SD vs SDN-6

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

royalflush

SD vs SDN-6

Post by royalflush »

First, I've seen the data by major malfunction suggesting that the SD does a little better than the SDN-6.
I am a little bit of a scientist myself, so I completely understand making a judgment based off of 1 test is stupid.
But, since I have never shot a 300BLK in a canned rifle... I'd like some of your input.

Is the N6 worth the extra 175 bucks? it's a little over an inch shorter, a little lighter and has more inconel.
simply answer, "if you had to have 1 can, shooting 300 BLK subsonic 95% of the time out of a 9" barrel" what would it be. things I consider are efficacy (#1), reputable product (both of these have that), and then size and price share the #3 spot.

is it as simple as, the only real difference is the size? they'll both perform the same, so justify price over size/weight or vice-versa?
looks like the SD is $775 at one dealer I've found and the N6 is $950. so the difference is almost the entire cost of the tax stamp ($175)
p.s.- are those "good" prices? he's local and stocks both cans- that's worth something there!
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: SD vs SDN-6

Post by 57fairlane »

I think for the average user the 762SD is plenty . . . I really don't see all inconel baffles being used effectively in a weekend warrior/semi-auto gun.

I think the sdn6 shines when you use it on a short (12" or under), shoot a lot, and run full-auto through it.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

You are getting ripped for the N6, find another dealer. :D

Major's data means little because there not much of it!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Yep, those are the nest prices locally. Can find one cheaper elsewhere but that will require shipping and additional transfer cost..which will nullify the discount.
Go Hoos!!!!
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Get both!
My 762SD was in hand November 11th.
Form4 for 762SDN-6 went pending November 22nd.

Not sure why.....other than I want 3 Centerfire rifles at the ready when prairie dog hunting :lol:
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

you specified you would shoot 300blk 95% of the time, get the n6
NP
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

Thought I should add this....

Got a chance to shoot side by wide with my dealer. Both of us had 8" Noveske barrels and factory Remington 220gr ammo. No difference could be determined between the two silencers by either of us or anyone near by listening.

I bought the SD first for the BLK and .308. It has worked great on both. I bought a LaRue 556 OBR and wanted another silencer for it, and the N6 was close enough in size and weight to buying another M4-2000, while allowing me to shoot it on BLK with a shorter package too. So instead of buying another M4-2000, I bought the N6.
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Sorry to change the subject but what does a "pending" status mean and how does one check on such a status?
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

Pending means the ATF has your paperwork and it is in the stack, you can call them for status updates
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

morris wrote:Pending means the ATF has your paperwork and it is in the stack, you can call them for status updates
What he said....when it goes pending, right now, it means you have between 4 and 12 months until it gets approved. Haha

I TRY not to call very often, but always get an itch for disappointment eventually.
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

Call your congress person after 90 days it worked for me!
Bugzy
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bugzy »

shootertom wrote:Sorry to change the subject but what does a "pending" status mean and how does one check on such a status?
Not to be an arse...but you have 979 post here and aren't familiar with the process!

Just wondering.........
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Bugzy wrote:
shootertom wrote:Sorry to change the subject but what does a "pending" status mean and how does one check on such a status?
Not to be an arse...but you have 979 post here and aren't familiar with the process!

Just wondering.........
nah, fair question.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Bugzy wrote:

Just wondering.........
Yeah, he has a silenced pistol for his avatar, so either it isn't his or he can't remember what it was like to obtain one legally (for some reason). :?
It only took me one time to experience "pending" to NEVER forget what that means. And that's back when it only took 7 weeks, door to door.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

700PSS wrote: And that's back when it only took 7 weeks, door to door.
There was that nice window there a few years back...
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Damn guys, I was looking to learn something not be treated like that! Im a michigan resident and am doing my first purchase right now. So yeah, the silencer process is new to me.

Thank you for the great advice and helping out with the question Morris!
royalflush

Post by royalflush »

Back to the original topic.....
I know there really isn't a huge difference b/t the SD and N6 other than size, and the inconel in the baffles.
I recently did the math, and realized i'll probably be shooting a lot more Supersonic ammo than I had initially thought due to the cheaper cost of UMC now available. Will one can (SD/SDN-6) shine over the other shooting supersonic ammo out of a 9" barrel.
(I'll probably be shooting 50/50 super/subs)
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

royalflush wrote:Back to the original topic.....
I know there really isn't a huge difference b/t the SD and N6 other than size, and the inconel in the baffles.
I recently did the math, and realized i'll probably be shooting a lot more Supersonic ammo than I had initially thought due to the cheaper cost of UMC now available. Will one can (SD/SDN-6) shine over the other shooting supersonic ammo out of a 9" barrel.
(I'll probably be shooting 50/50 super/subs)

Shine? not really. to the ear, they should sound close or the same, if you don't mind the extra length of the 'SD, it's a good option.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

FWIW: I have found the SD produces slightly more backpressure than the N6. My AAC 9" upper will not lock back on an empty mag using Hornady 208gr ammo with the N6, but it only sometimes fails to lock back with the SD.
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

Jason, isnt the n6 more or less designed for the shorter barrel guns?
NP
morris
Senior Silent Operator

Post by morris »

My 9" upper with sdn6 locks back each time with gunn ammo 220's and 130's and by the way it shoots like a dream.

Well the gassing sucks but otherwise :D it's great!
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Yep. Robert found that even 210gr subs would not reliably lock back and 220gr is the minimum weight for assured reliability.
dbrown
Senior Silent Operator

Post by dbrown »

[quote="700PSS"]Yep. Robert found that even 210gr subs would not reliably lock back and 220gr is the minimum weight for assured reliability.[/quote]

I disagree. I have been using the 208 amax ($27 / 100) for subsonic out of my 9" upper and have had zero problems. I haven't tested as many as Robert has but I have shot over 500 of them and all have locked back on last round. This is a much more inexpensive way to shoot heavier subs
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

I have gotten 175's subsonic to lock the bolt back, with a gun gassed for remington factory ammo. It just takes a stupid amount of tinkering with loads.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

dbrown wrote:
700PSS wrote:Yep. Robert found that even 210gr subs would not reliably lock back and 220gr is the minimum weight for assured reliability.
I disagree. I have been using the 208 amax ($27 / 100) for subsonic out of my 9" upper and have had zero problems. I haven't tested as many as Robert has but I have shot over 500 of them and all have locked back on last round. This is a much more inexpensive way to shoot heavier subs
Are you using a new "standard carbine spring" and "H2 buffer" with your AAC 9" upper and 762-SDN-6? With that recommended setup, the results should be predictable and consistent. I reported my own experience and Robert told me what he found through testing in a PM reply. Looking back, what he actually said was: "I tested 210 grain and it did not cycle with as much energy as 220".