This guy sells silencers and is bashing them...

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: This guy sells silencers and is bashing them...

Post by delta9mda »

Bubbaman wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote:Before we skewer this guy lets make sure that we are going after the right person. The video looks like a well crafted editing job from a reporter with an agenda. There is someone on arf.com that is going to talk to him today and find out if the video was really representative of what he believes or if he got misrepresented.

No good deed goes unpunished.

You can definitely tell that this video was edited for only the authors benefit. To bad only one other person on this board caught the editing while everyone else is completely flaming the guy and posting his email.

THINK before ripping a guy
no the guy is a douche. when he started talking about going in someones house quietly and taking them out with no noise, he became a DOUCHE.
NP
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

delta9mda wrote:
Bubbaman wrote:
m1garand30064 wrote:Before we skewer this guy lets make sure that we are going after the right person. The video looks like a well crafted editing job from a reporter with an agenda. There is someone on arf.com that is going to talk to him today and find out if the video was really representative of what he believes or if he got misrepresented.

No good deed goes unpunished.

You can definitely tell that this video was edited for only the authors benefit. To bad only one other person on this board caught the editing while everyone else is completely flaming the guy and posting his email.

THINK before ripping a guy
no the guy is a douche. when he started talking about going in someones house quietly and taking them out with no noise, he became a DOUCHE.
I don't subscribe to the concept of Schrödinger's Douche :lol: I submit that he was likely a douche before he announced it to the audience.

(Yes, it was edited to make it even more tilted against silencers, that's pretty obvious. I don't think anyone here will disagree to that point. But the Douche being interviewed IS full of crap too.)
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:...
I don't subscribe to the concept of Schrödinger's Douche :lol: I submit that he was likely a douche before he announced it to the audience.
:D :lol: :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

What an idiot! Ignorant Fudd. Whose side is he on anyway? Wrong on so many counts. So the lib press in Chattanooga, TENNESSEE doesn’t have enough to do there, without coming down to Georgia to "make" news and interfere with our political process? I realize that they cover news in their region, including NW Georgia, so fortunately, not many Georgians will see this or be influenced by it anyway. I'm sure that the vast majority of Georgia legislators, who are busy in session now, do not have time to seek out this kind of media garbage anyway.

This bill passed the Senate committee unanimously. It passed the full Senate yesterday, by a vote of 48-5 (91%). This bill is NRA sponsored and supported by Georgia's leading gun rights organization, georgiacarry.org as well.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Historian wrote:In a rare moment of charity, I found one
redeeming quality in the man, he is wearing a
gold Rolex Submariner. Otherwise as was critiqued
effectively above he indeed appears OUT OF HIS DEPTH. :)
He still get it wrong,,,,silver is a better choice. :mrgreen:

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Someone may want to contact the reporter to let him know that journalism is supposed to report the story without inserting their own bias.
http://timesfreepress.com/staff/patrick-smith/
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

I don't see what the big deal about hunting with a suppressor is. The animal you are going to hit is going to die from the shot regardless.
LP
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

ghostdog662 wrote:I don't see what the big deal about hunting with a suppressor is. The animal you are going to hit is going to die from the shot regardless.
The silencer is to benefit the critter on the buttstock end of the weapon, it has no bearing on the critter on the business end of the muzzle.
http://www.silencersarelegal.com/#silencer_benefits
Seriously, do you even own a can? And for F--k's sake, you're in Texas. You can hunt feral pigs w/ night vision, and you don't see the benefits of a suppressor? Reduced muzzle flash (keeps your night vision scope healthy), recoil reduction, faster follow-up shots on other pigs, improved accuracy. Not to mention the whole point of it being safer on your hearing because it's quieter.
Last edited by Libertarian_Geek on Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burton

Post by burton »

I am a former news editor by profession. NBC news in KC for several years. I currently do video work for a non-profit agency.

My best guess...This is the result of piss poor editing and a subject who didn't realize the dangers of being taken out of context...I'd be very curious to see in what context he was talking about the some of the more foolish sounding things he said.

That said, this is a classic example of why most gun store owners will not let the news media inside for interviews....Too many dumb ass reporters/clueless editors more than willing to botch quotes, jumble things to make the story 'juicy.'

In my news career, I never met a gun store owner in our area that would ever agree to appearing on camera.

worst part is the reporter and editor likely could care less...they are on to the next story, without a second thought about how the interviewee looks.
Last edited by burton on Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
ghostdog662 wrote:I don't see what the big deal about hunting with a suppressor is. The animal you are going to hit is going to die from the shot regardless.
The silencer is to benefit the critter on the buttstock end of the weapon, it has no bearing on the critter on the business end of the muzzle.
Seriously, do you even own a can? And for F--k's sake, you're in Texas. You can hunt feral pigs w/ night vision, and you don't see the benefits of a suppressor? Reduced muzzle flash (keeps your night vision scope healthy), recoil reduction, faster follow-up shots on other pigs, improved accuracy. Not to mention the whole safer on your hearing because it's quieter.
Libertarian, I think he meant he doesn't see why people would oppose hunting with a can. I hope he did anyway.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

It appears he was baited and didn't even realize it..The reporter asked "Why do you think there would even be any resistance to such legislation"? "It only seems like common sense that these should be allowed". "What are some of the common fears you have heard about with suppressors?" "What is the controversy about using a suppressor?"

These reporters have an agenda and know what can be done in and editing room. They ask the question knowing full well the answer and then use that portion. It takes alot of prep work to sit down with someone and go over the Q's and A's prior to an interview like this because you have to show people how just segments of what they say will be used. So they can't have it edited to this!

More times than not an idiot reporter just asks a bunch of stupid questions and then a producer sits down and gets out of it what they want.

I can't believe none of you guys see this.. :shock:

The 10% reduction in recoil part is the only one that I can't figure out..But no idea what it took to get to that point..Clearly he was getting uncomfortable..But according to whom was he speaking of though? Could he be talking about idiots that sit around and talk in forums? :lol:

What we are thought of by the OP by the way..
"This board has its regular 150 people who make 95% of the noise and much of the time it's not worth reading. Most message boards suffer similar issues, and this is no different.

But, I will make my observations and offer my advice, which as Mr. G. Bernard Shaw said, advice is like kissing; it costs nothing and its a pleasant thing to do."

Guess we are part of the 150 here.. :? Or maybe one of us is the intelligent 7..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

jnitti1014 wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:
Seriously, do you even own a can? And for F--k's sake, you're in Texas. You can hunt feral pigs w/ night vision, and you don't see the benefits of a suppressor? Reduced muzzle flash (keeps your night vision scope healthy), recoil reduction, faster follow-up shots on other pigs, improved accuracy. Not to mention the whole safer on your hearing because it's quieter.
Libertarian, I think he meant he doesn't see why people would oppose hunting with a can. I hope he did anyway.
That's what I meant. I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't want a can on everything I shoot. Many pigs have met their demise and there aren't enough weekends in the month to barbeque all of them.
LP
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

ghostdog662 wrote:...
That's what I meant. I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't want a can on everything I shoot. Many pigs have met their demise and there aren't enough weekends in the month to barbeque all of them.
Good deal then. For a moment there, I thought you were another "edteach" or "sdg".
burton

Post by burton »

Chondro wrote:It appears he was baited and didn't even realize it..The reporter asked "Why do you think there would even be any resistance to such legislation"? "It only seems like common sense that these should be allowed". "What are some of the common fears you have heard about with suppressors?" "What is the controversy about using a suppressor?"

These reporters have an agenda and know what can be done in and editing room. They ask the question knowing full well the answer and then use that portion. It takes alot of prep work to sit down with someone and go over the Q's and A's prior to an interview like this because you have to show people how just segments of what they say will be used. So they can't have it edited to this!

More times than not an idiot reporter just asks a bunch of stupid questions and then a producer sits down and gets out of it what they want.

I can't believe none of you guys see this.. :shock:
+1
57fairlane
Silent But Deadly

Post by 57fairlane »

Emilio wrote:And those cans where loud! :lol:
Have you ever shot in an indoor range? Everything is loud . . . doesn't matter what can is on it.

Cement/cinderblock walls, reinforced ceiling, solid wood/steel lanes. There isn't anything in any indoor range I've ever been in that muffles sound.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

57fairlane wrote:
Emilio wrote:And those cans where loud! :lol:
Have you ever shot in an indoor range? Everything is loud . . . doesn't matter what can is on it.

Cement/cinderblock walls, reinforced ceiling, solid wood/steel lanes. There isn't anything in any indoor range I've ever been in that muffles sound.
I make several vids shooting indoors. :roll: Those cans where loud. :mrgreen:
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Chondro wrote:It appears he was baited and didn't even realize it..The reporter asked "Why do you think there would even be any resistance to such legislation"? "It only seems like common sense that these should be allowed". "What are some of the common fears you have heard about with suppressors?" "What is the controversy about using a suppressor?" ........
Yes. He was baited. Yes. The video was chopped up, cherry picked, edited back together. It was put together in such a way that the interviewee didn't intend. Yes, some of his statements were taken out of context. That is obvious. The reporter and producer need to loose their jobs for such a breach of ethics.

But again. Look at the unedited/uninterrupted section of the video between 1:27 & 2:00. Now, tell me what he meant.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

I can't rationalize not ripping this guy. His body language the words he used no matter how it was edited, he is at least an idiot if not a douche bag FUDD with a Rolex who owns a gunstore but has no idea what the 2nd Amd is about, or probably the Constitution except for making himself money. A used car salesman who got into the gun business. Naahhh take that back used car salesman don't go on tv talking down sports cars or 4x4s.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

silverbulletexpress wrote:I can't rationalize not ripping this guy. His body language the words he used no matter how it was edited
I agree, he STILL say these things. :roll:
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

The guy who appeared in that video is an ass.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

[

Libertarian, I think he meant he doesn't see why people would oppose hunting with a can. I hope he did anyway.[/quote]

That's what I meant. I wouldn't be on this site if I didn't want a can on everything I shoot. Many pigs have met their demise and there aren't enough weekends in the month to barbeque all of them.[/quote]

You can send any leftover pig to me in NY! :D
ghostdog662
Silent But Deadly

Post by ghostdog662 »

jnitti1014 wrote:You can send any leftover pig to me in NY! :D
One weird thing happened recently. There was a fairly small pig lurking in the shadows of my corn feeder and finally exposed his head enough to take a shot. Upon further inspection the pig only had 3 legs! The back leg appeared to have a stump but it didn't look like it got chewed, more than likely born that way.

Take a look at this.

LP
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

ghostdog662 wrote:...
That little bastard cheated you 1 ham.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I drove home the other night to find 6 deer in my front yard eating the many acorns there under my mighty oaks. Off to my left in my blueberry patch i saw a wounded deer. Only one hind leg. It was not doing well but made the wood line before i could get glass on it to see the extent/type of injury. I keep a pair of binoculars my my frond door to check out wildlife in/on my pond.

Deer season was a while ago, and with our lack of snow cover may have allowed it to survive a bad shot. Or it was a car accident. I will call the game warden to see if i can put it out of it's misery. It was obviously suffering. :cry:

I suspect I am not allowed to.

It was disturbing to say the least.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

Boy I'm glad I'm staying away from their shop...the one here in Chattanooga just got their licensing in order...I asked how much it'd be for a F4 transfer...$100!

Thank God I have an 02/07 SOT for a friend in town...

They're yet another of the shops in town that requires a full year membership to be able to use their range...there is literally nowhere in town that has an indoor range where you can shoot by the hour/day :evil: