Cleaning and maintaining a Nielson device/booster

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

RogaDanar
Silent Operator

Cleaning and maintaining a Nielson device/booster

Post by RogaDanar »

I am trying to figure out what the best method is for keeping my Trident's booster functioning properly and also make it easy to clean. Right now I am using TW25B as a booster grease. I try not to use too much as I don't want it building up in the can and make it fill up faster. I don't have the money to send it in to Bendersquint for his awesome jailbreak service, so I am trying to get as much life out of my can as possible. I clean the booster out every time I shoot, be it a 1 round "hey listen to this" or a 500 round outing. I have found that the more grease I use in it, the easier it is to clean out afterward. God forbid I ever let it sit before cleaning it out, as I sometimes spend an hour or more scraping those little channels out with the brass scraper on my Leatherman MUT just to get the piston to move freely.

Are there any tricks or tips you guys have found that make maintenance easier?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
RogaDanar
Silent Operator

Re: Cleaning and maintaining a Nielson device/booster

Post by RogaDanar »

anyone?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Brownell's GUN SCRUBBER is used by some immediately after the end of every shoot of any devices
to interrupt preliminary chemical adhesions. The next steps in removing/scouring remaining detritus* that can be taken
are catalogued in many postings here and can be done at home, e.g., Dip, boiling water with detergent,
etc.

For OCD firearms devotees it is part of the 'catechism'
to clean arms as soon as practical. Sure there are those who
fire more rounds than are shot in the movie HEAT and report no
adverse effects months afterwards.

Who after all really needs to floss and brush their teeth after every meal or wipe ...... :)

*Or as was heard in Southie in the 40's with a heavy and lilting Gaelic
emphasis: "SHITE" (sic). :) :)
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

I've got a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner that I use on my Knight's USP can. I believe that since I bought my can, that GM has discontinued or reformulated it.

Check your local Chrysler/Dodge dealer for Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Wynn's makes the same product and a Mercury/Johnson/Evinrude dealer should also carry a similar product.

Just soak your piston/spring assembly in this stuff and the carbon will wipe right off. No scraping.

It also works great on AR-15 bolts/carriers.
Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.
Give a man a bank and he can rob the entire world.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DesertRat wrote:I've got a can of GM Top Engine Cleaner that I use on my Knight's USP can. I believe that since I bought my can, that GM has discontinued or reformulated it.

Check your local Chrysler/Dodge dealer for Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner. Wynn's makes the same product and a Mercury/Johnson/Evinrude dealer should also carry a similar product.

Just soak your piston/spring assembly in this stuff and the carbon will wipe right off. No scraping.

It also works great on AR-15 bolts/carriers.
GM Top Engine Cleaner has damaged aluminum in the past, user beware.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Bendersquint wrote:GM Top Engine Cleaner has damaged aluminum in the past, user beware.
OP asked about cleaning the booster on his Trident, which to my knowledge is not made of aluminum. I stated that I used it on a Knight's can and booster and AR-15 bolts and carriers, none of which are aluminum.

Reading is FUNdamental.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DesertRat wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:GM Top Engine Cleaner has damaged aluminum in the past, user beware.
OP asked about cleaning the booster on his Trident, which to my knowledge is not made of aluminum. I stated that I used it on a Knight's can and booster and AR-15 bolts and carriers, none of which are aluminum.

Reading is FUNdamental.
The BOOSTER on the Trident is Aluminum, the SPRING and PISTON are SS.

Most people in my repair and replacement experience will use the same thing on everything unless they are told it will harm something.

Most people in my repair and replacement experience are not aware the differences and limitations of any of the materials in their silencers.

Just making the point that its not a catch all.
Last edited by Bendersquint on Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DesertRat wrote:
Well aware waht the OP was asking. The Knights entire booster assembly(booster, piston, spring, cap are all steel.

If you weren't aware of the assembly then you would assume it is aluminum like all the other boosters and therefore kill your booster.

I am not aware of any other manufacturers that make steel boosters and caps.
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Is Hoppes safe for both aluminum and steel?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Is Hoppes safe for both aluminum and steel?
I wouldn't soak it in it as Hoppes DOES attack aluminum but it is pretty slow. I use Hoppes on all my aluminum guns and just clean then oil and I haven't notice much damage over the years.
DesertRat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DesertRat »

Bendersquint wrote:I am not aware of any other manufacturers that make steel boosters and caps.
Seriously?

Even a cursory look at most manufacturers websites will show that their boosters are steel. The Octane 9 is listed as having a 17-4 PH steel piston.

Anyway, I've answered the OP's question. Feel free to continue to be the smartest guy in the room. I'm done here.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DesertRat wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:I am not aware of any other manufacturers that make steel boosters and caps.
Seriously?

Even a cursory look at most manufacturers websites will show that their boosters are steel. The Octane 9 is listed as having a 17-4 PH steel piston.

Anyway, I've answered the OP's question. Feel free to continue to be the smartest guy in the room. I'm done here.
It's not about being the smartest guy in the room at all, its about stating the facts, I am sorry I offended you.