Who Is Next?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Who Is Next?

Post by yellowfin »

So which major gun company is going to follow Remington's lead and get involved in mainstreaming suppressors by buying/merging w/ a can company or start making their own? Ruger? S&W? Glock? Browning? Mossberg? Isn't it about time for that kind of news again? Or does nobody else have that vision yet?
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
SRM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Who Is Next?

Post by SRM »

Factory threaded barrels is a step in the right direction!
driver6814
Silent But Deadly

Post by driver6814 »

If enough get involved to make money.... They will apply pressure on the GOV....

Factory Rifle/Silencer packages=Mucho Dinero
pmchenry

Post by pmchenry »

Remington moved on the merger because the military has serious interest in suppressors as standard equipment. The field reports that have come in from Iraq and the Ghan over the last decade show suppressors to significantly increase tactical ability in combat. Basically, the thought is that whenever these conflicts are finally over, the Joint Chiefs are going to put together a panel to reassess the needs of the modern infantryman and then call for trials to either replace or upgrade the M4 weapon system. There is a strong consensus among insiders that at least some form of suppression will be required in a bidding submission. Remington acquired AAC specifically to acquire an edge in weapon design should any such trials take place.

Will Remington's involvement in AAC mean a more mainstream approach to suppressor marketing? Perhaps, but it will only be a side effect. And if other major companies start scooping up promising fabrication shops around the country, it will be for the same military applications as Remington.

Sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble... just don't get your hopes up too high :/

Sources: View the original press release from AAC at the bottom. I can confirm the general feelings about the need for a suppressed standard platform from my own personal experience in the US Army.
The Army was a really big mistake that I'm proud to have made.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I don't really see anybody else falling into Freedom Group.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

That all may be true, but look what has come out of military weapon development: a sizable majority of the development in firearms we have. Metallic cartridges, rifled barrels, smokeless powder, bolt action, lever action, and semiautomatic rifles, synthetic stocks, the .30-06, .223, .308, 7.62x39, .45-70, 9x19, .45ACP, et al., the 1911...and so on. Further, as people leave military service they often want the firearms that they became familiar with, e.g. the 03 Springfield, 1911, M1 Garand, and most recently the AR15. I bet that a generation who become used to suppressors while in the service will indeed want them for their own personal firearms.

Further, there's a question that eventually plagues a lot of businesses: market saturation. What do you sell to everyone when they've already bought what you sell? How about something that 95-98% of gun owners don't have but at least 40% would want that costs 75-150% of the price of a firearm which if produced on an equal or larger scale would cost 25-50% or less of a firearm's cost to make. 290 million firearms times an average $300 price (very conservative) is $87 BILLION in untapped market. The only word to describe a firearms company that doesn't want to tap into that is STUPID.
pmchenry wrote:Remington moved on the merger because the military has serious interest in suppressors as standard equipment. The field reports that have come in from Iraq and the Ghan over the last decade show suppressors to significantly increase tactical ability in combat. Basically, the thought is that whenever these conflicts are finally over, the Joint Chiefs are going to put together a panel to reassess the needs of the modern infantryman and then call for trials to either replace or upgrade the M4 weapon system. There is a strong consensus among insiders that at least some form of suppression will be required in a bidding submission. Remington acquired AAC specifically to acquire an edge in weapon design should any such trials take place.

Will Remington's involvement in AAC mean a more mainstream approach to suppressor marketing? Perhaps, but it will only be a side effect. And if other major companies start scooping up promising fabrication shops around the country, it will be for the same military applications as Remington.

Sorry, I don't mean to burst your bubble... just don't get your hopes up too high :/

Sources: View the original press release from AAC at the bottom. I can confirm the general feelings about the need for a suppressed standard platform from my own personal experience in the US Army.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
crazy-mp
Silent Operator

Post by crazy-mp »

I hope Ruger does, their .22 can will weigh 7 pounds and be able to handle a mini-gun if they build it like they do their P90's and GP100's :D
- - - Show Me Guns - - -
------Lebanon MO------
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

It seems like Ruger would do it but they'll have to be the last to do so. They don't ever seem to want to be first on anything yet when they do get around to it they talk about it like it's something new. Of course that's generally a pet peeve of mine with a lot of the firearms industry, waaaaay too much following the crowd.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Honestly, I don't think it will happen. It's too easy for a major arms manufacturer to win the contract and have the suppressor vendor be a subcontractor. Especially since this sort of arrangement lets the prime pick the subcontractor whose suppressor works the best on their rifle.
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

SRM wrote:Factory threaded barrels is a step in the right direction!

As many if not all of you know now, Savage is now making several guns with factory threaded barrels. I own a Model 10 in 308 win and a 17 HMR both with factory threads.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

morpheus wrote:

As many if not all of you know now, Savage is now making several guns with factory threaded barrels. I own a Model 10 in 308 win and a 17 HMR both with factory threads.

And they are even putting "Suppressor-Ready Threaded Barrel" in their ads. Nice to see.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sha-ul »

JasonM wrote:
morpheus wrote:

And they are even putting "Suppressor-Ready Threaded Barrel" in their ads. Nice to see.
add this one

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... ON+CARBINE
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Thats an awesome 300 blk! Id like to get that one!
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

And they are even putting "Suppressor-Ready Threaded Barrel" in their ads. Nice to see.[/quote]
add this one

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... ON+CARBINE[/quote]
Sha-ul,
I just picked up that exact Savage Model 10 carbine this past wednesday. Yea, Savage needs to update their website. You would not even know that gun is offered with factory threads or even come with 5R rifling because they don't advertise that on their site. I had my dealer call just to inquire with his distributor, and yep they do have that gun factory threaded and Accusport had them in stock. My only I ordered one on the spot. My only disappointment with it when I initially got it in, the gun had the hunting style bolt and not the oversize bolt handle as advertised. I had it returned to Accusport and a week later they sent one with the oversize bolt handle. I have yet to shoot it, but my hunch is it will out shoot the Remington AAC-SD.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

What is the barrel length? Did you get it in 308 or 300 BLK?
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

morpheus wrote:And they are even putting "Suppressor-Ready Threaded Barrel" in their ads. Nice to see.
add this one

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... ON+CARBINE[/quote]
Sha-ul,
I just picked up that exact Savage Model 10 carbine this past wednesday. Yea, Savage needs to update their website. You would not even know that gun is offered with factory threads or even come with 5R rifling because they don't advertise that on their site. I had my dealer call just to inquire with his distributor, and yep they do have that gun factory threaded and Accusport had them in stock. My only I ordered one on the spot. My only disappointment with it when I initially got it in, the gun had the hunting style bolt and not the oversize bolt handle as advertised. I had it returned to Accusport and a week later they sent one with the oversize bolt handle. I have yet to shoot it, but my hunch is it will out shoot the Remington AAC-SD.[/quote]

I run a first gen Checkmate on my suppressor ready Savage .22
Now if those A holes would make it left handed we would have something !!!
THIS is MY safety!
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Are you talking about the 300 blk out. If so, what was the sale price?
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

No the Savage .22 I bought was $189.
THIS is MY safety!
morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

dtom29 wrote:What is the barrel length? Did you get it in 308 or 300 BLK?
My Savage Model 10 is in 308 with a 20" heavy fluted Brl.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

You can probably cross off Smith & Wesson as no one there seems to know they make factory threaded barrels for the M&P 9's or the M&P 22's.. :lol:
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

I notice S&M took the threaded MP 9 off their web-site.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Someone please send me info on the Savage .22 Bolt Action with factory threaded barrel for $189!!!!!
Must have!
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

I haven't seen one for that low of a price. I am getting this one myself. My dealer has them for $250

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

shootertom wrote:I haven't seen one for that low of a price. I am getting this one myself. My dealer has them for $250

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/
Takes me to their search page, not a particular model.

Dropped a line to my dealer and he had 2 Savage Mark II Fv-SR models. 16" barrel, 5rd mag, threaded barrel. He now has one!

Was $220....$236 with tax.

And I was done buying guns for 2011!!! I'm going to block myself from all gun sights...someday.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
ottosear
Silent But Deadly

Post by ottosear »

eazenutz33 wrote:Someone please send me info on the Savage .22 Bolt Action with factory threaded barrel for $189!!!!!
Must have!

MKII FV-SR $289. Sorry gents.
But a trigger and barrel threading would eat much of that up in another host.
Sorry for my mistake, Otto.
THIS is MY safety!