Upgrade an old 18T mount using the Sakar mount?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Upgrade an old 18T mount using the Sakar mount?

Post by bp_968 »

I wonder how feasible (with the right equipment) it would be to cut off the AAC mount on a 18T can and thread the back of the can for the SilencerCo mount. Then you thread on their mount and bam, you've updated your 18T to 51T.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.
Gary_SilencerCo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Upgrade an old 18T mount using the Sakar mount?

Post by Gary_SilencerCo »

Gonna try it on my raider. I'll let you know how it goes.
Gary Hughes
SILENCERCO
National Sales Manager
[email protected]
www.silencerco.com
801-417-5384
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:Gonna try it on my raider. I'll let you know how it goes.

Do it and let us see you do it. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

Gary_SilencerCo wrote:Gonna try it on my raider. I'll let you know how it goes.
Any luck? Do you think you guys might offer such a service? I would gladly pay to have a solid, 51T friendly mount put on my 18T can. I'll probably be buying your Sparrow here pretty soon too, its just such an awesome 22LR can and oddly enough I don't have any 22LR cans yet.

This space for rent.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

What's wrong with your 18T mount?? I'm glad I have it over the 51T rattler.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

What's wrong with your 18T mount??
Here's my 762SD (18T) on my M1A. Watch the piece of tape at the 12 o'clock position on the can:

Showed the video to AAC and was told to bend the retention springs and that would help.

When that didn't help I was told to send it in to AAC for repair.

It spent 10 weeks at AAC getting the retaining springs replaced and retention was no better when I got it back.

I have a half dozen different 18T mounts (on a half dozen rifles) and the can backs of all of them.

If Silencerco ever offers a SAKER in 30 caliber with a mount interface compatible with the AAC 18T mount i will retire my 762SD and buy the SAKER.

I'm tiired of having to check alignment ever 3 rounds.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

ATCDoktor wrote:
What's wrong with your 18T mount??
Here's my 762SD (18T) on my M1A. Watch the piece of tape at the 12 o'clock position on the can:
I'm tiired of having to check alignment ever 3 rounds.
Check this out...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_20/36135 ... tml&page=4

Bookhound (Formerly of Polite Society, now Accurate Ordinance) has a pretty simple fix for you:

I don't have a back off problem like you do really, but I though I'd try something similar:

Now, bookhounds fix is much more solid and they align the hole to the proper valley in the mount.
I just used a 4-40 tap and put the threads where the spring is. This pushed on the spring and keeps it from pressing up.
I used a 45 cent 4-40 set screw from the hardware store. The problem with my version is that you only have threads on two sides of the set screw rather than all the way around. It would be easier to work loose. However, my fix keeps the original spring so that you can use it on guns that don't wobble loose. I also haven't tested my "fix" yet either. The screw may work it's way out quickly, I don't know. I'll probably upsize the set screw next. The 4-40 is a little on the small side.

So, either way, if I were you, I'd at least contact accurate ordnance. It may fix all your issues.
Last edited by chrismartin on Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

To Silencer Co... I would pay to have my M4-1000 upgraded to a Saker mounting system.
markm
Silent But Deadly

Post by markm »

ATCDoktor wrote: I'm tiired of having to check alignment ever 3 rounds.
Wow. That sucks. Mine is the M4-1000... I've heard of 18t problems, but mine has been solid... full auto and everything.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

So, either way, if I were you, I'd at least contact accurate ordnance. It may fix all your issues.
Thanks Chris but I spoke to Bookhound about his remedy and it appears that their fix is "mount" specific.

Having six different rifles the chances of the set screw lining up with a "valley" in the mounts on every single one of them would be remote.

If I went with Bookhounds fix, on the mounts where the screw didn't line up, I'd have to back off a bit to line it up.

The vibration associated (right now) with the can backed off (from full tightness) is ruinous for accuracy.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

ATCDoktor wrote:
Thanks Chris but I spoke to Bookhound about his remedy and it appears that their fix is "mount" specific.
That's one reason I like my "mod" a little better. It doesn't replace the spring, it just keeps it locked down so the silencer can't move from the current valley.
Since I'm not removing the spring, or changing the valley that it is landing in, I can choose to use the set screw or not and nothing changes if I don't use it or it doesn't work.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

chrismartin wrote:
ATCDoktor wrote:
That's one reason I like my "mod" a little better. It doesn't replace the spring, it just keeps it locked down so the silencer can't move from the current valley.
Since I'm not removing the spring, or changing the valley that it is landing in, I can choose to use the set screw or not and nothing changes if I don't use it or it doesn't work.
It doesn't work for me because I have 51T mounts on all my rifles to fit my 51T can. I can still use my 18T can but it backs off the 51T mounts really quickly, so you have to watch it closely. Having the collar mount like the SAKAR, would make it rock solid on the 51T mounts.

This space for rent.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

It won't be the "easy" fix some of us thought it might be. I called SilencerCo and their MSRP on the mounts is 300$. At 300$ plus another 200 or more for any labor to make the upgrade your sitting at 500$ before shipping, etc. Thats a big chunk of change for an upgrade.

This space for rent.
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

It won't be the "easy" fix some of us thought it might be. I called SilencerCo and their MSRP on the mounts is 300$. At 300$ plus another 200 or more for any labor to make the upgrade your sitting at 500$ before shipping, etc. Thats a big chunk of change for an upgrade

I don't think your following my intent.

If Silencerco comes out with a SAKER in 30 caliber (with an 18T compatible mount) I'm shitcanning my 762SD and using the SAKER on my AAC 18T's.

Thats the easiest fix in the world (for my specific proiblem).
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

ATCDoktor wrote:
It won't be the "easy" fix some of us thought it might be. I called SilencerCo and their MSRP on the mounts is 300$. At 300$ plus another 200 or more for any labor to make the upgrade your sitting at 500$ before shipping, etc. Thats a big chunk of change for an upgrade

I don't think your following my intent.

If Silencerco comes out with a SAKER in 30 caliber (with an 18T compatible mount) I'm shitcanning my 762SD and using the SAKER on my AAC 18T's.

Thats the easiest fix in the world (for my specific proiblem).
I wasn't commenting on your post, I am the OP, I was commenting on *my* post. ;)

I can't disagree with you one bit about your problem. It seems to either be just fine (like my friends 18T 762SD that he was shooting out to 700yards without any loosening) or it seems to be terrible, like yours. I probably wouldn't dump the can, but I would consider making it a one horse machine and using the set screw method.

I also wouldn't honestly keep the 18T mounts. I'd switch to SilencerCo's mount and make that 762SD a "thread on" can (or sell it). Its why I switched to a 51T mount, which works excellent (for me. apparently some people have issues with it not being tight on the last tooth and having some tiny wobble. enough to effect accuracy).

I've pretty much decided for all my LR rifles I'm going to stick with a 2 point mount or a thread on mount. It just makes the most sense for precision rifles.

This space for rent.