SWR Spectre Baffles after approx. 1600 rounds

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Re: SWR Spectre Baffles after approx. 1600 rounds

Post by sha-ul »

gwendell wrote: I wonder if the host u was running the Spectre on had any thing to do with welding the the blast baffle to the the cap with lead.
Welded, or soldered? :wink:
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

sha-ul wrote:
gwendell wrote: I wonder if the host u was running the Spectre on had any thing to do with welding the the blast baffle to the the cap with lead.
Welded, or soldered? :wink:
Went back and changed my post......used soldered instead of welded :lol:
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
cajun 22
Silent But Deadly

Post by cajun 22 »

I leave it in the dip whole for two days changing it every 24hrs. Then spray clp or kroil into the can and disassemble. Then soak in the dip for another day or two in pieces. I usually clean it sooner, but once hunting season starts it stays "in duty" for the entire season before being detailed. I use kopershield on the threads, sort of a copper version of anti-seize and it comes right apart. Looks good as new when wiped down.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

gwendell wrote:
seattlite wrote:
gwendell wrote:Got them cleaned. Used a ultra-sonic cleaner and Mercury Power Tune. Luv the Spectre :D
Looks like the "Mercury Power Tune" is a spray...what did you use in the ultrasonic cleaner?
It can be purchased in gallon containers also :) We use it every day in the shop at work. I used the pwer tune in the ultrasonic cleaner.
Do you mix it 50% cleaner / 50% water while using in the ultrasonic cleaner?
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

gwendell wrote:Got them cleaned. Used a ultra-sonic cleaner and Mercury Power Tune. Luv the Spectre :D

Your picture suddenly gave rise to thinking about the baffle design and their manufacture
which includes lots of machine steps and material removal. Could not this design also
be made with one central SS tube, slots milled, and thick washers slipped over it to keep it aligned
in the main housing? Sort of a poor man's 'monocore? Would not having the added small conical
sections give any less sound reduction?

Please disabuse me of this, at first glance, simple minded thought. Things can't
be that simple.

Thanks.
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Hello Tango....no, do not cut the power tune with water or any other media. Use heat. The baffles in the pic came clean in 3 8 min. cycles :)
" The average response time of a 911 call is over 3 minutes....the response time of a .44 magnum is 1400 feet per second "
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

What kind of ammo did you use for the most part? Looks like Remington Subsonic but I can't believe anyone would shoot that much of it..It just doesn't go bang alot of the time.. :lol: You need to get CCI standard.. :D
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

Chondro wrote:What kind of ammo did you use for the most part? Looks like Remington Subsonic but I can't believe anyone would shoot that much of it..It just doesn't go bang alot of the time.. :lol: You need to get CCI standard.. :D

The Spectre had all kinds of ammo ran thru it on many different host. NO REMINTON STUFF AT ALL. CCI sandard and subs., S&K, Wolf, Winchester Dyna point, Fiocchi, Lapua, Eley, Federal........ :)
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

gwendell wrote:Just opened up my Spectre after approx 1600 rounds of shooting and various different host of rifles and pistols. Couldnt believe the amount of crud.
Your buildup looks more like clay than the normal dark-colored hard, lead/carbon .22lr buildup. I wonder if that's due to your choice of ammo. Was the crud completely hard & dry?
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

eric10mm wrote:
gwendell wrote:Just opened up my Spectre after approx 1600 rounds of shooting and various different host of rifles and pistols. Couldnt believe the amount of crud.
Your buildup looks more like clay than the normal dark-colored hard, lead/carbon .22lr buildup. I wonder if that's due to your choice of ammo. Was the crud completely hard & dry?

It was damp......had just got thru with 5 mag dumps on a AR 15-22 though. Silencer was still warm when taken apart.
slowfire
Silent Operator

Post by slowfire »

I opened my Spectre after the first 500 rounds and it was pointless. I have no clue why mine was so clean but about 80% of the rounds were SK Standard Plus out of my bolt gun, which is a heavily lubed lead RN. The other 20% were jacketed Aguila standard and high velocity rounds out of my 4" Buck Mark. Some dust came out and a film was wiped off but otherwise it was clean. I can't explain it, but I'm glad to have such an easy cleaning job.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

Thats nuthin. You should see the one on henry's desk. It looks like lava flow cooled in it :D
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:Thats nuthin. You should see the one on henry's desk. It looks like lava flow cooled in it :D
Pics man ... pics.

ETA:
I had a SpecWar from years ago, the original one, thread together, that I used on my 4" 22lr M16. I finally got to taking it apart around 25k rounds of all full auto - 15k of it was Federal bulk pack. It was mostly solid. I got it clean but it took a while. Time in the bead blast, time in the ultrasonic. I had to bore some of it out with the lathe.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

Historian wrote:

Your picture suddenly gave rise to thinking about the baffle design and their manufacture
which includes lots of machine steps and material removal. Could not this design also
be made with one central SS tube, slots milled, and thick washers slipped over it to keep it aligned
in the main housing? Sort of a poor man's 'monocore? Would not having the added small conical
sections give any less sound reduction?

Please disabuse me of this, at first glance, simple minded thought. Things can't
be that simple.

Thanks.
Stay tuned Teacher :D
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
PAIN
Silent But Deadly

Post by PAIN »

eric10mm wrote:
Perhaps out of a rifle the crud is more civilized. When shooting out of my handguns, the crud in my element is real bad. Same ammo as the OP uses.
NRA Benefactor Member
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

PAIN wrote:
eric10mm wrote:
Perhaps out of a rifle the crud is more civilized. When shooting out of my handguns, the crud in my element is real bad. Same ammo as the OP uses.
I agree pain.....the crud will build up alot faster from my handguns compared to my rifles :)
gwendell
Silent But Deadly

Post by gwendell »

The Spectre sold me on SWR's products.....Odered a Octane 9 HD this week. The Specwar will be next. Now for the long, gruling wait on the Octane :(
dj_fatstyles
Silent But Deadly

Post by dj_fatstyles »

mpallett wrote:
Gary_SilencerCo wrote:Thats nuthin. You should see the one on henry's desk. It looks like lava flow cooled in it :D
Pics man ... pics.

ETA:
I had a SpecWar from years ago, the original one, thread together, that I used on my 4" 22lr M16. I finally got to taking it apart around 25k rounds of all full auto - 15k of it was Federal bulk pack. It was mostly solid. I got it clean but it took a while. Time in the bead blast, time in the ultrasonic. I had to bore some of it out with the lathe.
pic man ... pics from both of you :mrgreen:
SWR Spectre
SWR H.E.M.S. 2
Gemtech SOS-45
Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID