Best all around rimfire suppressor for my hosts?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

lucky strike

Best all around rimfire suppressor for my hosts?

Post by lucky strike »

I'm new to silencers and have been reading here and other forums trying to educate myself. From reading it seems that what your host firearm is can make a real difference on performance.

I've got a Nordic Components (16" barrel) .22lr AR upper and a S&W M&P22 handgun that I'd like to be able to shoot suppressed. In the future I will also be getting a .17hmr bolt gun (likely a Savage) as well that I'd like to use the same silencer on.

My priority of attributes are:

1. Quietness
2. Durability
3. Ease of Cleaning

The M&P gets used the most (well it will get used the most, I just got it two days ago) followed by the Nordic upper and then the bolt gun. As such performance on a pistol would be slightly more important to me then on a semi-auto rifle or bolt gun.

Seems like the Sparrow SS, Element, Spectre and Kodiak are the main choices for rimfire....To help in my decision making process I was just hoping that I could start getting some separation between them based on what I'll be using them on.

Any insight would be much appreciated, Thanks.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best all around rimfire suppressor for my hosts?

Post by JasonM »

lucky strike wrote:Seems like the Sparrow SS, Element, Spectre and Kodiak are the main choices for rimfire....To help in my decision making process I was just hoping that I could start getting some separation between them based on what I'll be using them on.
Any of those 4 will serve you really really well. I'd base my decision on price and what my dealer had in stock.

You aren't going to get any legit advice based on what you are running them on because you are running them on all 3 types of hosts- semi auto pistol, semi auto rifle, and bolt rifle. The ELEMENT will have a slight edge in FRP and sound reduction on the pistol, but really, all of them will sound awesome. The Sparrow will be the easiest to clean, and perhaps the most durable... but again, all will last you practically forever.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

JasonM wrote:
lucky strike wrote:Seems like the Sparrow SS, Element, Spectre and Kodiak are the main choices for rimfire....To help in my decision making process I was just hoping that I could start getting some separation between them based on what I'll be using them on.
Any of those 4 will serve you really really well. I'd base my decision on price and what my dealer had in stock.

You aren't going to get any legit advice based on what you are running them on because you are running them on all 3 types of hosts- semi auto pistol, semi auto rifle, and bolt rifle. The ELEMENT will have a slight edge in FRP and sound reduction on the pistol, but really, all of them will sound awesome. The Sparrow will be the easiest to clean, and perhaps the most durable... but again, all will last you practically forever.
Well said!
lucky strike

Post by lucky strike »

Yeah I'm pretty horrible at making decisions (I'll be able to narrow it down a few choices and then go back and forth endlessly on which to get).....I was hoping to get some opinions to eliminate a few to make it easier but it looks like I'll be ok no matter which way I go. At the moment I'm leaning to the Sparrow SS. The whole shoot a lot between cleanings thing may end up being the quality that makes my mind for me.
armalite_ar50
Silent Operator

Post by armalite_ar50 »

I've shot the aac pilot that sold me on a can.

That said I bought the SWR Spectre.

my buddy that owns the pilot just bought the sparrow to replace the pilot.
When I bought the Spectre the SS sparrow wasn't out yet.

Like the one poster said all are good choices and again check for in stock and pricing. Out of the 4 I would say silecerCo or SWR as they will shoot up to five five seven and are FA rated IE:
gonna last a lifetime. I have no trigger time on the other two you listed.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Just took my SS 22Sparrow out for some shooting today. Put 300 rounds through it and had lots of ooo's and aaah's at the range.

I think you'd be served well with any of the top 22lr suppressors out there. As another poster said, you can't go wrong with the Spectre or Sparrow. Both are built to last and offer great suppression. Those were the 2 I was choosing between. I chose the Sparrow because it could do everything the Spectre could but had the added benefits of being shorter, lighter, and super easy to disassemble.

My suggestion however is to wait another couple of weeks to see if anything new is announced at SHOT Show. The suppressor industry is exploding with innovation. There will definitely be new products announced.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Any on the list, just choose the specs you want. Also there is a new Spectre coming out for the new year, should be lighter too. ALL are plenty strong for life.

The Element is no as quiet on rifles but can't be beat on pistols for the size. The Liberty and Element almost never noticable FRP. (first round pop)

The Sparrow takes down easier but they all need cleaning the same ( usualy at home )

Silencerco/SWR and Liberty have great service,,,AAC may be up in the air . :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
lucky strike

Post by lucky strike »

Flipz wrote:Just took my SS 22Sparrow out for some shooting today. Put 300 rounds through it and had lots of ooo's and aaah's at the range.

I think you'd be served well with any of the top 22lr suppressors out there. As another poster said, you can't go wrong with the Spectre or Sparrow. Both are built to last and offer great suppression. Those were the 2 I was choosing between. I chose the Sparrow because it could do everything the Spectre could but had the added benefits of being shorter, lighter, and super easy to disassemble.

My suggestion however is to wait another couple of weeks to see if anything new is announced at SHOT Show. The suppressor industry is exploding with innovation. There will definitely be new products announced.

Hmmm...I forgot all about SHOT show.....I'll have to look through the threads here to see what's rumored to be coming. I'm such an impatient dude I'm not sure I can wait that long to just place my order. Going through the form 4 stuff is going to be rough. I've had a lot of custom work done on my guns so I'm use to long lead times but that never makes it any less painful.
sarthree
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sarthree »

lucky strike wrote:
Flipz wrote:Just took my SS 22Sparrow out for some shooting today. Put 300 rounds through it and had lots of ooo's and aaah's at the range.

Hmmm...I forgot all about SHOT show.....I'll have to look through the threads here to see what's rumored to be coming. I'm such an impatient dude I'm not sure I can wait that long to just place my order. Going through the form 4 stuff is going to be rough. I've had a lot of custom work done on my guns so I'm use to long lead times but that never makes it any less painful.
Shot Show is a nasty cycle...if something comes up there how long will it take to get to the market...and how long will it take to get into your hands after it gets to the market? The answer is after the NEXT Shot Show.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I really like the Sparrow and Element, tough choice between those two.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
lucky strike

Post by lucky strike »

sarthree wrote:
lucky strike wrote:

Shot Show is a nasty cycle...if something comes up there how long will it take to get to the market...and how long will it take to get into your hands after it gets to the market? The answer is after the NEXT Shot Show.

Good point....I think I'm just going to place an order tomorrow and not worry about SHOT
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Can't let a question about a rimfire can question go without touching on it. I think I pretty much have every rimfire host there is now and my first and really only choice is the Liberty Kodiak family (TL and Essence). I wasn't a rimfire guy really prior to silencers but after my Kodiak TL that changed everything. The reason that family of cans sticks out so much is how clean the host weapon runs with that design on it. Both my Ruger Mark II's and Smith Model 41 run cleaner with the can on. Now I can't say that about all the hosts because I never shot most of the others without one of those on.

Another nice thing about that design is that while being top performers on pistol barrels they just shine the longer the barrel is. So with rifles your quieter now than what a pellet gun does.

I wouldn't base my choice on what the dealer had in stock. (Your stuck with your choice for life) I just call up the Liberty guys and order and the form 3 clears in 3-4 weeks and its at my dealers. (thats right now..This time last year their examiner was taking 3 months on the form 3's) Liberty also provides you with the serial number of your can the same day or next day so if your doing a sign off you can have your dealer prepare the paperwork and get that done in the meantime.

As for the Shot show in the one in one hundred million chance that something better comes out the same guys will be telling you to get real world tests and independent tests. That means you will have the can sometime by 2014. You'll need 6-8 months at the very least for production and then 6-8 months before its in anyone's hands (then the independent tests) and then 6-8 months to get it. We are all still waiting on independent/real world tests from June of this year on cans that have been out for years now. I've given up that its going to happen really..

If you have no desire to shoot 5.7 or Hornet then skip the Kodiak and go with the Kodiak TL or Essence as they are 4 db's quieter and are lighter. The Essence has a better tone but the TL is so stupid quiet its up to you if you want the weight savings for the 100 bucks. It is one hell of a cool looking can though..TL is still my favorite though..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

What he says is true.. I have a Prodgy gen-3, A SS Sparrow, and the Liberty Essence

It is the quietest of the three, the least blowback, but the Sparrow is a bunch easier to take apart to clean. The Essence has by far the least FRP almost impossible to hear. Best machine shop work I have seen..

Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
lucky strike

Post by lucky strike »

Thanks for all the comments...it ended up coming down to the Sparrow and the Kodiak......He had the Kodiak in stock and located a Sparrow available for transfer.

The more I read about the Kodiak the more I liked it but I ended up going with the Sparrow due the design enabling one to shoot longer between cleanings....my laziness won out.

Now comes the fun waiting part :/
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

lucky strike wrote:Thanks for all the comments...it ended up coming down to the Sparrow and the Kodiak......He had the Kodiak in stock and located a Sparrow available for transfer.

The more I read about the Kodiak the more I liked it but I ended up going with the Sparrow due the design enabling one to shoot longer between cleanings....my laziness won out.

Now comes the fun waiting part :/
Congrats you really couldnt go wrong either way both are top notch cans.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Welcome to the club!! :wink: Now the host itch will start and then more cans..

Out of curiosity what gave you the idea that it can go longer in between cleanings?

Damnit John I should have went with it in the white!!!!! If you get a chance sometime get a picture of the front of the can..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

TI and in the white = jewelery :mrgreen:

Still pending bud. :( 6 months now.

It;s put me off on the whole NFA thing. I have put off getting an SBR for 3 months now.. Which is STUPID I know... but I and so discouraged. Time at my age is more important. I only have so many weekends left.

I know it makes no sense.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
gr8smiles
Silent Operator

Post by gr8smiles »

You will love the SS Sparrow. I have the Element, Mite, and the Sparrow. The Essence is sitting in the dealer's safe waiting on the BATF:( The Sparrow is my favorite. It and the Element are both scary quiet. The Mite does not get used that much since the other two are so awesome.
lucky strike

Post by lucky strike »

Chondro wrote:Welcome to the club!! :wink: Now the host itch will start and then more cans..

Out of curiosity what gave you the idea that it can go longer in between cleanings?

Damnit John I should have went with it in the white!!!!! If you get a chance sometime get a picture of the front of the can..

From my understanding the way the Sparrow takes down with the clamshell design lets it get dirtier without all the crud really making disassembly a PITA.

I could certainly be wrong though...I'm new to all this stuff and just trying to learn.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

lucky strike wrote:
Chondro wrote:Welcome to the club!! :wink: Now the host itch will start and then more cans..

From my understanding the way the Sparrow takes down with the clamshell design lets it get dirtier without all the crud really making disassembly a PITA.

I could certainly be wrong though...I'm new to all this stuff and just trying to learn.
Nope. I dont know of an easier to dissasemble rimfire can than the sparrow. The half pipes and O-rings keep the fouling well contained and for the most part off the tube. Its the other cans that are a PITA.
Read this forum and silencerforum a little. You will see.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
troy80

Post by troy80 »

Anyone ever tried the Tactical Solutions Axiom? Said to be quietest and lightest. Also rated for 5.7. Silencershop recommended it, not sure if anyone has exp? Considering buying that one for my 17hmr.
Dieseljay

Post by Dieseljay »

troy80 wrote:Anyone ever tried the Tactical Solutions Axiom? Said to be quietest and lightest. Also rated for 5.7. Silencershop recommended it, not sure if anyone has exp? Considering buying that one for my 17hmr.

Your limitation is the round being super sonic. 17hmr will have a sonic crack with any suppressor.
troy80

Post by troy80 »

Ya I am more worried about muzzle blast for my ears and the cool
Factor of course lol
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

Spectre 2 no FRP . I keep hearing bout the sparrow but that frp is deal killer to me , yeah i know im picky . im waiting on liberty regulator and real time tests
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

ericdraven wrote:Spectre 2 no FRP . I keep hearing bout the sparrow but that frp is deal killer to me , yeah i know im picky . im waiting on liberty regulator and real time tests
The Spectre is a good choice, but the FRP on the Sparrow is overblown, imo. Does it exist? Yes, on pistols only. But it is also easily overcome with a small amount of water sprayed into the can.