Worth the investment to suppress the G26?

General silencer discussion. If you want to talk about a specific silenced rifle or pistol, it is best to do that in the rifle or pistol section for that brand.

All NFA laws apply.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw, renegade

Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Worth the investment to suppress the G26?

Post by Lindenwood »

I now have a G26 that is my "go to" gun for everything. I am seriously considering adding a suppressor to the weapon system. I have read just about every thread here regarding function with the subcompacts, but I wanted to get some new opinions.

I am looking at the Thompson Machine Isis9 for its obvious versatility, but I want to make sure it is even worth it to even try suppressing the G26.

Notes and conditions:
- I don't have much interest in buying a g19. I went with the 26 because appendix carry is the only way I can reliably conceal on a bicycle, and the shorter the better when hunched over like that.
-I am not expecting true Glock "to hell and back" reliability, but I don't want it to be nothing more than a range toy. If you guys don't expect it to be reliable enough for any "serious" use, I won't bother.
-I will only be shooting defensive-level loads through it, so keep that in mind in regards to functioning. So, base your estimations on a 147gr@1000+ fps load.

Thanks!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Worth the investment to suppress the G26?

Post by Bendersquint »

Lindenwood wrote:I now have a G26 that is my "go to" gun for everything. I am seriously considering adding a suppressor to the weapon system. I have read just about every thread here regarding function with the subcompacts, but I wanted to get some new opinions.

I am looking at the Thompson Machine Isis9 for its obvious versatility, but I want to make sure it is even worth it to even try suppressing the G26.

Notes and conditions:
- I don't have much interest in buying a g19. I went with the 26 because appendix carry is the only way I can reliably conceal on a bicycle, and the shorter the better when hunched over like that.
-I am not expecting true Glock "to hell and back" reliability, but I don't want it to be nothing more than a range toy. If you guys don't expect it to be reliable enough for any "serious" use, I won't bother.
-I will only be shooting defensive-level loads through it, so keep that in mind in regards to functioning. So, base your estimations on a 147gr@1000+ fps load.

Thanks!
The ISIS would be a LARGE can for the G26, if you are considering that you can consider the TiRant9 or Octane9 as they are all the same size.

Can't comment on suppression levels as I haven't heard the Isis9 myself.
82nd airborne
Silent But Deadly

Post by 82nd airborne »

Isis and tirant are the same diameter.
Regards,
Aaron Fouraker
Co-Owner
Delta Company Arms, LLC
(918) 332-6503
[email protected]
www.deltacompanyarms.com
IN GOD WE TRUST.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

82nd airborne wrote:Isis and tirant are the same diameter.
As is the Octane and Multimount.

- SIDENOTE -
You gonna call me Aaron? Still need the reamers and barrels you were going to hook me up with.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Personally I would get the Ti-rant 9S for that application run it wet and it will sound good.
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

By versatility, I mean that it can be cleaned and thus be used to suppress a .22.

But, I am primarily concerned about function, not necessarily which is the best suppressor (unless function on a g26 is what makes it better).

So, with the intended loads do I need to worry about reliability as a host?
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

Lindenwood wrote:do I need to worry about reliability as a host?
You do need to worry about reliability much more than users with G19s and G17s.

Using full power ammo and a good light can with a booster, you should be OK.

Something like the Ti-RANT 9S would be great for size, but needs to be shot wet for the full performance.

Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

I've never had any problem with mine..I'm using the load here that I made up for my Multimount to function with this host..Not sure if I need it this hot for the Mystic..

I hate Glocks but after this range session that day I did feel better about it..Though I just dropped in a ghost trigger in it since its no longer my carry gun and I'm using a much quieter can. Should hear this thing with the Infiniti..Holy shite! Your at rimfire levels..Though listen to the bullet impacts 100 yards away..

It's worth the cash for the barrel from Lone Wolf for the G26..Just get a good can though..You'll be getting a better host down the road then..trust me.. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evJL7XYv28I

Edit: Sorry wrong video in there somehow!
Last edited by Chondro on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Wow, that's a big can to stick on a 26! :lol:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Lindenwood wrote:I now have a G26 that is my "go to" gun for everything. I am seriously considering adding a suppressor to the weapon system. I have read just about every thread here regarding function with the subcompacts, but I wanted to get some new opinions.

Notes and conditions:

Thanks!
If you get a 9 can the G 26 is no the best host because it is small and unlocks quicker and has more noise and possible issue.

I only use a 22 kit and suppressor on mine. The 9 can goes on my bigger Glocks and the
G 34 is scary accurate .

Just carry the 26 as is, they are absolute reliable and think they are bigger gun. :D I never had a single jam with a 26 (owned a few) and my amigo has over 60.000 rounds without one issue! Try that with other small 9's. :mrgreen:

If looking for a 9mm can in a standard size that is easy to take apart and clean and strong as bull , look at the SWR Octane 9. See the cleaning vid in the SWR section. :P
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

I use a TM Posideon and AAC Evo 9 and both work fine on a M&P compact. Not much point in a compact carry piece and putting a giant silencer on it.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Notes and conditions:

Thanks!
After reading your post I'm confused...you want an Isis for it's "obvious versatility" but then you go on to say you don't have much interest in a 19. This leads me to believe you want something for the 26 and nothing else. I would say this is one of those cases when one of the "niche" suppressors like the Posidon or Abraxis (run wet) would be just the ticket. Other wise a TiRant, Isis(I'd wait for the new one), Octane, etc. would be great. You do know that you won't stop at one (host or suppressor) :wink:
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Yes, I want to suppress the G26. Emilio, indeed it does shoot like a bigger gun. I shoot it just as well as I shot my 17L. My first time out I was even able to get a few 3-shot cloverleafs at 7 yards :) . David, to me it sounds completely logical to have a gun that I can very easily conceal (G26), but then be able to use in the roles of larger guns (I.e. with a decent-sized suppressor rather than one restricted to wet-and-wiped shooting).

I completely understand all the reasons why a G19 is better for suppression. Like i said, I have read just about every thread on suppressing a G26 on this forum, and most of them mention this ;) . I also know all about the relative concealability and feel and capacity of the G19, but like I said I need the G26 for EDC for appendix carry when hunched over on a bicycle (tried both, and I *can* notice the difference).

Basically, its primary role was not as a suppressor host, and that wasn't even a thought when I bought it. Only recently after discovering how much I like it did I start looking into it. From what I understand, they don't tend to run well with the low-powered suppressor-specific loads, but do fine with defensive-level loads. Since I don't practice with reduced-power loads, this shouldn't be a problem for me.

So yes, while I understand there are better hosts out there, I am interested in suppressing this one. And to clarify, I just want to make sure the gun will actually function after investing like $800 minimum into a barrel + suppressor + transfer + stamp.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

I know your question relates to the G26 and 9mm, but I've done it with a G27 and I regret it. Awkward balance and the .40 is still somewhat loud in that short barrel. I much prefer the next size up, or mid-size/compact (e.g. G23/G19) and the 9mm suppresses much better too. Reliability with an AAC EVO-40 was not a problem.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

I used to have a Lone Wolf conversion barrel for my G27. The Trident-9 ran just fine on it. I couldn't see the sights, but at self-defense distances, I could have sighted "through" the can, or just point shot and done just fine. But for self defense, it would have been a bit longish to carry around.

I had thought at the time one of the mini cans such as the TM Posidon or the DeGroat Nano would have gone well with it. (I'm not sure if there was a full-sized Tirant at the time, let alone a mini. But that looks like a good option now as well).

I eventually sold the barrel, since I never really used it. That and I'd moved to a not-silencer-friendly state. That has since changed, so now I'm thinking again about a mini can.