What is the deal here?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

renegade
Silent But Deadly

What is the deal here?

Post by renegade »

Why are so many companies so unprepared for SHOT? Sure, they are at SHOT marketing their products, but in conjunction with that they need to announce them in Press Releases, update web sites, etc.

Other than SilencerCo/SWR, it seems nobody has been prepared to show off via Internet their new products.

The hype is NOW, not next month.
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Re: What is the deal here?

Post by 57fairlane »

I honestly think a lot of companies read about people whining and complaining that stuff at SHOT is never available until several months or a year down the road.

I've heard that several companies are waiting until production has started on the new products before they start going hard on marketing
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

renegade wrote:The hype is NOW, not next month.
Touche sir... touche!
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

57fairlane wrote:I honestly think a lot of companies read about people whining and complaining that stuff at SHOT is never available until several months or a year down the road.

I've heard that several companies are waiting until production has started on the new products before they start going hard on marketing
I am talking about products announced at SHOT. If you can announce it at SHOT, you can announce it on the web.
Table Rock Arms
Silent Operator

Post by Table Rock Arms »

Seems to me that with the exception of Silencerco/SWR, AAC, Gemtech, YHM, and Surfire that most suppressor manufacturers are pretty small company's. Silencerco/SWR and AAC clearly lead the pack as far as marketing go and I would say that is reflected in their growth. From what I have seen, a lot of the smaller operations make great products, so it might just be that they really are shooting themselves in the foot by not putting more effort into marketing as you suggest.

Ryan
Table Rock Arms
07 FFL 02 SOT
541-702-6216
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

SHOT is also a trade show. Trade shows are meant to show off what you are going to make or might be making. Press releases are generally for announced products that have a definite release date and MSRP. A lot of the stuff seen at SHOT has no definite release date and sometimes no MSRP.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Ctaylor wrote:A lot of the stuff seen at SHOT has no definite release date and sometimes no MSRP.
I am not talking about that stuff.

I am talking about stuff that is announced and does have MSRP and dealers are taking orders now.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

renegade wrote:
Ctaylor wrote:A lot of the stuff seen at SHOT has no definite release date and sometimes no MSRP.

I am talking about stuff that is announced and does have MSRP and dealers are taking orders now.
I agree with you. I can imagine it is frustrating from the outside.

I can only say that all these companies are very very small in the big picture, and the 'rush to SHOT' is very hard... priority is just in getting products ready to show, and HOPEFULLY having the 2012 catalog done. These companies often don't have marketing departments. It is slowly changing and getting better.

It would be really really nice if product lines were set in September so all materials could be ready by SHOT.

One thing I've seen that complicates the issue is the sheer number of new products/ updates some of these small companies put out. Surefire (A HUGE company) has exactly 1 new can and 2 updated ones. SilencerCo and AAC between them have 20 or 25 new and updated products...
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
USMC03
Silent Operator

Post by USMC03 »

JasonM wrote:
renegade wrote:

One thing I've seen that complicates the issue is the sheer number of new products/ updates some of these small companies put out. Surefire (A HUGE company) has exactly 1 new can and 2 updated ones. SilencerCo and AAC between them have 20 or 25 new and updated products...

Suppressors aren't Surefires main money maker.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

USMC03 wrote:Suppressors aren't Surefires main money maker.

What does that have to do with anything? My point was that they are a big company with big marketing dollars and all they have to get info out on is a couple new cans.
Kick Ass Design
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

JasonM wrote:

What does that have to do with anything? My point was that they are a big company with big marketing dollars and all they have to get info out on is a couple new cans.

How can you improve on perfection? LOL
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

JohnInNH wrote:
JasonM wrote:

How can you improve on perfection? LOL
:)
Kick Ass Design
TypeR632
Silent But Deadly

Post by TypeR632 »

Mmmmmm Surefire, waffle fries anyone? anyone?
SWR Spectre
SWR TRIDENT
AAC 762SD
AAC TITAN