Will 300 Blackout SUBSONIC kill a deer? Warning...Graphic

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Will 300 Blackout SUBSONIC kill a deer? Warning...Graphic

Post by John Titsworth »

Will a 300 Blackout subsonic kill a deer? Of course it will. This deer was shot at a range of 75 yards with a Remington Factory 220 Grain Subsonic Sierra Matchking hollow point. The upper is a AAC 9" barreled coupled with the AAC 7.62SDN-6. This was a standard lung shot, nothing fancy. The bullet impact into the deer was louder than the suppressed gunshot, I could clearly hear the impact and the bullet exiting and whizzing into a tree on the far side of the deer. It went about 40 yards and piled up. Note the blood around where the deer fell. The deer stood in that spot for about 10 seconds.

This is the side the round exited, which appeared to indicate the bullet exited sideways from the animal.

This is the exit wound from the inside; note the oblong shape

This is the entrance wound

This is the entrance side of the lungshot

This is the exit side of the lungshot; note the black areas, as the bullet was undoubtably sideways at this point and creating a nice wound channel...

I have read a lot of posts over the years about the ability of a subsonic round to kill a deer. I have been hunting since I was a small child, and I have killed lots of animals with subsonic ammunition before, but thought I would share this with the world so put the myth to rest. As with all hunting...shot placement is key.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Re: Will 300 Blackout SUBSONIC kill a deer? Warning...Graph

Post by TROOPER »

I don't know beans about the 300 BLK, however, my CX4 Storm, 9mm, with 147 gr hollowpoints and an AAC Evo-9 has brought in 6 whitetails. They all went almost exactly as you described -- double-lung shots, all with exit wounds. All of the deer ran (about) 40 yards before falling. Exsanguination appears to be the cause of death, although I'm not so certain that fluid in the lungs wasn't a factor in bringing an animal down more quickly.

I know this; high-power rifle rounds -- .243 and up -- work differently on the deer. When you shoot with a high powered rifle, a 100 grain .243 at 3,000+ FPS with good shot-placement makes a "drop-right-there" that you don't get with the sub-sonics. With the fast cartridges at or near 3,000 FPS, it looks like a hand-grenade went off in the meat. There is a difference between light-weight .270 and heavier .308. You don't get that with the sub-sonic 9mm.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Seems as if the best approach to a subsonic DRT may be a neck shot if one is presented.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

For a DRT, sure, spine, brain, heart -- all winners, and all relatively small. A head shot maybe... but most hunters don't want to distort the skull structure. For a sure-to-kill-it, even though it won't drop it in its tracks, the double-lung is better. In my opinion, the double-lung is best in general. Its just that, without "hydrostatic shock", a double-lung isn't instantly debilitating.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Good photos, nice whitey too.

With a subsonic, you are pretty much duplicating how arrows work.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
EEdave86
Senior Silent Operator

Post by EEdave86 »

Interesting post. I dont really hunt but I like reading about ballistics and such.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

eastern_hunter wrote:Seems as if the best approach to a subsonic DRT may be a neck shot if one is presented.
That’s what everyone says and I thought so too, until one week ago today.
700PSS wrote:Yeah, learned this the hard way this morning on a nice 8-point...Everyone said before, just go for the neck shot, so I did. Put him down and out like a light. Before I returned to drag him back, he woke up and stumbled off. We tracked him and looked for 3 hours. No further sign. Couldn't find a drop of blood either. :cry:
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Not sure I see the relevance of the article to this thread.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Wouldn't shots resulting in DRT be reliant upon how much energy is transferred from the bullet to the deer. IMO, the bullet "acting like an arrow" is the result of it not expanding. With the bullet yawing in the chest cavity, I'm sure the desired result was achieved a little easier, but the doe I shot last year with a bow....she ran about the same distance with a shot through the heart.

Recently I shot a deer with my 300BLK upper using 220 gr Outlaw State Bullets handloaded at home......I DID hit an upper lung/spine shot. The bullet expanded, fragmented (losing over 40gr of weight with fragments going through lungs and aorta filling chest cavity with blood in seconds), and the deer dropped in her tracks. The thread is at the 300BLKTalk website. I'm hoping to get another doe sometime soon, with a lower chest/heart/lung shot to see how the expansion is then. On this deer.....I was able to recover the bullet, as it had traveled through a rib, spine, then rib, shoulder blade, and stopped just under the skin on the other side......to me, that means 100% of the energy from that bullet was transferred.

I have also shot a deer at 275yd with a .223 SP using a 24" barrel that fell the same...the bullets expanded and fragmented in the chest cavity......great results for a round I was told wasn't fit for shooting whitetails. Last year, I shot a good sized buck with my 12.7" AR using the same 55gr SP ammo.....tracked him about 6-8' from where I shot him..that bullet expanded and went through leaving a 1/2" or larger hole and destroyed lungs...guess short barreled ARs can be effective with the right ammo!

To me, it comes back to energy transfer.....if I hunt with my .308 for deer, it's gonna be headshots only (antlerless only now). After cleaning 2 deer that were shot with .308 and .30-06......it destroys way too much meat IMO. My 300BLK kill has a nice entrance wound, had a blood filled chest cavity with punctured organs, and a nice 1/2" channel to where I found the bullet......a very clean deer with minimal wasted meat.

I'm all for hunting subsonic.....but with ammo that will expand below the speed of sound. My 300BLK handloads seem to accomplish that quite well! I have yet to shoot a deer with my 9mm using hollow points, but I have shot 4 raccoons and several squirels....all were DRT and had larger than expected exit wounds.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

eastern_hunter wrote:Not sure I see the relevance of the article to this thread.
The original post is about using the 300 BLK to hunt. The Gunblast article -- not sure how I missed that, by the way, as I go there at least 2 times a week -- is about the 300 BLK. How could it be more relevant?

eazenutz33; yep -- totally agree with everything you just said. My own 9mm CX4 Storm + AAC Evo-9 has brought in 11 cats, a coyote, and of course the 6 white-tail. It is by no means the ideal rig, but with ammunition made to expand at sub-sonic velocities -- specifically higher-dollar "self-defense loads" in 147 grain, they do what they need to do if you put them where they need to go. This means knowing understanding ranges and keeping the shots in their best range, which seems to be 25-75 yards. DRT on the cats, DRT on the 'yote (although that was a headshot), and reliable killing on the deer -- although those low-velocity double-lung shots don't drop them instantly, it is a show-stopper. The bullets do expand, and in soft, fluid tissue like the lungs, they expand very well.
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

Slow, heavy for the caliber, expanding... this reminds me of something...

Yep, there we go. Muzzle-loading rifles, low velocity, heavy lead ball that expands. If it used to work, it probably still does. Now we can just do it quietly. :lol:
RIP Dave. You will be missed.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

The article stressed the rough equivalence of the 300 BLK to the 7,62x39 and 30-30 ... which is true only in the supersonic mode. Thus is not particularly relevant to heavy subsonic impacts.

Neck shots do require accuracy ... the point is to hit the spine after all.

Interestingly, I've never found my 50 cal ML to be that likely to give me a DRT. Same is true of other large caliber rifles like the .470 NE when delivering 500s at 1800 fps. They certainly kill. The chambering that I have found most likely to deliver a DRT is the 9,3x62 using 286 gr Nosler Partitions at 2425 fps. The combination of moderate speed and expanding bullet transfers energy well without destroying lots of meat.

Am going to try the 300 BLK w 220 gr SMKs in the next couple of days. Really is amazingly quiet. Let's see what sort of shot is presented. Will probably do the 6.8 in suppressed supersonic mode next week.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

A neck shot isn't a guarantee with a potent typical hunting rifle either.

A few years ago I was hunting with a cousin along a riverbottom. We pushed a nice buck to him and he shot it with a 300 win mag loaded with 125 grain factory Federal blue box ammunition. The buck went down but got back up. He initially thought he had hit an antler. He got lucky as the buck didn't see him and walked right to him and he was able to stick another bullet in the chest. When we were skinning it later we found a perfect little hole on either side of the neck with no damage to the blood vessels or spine.

My SOP whether archery, muzzleloader, or centerfire is a chest shot.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

MJF1911 wrote:My SOP whether archery, muzzleloader, or centerfire is a chest shot.
Yep. It sucks that the animal suffers for a few moments sometimes, but it's a LOT better than the animal getting away in horrible pain for a slow lingering death from infecting. :shock:
eastern_hunter wrote:Interestingly, I've never found my 50 cal ML to be that likely to give me a DRT. Same is true of other large caliber rifles like the .470 NE when delivering 500s at 1800 fps.
Quite interesting indeed! I had similar experiences to Mr. Titsworth with the 300 BLK, but I was using a .54 and a Minie, not a LRB. What were you using? The other caliber I've had kill a deer within a few seconds (heart/lung shot of course) was with the .43 Beaumont I had. A bit less power than the .45-70, but damn. It was neat to take a deer with a rifle from 1874! :lol:
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Excellent thread. John, thanks for the write up and pictures. Nothing like photos to show what a balistic table and a list of numbers really mean.

I think that writers who say that subsonic rounds aren't capable of hunting are just 'experts' looking for something to fill column inches. It's just contrary to reality and history. Who knows how much game has been taken by guys who were loading their muzzle loaders up as lean as they could so that their pound of powder would last 'till spring. 45acp, 45LC or 44 special in the right spot will all drop deer and they aren't exactly screaming fast. They are all similar in weight and speed to the 300BLK, but the 300 has the edge for cross sectional density and balistic co-efficient. I'd expect the 300 to perform a bit better than the 45 in this sort of aplication. Writers who say 300BLK won't kill deer will write about hunting with a 45lc lever action in their next article. It's just something to write I guess.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Aren't more deer taken with a 30-30 than any other round?

I find for most NE hunting (under 100 yards) I down load my 308 and use 180 gr soft points with good reliable expansion .. A smoking 150 or 130 gr bullet is going to mess up a lot of meat with the explosive expansion, and shock.

I am a little put off by the taking of game with the 300 Blk it is marginal imho

At least use a .357 bore, better yet a 44 caliber if you are going to hunt with subs.

Can you do it. Will it have clean kills? Sure but it will also have a better chance of NOT doing the job as well as a different pick.

If it was not a new "cool" trend setting AR caliber would it be popular? I doubt it. Who would pick a 30 cal rifle with a bunch LESS power than a 30-30 for hunting medium size game?

Shot placement and bow hunting range makes up for it's lack of power and flat shooting.

The 357 mag is really about the same, and many an artical has been written about it being marginal. Just like the anti pistol hunting folks Can your 357 revolver take a deer? Sure can So can a 22. But there are laws against that, and for good reason.

I am marginal in my feelings about using a round primarly designed as an anti personal CQB round for taking game. This is marketing at it's finest.

Since we know that a non expanding bullet is less than adiquate they can sell $1 specialty bullets that do expand making the less than marginal 220 loads now adiquate.

We made advancements in firearms and ammunition to what now have to go backwards? Who would have thought there would be a market for a "hunting" 30 caliber bullet for use on deer and hogs that needed to perform at 1000 fps!

Looking at the face of it is is absurd. If it was about just hunting it would NOT be the BLK if it was about silenced hunting it would be a 357 gremlen, or some other fatter custom.. if in an AR.. in a regular rifle the. 44 spl is FAR superior for these applications. A 240 or even a 300 gr bullet is still subsonic and will work a lot better. It has for close to a century with improvements (44 mag) along the way.

I have a 300 blk and it,s a sweet little rifle, but for good quick humaine kills i feel my 44 does a much better job. A 45 osprey on my 44 is darn quiet. My favorite is still the heavy bullet 357 bore. Quieter than the 45 or 44, as accurate as the blk, and a LOT more knock down/killing power.

But it's not in a cool black 10+ round mag fed host.

I applaude Robert for making the BLK work as well'as'it does, the custom bullets, and quality brass he has helpet to make available.

We will hear a lot of sucess stories of kills with the blk, but will people also be honest and post the bad shots/wounded experiences? It happens with all rounds ..it will happen a lot more with the blk with subs for hunting.

With shot placement being so crytical range determination is going to be key. A range finder and a lot of practice will help reduce the failed shots and wounded animals. It is more important than ever to be responsible when taking shots when taking game with subs of this small a bore.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
PTK
Silent But Deadly

Post by PTK »

JohnInNH wrote:With shot placement being so crytical range determination is going to be key. A range finder and a lot of practice will help reduce the failed shots and wounded animals. It is more important than ever to be responsible when taking shots when taking game with subs of this small a bore.
That's critical with any slower caliber, you have to either shoot closer or know how to deal with the artillery trajectory. Still, if its within the abilities of the shooter, I just don't see much of an issue.... but then again the issue is that people will think it within their ability when it's not. :?
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

PTK wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:With shot placement being so crytical range determination is going to be key. A range finder and a lot of practice will help reduce the failed shots and wounded animals. It is more important than ever to be responsible when taking shots when taking game with subs of this small a bore.
That's critical with any slower caliber, you have to either shoot closer or know how to deal with the artillery trajectory. Still, if its within the abilities of the shooter, I just don't see much of an issue.... but then again the issue is that people will think it within their ability when it's not. :?

Its critical with ANY caliber. Two years ago, I was hunting with my 5.56 ARs, managing to take 7 deer (we can have as many doe tags as we want for $7 each, and I had hungry friends with families).....a friend of mine who thought the .223 55gr SP ammo I was shooting was marginal at best and thought that even though it barely fit within legal limits here in Missouri, it was not adequate. SOOOOOOO, he bought a bolt action 300WSSM. At $2/round, I have to admit, the rifle was impressive!

When it came time to go hunting, I had several deer and he had killed nothing....so I took him out one evening where I knew deer consistently came out. He got a shot with it, hitting an angled shot towards the back of the rib cage taking out a lung......and its guts! Tracked that doe for over 200 yards and had to drag her out of a ditch.

Even an overly powerful caliber can come up short if your shot placement sucks.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Obviously this load is easily potent enough for a good clean kill at that range, congrats.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

JohnInNH wrote: I am marginal in my feelings about using a round primarly designed as an anti personal CQB round for taking game. This is marketing at it's finest.
How is shooting a person at <100 yards not similar to shooting a deer at <100 yards. Aside from the psychology of being shot, not a whole lot.

Again, shot placement is key no matter what round you're shooting. Would I use a 5.56 for a 500 yard shot on a deer? No. I also wouldn't use a .357 or .44 for a 500 yard shot on a deer. At 100 yards, if I don't have a good shot it doesn't matter whether I'm using a 5.56, .357, .44, or a .416 Super Short Ackley Improved Magnum Rimmed Reticulated Retaliated Rebated Super Bullet of Justice pushing 4500 fps with a 1337 grain blah blah blah blah......
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

At 100 yards, if I don't have a good shot it doesn't matter whether I'm using a 5.56, .357, .44, or a .416 Super Short Ackley Improved Magnum Rimmed Reticulated Retaliated Rebated Super Bullet of Justice pushing 4500 fps with a 1337 grain blah blah blah blah......
:lol:
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

JohnInNH wrote:Aren't more deer taken with a 30-30 than any other round?

I find for most NE hunting (under 100 yards) I down load my 308 and use 180 gr soft points with good reliable expansion .. A smoking 150 or 130 gr bullet is going to mess up a lot of meat with the explosive expansion, and shock.

I am a little put off by the taking of game with the 300 Blk it is marginal imho

At least use a .357 bore, better yet a 44 caliber if you are going to hunt with subs.

Can you do it. Will it have clean kills? Sure but it will also have a better chance of NOT doing the job as well as a different pick.

If it was not a new "cool" trend setting AR caliber would it be popular? I doubt it. Who would pick a 30 cal rifle with a bunch LESS power than a 30-30 for hunting medium size game?

Shot placement and bow hunting range makes up for it's lack of power and flat shooting.

The 357 mag is really about the same, and many an artical has been written about it being marginal. Just like the anti pistol hunting folks Can your 357 revolver take a deer? Sure can So can a 22. But there are laws against that, and for good reason.

I am marginal in my feelings about using a round primarly designed as an anti personal CQB round for taking game. This is marketing at it's finest.

Since we know that a non expanding bullet is less than adiquate they can sell $1 specialty bullets that do expand making the less than marginal 220 loads now adiquate.

We made advancements in firearms and ammunition to what now have to go backwards? Who would have thought there would be a market for a "hunting" 30 caliber bullet for use on deer and hogs that needed to perform at 1000 fps!

Looking at the face of it is is absurd. If it was about just hunting it would NOT be the BLK if it was about silenced hunting it would be a 357 gremlen, or some other fatter custom.. if in an AR.. in a regular rifle the. 44 spl is FAR superior for these applications. A 240 or even a 300 gr bullet is still subsonic and will work a lot better. It has for close to a century with improvements (44 mag) along the way.

I have a 300 blk and it,s a sweet little rifle, but for good quick humaine kills i feel my 44 does a much better job. A 45 osprey on my 44 is darn quiet. My favorite is still the heavy bullet 357 bore. Quieter than the 45 or 44, as accurate as the blk, and a LOT more knock down/killing power.

But it's not in a cool black 10+ round mag fed host.

I applaude Robert for making the BLK work as well'as'it does, the custom bullets, and quality brass he has helpet to make available.

We will hear a lot of sucess stories of kills with the blk, but will people also be honest and post the bad shots/wounded experiences? It happens with all rounds ..it will happen a lot more with the blk with subs for hunting.

With shot placement being so crytical range determination is going to be key. A range finder and a lot of practice will help reduce the failed shots and wounded animals. It is more important than ever to be responsible when taking shots when taking game with subs of this small a bore.
There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to hunting and having "enough gun" to do the job on a given animal. As for 30-30 Winchester being used to kill more deer than other rounds...it's undoubtedly 22LR/22Mag as that is the choice of most poachers who kill 3-5 times the number of deer per year that most hunter kill. Ask any game warden/wildlife officer.

There are several inherent problems with larger bore pills such as 357/44/45. First of all they require a different gun. With 300BLK, I can shoot supersonic or subsonic rounds simply by changing magazines all on a platform that I am familiar with (the AR platform). I can use ONE silencer for supersonic or subsonic PLUS I can use that same silencer on 556 or 762 rifles with the use of an adapter. The problem with larger bore stuff is its super difficult to get the level of sound reduction I want AND STILL HAVE ACCURACY. I have tested the 44 integrals, and the 9mm and 45 camp carbines of days gone by...they are overly heavy, provide unsatisfactory accuracy, in some cases require special ammo that isn't readily available. With 300BLK, I can buy factory ammo over the counter that works and is quiet. 300BLK is actually quiet, the rounds are effective at killing, and they are way more accurate than any larger bore stuff I have tested and worked with. Perhaps 1-2" groups at 50 yards works, for some, but not me. I get 1" at 100 with 300BLK Subsonic and that is far better than the cross section of larger bore stuff.

As for "enough gun"...Anyone can argue that anything round X will do round Y will do better...this is not a convincing argument. 22LR will kill a deer quite well, I have seen it happen on dozens of occasions. I am not advocating people do this, and its illegal to hunt deer with a 22LR/22Mag. I am simply stating facts. If you compare a 22LR to a 30-06 the numbers are insanely different. A 40 grain 22LR round flying at 1000fps has a paltry 88.8 foot pounds of energy compared to over 2600 for a 30-06 150 grain round at 2800fps. Both will kill a deer if they hit a vital organ. Neither will kill a deer if they go through an area with no vitals. Yes, I have seen many deer shot with 30-06 that were never recovered regardless of finding lots of blood. A bullet only needs to destroy/incapacitate a vital organ to be effective. Funny how archers never have problems killing truckloads of deer with a projectile that is moving at less than 1/3 of the speed of a subsonic 300BLK...but we never see people saying those archers should use a ballista instead cause a ballista will do the job better.

There are a lot of factors to consider when choosing a hunting platform and I think 300BLK is an excellent option for delivering a heavy projectile into a deer with excellent sound reduction, superb accuracy and plenty of killing power. Again, shot placement is KEY.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

John Titsworth wrote:...it's undoubtedly 22LR/22Mag as that is the choice of most poachers who kill 3-5 times the number of deer per year that most hunter kill. ...
QFT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

JohnInNH wrote:...
.30-06 Springfield ?

Can it be argued that the beloved .308 is nothing more than an offspring of military parentage?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895