no thought maximum defensive harm back to
gain separation, then draw.

As an instructor once said "This is serious s**t. A weapon will not save you, it is just an adjunct".
I have cleaned up his motivating diatribe.

If you are lucky, just having a CCW will give you the confidence which you will project to back off and walk away,
ignoring insults hurled at your parentage or your copulatory preferences. Relish in knowing
that he will eventually wind up in a situation where there will be no witnesses and the response to his stupidity
will be satisfying.

Boringly, "The Battle Avoided is the Battle Won". - some old Chi-beforeCom :)

Good luck, hope you never actually have to draw on another human being and then
endure the subsequent results.
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

MG_Willy wrote:However I can promise you that the defense atty would label and paint you as a vigilante looking to potentially kill his client.
Classic response, posted literally thousands of times on dozens of different gun messageboards to dozens of different proposed situations.

I've personally seen this quote 167 times and AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT.

What makes your post even that much better is the fact you worked in everyone's favorite anecdote, the almighty "racking shotgun." BRILLIANT! I think there was a line in Othello about the racking of a shotgun, but Shakespeare was only using it in an allegorical sense. Something about Desdemona and Iago.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

In some areas there's no issue with silencers at all and they're very common. When I head out to the shooting club near here I'm NEVER alone in having a silencer unless there's NO ONE else at the range. Three years ago that wasn't the case, but now they're common and accepted. :)

That said, while I have no problem with whatever others want to do, one must consider how expensive it will be to convince a jury on facts and how one looks in the public eye. I would do just about anything short of leaving someone else in harm's way if it means I can get away from a deadly threat without using force.

I have carried silenced .22 pistols and rifles and such in the woods before, and I see nothing wrong with that at all. I don't see anything wrong with carrying a silenced larger caliber pistol for CCW either, but I don't do it since that rather defeats the purpose of the concealment, hinders the draw, and so on.

Like I said, it's just important to consider things from all angles. :)
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

Maybe it's because I'm a classical musician that I value my senses more, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who owns silencers to put on defensive weapons. To say, "you'll be deaf but you can always sue the perp later," is not an option for me. My life would be over. When people say, "I'd rather lose my hearing," do they really consider the ramifications as to what hearing loss means? Deafness affects more than your ability to simply hear your friends talking to you. It can affect your balance, coordination, and many other aspects of your life. It's not just, "oh well, I'm deaf now, let me go on with my life." Do you know ASL? Have you learned to lip read? Do your friends and family have those skills? How apt are you now to learn ASL to "talk" with a deaf acquaintance fluently? The way you interact with people will forever be changed.

Silencers are not just a polite tool for range practice, they protect hearing.
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

Prince Yamato wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a classical musician that I value my senses more, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who owns silencers to put on defensive weapons. To say, "you'll be deaf but you can always sue the perp later," is not an option for me. My life would be over. When people say, "I'd rather lose my hearing," do they really consider the ramifications as to what hearing loss means? Deafness affects more than your ability to simply hear your friends talking to you. It can affect your balance, coordination, and many other aspects of your life. It's not just, "oh well, I'm deaf now, let me go on with my life." Do you know ASL? Have you learned to lip read? Do your friends and family have those skills? How apt are you now to learn ASL to "talk" with a deaf acquaintance fluently? The way you interact with people will forever be changed.

But but the jury will convict you as a hitman! And all self defense incidents go to trial and are heard by a jury of anti gun people!
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Prince Yamato wrote:Maybe it's because I'm a classical musician that I value my senses more, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who owns silencers to put on defensive weapons. To say, "you'll be deaf but you can always sue the perp later," is not an option for me. My life would be over. When people say, "I'd rather lose my hearing," do they really consider the ramifications as to what hearing loss means? Deafness affects more than your ability to simply hear your friends talking to you. It can affect your balance, coordination, and many other aspects of your life. It's not just, "oh well, I'm deaf now, let me go on with my life." Do you know ASL? Have you learned to lip read? Do your friends and family have those skills? How apt are you now to learn ASL to "talk" with a deaf acquaintance fluently? The way you interact with people will forever be changed.

Wasn't Beethoven deaf? :wink:
JohnRichardson
Silent Operator

Post by JohnRichardson »

I'd have to second the Thompson Machine Poseidon.

Or the AAC Ti-Rant 9s/45s.

Personally, a Glock 26 and Ti-Rant 9s is on my Spring wishlist.
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

Prince Yamato wrote:It can affect your balance, coordination, and many other aspects of your life. It's not just, "oh well, I'm deaf now, let me go on with my life." Do you know ASL? Have you learned to lip read? Do your friends and family have those skills? How apt are you now to learn ASL to "talk" with a deaf acquaintance fluently? The way you interact with people will forever be changed.
All of this is a bit over the top. If you shoot a firearm in a confined space, like a car or your bedroom, without a silencer, you will not be totally deaf and reliant on sign language to communicate. Nor would you have any balance issues, because the report from a firearm is not going to destroy your inner ear. Unless the barrel is pointed AT your ear, in which case a silencer wouldn't help. :lol:

For concealed carry, I probably wouldn't carry a suppressed handgun. For me, it isn't about the thought of finding myself in front of twelve people who think I'm a hitman. It's more about the added burden a silencer would add. It would make it more of a burden to carry, to store where I can't carry, and ultimately to draw. Also, I've found that suppressors usually decrease the reliability of a handgun, even if only slightly. And for what? The slight possibility that I'd be firing it in a confined space or in total darkness? No thanks...

For home defense, if I found myself in a situation where I could choose between two identical firearms, one suppressed and one unsuppressed, I'd pick the suppressed one and worry about the legal shenanigans later. In a home defense situation, a suppressed firearm is the right tool for the job because I AM in a confined space where the sound WILL have the greatest impact on me and the rest of my family. All that being said, I store my silencers unmounted in my gun safe. My home PDW is much more readily available. So unless I have a lot of time to prepare for an intruder, I don't think I'll find myself in a situation where I use a suppressed firearm for home defense.

Now if a guy is stupid enough to come after me at the range... :lol:
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
GTFord1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GTFord1 »

Yeah. I'd never CCW a suppressor just because of the size of the thing. In my house, though, I'd gladly keep one on, if I had a .45 or .9mm suppressor. As it stands my 870 is my primary HD gun, so it's not an issue.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I see your attempt at reductio ad absurdum but the premise is wrong as well as missing various other variables that should be considered.

If you fire an average pistol mag worth of 9mm without hearing protection, it's true you will permanently damage your hearing. If you continue to do it, you will eventually be completely deaf. However... postulating that you will have total hearing loss from 1 defensive encounter and needing to learn ASL, teach your family members ASL, say farewell to music, etc. is off by a long shot. If you're talking about getting into enough situations where this is an actual potential, then you value your hearing more than your life and you should avoid the situations where this is an issue. Otherwise, wear hearing protection 100% of the time (and armor).

Don't forget to take the following facts when weighing those risks.

Facts to factor in to an "event" when needing to defend yourself with your CCW:
The added draw time.
The added complexity added to the draw (more time spent drawing a weapon = more chance to screw it up)
The complexity added to the system (more parts = increased chance for failure)
Negative Impacts to your weapon's concealability.

Facts to factor in to the day-to-day carry side of the risks:
The added potential for a cop hassle/headache.
Added thread wear.
Added discomfort can discourage you from carrying all together.
Negative Impacts to your weapon's concealability.

Risk = Likelihood of occurrence x Impact of occurrence
The items in the 1st section only come in to play if you have to use your CCW (Low "L" x High "I"). The items in the 2nd have a higher "L", but a lower "I". Some of these even have the potential to compound other factors. Take for example, the added thread-wear. That can make it more likely to unscrew a bit here and there, then it adds to the chance of mechanical failure.

To me, the negatives outweigh the positives by a long shot. If you think it's a good idea, I'd say that you likely are adding a "coolness factor" to your weighting that has only emotional value.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

It would seem to me that a pistol that has an integrated suppressor is the only viable solution, and even at that you are adding weigh and bulk with little appreciable to gain from it.

Carrying concealed by its very nature is incopatible with adding either weight OR bulk to the pistol... let alone adding something that adds both significant weight AND bulk.

Geek has it nailed.
-----
Ick
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I sometimes carry pistols (with cans) on the front seat in open laptop bag. the loud one is on the belt. :D

House guns? Hell yes!

I wish I could suppress my 12 ga. :cry:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Must be carrying something pretty big if a couple of rounds would leave you deaf. Is that a Howitzer in your pocket, or just happy to be a tool?

Look at all the vets who aren't deaf. I know some older guys who lost some hearing from artillery fire. A tour or two worth of rifle fire doesn't seem to cost these guys their hearing. I'm sure their ears ring after a firefight (I've never asked, maybe a vet here can elaborate) but the idea that you need to trade off concealability and draw time for a silenced pistol is kind of a stretch. Generations of cops shot unsupressed 38s with no hearing protection (even at the range) with little to no loss of hearing to show for it. My 92 year old grandfather served in the infantry in the South Pacific, then put in 20 as a cop and didn't start losing any hearing untill he was in his late 80s. He still carries on conversations just fine. (He never had any gunfights as a cop, but had a whole lot of combat during the war. He did shoot for practice as a cop. Hearing protection didn't become common untill much later)

The idea that you need or want a silencer for CCW is ridiculous and flies aginst the facts seen from generations of handgun users. You want to put a half a foot onto the end of your pistol so you can't holster it and can't get it out when you need it, go ahead. Or just get an MP5SD and carry it in a laptop bag. Or maybe go all Leonard style and sling it over your Hello Kitty T-shirt. Whatever.

I'll leave the legal discussion to whoever wants to play with it. Personally, I'm waiting to see any indication that a silenced pistol gives any advantage over the types of sidearms that are generally carried. Show me where serious people who carry for real have gone for that extra length and bulk. Show me where a non-victim has had their hearing seriously damaged by their own gun. It doesn't happen. This is pure speculation about what some made up self defense scenario might be. Concealed carry is serious. Don't play mall ninja games with your life. To quote Tommy Lee Jones in "US Martials": Get a Glock and quit fucking around.