UPDATE: 3/21...Georgia (Silencer) Hunting Legislation

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

700PSS
Elite Member

UPDATE: 3/21...Georgia (Silencer) Hunting Legislation

Post by 700PSS »

NRA-Backed Pro-(Silencer) Hunting Legislation Introduced in the GA Senate

Please contact members of the Senate Natural Resources and the Environment Committee Today!

On Tuesday, NRA-backed Senate Bill 301 introduced by state Senator John Bulloch (R-11), was referred to the state Senate Committee on Natural Resources and the Environment.

SB 301 would allow Georgians to use lawfully-possessed silencers (also referred to as suppressors) on firearms for hunting.

While silencers/suppressors do not eliminate the sound of a firearm, they do reduce the muzzle report of a firearm much in the same way that a muffler reduces exhaust noise from a car or truck. There are many benefits to silencers/suppressors: (1) they increase accuracy, (2) make shooting more enjoyable by lessening felt recoil and reducing muzzle blast, (3) protect shooters’ hearing and (4) help reduce noise pollution.

Noise complaints are causing closures of shooting ranges, informal shooting areas and hunting lands throughout the country. Increased use of suppressors on shooting ranges and hunting lands will decrease these detrimental complaints.

While a committee hearing has not yet been scheduled for SB 301, please call AND e-mail members of the state Senate Natural Resources and the Environment Committee and respectfully urge them to support SB 301. Contact information can be found below.

Senate Committee on Natural Resources and the Environment
Senator Ross Tolleson (R-20), Chairman
(404) 656-0081
[email protected]

Senator John Bulloch (R-11), Vice-Chairman
(404) 656-0040
[email protected]

Senator Bill Cowsert (R-46)
(404)463-1383
[email protected]

Senator Steve Henson (D-41)
(404) 656-0085
[email protected]

Senator Jack Hill (R-4)
(404) 656-5038
[email protected]

Senator George Hooks (D-14)
(404) 656-0065
[email protected]

Senator Bill Jackson (R-24)
(404) 651-7738
[email protected]

Senator Rick Jeffares (R-17)
(404) 656-0503
[email protected]

Senator Butch Miller (R-49)
(404) 656-6578
[email protected]

Senator Freddie Powell Sims (D-12)
(404) 463-5259
[email protected]

Senator Lindsey Tippins (R-37)
(404) 657-0406
[email protected]
Last edited by 700PSS on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Re: Pro-(Silencer) Hunting Legislation Introduced in GA Sena

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Hope it passes!! :D
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
tigerdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tigerdog »

Everyone in georgia please make some phone calls and send some e-mails .......
Let's get this passed !!!!!

-Tdog
..."And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord. "
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Good Luck GA!
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
red tail

Post by red tail »

Going to be one the phone! Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Update from NRA-ILA:

Georgia: Pro-Hunting Bill Passes Unanimously in Senate Committee!

Yesterday, NRA-backed Senate Bill 301 passed unanimously in the state Senate Natural Resources & the Environment Committee! This bill now goes to the Senate floor.

SB 301, introduced by state Senator John Bulloch (R-11), would allow Georgians to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting. Currently, Georgia law permits the use of suppressors for all shooting activities except for the taking of game. Enactment of SB 301 would ensure that hunting is treated the same way as other shooting activities with respect to the use of suppressors, and would allow hunters to reap the many benefits suppressor use provides.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Senate OKs ending ban on silencers in hunting

http://www.wsbradio.com/ap/ap/legislati ... ing/nHQLs/
The Georgia Senate has approved legislation that would end the ban on silencers for hunting firearms.

Senate Bill 301 was approved by a vote of 48-5. Sen. John Bulloch, the bill's sponsor, says allowing hunters to use silencers would keep them from disturbing their neighbors, and removing the ban would not create an unfair advantage for hunters. Hunters would still need a federal permit to possess a silencer.
Now on to the House, then the Governor.
tigerdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tigerdog »

That is great news !!!!!
Hope it keeps rolling along...

-Tdog
..."And when I vest my flashing sword And my hand takes hold in judgement, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies And I will repay those who hase me O Lord. "
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Update from NRA-ILA this afternoon:

Georgia: Pro-Hunting Bill to be Heard in
House Committee Tomorrow

Please Contact the House Game, Fish and Parks Committee TODAY

Tomorrow, Senate Bill 301 is scheduled to be heard in the state House Game, Fish and Parks Committee at 1:00 p.m. in Room 415 of the Coverdell Legislative Office Building.

Please contact members of the state House Game, Fish and Parks Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support SB 301. Their contact information is provided below:

Representative Jon G. Burns (R-157), Chairman
404-656-5099
[email protected]

Representative Stephen Allison (R-8), Vice-Chairman
404-656-0188
[email protected]

Representative Sharon Beasley-Teague (D-65)
404-656-0220
[email protected]

Representative Roger Bruce (D-64)
404-656-0314
[email protected]

Representative Pam Dickerson (D-95)
404-656-0314
[email protected]

Representative Elly Dobbs (D-53)
404-656-7859
[email protected]

Representative Emory West Dunahoo (R-25)
404-656-0126
[email protected]

Representative Rick Jasperse (R-12)
404-656-0188
[email protected]

Representative David Knight (R-126)
404-656-7855
[email protected]

Representative Tom McCall (R-30)
404-656-5099
[email protected]

Representative Jimmy Pruett (R-144)
404-656-0202
[email protected]

Representative Martin Scott (R-2)
404-656-0254
[email protected]

Representative Jason Shaw (R-176)
404-656-0213
[email protected]

Representative Jason Spencer (R-180)
404-656-0126
[email protected]

Representative Al Williams (D-165)
404-656-6372
[email protected]

This alert is posted to http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state ... bill-to-be -heard-in-house-committee-tomorrow.aspx?s=&st=&ps=
JDrin

Post by JDrin »

700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Silencers for hunters bill heard in committee
http://www.wsbradio.com/news/news/local ... tee/nLR46/
Kevin Brittingham, founding member of the American Silencers Association, testified that silencers would reduce noise levels on guns by about 30 decibels.

“It’s a muffler and you can’t buy a car without a muffler, you can’t go to a Home Depot and buy a weed eater or a lawnmower without a muffler,” he says.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Georgia House Game, Fish & Parks Committee Consider Important Hunting Reform Bill
http://nraila.org/legislation/state-leg ... s=&st=&ps=
On March 13, the state House Game, Fish and Parks Committee held a hearing on Senate Bill 301. While no vote was taken on this legislation, multiple testimonies were given in support of hunting with suppressors in Georgia. State Senator John Bulloch (R-11), sponsor of SB 301, was the first to speak on behalf of this bill and used personal experiences to advocate for hunting with suppressors. Also, giving favorable testimonies were state Representative Chuck Williams (R-113), who spoke as a citizen; Kevin Brittingham, formerly of Advanced Armament Corporation; and Knox Williams of the American Silencer Association. SB 301 would allow hunters in Georgia to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

http://nraila.org/legislation/state-leg ... s=&st=&ps=
Last week, excellent testimony from industry professionals, individual citizens and elected officials was given in support of Senate Bill 301 in the Georgia House Game, Fish and Parks Committee. Unfortunately, SB 301 has not yet been scheduled for another committee hearing and time is running short in this legislative session. If SB 301 is not voted on soon, it cannot be considered on the House floor. SB 301 passed in the state Senate by an overwhelming 48 to 5 vote on January 31.

SB 301 would allow hunters in Georgia to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting.

State Representative Jon Burns (R-157) serves as Chairman of the House Game, Fish and Parks Committee. Please contact him TODAY and respectfully urge him to schedule a hearing for and support SB 301 before time runs out! All Georgians are counting on your immediate action. Contact information for Chairman Burns can be found below.

Representative Jon G. Burns (R-157), Chairman
404-656-5099
[email protected]

Make your voice heard. Contact Representative Burns today!
I called and emailed Rep. Burns' office this afternoon. Please help in getting this passed!
700PSS
Elite Member

Re: UPDATE: 3/21...Georgia (Silencer) Hunting Legislation

Post by 700PSS »

My GA State House rep. called me to let me know he spoke with Rep. Jon Burns this afternoon about the status of SB 301 in his House committee. Rep. Burns basically said that he doesn't want to have a committee vote on SB 301 because they don't have the votes for it to pass out of committee. They don't want to go on record as appearing anti-gun or anti-hunting, so they'd rather not be faced with taking a stand on the issue. Many of the committee members have concerns over poaching, trespassing, etc. (which are all born out of ignorance).
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

700PSS wrote:My GA State House rep. called me to let me know he spoke with Rep. Jon Burns this afternoon about the status of SB 301 in his House committee. Rep. Burns basically said that he doesn't want to have a committee vote on SB 301 because they don't have the votes for it to pass out of committee. They don't want to go on record as appearing anti-gun or anti-hunting, so they'd rather not be faced with taking a stand on the issue. Many of the committee members have concerns over poaching, trespassing, etc. (which are all born out of ignorance).
What a bunch of sissies.
LP
m1garand30064
Silent But Deadly

Post by m1garand30064 »

700PSS wrote:My GA State House rep. called me to let me know he spoke with Rep. Jon Burns this afternoon about the status of SB 301 in his House committee. Rep. Burns basically said that he doesn't want to have a committee vote on SB 301 because they don't have the votes for it to pass out of committee. They don't want to go on record as appearing anti-gun or anti-hunting, so they'd rather not be faced with taking a stand on the issue. Many of the committee members have concerns over poaching, trespassing, etc. (which are all born out of ignorance).
Well that makes me furious.
AAC 762SD
AAC M4-2000
Allen Engineering AE30
SilencerCo Sparrow (Aluminum)
SilencerCo Sparrow (Stainless)
SilencerCo Osprey .45
SWR Spectre II
SWR Octane 9 HD
tescobedo

Post by tescobedo »

Their ignorance is astounding. It also explains Chairman Burns' failure to respond via phone or email.
tigerdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tigerdog »

tescobedo wrote:
Their ignorance is astounding. It also explains Chairman Burns' failure to respond via phone or email.

Yep.... really pisses me off too...
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

ghostdog662 wrote:
What a bunch of sissies.

This needs to be made very public^
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Jmark
Silent But Deadly

Post by Jmark »

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_35/48168 ... tml&page=2
Bad news:

I just got off the phone with Rep. Burns. He has "informally polled" members of the committee and believes that there is not enough votes to get it passed. However, he seems to have an open mind and has suggested that they get some "technical exposure" as many have only Hollywood and the History Chanel exposure to the issue at hand.

I offered to educate them, and he not only seemed interested, but excited about the notion. He suggested that a range day where "4 or 5" of the membership come out at once and familiarize themselves with silenced weapons and confirmed that he had my correct phone number.

Although he was not encouraging, I believe that continued pressure is in order, but do not despair if we are disappointed right now.

All is not lost, yet it would appear that the finish line has moved to 2012.