Ready to buy a 10.5" upper and compatible suppressor but...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Crabcakes

Ready to buy a 10.5" upper and compatible suppressor but...

Post by Crabcakes »

But not sure what to go with :(

I have a registered RRA lower waiting for the right upper. I'm also wanting to get started on the suppressor paperwork and the long 6+ month wait to get it approved.

I tried asking for help on THR but got one useful response and the rest was kind of off topic :( Hopefully I can get some better help here?

Mostly I want to make sure I get an upper that will work with the suppressor I choose. I've read a few stories about the 10.5" not having enough barrel between the gas block and the muzzle for a suppressor to fit so I really don't want to drop a bunch of cash on two things that won't even work together.

I'm looking to spend between $1500 and $2000 on the upper and suppressor (not counting the tax stamp). The rifle is going to be for fun mostly. My cousin owns some property in the country and we want to shoot without disturbing the neighbors. Longest we'll shoot is probably 100 yards but most everything will be < 50 yards. Mostly plan on just shooting cans, milk jugs, 2 liter bottles, etc etc. Just want something that will be reliable and go bang every time I pull the trigger.

I have a couple other AR15s in 5.56 so I'd want the suppressor to also work on those (they are 16+" so I doubt it'd be a problem). One of the AR's is pretty cheap (JSE upper) and it gets frustrating having to clear a jam at least once every other magazine. So mostly I want to avoid something so cheap that I have to keep messing with it to enjoy shooting.

Can anyone assist in helping out a complete noob? This is my first NFA purchase so I just want to make sure I do it right. Don't plan on ever selling this stuff as it will belong to my trust and go to my sister if anything ever happens to me. Thanks in advance!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Ready to buy a 10.5" upper and compatible suppressor but

Post by Bendersquint »

By "registered" RRA lower do you mean it is registered as an SBR?

I have several 10.5" uppers that are all suppressed. There is plenty of room for a suppressor to be mounted as most suppressors stop at the shoulder of the threads. Only a few cans out there reflex over the barrel and thats where the THR crew comment would be accurate.

You are aware that a 556 suppressor will still be loud? It will bother the neighbors if they are noise sensitive and within earshot, just won't sound like a gunshot. You can't eliminate the sound barrier being broken unless you use subsonic ammo.

You can get an awesome suppressor and upper combo for $2000 not counting the $200 stamp.

RRA, Colt, Bushmaster, Noveske, LMT and many more will do you fine for an upper, those are all reliable unlike the one you describe.

Welcome to the forum and we are glad to help.
Baffle Stack

Post by Baffle Stack »

Bendersquint wrote: You are aware that a 556 suppressor will still be loud? It will bother the neighbors if they are noise sensitive and within earshot, just won't sound like a gunshot. You can't eliminate the sound barrier being broken unless you use subsonic ammo.
This is worth repeating. 5.56 doesn't suppress well at all. It all goes supersonic. Check out this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2xaQqaP2Xo

Shows how loud a 5.56 is compared to 300BLK subsonic and 9mm subsonic. 300BLK uppers seem to be the easiest way to get an AR platform quiet. I would suggest looking there 1st.

Welcome :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Baffle Stack wrote: Shows how loud a 5.56 is compared to 300BLK subsonic and 9mm subsonic. 300BLK uppers seem to be the easiest way to get an AR platform quiet. I would suggest looking there 1st.

Welcome :)
Easiest and most expensive way to get it quiet. The 9mm is alot easier to make quiet with a much wider variety of suppressors available. Just gotta buy more parts but the ammo is phenomenally cheaper, plinking/blasting cheap prices.
Crabcakes

Post by Crabcakes »

I'll never understand gun forums. I try to be as clear as concise as possible and nobody wants to answer the actual question. Instead they want to throw out every unrelated and offtopic sentence they can think of.

I asked about a 10.5" 5.56 upper with a suppressor that would work well on it. I don't care about 9mm or 300BLK or the neighbors being noise sensitive. They didn't complain when we were bump firing an AK47 on his property. I'm just trying to be a courteous neighbor and it would also be nice not to have to wear hearing protection so we can talk to each other while shooting.

So would it be possible to stay on topic? I wanted to buy this thing last week but trying to do research and ask questions so I don't screw up and get the wrong upper or 5.56 suppressor...
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Crabcakes wrote:...
If you ask for advice you'll get it. Sorry if you don't like the answers.

That said, like everyone else said, suppresed 5.56 in a 10.5 will still be quite loud (nowhere near as loud as unsuppressed of course). If you've not heard one in person, definitely try to find someone with one or a dealer that will demo one for you. You will still disturb the neighbors.

The cheapest good way to do it- LMT 10.5 with an H2 or H3 buffer and a YHM Phantom 5.56 can. This should be well under your price range.

The best expensive way to do it- Noveske 10.5 with switchblock and either an AAC M4-2000, SR5, or a Surefire 212.

You can definitely go cheaper than the "cheap" offer above, but that setup will give you years of service and should be relatively trouble-free.

A big part of reliability will also be the ammo you choose to use.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

I'll never under why people can't READ on gun forums. They post and only see what they want to for responses.

This is the type that will get the 10.5" because they look great, lots of people on arfcom own them, and is what was recommended to him probably by people who don't own them.

He'll get it, and we all know what comes next... Is this supposed to be this loud? Is it ok I see erosion on the blast baffle? Why am I getting gassed so badly? Has anyone tired this EBR subsonic 223? Is there any way to make the bolt cycle in an AR using subsonics? Can someone tell me about 300blk? How much can I get for a 10.5" barrel and who makes a good 300blk barrel? What 30cal can should I get? Can I use 223 through my new 30cal can?

You can replace AR and 223 for AK and 7.62x39 also. Everyone here has seen this multiple times OP. The 223 can on a short AR has to be the most commonly regretted purchase. That's not to say its useless, a 10.5" AR is near stupid unsuppressed. There are just much better options considering te noise and terminal ballistics from a short 223.
would also be nice not to have to wear hearing protection so we can talk to each other while shooting.
Oh, and you can give up that fantasy right now. It's funny you write that there. Then tell people it's off topic when they tell you how loud it will be. Ha!
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Crabcakes wrote:it would also be nice not to have to wear hearing protection so we can talk to each other while shooting.
I just saw this. Yes, this is impossible with SBRs and 5.56.

That said, there is a very easy and cheap way to do this: http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-0 ... 541&sr=8-1
Kick Ass Design
Crabcakes

Post by Crabcakes »

And another forum I will gladly take off my bookmarks as it is void of any and all intelligence. Enjoy your trollfest forum gentlemen. Please disable my account as I won't be back.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Crabcakes wrote:And another forum I will gladly take off my bookmarks as it is void of any and all intelligence. Enjoy your trollfest forum gentlemen. Please disable my account as I won't be back.
Crabcakes quote - "I'll never understand gun forums. I try to be as clear as concise as possible and nobody wants to answer the actual question."

You were given solid answers to the questions you asked, unfortunately those answers were not what you wanted to hear.

If you told us up front about your bump firing of the AK and not being a problem disturbing the neighbors and you just want to be gentlemanly it would avoided the forbidden sidetrack with advice about quieter alternatives as to not disturb your neighbors.

If you feel that this is a trollfest then we wish you the best and good luck with your purchase.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Queue the ButtHurt meme pictures...
Kick Ass Design
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

Crabcakes wrote: Can anyone assist in helping out a complete noob?
No....
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

I have four 10.5" uppers on pistol lowers, two of which will be sbr'ed soon. One of the uppers is a rock river upperin .223 with a Adams arms gas, one is a model one upper in 7.62x39, one I built with a delta company arms 300 blk barrel and another .223 I built from spare parts. All work well with the 7.62sd AAC suppressor I have, which does double duty on my m1a

Hope that answers your question.

Eta: none of them require hearing protection when I shoot, in other words, my ears are not ringing nor is it painful.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jnitti1014 wrote:I have four 10.5" uppers on pistol lowers, two of which will be sbr'ed soon. One of the uppers is a rock river upperin .223 with a Adams arms gas, one is a model one upper in 7.62x39, one I built with a delta company arms 300 blk barrel and another .223 I built from spare parts. All work well with the 7.62sd AAC suppressor I have, which does double duty on my m1a

Eta: none of them require hearing protection when I shoot, in other words, my ears are not ringing nor is it painful.
OP left because we are all trolls! :?

It may not hurt your ears but its definitely not hearing safe.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I love reading on this forum on how loud the .223 is when compaired to the 300AAC blackout, he wanted to know about a .223 10.5 upper and a good can to go on it, why don't you 300AAC Blackout guys compair it with a .22lr with a can? How much price difference is there between 300AAC and .223? Back to the question at hand; I put together a .223 SBR(10.5) using a RRA upper and I have ran a .223 can on it and a .308 can and they both sound good, but the .223 can is better to my ears. I have shot it with out ear pro but its not a good idea. Don't let these guys talk you out of a SBR .223 they are AWSOME!
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Crabcakes wrote:And another forum I will gladly take off my bookmarks as it is void of any and all intelligence. Enjoy your trollfest forum gentlemen. Please disable my account as I won't be back.
You think we're bad? With a response like that you'd last all of 10 seconds on lightfighter.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gunguy wrote:I love reading on this forum on how loud the .223 is when compaired to the 300AAC blackout, he wanted to know about a .223 10.5 upper and a good can to go on it, why don't you 300AAC Blackout guys compair it with a .22lr with a can? How much price difference is there between 300AAC and .223? Back to the question at hand; I put together a .223 SBR(10.5) using a RRA upper and I have ran a .223 can on it and a .308 can and they both sound good, but the .223 can is better to my ears. I have shot it with out ear pro but its not a good idea. Don't let these guys talk you out of a SBR .223 they are AWSOME!
noone was talking him out of a SBR 223. He stated that he didn't want to disturb the neighbors so we offered some alternatives that will distrub them far less.

I love the SBR 223's I have, they are great but far from quiet and definitely disturb the neighbors.

Handloaded 300BLK is alot cheaper than factory 223.
rgb03
Silent Operator

Post by rgb03 »

I know you are not reading this as you are no longer here but maybe it is you. Seems you are the one void of any intelligence. People were tring to help you understand that what you wanted really dosent exist. They were taking the time to give you info that you could have found easily yourself by skimming thru a few pages of threads.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

Bendersquint wrote:
jnitti1014 wrote:I have four 10.5" uppers on pistol lowers, two of which will be sbr'ed soon. One of the uppers is a rock river upperin .223 with a Adams arms gas, one is a model one upper in 7.62x39, one I built with a delta company arms 300 blk barrel and another .223 I built from spare parts. All work well with the 7.62sd AAC suppressor I have, which does double duty on my m1a

OP left because we are all trolls! :?

It may not hurt your ears but its definitely not hearing safe.
Your probably right, I should be wearing at least some hearing protection when I do this. I don't shoot all that much though, hopefully that will change when I start hand loading. Especially with the 300 blk (subsonic)
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Ah shucks! I'm trying to decide if I'm heartbroken or relieved that you won't be contributing to the forum anymore. Nah, I'm relieved.

I have a suggestion for you though. Don't ask a question and then cry cause you don't like the answer. Take the suggestions and advice from those who actually have the experience to guide you in the right direction. You asked questions and were given the correct answers. Like it or not, people were trying to help you.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Crabcakes wrote:But not sure what to go with :(

I have a registered RRA lower waiting for the right upper. I'm also wanting to get started on the suppressor paperwork and the long 6+ month wait to get it approved.

I tried asking for help on THR but got one useful response and the rest was kind of off topic :( Hopefully I can get some better help here?

Mostly I want to make sure I get an upper that will work with the suppressor I choose. I've read a few stories about the 10.5" not having enough barrel between the gas block and the muzzle for a suppressor to fit so I really don't want to drop a bunch of cash on two things that won't even work together.

I'm looking to spend between $1500 and $2000 on the upper and suppressor (not counting the tax stamp). The rifle is going to be for fun mostly. My cousin owns some property in the country and we want to shoot without disturbing the neighbors. Longest we'll shoot is probably 100 yards but most everything will be < 50 yards. Mostly plan on just shooting cans, milk jugs, 2 liter bottles, etc etc. Just want something that will be reliable and go bang every time I pull the trigger.

I have a couple other AR15s in 5.56 so I'd want the suppressor to also work on those (they are 16+" so I doubt it'd be a problem). One of the AR's is pretty cheap (JSE upper) and it gets frustrating having to clear a jam at least once every other magazine. So mostly I want to avoid something so cheap that I have to keep messing with it to enjoy shooting.

Can anyone assist in helping out a complete noob? This is my first NFA purchase so I just want to make sure I do it right. Don't plan on ever selling this stuff as it will belong to my trust and go to my sister if anything ever happens to me. Thanks in advance!
I will try to be as close to your OP as possible.

I have a 12" 5.56 and it is a BLAST w/o a silencer. A 10.5" will be worse I use a .30 silencer and I highly sugest you do NOT get a .224" silencer.

1) a 5.56 silencer will cause a LOT of gas in your face. It has a lot more back pressure it will over gas your gas system for one and second it will cause blow back from the chamber contributing to the over gas problem. On full auto a tight 5.56 silencer will almost double the rate of fire.

2) since you want to SBR 5.56 (which I think is a mistake I would NOT go below a 14.5 and prefer 16" for many reasons) but back on topic when you cut a 5.56 down to 10.5" it will have a LOT of Muzzle pressure.. This is what blows up silencers and caused speedy baffle erosion.. SOOooo since you want a 10.5 the best way to deal with the added MP is to have a full auto rated .30 silencer.. It still will erode fast but not like a 5.56 can will.

OK now that I have explained how a .30 silencer will reduce the excessive gas, help reduce over speeding your rate of fire/beating your upper it's what to do for a .30 can.

A fast attach silencer will need mounts they are about $100 each. If you don't mind spending that for each upper that is a nice way to go. The New SilencerCo. Mounting system will be WELL worth the wait. They have announced the 5.56 silencer but a .30 is due out.

If you do not mind a thread on silencer which eliminates a mount, you can get a less expensive just as quiet .30 silencer.

I get a thread adapter from US Machinegun.com to go from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24 for my uppers. Then use my Cyclone-K from AAC on all my uppers and my bolt guns as well. No mounts, simple and very quiet. It is only a few dB off from the best 5.56 silencers is lighter than some and about the same size as some. I use it on my 5.56, 260 Rem, 308, Long barrel 30-06

Check Byron Gaston's Major Malfunction's web site for dB numbers, weights, costs, and reviews. John Titsworth tested a .30 on a 5.56 as have others. A good .30 can will be a very good choice even more so with a 5.56 SBR.

Things to keep in mind

a 5.56 10.5" barrel will
1) loose a LOT of FPS.
2) will cut the life of your silencer by more than 50% It will become a "consumable" not a durable good.
3) it's freaking LOUD suppressed or not. Hearing Protection absolutely will be needed even out in the open
4) it will over gas more than a longer barrel when suppressed

I would NEVER pay to SBR a 5.56, the only reason I have a 12" is it came on my M16A1.

You may be aware of these things already but we are trying to help save you from disappointment. It's about EXPECTATIONS.

As long as you understand the consequences of cutting a 5.56 to 10.5" you will not be overly disappointed. I do know a feew people who "like them" with no regrets but they don't pay for silencers, ammo and did not have a BLK to choose from at the time. They are quickly adopting a better mousetrap and abandoning the 5.56 SBR. Only time they use them now it to make NOISE and FLASH to make a "show" or to trash a can.

Avoid the 18 tooth AAC mounting system like the plague. An AAC 7.62 SDn6 or SD is a nice can but for a few hundred less a Cyclone-K is MY choice.

Look at Major Malfunction's site and check all the .30 cans out. Read more and think about flexibility and the other points I talked about as to the advantages of the .30 over the 5.56 silencer ESPECIALLY for a SBR in 5.56.

I can understand why you are annoyed by the suggestions and what you think is off topic. If you already are aware of the drawbacks of a 10.5" 5.56 SBR why the hell should you have to hear all that BS over again... But since many here do not know what you HAVE done, heard, and the work you may have done to make the choice people are only trying to HELP you from making a mistake that many many have made and regret.

Good luck with your project and enjoy it.. The hardest part will be the long BATF&E wait!

People have said the 5.56 SBR is rough on a silencer... It is really ASTOUNDING at just how bad it really is. I know it was bad by sight and sound, but seeing the #'s I was really shocked and understood why only 60 rounds in my 12" barrel caused 1000s of rounds of erosion! I was seriously saying out loud WTF! when I looked at my blast baffle :shock:

So just check out the Numbers.

Barrel Length Muzzle Pressure Ft lbs of energy 5.56/BLK & difference
--------BLK ----------- 5.56 ---- Ft/lbs 5.56/BLK ------ delta
16" ---- 4,851 PSI ---- 11,434 psi ---1118/1370 ------- 252 ft lbs
14" ----5,672 PSI ----- 13,235 PSI -- 1040/1306 ------ 266 ft lbs
10.5" - 7, 917 PSI ---- 17,921 PSI --- 867/1163 ------- 296 ft lbs less energy than a BLK and 10,000 PSI more! :shock: that is a real silencer eater.

Nuff comparison BS..

With that out of the way why not for your 5.56 build:

I got a 16"SS barreled upper from DSA for $400 Threaded in 300 BLK they make 5.56 uppers as well. Why not just get a bare upper in 5.56 from them for cheap and have it cut and threaded in 5/8-24. With a copy of your Form 4 for your lower they will ship you a SBR upper. (Machine gun trumps SBR) Then just use your current BCG from your MG upper?

$400 Upper or less for the 5.56, that's my 300 BLK price
$200 SBR tax stamp
$800 Cyclone-K
$200 to cut thread
$200 Silencer Tax
$1800 total
Last edited by JohnInNH on Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Bendersquint wrote:
gunguy wrote:I love reading on this forum on how loud the .223 is when compaired to the 300AAC blackout, he wanted to know about a .223 10.5 upper and a good can to go on it, why don't you 300AAC Blackout guys compair it with a .22lr with a can? How much price difference is there between 300AAC and .223? Back to the question at hand; I put together a .223 SBR(10.5) using a RRA upper and I have ran a .223 can on it and a .308 can and they both sound good, but the .223 can is better to my ears. I have shot it with out ear pro but its not a good idea. Don't let these guys talk you out of a SBR .223 they are AWSOME!
noone was talking him out of a SBR 223. He stated that he didn't want to disturb the neighbors so we offered some alternatives that will distrub them far less.

I love the SBR 223's I have, they are great but far from quiet and definitely disturb the neighbors.

And hand loaded .223 is cheaper than 300 BLK? I'm not trying to s--t talk the 300BLK I just think people neeed to READ the posted question.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gunguy wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

And hand loaded .223 is cheaper than 300 BLK? I'm not trying to s--t talk the 300BLK I just think people neeed to READ the posted question.
Guess the handloading is depending on the source of components.

You missed the part about him not wanting to disturb his neighbors I guess, we offered him a solution that would NOT disturb his neighbors. We did read what was posted and offered suggestions based on what he said.
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Where can you buy bullets that are .30 cal bullets for cheaper than .223? And its really cheap to reload sub-sonic .223 ammo if neighbors are an issue.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gunguy wrote:Where can you buy bullets that are .30 cal bullets for cheaper than .223? And its really cheap to reload sub-sonic .223 ammo if neighbors are an issue.
Last time I ordered 175gr BTHP pills they were .08 apiece. Guess I gotta keep that source to myself since I knew it was a deal but didn't realize it was THAT good a deal.

Will the .223 subsonic loads you mention cycle the AR15 he was looking to suppress?