300 whisper vs 9mm

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

steel
Silent But Deadly

300 whisper vs 9mm

Post by steel »

I was looking at am ordering a 16.5" custom TC barrel in 9mm for use with a Raptor 9mm can for a super quiet closed breech rifle system. I called today and they said the already have instock a 300 whisper barrel meeting my specs and that should work fine using subsonic only loads through my 9mm suppressor. Will this work well and if so will the 300 whisper subsonic loads be as quiet as the 9mm 147gr loads through the Raptor? Thanks for any feedback!
chili17
Elite Member

Re: 300 whisper vs 9mm

Post by chili17 »

I do not think the whisper/blackout is quieter when shot through a 9mm can than a 9mm is. No formal testing, just to my ears. That said, I would still opt for the whisper/blackout with a 9mm can. It is still plenty quiet
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

9mm 147 and 158 gr going 1000-1050fps cheaper.

300blk 220gr going 1000-1050fps not so cheap. But getting cheaper........

I'm currently building both, but on AR platforms.

Running TiRant9 on 9mm, and 762SD on 300 though.

Just depends on how much extra you want to spend for the extra power? If you're planning on hunting then it's a no brainer.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sha-ul »

What's the twist on the 300wtf barrel?
hoser
Silent But Deadly

Post by hoser »

I have 9 inch 300 and a 5 inch 9x19.

The 9x19 is much quieter. When you add some wire pulling gel to the can it is hollywood quiet.
rat_dogratty
Silent But Deadly

Post by rat_dogratty »

In a single shot or bolt gun you can load Blackout(OR Whisper) that is very quiet because of the different powders (AA#5 H110 etc). The loads that are required to function an AR are typically louder(But still really quiet compared to any other centerfire rifle ammo).

Anyways, in your setup with the magnum pistol powders it will be VERY close if not better than a suppressed 9mm semiauto shooting subs. Thats my experience at least.
steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by steel »

Thanks for the info from what I read it appears the 9mm will be a alittle quieter than the 300 whisper but you gain the extra power with the bigger 200gr ++ bullet the whisper throws down range.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Here's a video of both. This 300 Whisper loading is louder than the 9mm. Both are running 16" barrels and both have SWR Trident-9s on.

Of course, the Whisper has double the powder charge, so the can has to work a little harder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIvZ1RTXUzU
(is there some way to embed video here?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

rat_dogratty wrote:In a single shot or bolt gun you can load Blackout(OR Whisper) that is very quiet because of the different powders (AA#5 H110 etc). The loads that are required to function an AR are typically louder(But still really quiet compared to any other centerfire rifle ammo).

Anyways, in your setup with the magnum pistol powders it will be VERY close if not better than a suppressed 9mm semiauto shooting subs. Thats my experience at least.

You bet! My 152 gr m2 ball bullets over 5.5-5.6 gr of 231 are a lot quieter than my 9 mm hand gun loads with the same silencer. Blue Dot under a 220 gr bullet is darn quiet too. The factory ammo needs high port pressure and are louder by a long shot. (Gun lingo)

The rifle will be a lot easier to make accurate long shots as well.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

Garrett wrote:Here's a video of both. This 300 Whisper loading is louder than the 9mm. Both are running 16" barrels and both have SWR Trident-9s on.

Of course, the Whisper has double the powder charge, so the can has to work a little harder.

The Trident 9 doesn't perform well with 300BLK, the TiRant is much quieter and the Gemtech Mulitmount is somewhat quieter. The Omega baffles do quite well on some calibers, but not so well on others.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

John Titsworth wrote: The Trident 9 doesn't perform well with 300BLK, the TiRant is much quieter and the Gemtech Mulitmount is somewhat quieter. The Omega baffles do quite well on some calibers, but not so well on others.
Is that based on caliber or powder burn rate (which affects gas volume & pressure), or something else? Have you tested various handload combinations or just factory ammo?

Curious, as it could change how I load my ammo.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

John Titsworth wrote:
Garrett wrote:Here's a video of both. This 300 Whisper loading is louder than the 9mm. Both are running 16" barrels and both have SWR Trident-9s on.

The Trident 9 doesn't perform well with 300BLK, the TiRant is much quieter and the Gemtech Mulitmount is somewhat quieter. The Omega baffles do quite well on some calibers, but not so well on others.
My Trident performed better than the Multimount on the 300Blk/Whisper platform. Fluke I guess.

-B